Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Sgt. Politeness posted:

poo poo, I totally saw the crane game guy at Gen Con. drat, we coulda done a secret handshake or something.
Haha, I am married to the crane game guy, I'll do a secret handshake for you and righteously confuse him. One dude did recognize me as a goon from my build posts in the DIY subforum cosplay thread and I felt pretty cool and also slightly nerdier than I usually do when dressed as a Warham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw one of these in Moab, Utah as well.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Well that's one way to do a GLaDOS cosplay.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

McPantserton posted:

Hopefully nobody minds a selfie post of semi-posed con photos but I just got back from GenCon and I'm really happy with how my new costume turned out. :)

I was very pleased to see a likeness of myself on this man's arm.

Very nicely done, as usual. There appears to be an electrical wire or actuator of some sort in claw-in-back guy's left hand. What does it do?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McPantserton posted:

Hopefully nobody minds a selfie post of semi-posed con photos but I just got back from GenCon and I'm really happy with how my new costume turned out. :)

It looks like someone plucked you from one of the Relic WH40k games. So in other words awesome.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

joat mon posted:

Very nicely done, as usual. There appears to be an electrical wire or actuator of some sort in claw-in-back guy's left hand. What does it do?

His robo arm is articulated, he can pull the cord and the joints move. I thought it was even cooler that the arm moves when he walks since the joints are strung with bungee cords.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm hoping to get some nicer photos within the next few weeks, hopefully nobody minds too much if I post some once they're done!

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Yes, yeeeeeeeees, this is such a welcome change from boring Who chat. Everyone go play some XCOM right now. And if you've already played too much XCOM, download the Long War mod and play that.

For content, my friend's Malon:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

As much as I love the Dr Who circlejerk going on, I gotta laugh at the fact that as I scrolled down to this picture, Motorhead's "Steal your Face" was playing on pandora.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

McPantserton posted:

His robo arm is articulated, he can pull the cord and the joints move. I thought it was even cooler that the arm moves when he walks since the joints are strung with bungee cords.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm hoping to get some nicer photos within the next few weeks, hopefully nobody minds too much if I post some once they're done!

You might even have enough skulls to meet approval with the GBS WH40k thread.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Trast posted:

enough skulls

That's not how 40k works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Trast posted:

Nope. Not. Even. Close.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amazing as always. :3:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

joat mon posted:

I think he's a techpriest.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

I would like to call attention to the fact that this gentleman is cosplaying:
-a humanized version...
--of an animated pony version...
---of the original human(ish) character.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hydrolith posted:

I think he's a techpriest.

Thanks. The extent of my Warhammer knowledge is that: 1. Visually, it feels like the Ral Partha guys took a blank slate and just went nuts, and then went more nuts, and 2. It didn't come out until after my (first) D&D phase was over.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Oh poo poo, I saw you guys walk by a few times over the weekend, I didn't even think to check this thread. Your stuff looked even better in person.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Trast posted:

:orks101: Like dakka, deyz nevah enuff skullz. :orks:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Me and a bunch of my friends cosplayed the poo poo outa Gen Con this year
The Will from Saga, Cassidy from Preacher, and Hawkguy complete with 8 different trick arrows, a Pizza Dog, and a vhs tape of Dog Cop (I went bonkers on prop building for his costume)

Me as a Tracksuit Dracula

most of the Endless (can never get a Despair)

and my buddy as a somewhat spoilery Dengo

Some favorites:

Bonus Lying Ca...wait no

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I'll never understand why people dress as the most obscure or ironic character they can find instead of a character they actually like. The dozen people who recognize Robbie at Comic-Con can't be worth the hundreds of hours it took to make that costume.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Irish Joe posted:

I'll never understand why people dress as the most obscure or ironic character they can find instead of a character they actually like. The dozen people who recognize Robbie at Comic-Con can't be worth the hundreds of hours it took to make that costume.

Because it's unique, and will get your picture on the internet for all those people who grew up in the 90s to see and think "whoa, I connect with that somehow!"

Or you could be the thousandth Altair/Enzo cosplayer, that works too.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Me as a Tracksuit Dracula Tracula

:colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

I was going to go to NYCC in my Sixth Doctor Who getup again but instead I'll go as this post.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Drone posted:

Because it's unique, and will get your picture on the internet for all those people who grew up in the 90s to see and think "whoa, I connect with that somehow!"

Or you could be the thousandth Altair/Enzo cosplayer, that works too.

Also because the more unique it is the less chance there of running into someone who did it better.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Irish Joe posted:

Why would you just assume nobody liked Dinosaurs?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Irish Joe posted:

Dude, I cosplay as obscure, ironic characters that I also actually like. They're not mutually exclusive. See my Zoidberg Jesus earlier in the thread, which despite appearing for about 5 seconds in a single episode, was the MOST recognized/popular cosplay I've ever done. Even if people don't know your reference, if it's unique and cool looking people will appreciate it.

Also, that Robbie costume is the loving bomb and I would have given that guy a high five.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Guys stop skull shaming. :colbert:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Coming from someone who gets called a hipster by his friends for how "obscure" his costume choices are, sometimes it comes down to naivety.
I'm sure Robbie was thinking everyone 25 to 35 has seen Dinosaurs and not how relevant his costume was gonna be just like I was thinking "hey I'll dress like one of the most recognizable characters in one of the most award winning new comics that all my friends love" and not "do people know they make comics that aren't DC or Marvel?"

Of course being one of a hundred Clouds or a scrawny home made Batman next to a buff Alex Ross Batman would suck but honestly sometimes you just go as something you think people will enjoy seeing, and I can assure you more people enjoyed his costume than any of mine.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I recognize that costume and have no clue who most the other people are in the thread you quoted. Obscurity is relative.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Just because you aren't cognitive in the 90s that doesn't mean a dinosaurs costume is obscure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The real risk of that Robbie costume is that all the people who aren't aware of the show will just assume you're a furry

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Aug 20, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The real risk of that Robbie costume is that all the people who aren't aware to the show will just assume you're a furry

Or hey, two birds one stone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My meager Gencon contribution. I spent too much time standing in lines to take as many pictures as I would have liked.

Wish I had gotten a better angle for that, it was a pretty good costume. Iconic Inquisitor from Pathfinder, if I'm remembering right.

I like how it initially looks as though Raven is hovering.

I can't remember which Magic card she told me this was based off of. All I know is that it isn't Liliana, but it was from some recent limited set.

Protoman's Buster Weapon made the charging noise. Also, these two were based off the band's version.

And then a more traditional approach.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I ever dress as Protoman to a con I want to have little music boxes set up around the center to play the whistle music cue via a button on my robot arm before I walk through.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I think the Robbie getup is awesome.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
The guy with the Robbie costume also dresses up like an imp from Doom.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Protoman's Buster Weapon made the charging noise. Also, these two were based off the band's version.

And then a more traditional approach.
[/quote]

I also had my version of Protomen (from the band) out on Saturday(sorry about the quality of cell phone pictures. Hopefully better ones are to come from my friend who was acting as my blind guide):

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

the_steve posted:

I can't remember which Magic card she told me this was based off of. All I know is that it isn't Liliana, but it was from some recent limited set.

Marchesa, the Black Rose.

For reference:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Protomens stuff! I always like to see the different ideas people have for all that. :3:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kitty Burger posted:

The guy with the Robbie costume also dresses up like an imp from Doom.

This looks great right up until those sandal things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pope Guilty posted:

This looks great right up until those sandal things.

I saw a cosplayer walking around the Gamescom vendor hall last week wearing no shoes at all.

Barefoot.

The soles of her fleet were jet loving black, and it was incredibly disgusting.

• Locked thread