Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I don't hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I don't hate that.

yeah, at least it looks pretty cleanly done

I think that particular color is a little out of place with the existing color interior scheme

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wait until you see an actual LSB leather interior. It's like they skinned papa smurf and all his little family.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wait until you see an actual LSB leather interior. It's like they skinned papa smurf and all his little family.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
not gonna lie i thought that was a picture of the interior of that civic some dude was trying to pass off as a 3 series

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Say, what do you think of the dealers who glue their own 3D faux-chrome plastic emblems to every car they sell? Personally I like them because otherwise there's no way my neighbors would know I bought the HANK TAYLOR AUTOMALL edition.

How do you feel about a picture of the dealer's dumb face on your car?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

taco_fox posted:

How do you feel about a picture of the dealer's dumb face on your car?

As long as it's just glue/tape and not drilled like some of those fuckos do to their poor cars.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Holy poo poo that is awful. That's a stock BMW interior?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probably a custom factory ordered interior, usually called an "individual" order.

It's the perfect interior for the kind of toolbag that orders a SMG anyway

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Terrible car stuff: TPMS light came on the other night, came out to a nearly flat left rear tire. Added air, it was halfway flat by the next morning so I brought it to a tire place to see if they could patch it. The tech actually rolled it out into the lobby from the bay and said he needed to shake my hand because he'd never seen something like this before - there were FIVE nails in the tire, and miraculously it would still hold air (somewhat). Unfortunately that meant they couldn't patch it and I had to buy a new one, which sucks but oh well. They're doing massive construction right near my workplace and it is unavoidable to drive through the site so I'm sure poor left rear was a victim of that.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Check your local laws, but in some places construction companies are liable for damage caused by debris in active lanes of traffic, they (or possibly the property owner) might be required to reimburse you for the tire.

I didn't take any pictures but I have a terrible car stuff story:

I was driving a company van for work at about 70mph down a mostly level rural two-lane highway when my right-rear tire blew out. It was my first ever blowout, I knew it wouldn't be like the movies where the van exploded then flipped into a ditch, but was surprised at just how unstable it became. I pulled over, out of the lane but still on the pavement, emergency flashers on, and began the tire-changing process with the lovely factory scissor jack at the recommended jacking point. I checked! I emphasize that because right as I was putting the new wheel on the lug studs, an 18-wheeler went by close enough and fast enough that the loving van fell off the jack.

Yes, the brake was set. I don't know if it works, but it was set.

Fortunately the wheel stuck on one of the lugs when it fell and got cocked sideways, so all I had to do was lower the jack a bit and finish putting the tire on, but watching that van lurch while I was lining up a wheel was definitely at least terrifying car stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is it obvious that I'm originally from Northern Wisconsin when I think, "That doesn't look too bad..."

I'm from Texas, and aside from the exhaust and sway bar, my reaction was "meh, it's barely on the Sockington scale". Of course, I can't see the floors from that angle...

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I emphasize that because right as I was putting the new wheel on the lug studs, an 18-wheeler went by close enough and fast enough that the loving van fell off the jack.

Not surprised. I've been stuck on the shoulder and had the entire car rock violently when an 18 wheeler blew by. I've also been pushed almost out of my lane by an 18 wheeler hauling much more rear end than I was.

Try to get further off the road next time; worst case, throw on the flashers, drive slowly to the next exit to get off the highway and into a parking lot. As long as you're going slow and the tire is in one piece, it shouldn't hurt the wheel (... much). Also, never use a jack on dirt (not saying you did, but I've tried it.. it didn't end well).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 19, 2014

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The next exit was about 10 miles away and the tire was a shredded wreck by the time I got stopped. I will proudly state that the right edge of the tires were less than two inches from the edge of the asphalt. The left side was two feet to the right of the yellow line.

In the future my plan is to call AAA and let them change it for me, or tow the van to a tire shop and call the office. I'm paid hourly anyway. :v:

It was doubly annoying because it happened on Friday, not even a week after the Sunday I spent 30 minutes (I was told it would be an hour) on the side of the road waiting for a surprisingly quick and friendly tow truck driver to tow my miata home with a broken timing belt.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Using a broken timing belt to tow a car would be pretty difficult, but it reminded me of this guy who I think has been posted in the thread before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY&t=412s

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Using a broken timing belt to tow a car would be pretty difficult, but it reminded me of this guy who I think has been posted in the thread before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY&t=412s

"cant cure stupid?" RV driver made a mistake and that slackjawed yokel is letting the guy drive off again without doing anything...

he didn't even TRY to "fix stupid"

<edit> I went back a bit... drat.... very odd

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Not surprised. I've been stuck on the shoulder and had the entire car rock violently when an 18 wheeler blew by. I've also been pushed almost out of my lane by an 18 wheeler hauling much more rear end than I was.

They move an incredible amount of air. When I'm riding my motorcycle on the interstate and I pass an 18-wheeler in the next lane, there's a distinct wall of air-blast roughly beside the cab's mirrors. You cruise alongside the box at a steady speed and throttle, then hit that zone and it's like a force field or something. It holds you back and gives you a good boot towards the outside. Have to add throttle to punch through it, and then it's instantly back to the way it was before you got to the truck. Pretty creepy if you're not expecting it.

vvv well, yeah, I feel it in my car, but it's a whole lot more...visceral...when you and the vehicle together weigh about 550 pounds and a sideways force induces a turn :unsmigghh:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 19, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

They move an incredible amount of air. When I'm riding my motorcycle on the interstate and I pass an 18-wheeler in the next lane, there's a distinct wall of air-blast roughly beside the cab's mirrors. You cruise alongside the box at a steady speed and throttle, then hit that zone and it's like a force field or something. It holds you back and gives you a good boot towards the outside. Have to add throttle to punch through it, and then it's instantly back to the way it was before you got to the truck. Pretty creepy if you're not expecting it.

Happens in cars, too. Obviously heavier cars feel it less, but it's always there.

Not really anything that can be done about it, trucks are huge and even if they made the front look like a missile all that air would still be trying to get the gently caress out of the way.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

That's true, and I've experienced that shockwave both on motorcycles and in the miata with the top down. I just never thought it would be strong enough to push a van off of a jack, even a lovely scissor jack. I guess the van just had enough surface area for the wave to move it.

It also reminded me of the first time I ever used a scissor jack, which managed to raise the tire exactly zero inches off the pavement before collapsing into a heap of twisted garbage. Which is why I was careful to be as clear of the vehicle as possible while changing the tire. It was still terrifying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was younger and poorer, I lugged around a jack stand in my car I was that paranoid about scissor jacks. At one point I even had a small hydraulic jack on board. :v:

Now I have quality tires that I actually check for wear, and if it all goes to poo poo, roadside assistance. Manufacturer supplied jacks are a loving joke.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
AAA and a cell phone are the only tools I carry in my car anymore.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I'd never had roadside assistance before about four months ago when my grandma got it for me for my birthday. I would have used it for the van tire change but I had plans later that night and didn't want to spend all night waiting for some guy to drive out into the middle of loving nowhere to change a tire when I could do it myself in fifteen minutes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Getting passed by big trucks in my VW bus was always terrifying. It had about 12 inches of play in the steering and when the front of the truck went past it would push me to the right and then after it would suck me to the left. After a while I could time it just right and my bus straight in my lane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Manufacturer supplied jacks are a loving joke.

When I was in college, I used exclusively the OEM jack and OEM 8 inch lug wrench from my shitbox MX-3 (ok, and a $20 Canadian Tire torque wrench) to swap between winter and all-season tires three years running, and to do at least two roadside tire changes too. :colbert:

On an unrelated note, doing a job with the right tools after doing it the wrong way forever is like, better than sex.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you want a good OEM jack, go buy a jeep XJ/ZJ or Dodge Dakota/Ram pickup jack at the junkyard for $2.

They're basically a mechanical bottle jack. Hell, I've given away half a dozen over the years, every time I part one out I end up with another spare.

Of course, they won't fit under a lowered vehicle, at all. IIRC you need like 6 inches of ground clearance, so many stock Subarus should be fine for example.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Toyota Landcruisers have them, as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah someone's going to have to cut one open to show me how they work.

I mean I already made my assumptions from the shape but I want to see inside one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Probably a bevel gear driving a screw, like the old Land Rover ones.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cakefool posted:

Yeah someone's going to have to cut one open to show me how they work.

I mean I already made my assumptions from the shape but I want to see inside one.

Here's the patent.

The gears turn 4, which is externally threaded, which causes the internally-threaded 7 to go up. Actually 7 is threaded on both sides and there's a second extension not labeled that rides on the outside of it, but you get the idea.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

vvv well, yeah, I feel it in my car, but it's a whole lot more...visceral...when you and the vehicle together weigh about 550 pounds and a sideways force induces a turn :unsmigghh:

I took a trip once where there was a pretty good cross wind and ended up basically leaning to the left most of the way at ~55 mph. The first time passing a truck going the other way, having it block the wind, and having the bike suddenly veer toward the truck: not fun. Learned to expect it the next time right quick.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I hope you're referring to the park job by that VW and not that car. I'd love to drive that thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, that car is awesome, there's no way that's a static drop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the FE3 suspension adjustable?

Terrible car stuff, by me.

Turned in too sharply into the parking garage. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's with that roof rack box? It seems like every nice car has an obligatory roof rack box.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

What's with that roof rack box? It seems like every nice car has an obligatory roof rack box.

Vacation?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, that car is awesome, there's no way that's a static drop.

yeah as long as that isn't static it is awesome

if its static I don't even know how it got to that kind of place without losing the splitter at the front

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Safety Dance posted:

It's a scenester thing, like those $2500 tow hooks. There's nothing in there, it's just there because other morons who slam their cars do the same thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

AAA and a cell phone are the only tools I carry in my car anymore.

I keep basic tools and a bottle jack in the 6 but I doubt I'm every going to use them so long as I have roadside through my insurance.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I keep a 6.5 tonne bottle jack, compressor, toolbox, 10L water, collapsible bucket, rope, hand crank (Niva only), insulated tarp and tyre weld normally. I pack more thoroughly for longer trips though.

e: I think my contingency hoarding is terrible car stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nothing you post makes me want a niva any less.