Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

Not as I read it. Unless you misunderstand me and think I'm saying Nolan is good at "show, don't tell." I'm saying he's incapable of it.

And he's saying the scene shows perfectly fine.

His complaint is it also unnecessarily tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
As long as we're talking about Nolan...

I can't stand the way his films are edited, scenes change at breakneck speeds but the story progresses so slowly as to make all that urgency unnecessary.
I mean watch the first ten minutes of TDR after the joker's debut, it's just a barrage of 5 second scenes that cut out while characters are mid sentence.

Memento and Insomnia don't have that problem, but every thing post Batman Begins has the same annoying habit.

Also Guy Pearce as batman would have been sooooo awkward.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like he's worked with the same editor since Batman Begins.

It was a different guy before that.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Razorwired posted:

In the comics science is way forward. In Ms. Marvel people like Reed Richards and Tony Stark have pushed things far enough that an AP chemistry student can figure out how to make poo poo like super-stretchy polymers.

Parker is more than an AP chem student, he's one of the smartest people on the planet, the only reason he isn't geniusing it up all the time is he spends a lot of time/energy being Spider-man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aggressive pricing posted:

Parker is more than an AP chem student, he's one of the smartest people on the planet, the only reason he isn't geniusing it up all the time is he spends a lot of time/energy being Spider-man.

He's talking about a character in the recent Ms Marvel comic book who is a high school student, not Peter Parker.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Aggressive pricing posted:

I know games have the "things dragging this game down" thread, but this is something more irrationally irritating than dragging it down, and it is topical!

In Lego Marvel Superheroes, there are so many awesome little touches. Most characters have special things they can do, one of which is interacting with computer panels. This requires "genius" characters, like Tony Stark, Reed Richards, or Bruce Banner. Spider-Man/Peter Parker can't use them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EdibleBodyParts posted:

In Lego Marvel Superheroes, there are so many awesome little touches. Most characters have special things they can do, one of which is interacting with computer panels. This requires "genius" characters, like Tony Stark, Reed Richards, or Bruce Banner. Spider-Man/Peter Parker can't use them.
Makes sense to me. Peter may be a genius, able to invent incredible stuff like web fluid, but when it comes to practical stuff he is really dumb. Just the fact that he thinks the best use of his time is swinging around the city hoping to come across a crime happening tells you that.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Tiggum posted:

Makes sense to me. Peter may be a genius, able to invent incredible stuff like web fluid, but when it comes to practical stuff he is really dumb. Just the fact that he thinks the best use of his time is swinging around the city hoping to come across a crime happening tells you that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

So much for spider-hyphen-sense I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Morpheus posted:

So much for spider-hyphen-sense I guess.

Does not apply to bricks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Spider Hyphen Sense only works when it needs to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like Nolan's movies. Am I not cool now?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BiggerBoat posted:

I like Nolan's movies. Am I not cool now?

You never were, sorry. :(

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Yeah this is a guy who bitches about not having money when he could just go work for Tony Stark down the street and solve ALL OF HIS PROBLEMS. Dude's a total moron and we love him for it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah this is a guy who bitches about not having money when he could just go work for Tony Stark down the street and solve ALL OF HIS PROBLEMS. Dude's a total moron and we love him for it.

He actually works at Stark Enterprises for a minute. Then Tony becomes Power Suit Hitler and pisses everyone off(comic books are hella dumb.)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Heather Graham in "From Hell" pretty much wrecked the movie for me. Overall it was pretty decent but her "I'm ENGLISH I AM WHAT WHAT JOLLY ROGER TO THE QUEEN EATING CHIPS ON THE LIFT" accent is atrocious.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Heather Graham in "From Hell" pretty much wrecked the movie for me. Overall it was pretty decent but her "I'm ENGLISH I AM WHAT WHAT JOLLY ROGER TO THE QUEEN EATING CHIPS ON THE LIFT" accent is atrocious.

Jeez, it's not her fault the British talk that way

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Mister Nobody posted:

As long as we're talking about Nolan...

I can't stand the way his films are edited, scenes change at breakneck speeds but the story progresses so slowly as to make all that urgency unnecessary.
I mean watch the first ten minutes of TDR after the joker's debut, it's just a barrage of 5 second scenes that cut out while characters are mid sentence.

Memento and Insomnia don't have that problem, but every thing post Batman Begins has the same annoying habit.

After watching Transcendence, I'm pretty sure we can squarely blame Wally Pfister for that. The first act of that movie is almost nausea-inducing with the rate at which it switches scenes and time-frames. It must have worked in TDK though, as I didn't even notice it until rewatching.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MrJacobs posted:

That's why I love Spider-Man. He's the epitome of a genius missing the forest for the trees. He could buy Aunt May a mansion in Florida and himself a penthouse next to Central Park but he's too wrapped up in the irrelevant minutia of his teenage life. I remember something where Dr. Reed offers him a research fellowship and Peter just never shows up because The Rhino was eating pizza or something.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I really think Peter not tapping into his full potential is partly due to a lot of writers insisting on keeping him a perpetual teenager who can't prioritize or keep his personal life in check

You see he's too busy fighting supercrime to get his life in order, even though there are people out there who work at jobs with incredible amount of pressure and responsibility yet manage to keep their poo poo together.

Personally I really liked it when he was a teacher, I could relate to him better as a young adult, rather than some kid who takes blurry photographs for poo poo money to buys his aunt arthritis meds and web fluid ingredients.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mister Nobody posted:

I really think Peter not tapping into his full potential is partly due to a lot of writers insisting on keeping him a perpetual teenager who can't prioritize or keep his personal life in check

See also the beloved arc, "One More Day".

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Razorwired posted:

He actually works at Stark Enterprises for a minute. Then Tony becomes Power Suit Hitler and pisses everyone off(comic books are hella dumb.)

It's really stupid that all these comic book guys are in the same universe, and it's disappointing that the movies are headed in the same direction

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
People can't relate to a Peter Parker who's married therefore we will make it so that he sells his marriage to not-Satan in order to help his aunt who got shot and cannot be healed by anyone in the entire world - not even Doctor Steven Strange or Reed Richards.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Synonamess Botch posted:

It's really stupid that all these comic book guys are in the same universe, and it's disappointing that the movies are headed in the same direction

That's just like, your opinion man.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hope the next spider-man movie skips ahead to Doc Ock bodysnatching Peter

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Urgh, thanks for reminding me about that horrible horrible accent. It's up there with Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Are you British by the way? As a Brit that accent stands out a thousand miles to me and I wondered if Americans picked up on how phoney it sounds too. Same deal with Keanu Reeves in Dracula and one of the worst offenders is Russell Crowe's attempt at a Northern accent in Robin Hood. He sounds like a mishmash of faux Irish/Cockney/Aussi and nothing at all like a Northerner.

For some reason though I can totally accept Kevin Costner as an English Lord in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I say to myself 'he got tortured on the crusades, they must have tortured his voice box' and then I enjoy how absurd the film is. Russell Crowe, on the other hand, just pisses me off with his try hard accent. He needs to stop talking and fire some loving arrows in slow mo or get shot over a wall from a catapult or something fun :mad:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hope the next spider-man movie skips ahead to Doc Ock bodysnatching Peter

Well, I did spot (a prototype of) the arms in the research lab basement or whatever when that dude went to gently caress himself up with the serum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugged me about From Hell is that they took Alan Moore's meticulously researched book and just added gibberish to it. Like making the main character an opium addicted psychic. It's like someone read a summary of the comic and saw that a character in it was psychic but missed the part where in the end he admits he made it all up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well master auteur Uwe Boll did say that you can't have a good character if he doesn't have super powers. Good advice.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Aug 19, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Synonamess Botch posted:

I dislike fun things too.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

eating only apples posted:

I think The Prestige is my favourite movie, but there's a bunch of dialogue at the end that bugs me.

Angier has just been shot and takes the time to commentate his realisation - and the audience's realisation - that Borden was actually using a double. "Brothers... twins... you were Fallon all along..." There's the standard flashbacks to previous moments in the film, most of which have extra revealing moments added, which is all great and interesting and does a good job of answering the questions that need answering - but over it all is Angier and Borden explaining everything awkwardly as though the audience wouldn't have understood if it wasn't explicitly explained.

It's a clever film that assumes the audience can understand what it's saying, and most of that dialogue is completely unnecessary.

I just watched this today, only knowing that there was going to be a clever twist. But Jesus Christ that dialogue was annoying. I'm not very quick when it comes to finding the twist, but Fallon being a mute and always with his face hidden with quick cuts wasn't very subtle. If they had tried to play it more straight, it probably would have fooled me for longer. The general audience wouldn't be missing out anyway it seems. I think the funniest thing was how bad they both were at seeing past each other's disguises. Especially when Angier presumably had Fallon (or Borden?) in his possession for a good deal of time. "In fact, he doesn't seem to say much at all!" - Good catch there, Angier :mmmhmm:

Still a really good movie that I finally got around to watch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I personally find it hilarious that newspaper spiderman is the only one who has his poo poo together. He's married, has a stable financial situation, and is generally well-liked by everyone.

He also spends most of his time watching TV, and his recent arc (after fighting Iron Jonah) consists entirely of Peter going around taking pictures of Doc Ock solving crimes instead of Spiderman.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tunicate posted:

I personally find it hilarious that newspaper spiderman is the only one who has his poo poo together. He's married, has a stable financial situation, and is generally well-liked by everyone.

He also spends most of his time watching TV, and his recent arc (after fighting Iron Jonah) consists entirely of Peter going around taking pictures of Doc Ock solving crimes instead of Spiderman.

They joys of no editorial demands.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does Spider-man ever just get a lawyer and start taking donations? Because him poor mouthing and delivering pizza to make ends meet was really annoying in that one movie.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Does Spider-man ever just get a lawyer and start taking donations? Because him poor mouthing and delivering pizza to make ends meet was really annoying in that one movie.

You think the villains care about attorney client privilege?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They would if the lawyer was She-Hulk.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Scoofles posted:

Urgh, thanks for reminding me about that horrible horrible accent. It's up there with Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Are you British by the way? As a Brit that accent stands out a thousand miles to me and I wondered if Americans picked up on how phoney it sounds too. Same deal with Keanu Reeves in Dracula and one of the worst offenders is Russell Crowe's attempt at a Northern accent in Robin Hood. He sounds like a mishmash of faux Irish/Cockney/Aussi and nothing at all like a Northerner.

For some reason though I can totally accept Kevin Costner as an English Lord in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I say to myself 'he got tortured on the crusades, they must have tortured his voice box' and then I enjoy how absurd the film is. Russell Crowe, on the other hand, just pisses me off with his try hard accent. He needs to stop talking and fire some loving arrows in slow mo or get shot over a wall from a catapult or something fun :mad:

Not English, bad accents just bug the poo poo out of me.
Notable Offenders:
Enemy At The Gates, where no one other than Bob Hoskins even attempts either a russian or german accent
Richard Gere in The Jackal
Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own " I need the mooooonie Toom!"
Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away
The Peter Sellers movie wher he plays an Indian Guy

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Some more bad accents:
That red haired guy's Australian accent in Pacific Rim.
Sean Connery being cast as an Irishman in The Untouchables.
Kate Beckinsale's Romanian(?) accent in Van Helsing.
Kevin Kline's South African (it sounded more posh English) accent in Cry Freedom.
Every time Keanu Reeves tries to do an accent.
Nic Cage's Italian accent in Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
Morgan Freeman's Xhosa accent in Invictus. Sounded nothing like Nelson Mandela.
Tim Curry is pretty bad at accents, especially his Romanian one in Congo, that was hilarious. But the movies he's in are usually pretty stupid anyway so he's forgiven.
The Boston accents in Thirteen Days are usually pretty terrible but good god, Kevin Costner's was horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tho5ZYLiuoc

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Aug 20, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theironjef posted:

They would if the lawyer was She-Hulk.

This idea is so newspaper spiderman it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I watched the French horror movie Inside recently. It started off really creepy, and then just became a lovely slasher.
It bothered me that after having a woman try to break a window to enter her house, she goes into a dark room to develop her pictures, instead of just getting the gently caress out of the house.
The whole idea that she didn't know that someone survived the crash was also loving stupid.