Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

You know, Crysis might be pretty close in terms of fast paced combat.

Oh poo poo, Aliens, vs Predator. gently caress yeah.

Played and beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Drifter posted:

Mark of the Ninja is pretty darn good. To a lesser extent, Gunpoint.

Splinter Cell Blacklist I've heard does good things, alongside Deus Ex HR - no traps, though. Dark Messiah is fun, and fluid, combat-wise, but no stealth or anything like that.

Dishonored's a rather unique game in terms of playstyle, unfortunately. Thief 2 and 3 might be the closest, with maybe Hitman Bloodmoney coming down the line. But those are pushing it.

Blacklist is very good because you either play it like Conviction or play it like the old Splinter Cell games. Both playstyles are very doable.

Story is stupid as poo poo though. :v:

edit: Goddamn Manhunt is just one tense rear end game. Never thought choking someone with a plastic bag would be so violent.

double edit: You are a good man Drifter. Double on Rainbow Six Vegas. :hfive: God I love T Hunt. IT was so drat tense.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 19, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Played and beat.

It's older, but everyone talks up Manhunt.

read up on it a bit and decide if it's your thing.

I personally have only Played Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory of the Splinter Cells, and gently caress it was pretty loving fun going all stealth-like.

I just would also like to suggest Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 for your stealth/strategyy needs (the only rainbow six I've played. loving fun as hell, though). It's a really solid game you'll to stealth and then gently caress up and then go balls out NYPD-style on enemies. No one left alive :unsmigghh::respek::black101:

Oh poo poo, also, check out Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay. Great game in a similar type.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 19, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Add me on steam I'm going to buy you a game because that looks exactly what I want and I've been looking for like 2 weeks.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus/

:tipshat: Done.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enjoy the game, I chose it from your wishlist at random

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Can anyone tell me about their experience playing Secrets of Raetikon? It's $5 for another day or so and if it's a less personal but more puzzle based copy of Shelter where you play as a bird I'll probably buy it. Hard to tell much about it at all from the trailer other than I like the art style.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

extra stout posted:

Can anyone tell me about their experience playing Secrets of Raetikon? It's $5 for another day or so and if it's a less personal but more puzzle based copy of Shelter where you play as a bird I'll probably buy it. Hard to tell much about it at all from the trailer other than I like the art style.

The art style is nice, but there are a couple of annoying mechanics. There are a number of enemies that can damage you, but your options to fight back are limited, awkward to use, and may require a bunch of attempts to hit even once. Worse, there are enemies who will steal the thing you're carrying and just run away for a very long time, and pursuing them can get really frustrating. The ending is a big bowl of WTF and there isn't a coherent narrative I could find beyond doing things because video game.

I paid $7.50 for it, I think, and didn't really feel like it was worth that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

extra stout posted:

Short version:
It's Ecco the Dolphin, except you're a bird.

Longer version:
You're a bird and you fly around finding and collecting little triangle pieces and solving some small physics puzzles to try and reactivate monuments or something. Story fragments are told through a direct alphabet replacement cipher which you can figure out, or you can collect hints to help you figure out what symbol is what letter. It's a neat game you can blow through in 5 hours I guess(I'm 2 hours in maybe?), though other animals can be assholes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Wait is Long War actually good now? I uninstalled XCOM because I personally found Long War to be poo poo.

When was the last time you played it? Long war still has a few balance issues but overall it's really good with a much more interesting campaign where the aliens actually research, have resources to manage, etc, there are more classes with more balanced and interesting perk choices, combat with aliens that behave in a more rational manner, and so on. It's a great mod.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Drifter posted:

It's older, but everyone talks up Manhunt.

read up on it a bit and decide if it's your thing.

I personally have only Played Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory of the Splinter Cells, and gently caress it was pretty loving fun going all stealth-like.

I just would also like to suggest Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 for your stealth/strategyy needs (the only rainbow six I've played. loving fun as hell, though). It's a really solid game you'll to stealth and then gently caress up and then go balls out NYPD-style on enemies. No one left alive :unsmigghh::respek::black101:

Oh poo poo, also, check out Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay. Great game in a similar type.

manhunt is broken on pc iirc

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImPureAwesome posted:

manhunt is broken on pc iirc

People say it runs just fine on their win7 64bit box. It might take a mod. Don't know.
I also realized Riddick isn't sold on steam anymore, either.

Also, played my first two missions in Long War and holy gently caress, there's so much more to this game, it's great. It feels so great. :allears:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm surprised there isn't a good program that's like Pandora for video games, where you punch in games you like, and get a list of mechanically similar ones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a good program that's like Pandora for video games, where you punch in games you like, and get a list of mechanically similar ones.

tbh it's called google - "games like [X] steam"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

That's what Steam's tags are for, in theory.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Turtlicious posted:

The problem is that "mechanically similar" can mean a lot of things. Guacamelee and Valdis story should theoretically be mechanically similar, but they're two very different games with very different mechanics, and the similarities are only skin deep. So you'd end up getting a lot of games that should play like what you're thinking of, but don't.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

The problem is that "mechanically similar" can mean a lot of things. Guacamelee and Valdis story should theoretically be mechanically similar, but they're two very different games with very different mechanics, and the similarities are only skin deep. So you'd end up getting a lot of games that should play like what you're thinking of, but don't.

No no. They're the same. They're both metroidvania rogue-likes.
Oh, and 'indie'.
:colbert:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

Ehhhh, those games are still similar enough and a good match if you're looking for "games kinda like this game I like" and not "game exactly like this game I like". That's also what a recommendation list should accomplish.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm the worst Dishonored player, finished the main game with Ghost and Clean Hands yesterday and even after starting the first DLC I can't stop playing no-kills/detections with minimal power-usage because sneaking up to people and knocking them out without anyone noticing is so satisfying.

Anyway, game is still very pretty and I love taking screenshots in it.

The DLC slaughterhouse mission has also taught me that it really sucks rear end being a whale in the Dishonored universe.

(Not pictured: its guts slowly bleeding out due to its stomach being cut open and the constant pained noise it makes because it's being electrocuted for increased oil generation)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Best mountain based RPG of 2014 would play again

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Turtlicious posted:

Add me on steam I'm going to buy you a game because that looks exactly what I want and I've been looking for like 2 weeks.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus/

Funniest thing about this is that Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was made by the same studio as Dishonored. Even earlier they made Arx Fatalis which is a pretty good dungeon crawler romp with some neat lore and mechanics but IIRC it's not nearly as fast paced and accessible as their later games.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tecman posted:

I haven't been following that game closely, is it complete rubbish or something?

The worst platform-game design I've seen since the boom of the early-mid 90s (the sort of thing you'd expect from a Titus game) coupled to an awful script. Graphically it's "OK" if horribly samey and as for voice acting, well it's using the TV show's cast. I bought it on PS3 at release (when they were saying it was going to be Playstation exclusive and never coming to PC) and it's genuinely the worst (non bundle) game purchase I have made in 10+ years.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Groupees' Be Mine 14 is coming soon.

These are apparently the games:

1. Betrayer
2. Consortium
3. Whispering Willows
4. The Mysterious Cities of Gold
5. Meltdown
6. Little Big Adventure 2
7. Legacy!

I've had my eyes on Consortium for some time now, so this is looking good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you can get over the central conceit of the game you might enjoy it. Wish they would have dumped that plot and worked with the regular goings on of a Consortium shi.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dark Messiah is great and I believe by the same studio as Dishonored. They also made Arx Fatalis which is old but good.
Dark Souls (2) you've probably already played. While you don't have the awesome powers and sneaking isn't a thing, that game does traps pretty well.
This game looks pretty promising, but maybe someone who has actually played it can chime in on whether it's good or not.
The new Shadow Warrior game has nice fast-paced sword play.

SynthOrange posted:

If you can get over the central conceit of the game you might enjoy it. Wish they would have dumped that plot and worked with the regular goings on of a Consortium shi.
I never could get into that game. I got it on release and tried it, but stopped because I couldn't concentrate and then when they re-released it the same thing happened again.

Edit: The Bioshock games are similar when it comes having cool powers and a unique game universe.

Edit: Someone mentioned Mark of the Ninja. Definitely get that. It's such a good game and one of the few games I completed 100% just because all the challenges were fun.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 19, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When was the last time you played it? Long war still has a few balance issues but overall it's really good with a much more interesting campaign where the aliens actually research, have resources to manage, etc, there are more classes with more balanced and interesting perk choices, combat with aliens that behave in a more rational manner, and so on. It's a great mod.

Endorsing this. Long War really gives XCOM a new lease on life. There's a lot of new content, improved balance, it feels more like an actual campaign vs the aliens instead of a boardgame about fighting them. Don't get me wrong, I liked XCOM fine, but it had a more gamey feel than Long War. Take Abduction missions for example: In vanilla you just get a popup every so often saying "Oh poo poo, aliens! Pick one of these 3 missions!" whereas in LW the aliens send out an Abductor ship out on a mission - if you have satellites and air coverage you can see it coming and [try to] shoot it down, or just wait and do the mission. How often Abductors appear also depends on how well the aliens are doing. There's also a bunch of bugfixes and QoL stuff. On the down side, the late game can become a bit of a slog when you need to save up Meld for the fancy endgame equipment, but you've beaten up the aliens enough that they don't have much.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Tips for how to play Dark Messiah the best way:

1) Get the ice spell

2) Spend the rest of the game making enemies slip over into spikes/off cliffs etc.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rage McDougal posted:

Tips for how to play Dark Messiah the best way:

1) Get the ice spell

2) Spend the rest of the game making enemies slip over into spikes/off cliffs etc.
Kicking and laughing at them when they're down.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

Kanfy posted:

Anyway, game is still very pretty and I love taking screenshots in it.

I also liked taking screenshots of Dishonored.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hogo Fogo posted:

Groupees' Be Mine 14 is coming soon.

These are apparently the games:

1. Betrayer
2. Consortium
3. Whispering Willows
4. The Mysterious Cities of Gold
5. Meltdown
6. Little Big Adventure 2
7. Legacy!

I've had my eyes on Consortium for some time now, so this is looking good.
I have no idea how well they've aged but Little Big Adventure 1&2 were some of my favourite games in high school.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have no idea how well they've aged but Little Big Adventure 1&2 were some of my favourite games in high school.

I thought they aged pretty poorly. When I played them in 2003 :psyduck:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

LBA has the NPC who's all excited about the fact they're making a new Star Wars movie, so in that respect it's aged terribly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Splinter Cell: Blacklist was really excellent but I feel like it was crippled out of the gate since a lot of goodwill had been lost with fans over the last couple of games. As a big fan of the series since Chaos Theory it was really disheartening to see it turned into basically a shooter, although I realize there were people that liked Conviction. It's refreshing that they actually listened to the fans though and designed Blacklist in such a way that you can pretty much choose your playstyle.

gently caress the dogs though, dogs in stealth games are always terrible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Betrayer is a pretty neat game and easily makes that bundle worth it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The references, the graphics and gameplay aged not that well. The game expects you to find stuff on your own and doesn't give you markers or giant red arrows pointing you in any direction. That's the main appeal of both games. They still have great soundtrack and are really fun to explore.

There was a huge bug in LBP1 if you did some objectives in the wrong order (get something from the museum, I think?) then you could screw your savefile to make the game unwinnable.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ookiimarukochan posted:

LBA has the NPC who's all excited about the fact they're making a new Star Wars movie, so in that respect it's aged terribly

Or perhaps it's aged really well, considering.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

All this talk of Dishonored made me want to go finish it, but then I remembered why I didn't...

I played a good chunk of the game in offline mode, and now if I start it with Steam in online mode it immediately crashes. It runs fine if I put Steam back into offline, but it's irritating :argh:. I disabled cloud saves for Dishonored (I'm assuming the problem is my save is local and it's looking for a cloud version...) verified files and even wiped local content and reinstalled, but it can't seem to get past that hurdle.

I found some people having issues with it before but the only solution seemed to be to wipe out all your saves and let it do a fresh cloud sync, and I didn't want to risk my progress... maybe I should just start over again now that I haven't played for awhile :smith:

Anyone heard of this problem and have a newer solution?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tagra posted:

All this talk of Dishonored made me want to go finish it, but then I remembered why I didn't...

I played a good chunk of the game in offline mode, and now if I start it with Steam in online mode it immediately crashes. It runs fine if I put Steam back into offline, but it's irritating :argh:. I disabled cloud saves for Dishonored (I'm assuming the problem is my save is local and it's looking for a cloud version...) verified files and even wiped local content and reinstalled, but it can't seem to get past that hurdle.

I found some people having issues with it before but the only solution seemed to be to wipe out all your saves and let it do a fresh cloud sync, and I didn't want to risk my progress... maybe I should just start over again now that I haven't played for awhile :smith:

Anyone heard of this problem and have a newer solution?

Not really the solution you're looking for but you could always just try and find a save online that resembles yours pretty closely and throw it into the save folder on your computer. It's not a perfect solution but it'd be easier than starting from scratch.

Skywind is looking really cool, just watched the new teaser video for it where they showed off some various locales. It's really cool that people put together such massive content mods for nothing more than something to put on their resume.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 19, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Hopefully it's flipped right back around to being topical. :unsmith:

Tagra posted:

You could just move your saves and let it do a fresh sync, then put them back and keep playing offline if that doesn't work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Take Abduction missions for example: In vanilla you just get a popup every so often saying "Oh poo poo, aliens! Pick one of these 3 missions!" whereas in LW the aliens send out an Abductor ship out on a mission - if you have satellites and air coverage you can see it coming and [try to] shoot it down, or just wait and do the mission.
That mechanic exists in vanilla but is disabled by default although you can enable it through an ini edit. XCOM's design team would have tested air combat at that scale and saw it heavily influenced a disproportionate amount of the game's difficulty. The Long War is technically interesting but the game design is really modders.txt where features are added without care of interaction between systems. The XCOM thread is mostly TLW chat as XCOM has been talked to death and there isn't another place to speak about specific total conversion mods. To that end it'd be nice if a subforum existed to cover large mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That mechanic exists in vanilla but is disabled by default although you can enable it through an ini edit. XCOM's design team would have tested air combat at that scale and saw it heavily influenced a disproportionate amount of the game's difficulty. The Long War is technically interesting but the game design is really modders.txt where features are added without care of interaction between systems. The XCOM thread is mostly TLW chat as XCOM has been talked to death and there isn't another place to speak about specific total conversion mods. To that end it'd be nice if a subforum existed to cover large mods.

Yeah the problem you hit is basically that air combat becomes way more important and air combat is literally a roll of the dice.

• Locked thread