Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Paid a visit to a cacti and succulent nursery just outside of town yesterday. It was awesome! So much variety, and some outdoor stuff that can handle our crazy winters too.

This is what I bought (all indoor stuff):

In front are a lithops, 2 varieties of haworthia, and a crassula. In back is an agave and a little cactus ( a mammillaria I think) I also bought the 2 little bonsai pots on the right as I am always looking for those but can never find a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
I've been meaning to post for awhile, better late than never I suppose. I found a bunch of these orchids growing in our yard in late May. We're in northern Michigan in a real boggy area and these were growing on the side of a little hill that the house sits on. It looks like a native orchid to me. Whatever there were they only lasted a week or two before vanishing completely, leaves and all.

I found these growing yesterday but they've been there for at least the last month. They're growing in a dry creek bed. They're quite prolific. I wonder if they're another species of orchid but the plant form doesn't look very orchid-y to me, since they grow in little bushes.

As a bonus, I found this growing right next to the above plant. It reminds me of a staghorn and I wonder if it's some kind of native fern.

Lastly, here are my surviving house plants. We're moving long distance so I'm giving them all to one of my mother's friends.

Hawthornia sp. I've only had these for a couple of years. They grew from one small sprout from a big box hardware store and I split them after the cats knocked their pot over and broke up the clump.

My Queen of the Night (Epiphyllum oxypetalum) and my 20+ yr old Jade. The queen has blossomed twice for me and it is very beautiful and pleasantly fragrant. I grew it from a tiny little cutting about ten years ago. I inherited the jade after and office mate retired, it's gotten a bit leggy since our last place had terrible light.

My phalenopsis sp, it keeps trying to bloom itself to death but I guess that's not my problem any more. It's about nine years old now I think.

Lockhartia sp. I've never gotten this drat thing to bloom in the last ten years but it hasn't died either; maybe it will bloom for it's new mama.

And lastly, my Dendrobium compacta (or something similar, I forget), I bought it at a plant auction about eight years ago. It also refuses to bloom for me.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That first flower is a trout lily, they're supposedly edible but they reproduce so slowly I'd feel bad about eating them.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Marchegiana posted:

That first flower is a trout lily, they're supposedly edible but they reproduce so slowly I'd feel bad about eating them.

Too bad, I thought it was a native Paphiopedilum because of the mottling and shape of the leaf. I guess lilies are nice too. Whatever they are, we had a bunch of them growing in the yard and low areas around the house.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code

Zratha posted:

Paid a visit to a cacti and succulent nursery just outside of town yesterday. It was awesome! So much variety, and some outdoor stuff that can handle our crazy winters too.

This is what I bought (all indoor stuff):

In front are a lithops, 2 varieties of haworthia, and a crassula. In back is an agave and a little cactus ( a mammillaria I think) I also bought the 2 little bonsai pots on the right as I am always looking for those but can never find a good price.

That lithops! And those haworthia look so vibrant! I don't know what you paid for these, but it's a steal no matter the price!

I went to a botanical garden yesterday, and picked up a few succs as well. We were going to scour the town and see a movie later that day, so I couldn't buy as much as I wanted to, but just seeing such amazing variety was terrific.
They also had a ton of succulents just out in the pouring Dutch rain. It hurt me to watch, but who the heck am I to tell these botanists how to take care of their plants.

I never knew I could geek out at plants so much until I entered their exhibits. I'm.. becoming a plant nerd !

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fred Lynn posted:

I found these growing yesterday but they've been there for at least the last month. They're growing in a dry creek bed. They're quite prolific. I wonder if they're another species of orchid but the plant form doesn't look very orchid-y to me, since they grow in little bushes.

Those grow wild in the woods at my parents' place. I remember my dad had book of wildflowers he got from the state conservation department that I'm pretty sure called them "horn of plenty". I also remember that the stem doesn't attach to the base of the flower. They had a little flower section aft of where the stem attached that curled back around like a, well, horn of plenty.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

shelper posted:

That lithops! And those haworthia look so vibrant! I don't know what you paid for these, but it's a steal no matter the price!

I went to a botanical garden yesterday, and picked up a few succs as well. We were going to scour the town and see a movie later that day, so I couldn't buy as much as I wanted to, but just seeing such amazing variety was terrific.
They also had a ton of succulents just out in the pouring Dutch rain. It hurt me to watch, but who the heck am I to tell these botanists how to take care of their plants.

I never knew I could geek out at plants so much until I entered their exhibits. I'm.. becoming a plant nerd !

The prices were stupid good. Nothing was over 4 bucks except the agave, which was 8.99. The bonsai pots were 4.99 each. (CDN)

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Does anyone recognize this tree?
Growing wild in Central Texas and has large bunches of hard fruit about 15 ft off the ground.

http://imgur.com/nBHcL0G

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Gegil posted:

Growing wild in Central Texas and has large bunches of hard fruit about 15 ft off the ground.

I'd like to know this too. I have one of these bastards next to the pool, and it is constantly dropping either flowers, fruit or leaves into the pool. A tree guy told us it was a Chinese Pistache, but the pictures don't quite fit.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Zratha posted:

The prices were stupid good. Nothing was over 4 bucks except the agave, which was 8.99. The bonsai pots were 4.99 each. (CDN)

Succulents in bonsai pots always look great. Especially if you get ones that hang or droop in a large pot; they overflow out of the pot and look REALLY amazing. :swoon:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Gegil posted:

Hmmm. Loquat?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

I don't think so. The fruits are hard and woody. Not soft at all.
Would it help to get a better photo of the bark or leaves? If so I'll grab some later today.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gegil posted:

Mexican plum?

Wait, that might not be it, yours has multiple fruit clumps.

Gegil posted:

I don't think so. The fruits are hard and woody. Not soft at all.
Would it help to get a better photo of the bark or leaves? If so I'll grab some later today.

Yeah that would definitely help. Do the fruits have just one seed inside (a pit) or do they have multiple seeds?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some kind of fig?

I've eaten loquats, they're soft like a plum or an apricot.

Zooming in it sure doesn't look like a fig though. Maybe some cross-breed plum

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Fred Lynn posted:

As a bonus, I found this growing right next to the above plant. It reminds me of a staghorn and I wonder if it's some kind of native fern.

Reminds me a little bit of a sensitive fern (Onoclea sensibilis), but my fern knowledge is next to nonexistent, so I'm probably wrong.

Nice plant collection! Shame you have to give it away. Speaking of...

Fred Lynn posted:

Lastly, here are my surviving house plants. We're moving long distance so I'm giving them all to one of my mother's friends.

Has anyone here ever moved their plant collections long distance? If so, how did you do it, and did how did the plants fare? I moved some of my Tillandsias across the country with me and they seemed to do okay, but now that I have accrued a small succulent collection, I'm worried about what will happen if/when I move with them.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Reminds me a little bit of a sensitive fern (Onoclea sensibilis), but my fern knowledge is next to nonexistent, so I'm probably wrong.

Nice plant collection! Shame you have to give it away. Speaking of...

Has anyone here ever moved their plant collections long distance? If so, how did you do it, and did how did the plants fare? I moved some of my Tillandsias across the country with me and they seemed to do okay, but now that I have accrued a small succulent collection, I'm worried about what will happen if/when I move with them.

You inspired me to spend some time looking through a native plant database and while I haven't found any of my plants yet; I did find some interesting natives to Huron county.

Native Orchids
Calopogon tuberosus (Grass-Pink)

Cypripedium acaule (Moccasin Flower, Pink Lady-Slipper, Stemless Lady Slipper)

Cypripedium candidum (White Lady-Slipper)

Cypripedium parviflorum (Yellow Lady-Slipper)

Platanthera aquilonis (Northern Green Orchid

Platanthera clavellata (Club-spur Orchid, Small Green Wood Orchid)

Platanthera flava (Tubercled Orchid)

This one is very rare now, so don't disturb it. They mostly grow in south-eastern Michigan in boggy areas and along the shore of lake Erie.
Platanthera leucophaea (Prairie Fringed Orchid)

Spiranthes cernua (Nodding Ladies-Tresses

Spiranthes magnicamporum (Prairie Ladies-Tresses)

----------------------------------
For the carnivorous plant lovers
Drosera rotundifolia (Round Leaf Sundew)

-------------------------------------
Yellow Trout Lily is a definite match for what I found growing in May.
Erythronium americanum

This is the other flower that I found, Spotted Touch-Me-Not.
Impatiens capensis

After a couple of hours of looking, I never found my "fern"; which is probably not a fern since I looked through those first.

-------------------
Public Service Announcement (Don't Touch These)

Toxicodendron rydbergii (Poison Ivy)

Toxicodendron vernix (Poison Sumac)

Fred Lynn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 22, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I'm putting money on that being a loquat - the hard fruit is just not ripe, yet, I think.

Fred, I'm a michigander as well. If you find any Cypripediums, be sure to take pictures. They live in extremely specific environments. Near me there's a glacial fen that had a drat built in the 20's that burst about ten years ago and the area is now returning to a good bog-type ecosystem. Lots of tamarack (Larix laricina) shooting up, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting natives that might reappear. The most interesting so far is loads of wild trillium.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

unprofessional posted:

I'm putting money on that being a loquat - the hard fruit is just not ripe, yet, I think.

Fred, I'm a michigander as well. If you find any Cypripediums, be sure to take pictures. They live in extremely specific environments. Near me there's a glacial fen that had a drat built in the 20's that burst about ten years ago and the area is now returning to a good bog-type ecosystem. Lots of tamarack (Larix laricina) shooting up, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting natives that might reappear. The most interesting so far is loads of wild trillium.

I keep hoping to find some native orchids before I leave but so far I haven't found any. We've got tons of wildflowers and berries around the house though. Unfortunately, we also have poison ivy which has pretty much put an end to my wandering out of the mown area.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Gegil posted:

I'm going to disagree with the loquat guesses, although that was my first reaction as well. Loquats have simple leaves with a serrated margain and the fruit has a calyx (I think that's the right term?) on the bottom. The photo is a bit tough to tell, but I think I see pinnately compound leaves with smooth margins, and the fruit lacks a calyx. Also note the shriveled fruit in the photo near center has an almost honeycomb appearance, which resembles dried soapberry fruit (Google images).

I think it might be a Western Soapberry, which is apparently common in Texas and being attacked by a troublesom borer.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 24, 2014

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Pogo the Clown posted:

I'm going to disagree with the loquat guesses, although that was my first reaction as well. Loquats have simple leaves with a serrated margain and the fruit has a calyx (I think that's the right term?) on the bottom. The photo is a bit tough to tell, but I think I see pinnately compound leaves with smooth margins, and the fruit lacks a calyx. Also note the shriveled fruit in the photo near center has an almost honeycomb appearance, which resembles dried soapberry fruit (Google images).

I think it might be a Western Soapberry, which is apparently common in Texas and being attacked by a troublesom borer.

Thanks Pogo, I think you may have nailed it. I'll try to get back there and get more photos soon to confirm but this looks pretty close.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A sprout is transpiring! :f5:

Any ideas what it might be? It's maybe an inch or so above ground. Willamette Valley, Oregon.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

A sprout is transpiring! :f5:

Any ideas what it might be? It's maybe an inch or so above ground. Willamette Valley, Oregon.

Hot dog tree! :v: Seriously, at that height with no leaves, it's too hard to tell.

Edit: OK I lied, slightly. With an outer sheath like that, it looks like some type of bulb.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 26, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
That's what I was thinking too, and it would fit since that bed has some alliums and daffodils in it as well. I think amaryllis sprout this late in the year, but I would think it gets too cold in the winter for the bulbs to survive here. Any other late-blooming bulbous plants?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
There are fall blooming crocuses and colchicums. :)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I know that Muscari will put out their foliage in the fall even though they bloom in the spring.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It's doubled in height since yesterday!

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.
Got a bit of a plant emergency. We've always had these little green vine things growing in a pot somewhere in our house. Story goes Great-Grandma used to grow them, and they've been passed down ever since. They were doing really well a couple of years ago (pic #2), but recently they've been dying off and I only have a few vines left!

Any idea what they could be, and ideas to save them? They don't have roots - they just kinda keep growing like that.

edit: probably should mention this is southern Ontario

Faxbart fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 28, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That looks like a Sedum, or perhaps some species of Crassula. In either case, I would take a 3-pronged approach. First, repot into a lighter, airier soil. Look for some cactus soil, or mix some coconut coir and perlite in with regular garden soil. Second, make sure your plants have access to a lot of light. As much as you can give indoors, and consider moving them outdoors during the warmer months. Third, cut back on watering and don't let then sit with water in the tray. Wait to water until the top centimeter or two of soil is dry.

Good luck!

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
So I have some trees growing in my house. Just for fun my boyfriend and I planted an avacado seed, an orange seed and a lemon seed and now we have all three growing our living room. The lemon and orange are only about a foot tall, but the avocado...

What do you do when a tree outgrows your house? It hit the ceiling in the past couple days and seems to be growing at a pretty considerable rate still. I kind of thought since it tends to grow towards the light it would just...stop growing once it reached the top of the window. :downs:

My orange tree:

My lemon tree:

My avocado tree...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I am Groot.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Chop that sucker down. I would cut it down to the second leaf internode. This will induce the epicormic buds below your cut to create new branches for the tree. That's very leggy growth, so if you're at all able to keep it outside during the summer, it'll slow down how often you have to prune it back down. The secondary benefit of forcing more branches is that horizontal branches are much more apt to produce fruit than vertical ones.

PS. the spruce next to your lemon tree will need a cold dormancy period to stay alive.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

unprofessional posted:

Chop that sucker down. I would cut it down to the second leaf internode. This will induce the epicormic buds below your cut to create new branches for the tree. That's very leggy growth, so if you're at all able to keep it outside during the summer, it'll slow down how often you have to prune it back down. The secondary benefit of forcing more branches is that horizontal branches are much more apt to produce fruit than vertical ones.

PS. the spruce next to your lemon tree will need a cold dormancy period to stay alive.

What is the second leaf internode? And what are epicormic buds? Are they the little nubby things growing out of the trunk? I can't leave it outside at all since I'm in Newfoundland and summer is nearly over here, plus I'm on the top floor in an apartment complex with no balcony.

What should I do with my spruce? Put him in the fridge? If so, when and for how long?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
The internode is the area on the stem between a set of leaves and the set above it, so cut above the second set of leaves. Not a huge deal if you can't put it outside; just give it as much sun as possible and turn it once a week. Epicormic buds and dormant buds below the bark of trees, often right by a leaf node. When trees with epicormic buds (most conifers don't have these) get cut, hormones in the plant encourage these buds to become active.

You could try giving the spruce a three month dormancy period in your fridge, but it still needs light during that time, as well as occasional watering. I've not read of people successfully overwintering them indoors, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Long-term, it's a plant that deserves to be planted in the ground somewhere, and fall is the best time to plant trees. If you'd like something similar that will do well indoors, look for norfolk island pines. Big box stores sell them a lot in winter, and they do quite well inside.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

unprofessional posted:

The internode is the area on the stem between a set of leaves and the set above it, so cut above the second set of leaves. Not a huge deal if you can't put it outside; just give it as much sun as possible and turn it once a week. Epicormic buds and dormant buds below the bark of trees, often right by a leaf node. When trees with epicormic buds (most conifers don't have these) get cut, hormones in the plant encourage these buds to become active.

You could try giving the spruce a three month dormancy period in your fridge, but it still needs light during that time, as well as occasional watering. I've not read of people successfully overwintering them indoors, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Long-term, it's a plant that deserves to be planted in the ground somewhere, and fall is the best time to plant trees. If you'd like something similar that will do well indoors, look for norfolk island pines. Big box stores sell them a lot in winter, and they do quite well inside.

It's always in front of the window (our only big window) and tends to grow like crazy if it's sunny for a few days. I live in officially the greyest city in North America so he often just hangs out and doesn't grow at all. Could you maybe put a little marker on the picture where I should cut it down? I don't want to chop in the wrong spot.

The spruce I can probably re-locate somewhere outside, there's a green belt outside my house with a lot of similar plants and trees growing, I'd just have to convince my boyfriend that it's better for it to be outside.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Fred Lynn posted:

It's jewelweed.

I have a question too. Does anyone know what this is

emanonii fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 4, 2014

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I think that's wild onion (which, IIRC, is actually a type of wild garlic?) Yank it up, see if it has a bulb and smells like onions/garlic.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

emanonii posted:

It's jewelweed.

I have a question too. Does anyone know what this is

Some sort of allium.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

emanonii posted:

It's jewelweed.

Fun jewelweed fact: it's a home remedy for poison ivy exposure. Supposedly if you run into poison ivy while outside and there's a patch of jewelweed nearby, you can crush up some of the jewelweed and rub it on the exposed area to help remove the oils and soothe the rash.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

I think that's wild onion (which, IIRC, is actually a type of wild garlic?) Yank it up, see if it has a bulb and smells like onions/garlic.

It's definitely not wild onion. It is in a flowerbed and was planted on purpose by previous owners, sorry, I should've given more info.

Thanks for the tip about allium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
Maybe some of you remember the plant that I rescued from the garbage. I heeded y'all's advice and got it some distilled water a while back, and it's next to a window so it gets plenty of light. But the tips still end up looking black/dead and now a few of the leaves started getting this weird polkadot pattern:

Is this plant acne or something? What do I do, goons?

Anoulie fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 5, 2014