Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Throw dwarves down a few z levels.

But when does the Dr to whom I've given the teaching ability actually teach? I've seen the military teach, is it like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

reading posted:

But when does the Dr to whom I've given the teaching ability actually teach? I've seen the military teach, is it like that?

The teacher skills only affect military training. There is no medical training.
Only actually treating dwarves raises that skill.

e: One thing to keep in mind.

See that line between Engineer and Administrator? Don't spend any points below that line, except if you want a dedicated military dwarf at embark.. Most of the migrants that come will have them, but even then, you don't need them at all.

Generally consider don't spending any skillpoint at embarking. Use them for materials, because training a skill is fast enough anyway.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Having some trained miners and masons at least will make the early game go faster and you don't have to wait ages to dig out your dining hall and make chairs.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Boing posted:

Having some trained miners and masons at least will make the early game go faster and you don't have to wait ages to dig out your dining hall and make chairs.

Indeed true, but that is something for everyone personally to decide.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
anyone else try and arm their whole population? I try and put all the drones on the hunting labour in addition to all the farming ones. I figure if anyone goes beserk in the dining room or any kobold thieves make it in they can be shot without ceremony. Of course I try and make sure they only have low grade bolts, I wouldn't want a legendary military dwarf to get hurt.

Are adamantine bolts basically laser beams?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Michaellaneous posted:

The teacher skills only affect military training. There is no medical training.
Only actually treating dwarves raises that skill.

e: One thing to keep in mind.

See that line between Engineer and Administrator? Don't spend any points below that line, except if you want a dedicated military dwarf at embark.. Most of the migrants that come will have them, but even then, you don't need them at all.

Generally consider don't spending any skillpoint at embarking. Use them for materials, because training a skill is fast enough anyway.

I usually add social skills and appraiser to the guy I want to be the mayor of my initial 7. He'll do all the broker stuff as well as any odd jobs that need doing until I get a sizable population.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

anyone else try and arm their whole population? I try and put all the drones on the hunting labour in addition to all the farming ones. I figure if anyone goes beserk in the dining room or any kobold thieves make it in they can be shot without ceremony. Of course I try and make sure they only have low grade bolts, I wouldn't want a legendary military dwarf to get hurt.

Are adamantine bolts basically laser beams?

Basically no. The damage is equal if the bolt can penetrate. They will not penetrate adamantium armor.

If you have enough steel, use that. Iron is good as well, even when it doesn't penetrate it does damage due to the impact.

e: Save your adamantite for armor end edged weapons.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Boing posted:

Discipline is decent for a couple points if you wanna be sure a certain dwarf won't be scared shitless by a random corpse or something early on. Also possibly a couple points in swimming for your miners if you want to be able to safely use them around water.

A proficient Appraiser at the start will pay for itself too :colbert:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Met posted:

I usually add social skills and appraiser to the guy I want to be the mayor of my initial 7. He'll do all the broker stuff as well as any odd jobs that need doing until I get a sizable population.

There is usually a good broker in the first two waves.

Also, something else - As far as bolts go, it seems that iron and steel bolts will easily penetrate adamantite armor. Thus making steel bolts of good quality probably superior to adamantite bolts in any way.

The thing with adamantite is that it is light. Really light. Stupidly light. It makes up for that with sharpness.

I will maybe test that a bit later.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just like knowing I'll have a guy who will get elected every single time and won't need to micromanage bedrooms for every new mayor.

Oh man, it would be great if I could assign rooms to a position. The unit in that position should also prioritize the higher quality room instead of whatever 2x3 hole I dug for them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 19, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Discipline is decent for a couple points if you wanna be sure a certain dwarf won't be scared shitless by a random corpse or something early on. Also possibly a couple points in swimming for your miners if you want to be able to safely use them around water.

A proficient Appraiser at the start will pay for itself too :colbert:

To continue the line of thought from earlier, I recommend bringing a good Gem Setter mostly because it takes a very long time to train and you'd have to set up a glass industry if you didn't want to burn through all your gems on training. Or you could gamble on immigrants, I normally get a good jeweler within the first few waves.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Michaellaneous posted:

Also, something else - As far as bolts go, it seems that iron and steel bolts will easily penetrate adamantite armor. Thus making steel bolts of good quality probably superior to adamantite bolts in any way.

The thing with adamantite is that it is light. Really light. Stupidly light. It makes up for that with sharpness.

I will maybe test that a bit later.

I have never, ever, in hundreds of migrant waves, seen someone appear with the appraisal skill. I usually spend the 11 points to get a starter up a couple levels so I can see the value of everything in my fort right off the bat. It's not like you're going to be short on supplies anyway.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

There is usually a good expedition leader in the first two waves because a wide variety of social skills will do, but Appraisal is NOT a frequent migrant skill.

e : toned down aggressiveness

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Architecture is an utter bitch to train and finely designed roads, furnaces and wells are always an extra channel of happiness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like to look at my starting seven's personalities and stuff while preparing for embark and pick the guy I want to be the bookkeeper/expedition leader/appraiser/etc. and give him a few points in those skills. If you don't, the game seems to pick who your expedition leader will be at random... but it's good to have the guy the dwarves will come complain to have good skills at consoling/pacifying, and a good work ethic so he won't just avoid meetings with upset dwarves.

I also like to embark with a skilled doctor, and if you give someone good hunting skills I think they'll get a free set of leather armor and crossbow? Not 100% sure about that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How would people recommend damming a river? I have a pair of huge (35 Z-level) waterfalls on my current map, and I'd like to reduce the FPS hit.

Also, what are the rules for wall climbing and enemies? They can't climb smoothed rock or walls made of blocks, but otherwise they can? Does coming out of water matter?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dfhack a little magma to make an obsidian dam.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dig a giant tunnel beneath it, put a stockpile of floodgates and a burrow next to the river, channel the river into the undeground tunnel, quickly build floodgates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tunicate posted:

dig a giant tunnel beneath it, put a stockpile of floodgates and a burrow next to the river, channel the river into the undeground tunnel, quickly build floodgates.

How do I channel through the bottom of the river to open it to the tunnel, though?

Edit: I tried doing that with the opening off to the side, but it didn't divert enough to dry the riverbed for construction. Only got down to about 3/7, even with an aperture wider than the river itself is.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 20, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Tunicate posted:

Setting up powered Pumps also works for diverting water.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Setting up powered Pumps also works for diverting water.

So pump out a square next to the shore, and build diagonally onto it, then repeat? I'll try that, I wasn't sure if I could get the placement to work.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

It's really easy if your river freezes over in winter - just tunnel out the ice and put floodgates in. If your map isn't set up like that, the common way is to set up a line of powered pumps. They have to be powered, otherwise your dwarves will cancel pumping when there's too much water around. There's going to be a LOT of water so make sure you drain it to somewhere huge. The underground cavern is a good solution - there's tons of room down there and it'll eventually unflood itself if the water connects to a map border tile.

e:

Subjunctive posted:

So pump out a square next to the shore, and build diagonally onto it, then repeat? I'll try that, I wasn't sure if I could get the placement to work.

Pumps pump from below so you can set up a line of them at the Z-level of the water plus one. Just build a platform, throw your pumps on there and make a little tunnel behind them for all the pumped-in water to go through.

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Glory of Arioch posted:

Oh, I get it.

I always have a tough time with trading with elven traders. My fortresses always end up using prepared meals as the backbone of their bartering, and there aren't convenient ways to free prepared meals from their (ostensibly wooden) barrels without making a stockpile of rotting individual meals. I usually just end up trading them raw gems.

If you're cooking roasts for sale you're probably getting big stacks and often getting only one or two stacks per barrel anyway, so you don't lose much space if you just forbid barrels from your prepared meal stockpile entirely. It also makes it easier to eyeball your supply of meals, so you don't unexpectedly run low. Just have a meal only stockpile somewhere between the kitchen and the depot and you're good to go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flashing Twelve posted:

Pumps pump from below so you can set up a line of them at the Z-level of the water plus one. Just build a platform, throw your pumps on there and make a little tunnel behind them for all the pumped-in water to go through.

Yeah, I'm trying to visualize how that works for the parts that don't border the bank (the river is 4 wide). I'll play with it.

I'd probably dam it near where it enters the map, so the tunnel could just head back out to a fortification border.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Flashing Twelve posted:

You don't even need that little tunnel. If you build pumps across the entire river such that they're pumping water towards the direction the river starts, that water will just fall down into the river and flow back towards the pump intake. The pumps can draw faster than the water flows, so everything downriver will dry up in a minute or two.

It should look like this:

The river flows from right to left. The pumps intake from the left and the water exits to the right. The walls block the water in and make sure it can only go into the river below. With these four pumps turned on, the river becomes dry to the left of them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

If you're cooking roasts for sale you're probably getting big stacks and often getting only one or two stacks per barrel anyway, so you don't lose much space if you just forbid barrels from your prepared meal stockpile entirely. It also makes it easier to eyeball your supply of meals, so you don't unexpectedly run low. Just have a meal only stockpile somewhere between the kitchen and the depot and you're good to go.

If you make roasts entirely from quarry bush leaves or other items that come in huge stacks you can get a single stack that's too big to fit in a barrel.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Prop Wash posted:

To continue the line of thought from earlier, I recommend bringing a good Gem Setter mostly because it takes a very long time to train and you'd have to set up a glass industry if you didn't want to burn through all your gems on training. Or you could gamble on immigrants, I normally get a good jeweler within the first few waves.
You can just get your gem setter to train by decorating random stuff with finely cut microcline and mudstone.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is there a tutorial for stockflow/workflow? I feel like they would save me some headache by managing things like meals and booze. I've shifted my playstyle toward trying to keep just a bit more of things on hand than I need, rather than an endless hoard.

Unrelated but the last few maps I played on had no weapon-worthy materials. No copper, no iron, just tin, zinc, silver, and lead. I know I can order metals from caravans but that's really not ideal. How can I choose a better embark site, or can I adjust world gen parameters to provide the materials I need?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is there a tutorial for stockflow/workflow? I feel like they would save me some headache by managing things like meals and booze. I've shifted my playstyle toward trying to keep just a bit more of things on hand than I need, rather than an endless hoard.

I almost can't play without workflow anymore.

I don't know if there's a tutorial but a quick and dirty (idk what version you're using, I'm assuming the hotkeys are the same):

- create a job as normal for what you want to manage
- with the job highlighted, press ctrl-w
- a box will pop up saying 'workflow only tracks repeating jobs, make job repeating?' hit 'y' to accept
- now the workflow GUI should be open on the right, hit 'A' (capital)
- a list of possible outputs appears, usually the one right at the top is the one you want. hit enter
- hit capital 'R'. now a box appears asking you to put in the constraint range.

constraint range means that when your stockpiles hit the small number, workflow starts producing more until it hits the top number. So say I do all this for 'brew plants' at the still, and I make my range 50-90. When I get down to 50 drinks, dwarves make more until I have 90 drinks stockpiled.

that's it! Once you've entered the range it takes over from there. The only thing to remember now is leave the job suspended and repeating at the workshop. Workflow will unsuspend when it needs to, but if the job isn't there to unsuspend in the first place it might not work properly.

I use it for mechanisms, doors, drinks, ammo, etc. Anything that you need to constantly go back and make more of, workflow takes care of instead saving you the micromanagement.

hitting ctrl-I should bring you to the main workflow GUI which takes up the whole screen and lists all jobs being managed. You can edit things from there too, but I've never had luck adding totally new jobs from there so I use my method.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Unrelated but the last few maps I played on had no weapon-worthy materials. No copper, no iron, just tin, zinc, silver, and lead. I know I can order metals from caravans but that's really not ideal. How can I choose a better embark site, or can I adjust world gen parameters to provide the materials I need?

As long as you're using DFhack, run 'prospect' on the embark screen and it should tell you what is available at the site before you embark on it. Also, you could change the 'mineral scarcity' number to a lower one in the world gen parameters; making minerals too abundant can result in not enough economic rock or gems though (if I remember right).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 20, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In the default dfhack bindings, I think it's Alt-W on the job to invoke workflow, and z then Alt-w to bring up the master UI.

Adding via the master UI works, but only configures the workflow triggers, and you need to create the repeating jobs in the workshops as well.

You can switch the jobs from workshop to workshop, destroy the original one, etc. The workflow model is really a set of rules for "when count-of-things is lower than X, find a job that produces them and unsuspend it until the count is higher than Y".

Related, the workshop-job thing (alt-a by default I think) is pretty handy. You can select the inputs more precisely, which lets you create repeating jobs of blocks of a certain type of stone, or make sure that your gem setter puts those emeralds on the gold coffee for your king instead of a granite door that happens to be sitting around.

Edit: I haven't been able to get the lignite->coke reaction under workflow control, it keeps puking on the material specifier when I do it from the UI.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

crushed under the weight of devlogs

Toady One posted:

Stuff done today:
  • Fixed crash related to surgery
  • Fixed crash that happened when it considered certain units in play for succession
  • Adjusted projectile firing speed which became broken during wagon fix
  • Fixed some reclaim/unretire bugs involving unavailable seeds
  • Ordered farm plot plant lists by seed availability/name

"Fixed the Autocannon Bug."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh is that why the traders who showed up in the autumn shot a bunch of birds to literal pierces? (While claiming they would have their revenge)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Merchants for some reason REALLY hate wildlife.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shoehead posted:

Oh is that why the traders who showed up in the autumn shot a bunch of birds to literal pierces? (While claiming they would have their revenge)

Those keas are a menace!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

the loving devlog's full of ladybugs, man

Toady One posted:

Few more:
  • Stopped necromancer towers from doing various inappropriate townish things that lead to tower proliferation etc.
  • Stopped certain jobs from being able to teleport items and engage in other action-at-a-distance antics
  • Fixed a pathing lag associated to mood dwarves not being able to get to their buildings
  • Added stockpile option for cut stones
  • Removed double entry of "slabs" from stocks screen

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Glad to hear that the necro towers are getting trimmed back.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Stopped certain jobs from being able to teleport items and engage in other action-at-a-distance antics

Oh man I thought I was going nuts there for a while when that bug hit me.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I recently embarked in a no-trees, sand and rocks desert. I was hoping to hit an underground cavern and get some wood there, but when I pierced it it has trees but is completely flooded. I've been digging deeper hoping to hit the other caverns but I haven't found any. Then my miner stopped on a block of "molten stone" although I never got the message that the miner has hit "warm stone". What's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
That could be the stone barrier to the magma sea. You dug pretty deep!