Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Also, I need some speed bleeders :(

How often do you guys bleed your brakes? I'm about to turn 10k miles and I've never done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
In theory every few years to get any water that has snuck in out of the system.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I did my first two water crossings on the Hyperstrada today, who would have guessed it would be in suburban Scottsdale. Two flooded areas of Scottsdale road from the rain this morning, I probably shouldn't have taken the bike. On the upside, it was about 80 degrees instead of the 110+ it usually is.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hot sauce posted:

How often do you guys bleed your brakes? I'm about to turn 10k miles and I've never done it.

Once every couple years, or 20,000ish miles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Once every couple years, or 20,000ish miles.

This period may be considerably shorter depending on local conditions, etc. It's not a bad idea to do them when you change the pads, as you're there, and as that is a fairly regular "Time to do things with my brakes!" marker.

FWIW my mostly-urban, all-weather riding means it's a good idea to bleed about every 5k miles (which is about how long my pads last). There's not *much* noticeable degradation to the fluid in that time (it's more honey-coloured than syrup-coloured by that point, and the brake performance is about the same) but it'd certainly go off if I stuck to the manual's 12k miles/1 year recommendation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hot sauce posted:

Before every trackday, any time I get the tiniest bit of fade - out of pure paranoia, or every couple months otherwise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This period may be considerably shorter depending on local conditions, etc. It's not a bad idea to do them when you change the pads, as you're there, and as that is a fairly regular "Time to do things with my brakes!" marker.

FWIW my mostly-urban, all-weather riding means it's a good idea to bleed about every 5k miles (which is about how long my pads last). There's not *much* noticeable degradation to the fluid in that time (it's more honey-coloured than syrup-coloured by that point, and the brake performance is about the same) but it'd certainly go off if I stuck to the manual's 12k miles/1 year recommendation.

Every auto manufacturer I've seen recommends replacing fluid every 30,000km/two years. Bikes have less fluid and more exposed reservoirs so I think a year isn't unreasonable.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Since we're talking about bleeding/flushing brake lines (my rule is "when the fluid looks brown, go to town") have any of you bled/flushed an ABS equipped bike? Is this something you can do on your own, or is this like early ABS cars where you have to cycle the ABS computer to truly get things correct?

I want an ABS bike, but I also want to make sure I can work on it. gently caress giving a mechanic a hundred bucks to half-rear end a job when I can just half-rear end it myself, etc. etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depends on the ABS system - some need to prime on the ABS pump, others don't. The 1290, as long as you're flushing it (not completely draining the system) doesn't need a computer to cycle the ABS for you.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

hot sauce posted:

6 months to a year I guess. I'll often do them just because I happen to be doing other work on the bike. The KTM is a really basic single calliper system so it's easy to do.

I like my lever stiff, not spongy. :heysexy:

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Dropped it :(

I parked it for a second maybe a meter further down the driveway than normal and the grade was just enough for the bike to roll forward in neutral and fold up the sidestand. The shame :(

Luckily the cases were on and took 90% of the impact so the casualties were limited to a lost peg feeler, 1/3 of my clutch lever, and some minor fairing scratches. Half the paint was ripped off the case though :(

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, in five years of riding damage has been limited to:

DRZ:
1) Driveway drop, casualty one clutch lever

VFR:
2) Back yard drop pulling out of shed, casualty one clutch lever, one mirror
2) Driveway incident, casualty one clutch lever and some paint touchups

I should start buying clutch levers in bulk.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Niven posted:

the grade was just enough for the bike to roll forward

I don't think it counts as one-upmanship if you do something twice as stupid as the next guy, but I had this happen on a well-traveled road in the middle of the day. Nice mix of panic, amazement, and luck. Panic because I didn't want it to injure anyone, and amazement at how far the thing rolled on its own.

I was able catch up, sort of grab it from the left side and fight gravity just enough to keep the porcine thing from destroying itself. Might have tweaked the bars and banged up my leg in the process.

Please note:

This stunt happened while retrieving a $1 map case.

It's only a layer dan if you're seated prior to said layer.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I left the key in the ignition until the battery died!

On the up side I got to see if my portable battery jumpstart thing would work. It did!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lexorin posted:

I left the key in the ignition until the battery died!

On the up side I got to see if my portable battery jumpstart thing would work. It did!

Been there done that. Battery chargers are a handy thing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pshaw. Bumpstart or get out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Pshaw. Bumpstart or get out.

I once left the grips on on my ZRX. I decided gently caress it, wasn't gonna jump-start it with my car when I've got this perfectly good steep-as-gently caress driveway.

After I descended the driveway fruitlessly locking up the wheel on the wet leaves, sticks and other storm detritus from the day before, I had to trudge back up in my riding gear to get my car. I slipped and fell along the way. Then shuffle the car down, jump start, shuffle it back up, walk down. I decided it would be more efficient to do this without taking any gear off, including helmet.

By the time I actually got on the bike and went to leave my face was so hot and sweaty my visor simply wouldn't de-fog.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If the battery is completely flat you're going to need a hell of a hill to bump start a bike (or a car). Usually you have power, just not enough to keep the bike electrics going while using the starter. From totally dead would mean you'd need to get the generator spinning fast enough to make the ~11-12V needed to get whatever electrics need power to kind of come alive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And then only if you have a permanent magnet alternator. Excited winding need not apply.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
EFI bikes gotta have enough juice to prime the fuel too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

I once left the grips on on my ZRX. I decided gently caress it, wasn't gonna jump-start it with my car when I've got this perfectly good steep-as-gently caress driveway.

After I descended the driveway fruitlessly locking up the wheel on the wet leaves, sticks and other storm detritus from the day before, I had to trudge back up in my riding gear to get my car. I slipped and fell along the way. Then shuffle the car down, jump start, shuffle it back up, walk down. I decided it would be more efficient to do this without taking any gear off, including helmet.

By the time I actually got on the bike and went to leave my face was so hot and sweaty my visor simply wouldn't de-fog.

Why did you wire the grips to something that cuts power when the bike is turned off?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I once fell over on my DRZ while sitting cross legged on the seat trying to talk to someone on the phone. I should pay more attention to road crown while parking in unfamiliar places I guess. It was really funny and I even managed to nail the horn on the way down. Zeta guards and sliders saved everything.

Edit: I was in first. Which just makes it better.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 22, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
All you people should stop parking in neutral. Gosh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Why did you wire the grips to something that cuts power when the bike is turned off?

Because I'm incredibly lazy, they came with eye terminals pre-wired into them, and I convinced myself that I'd remember to switch them off every time because they have this helpful LED that lights up to say they're on! So I just bolted them to the battery terminals and called it a day.

Needless to say, I jump/bump started that bike many, many times.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I got a thing for them to go in.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Replaced the front fluid, bled the lines, and cleaned the whole front caliper assembly. Took forever, but it wasn't too difficult. It was the first time I've done it in the more than a year I've had the bike, and the junk in there attested to all of the POs never doing it either.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Replaced the handlebar risers, removed old handlebar mounted speedo, replaced broken console mounted speedo, replaced front foot pegs, and gear shift/front break peg, replaced the semi busted switch, short circuited the bike, got stuck in the middle of the road on the way to work, took the console apart, found the short circuit, fixed it with a piece of bubblegum (I kid you not) and went on to the office.

Guess I will have to work a bit more on that short circuit :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Been painting the cover panels off the Goldwing:

Wet sanding after each coat, probably going to do one more color coat, polish, then do a couple layers of clear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And then: wizard riding a dragon airbrush.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Finally fixed the rattling clutch handle. It's amazing what a difference that little piece of plastic makes.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

And then: wizard riding a dragon airbrush.

Seconded.

Wait, what about a wizard fighting a dragon? Also the wizards staff is a massive bong.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Been painting the cover panels off the Goldwing:

Wet sanding after each coat, probably going to do one more color coat, polish, then do a couple layers of clear.

What kind of paint?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Before:

After:

Now, if anyone in the phoenix area needs to borrow a carbtune, I've got one on tap.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

What kind of paint?

Only the finest Ford Sonic Blue Mica rattlecans from Autozone. :stoat:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Lacquer?

When I sprayed my plastics with acrylic enamel, I didn't need to sand between coats. Just piled up a few color coats and like twice as much clear coats than I figured I'd need, let it dry a day, wet sanded it down, and polished.

The reason I asked was to suggest using more clear than you think you'll need.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Before:

After:

Now, if anyone in the phoenix area needs to borrow a carbtune, I've got one on tap.

Carbtune buddies :hf:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced this

With this

(Pilot Road 3 to Pilot Road 4)

I actually replaced both front and back. The rear had lots of tread left but the front was close to needing replacement anyway. Three years and 23000 km on the old tires.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how they compare. What do you ride?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The bike is a 2007 FZ6n S2.

I'll post some first impressions in a couple of days but the comparison will be sort of biased by the fact that the old rear tire have had a pronounced flat spot for the last 5000 km and felt really wobbly at certain lean angles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how they compare. What do you ride?

I went from a bike with new PR3's to a new PR4 on my next bike. They feel pretty much the same, except the PR4 seems to be slightly sharper and less sluggish on turn-in. But different bikes, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Pretty tough to improve the PR3, great tires as they were, mine were worn after about 12000 miles on the VFR, replaced them both with PR4s, they feel mostly the same, Michelin claims a bit better mileage outta them.

I think my Pirelli Angel was pretty worn on the rear of my BMW...

Front Angel was still in good shape, so I only replaced the rear with a new Angel GT, normally I would've gone with the Michelins but didn't really want to mix up tire makes/models, I normally don't buy Pirelli.