Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The (very young) child of one of those Black Brunswickers was asked in preschool "What does your dad do during his free time?"

:kiddo: "Mein Patti schießt Franzosen tot!" ("My daddy shoots French people dead!")

There was apparently a concerned phone call.

Edit: I included the original because it sounded so good. It's perfect iambic quatrimeter.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Bismark would have been proud!

Arquinsiel posted:

I shall oblige!

Remember my friend who is into pretending to be a viking? For extra money during college he used to work in Dublinia over the summers with some of the other guys. One year he had a bunch of American Christians turn up with bibles and try to convert them. Apparently the environment was not enough of a giveaway. They reacted about as well as you'd expect vikings to.

Well, got to give them points for trying that up hill struggle at least.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arquinsiel posted:

I shall oblige!

Remember my friend who is into pretending to be a viking? For extra money during college he used to work in Dublinia over the summers with some of the other guys. One year he had a bunch of American Christians turn up with bibles and try to convert them. Apparently the environment was not enough of a giveaway. They reacted about as well as you'd expect vikings to.

They killed them and raped their corpses?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Relevant

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It's not dicking around if you do it in period clothing and a tourist is watching you, it's educational. (And as such, tax deductible. If you think about it the right way, I'm being payed to drink beer and play dice.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well poo poo, I'm off to become a historical reenactor then.

But poo poo, now that I think about it, the only thing I could really be locally would be an RCMP officer, stuck with the depressing task of reigning in all the whisky traders who were robbing the natives blind. And god drat does that ever sound depressing, which I guess is why we don't do that out here. I imagine there's a lot of people reenacting War of 1812 stuff out east though.

Related, from the wonderful mind of Kate Beaton:

e: Her description of the war in general is pretty sweet:

quote:

Ah, the War of 1812

At Queenston Heights there is a stunning monument to a man who would not order his men where he would not lead them, and somehow mysteriously got himself shot by a sniper at point blank. A mystery, I tell you.

The war of 1812 is little talked about but it is an excellent example for people from the US and Canada about how no event is recorded without bias. The US regards it, I believe, as almost a second war of independence, and Canada views it as an invasion by Americans. America declared the war, invaded, and we held our ground and staved off their attacks. Canadians don't learn in school about false impressment of American seamen or seizure of their vessels prior to the war that caused it. Both the Canadian parliament and the American whitehouse burned to the ground. We don't learn about the Battle of Fort McHenry, they don't learn about Queenston Heights. Everyone disagrees on who won, even though it was a stalemate. Natives get royally screwed. Normally I am not annoyed by this sort of thing, but in this case, that isn't so. I watched an American produced documentary on the subject and it made me pull a face so many times it might have stuck that way. The War of 1812 is the Most Irritating War of All.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 19, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

Well poo poo, I'm off to become a historical reenactor then.

But poo poo, now that I think about it, the only thing I could really be locally would be an RCMP officer, stuck with the depressing task of reigning in all the whisky traders who were robbing the natives blind. And god drat does that ever sound depressing, which I guess is why we don't do that out here. I imagine there's a lot of people reenacting War of 1812 stuff out east though.

You could always become a refugee reenactor!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...S-officers.html

quote:

A number of visitors were asked at random if they would consider dressing as refugees – but several were Jewish. Among them were Merton Paul, 65, and his wife Barbara, who said they were approached by a re-enactment member and asked to wear refugee outfits to ‘add another dimension to the experience’.

Mr Paul said: ‘Of course we wouldn’t want to do that – no Jewish person would. We’re British Jews and are happy to celebrate the community spirit, but this side of it is distressing.
It's Daily Mail so it's hilarious in every way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've seen that War of 1812 documentary Kate Beaton mentions. It was pretty shite, for some reason it was twinned with a much better less biased documentary about the war on YouTube.

The change of tone between both documentaries was pretty hilarious though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

The (very young) child of one of those Black Brunswickers was asked in preschool "What does your dad do during his free time?"

:kiddo: "Mein Patti schießt Franzosen tot!" ("My daddy shoots French people dead!")

There was apparently a concerned phone call.

Edit: I included the original because it sounded so good. It's perfect iambic quatrimeter.

Yeah, Something like that would have the cops at the school to set up a barrier and a few at daddy's house arresting him here in the US.

I've seen one where a few people wandered into the middle of the field. Apparently rope and caution tape don't apply to some.

PittTheElder posted:

Why just that? There's Europeans that do US Civil War and Americans that do WWII, WWI, and medieval stuff. Reenacting stuff outside your territory is nothing new.

V Honestly, I have had people ask what there is to be afraid of if we're just firing blanks. We happened to set up some log barricades in front of the battery for the event, they weren't very good logs, mostly been laying out in a field for years, so they were still solid, but decomposing. By the end of the show we'd fired about 30 times and the logs in front of the cannons were all tore apart from the muzzle blasts. I hope they hung around to see that.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 19, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SocketWrench posted:

I've seen one where a few people wandered into the middle of the field. Apparently rope and caution tape don't apply to some.
Aiming their cameras straight down the barrel of your cannon, whether or not you've told them to loving leave because the explosives are real.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nenonen posted:

You could always become a refugee reenactor!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...S-officers.html

It's Daily Mail so it's hilarious in every way.

It's just plain painful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anything involved or associated with that paper is horribly painful.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SocketWrench posted:

V Honestly, I have had people ask what there is to be afraid of if we're just firing blanks. We happened to set up some log barricades in front of the battery for the event, they weren't very good logs, mostly been laying out in a field for years, so they were still solid, but decomposing. By the end of the show we'd fired about 30 times and the logs in front of the cannons were all tore apart from the muzzle blasts. I hope they hung around to see that.
About five years ago, when I was still doing ACW reenactment, a guy got a hole blown in his thigh the size of a silver dollar when his pistol went off in his holster. Now that I do 30YW reenactment the thing we're all afraid of is what'll happen if one or more of a musketeer's charges go off. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to make those guys hang explosives around their chests while they're handling poo poo that's on fire, thanks a lot.

Edit: It's also dangerous to be on the pike, of course, but the tourists recognise that because it's, you know, a big fuckoff spear (possibly: the biggest spear?). Not "just blanks." :rolleye:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 19, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It's just plain painful.

Oh you say?

"One man's an armband identified him as playing the part of Hermann Goering."

Pictured below: Hermann Göring

And this is Theodor Eicke

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

About five years ago, when I was still doing ACW reenactment, a guy got a hole blown in his thigh the size of a silver dollar when his pistol went off in his holster. Now that I do 30YW reenactment the thing we're all afraid of is what'll happen if one or more of a musketeer's charges go off. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to make those guys hang explosives around their chests while they're handling poo poo that's on fire, thanks a lot.

Edit: It's also dangerous to be on the pike, of course, but the tourists recognise that because it's, you know, a big fuckoff spear (possibly: the biggest spear?). Not "just blanks." :rolleye:

Yeah, part of the reason we don't use bayonets or rammers to load rifles, the chance someone's gonna get shot/stabbed rapidly increases to 100% the more people that get involved. I thought one of the Berdan's I met was some nutjob when he was using one of those Colt revolver rifles. I prayed I'd never see the day the cylinders went off together

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/authors/michael_perry/

Slightly inaccurate, he was making miniatures for a living before that.

Nenonen posted:

Oh you say?

"One man's an armband identified him as playing the part of Hermann Goering."

Pictured below: Hermann Göring

And this is Theodor Eicke

Exactly. It's nice that the Nazis made little customised armbands for everyone so you'd never forget someone's name! :eng99:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/authors/michael_perry/

Slightly inaccurate, he was making miniatures for a living before that.
The hell did you just post that for?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's now a cyborg with a cool sculpting arm. It's pretty awesome is why.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

He's now a cyborg with a cool sculpting arm. It's pretty awesome is why.
Ah, neat. Do you know what in particular led to the loss of the arm?

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, part of the reason we don't use bayonets or rammers to load rifles, the chance someone's gonna get shot/stabbed rapidly increases to 100% the more people that get involved. I thought one of the Berdan's I met was some nutjob when he was using one of those Colt revolver rifles. I prayed I'd never see the day the cylinders went off together
Uurgh, it would be right next to your face.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
To be fair, when you're a fat slob, playing Hermann Göring is pretty much the best way to do reenactment I guess.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

To be fair, when you're a fat slob, playing Hermann Göring is pretty much the best way to do reenactment I guess.

Reminds me of the Hitler Auditions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On the mention of Osprey, I'm getting to read quite a few books from them thanks to a Scribd subscription. Anything I should look out for? They seem to be pretty good books, well illustrated, if a bit dry and very technical.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the mention of Osprey, I'm getting to read quite a few books from them thanks to a Scribd subscription. Anything I should look out for? They seem to be pretty good books, well illustrated, if a bit dry and very technical.

I really like the ones that basically cover all the smaller wars of the 19th century barely anyone cares for now. Helps fill in some mental gaps.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Ah, neat. Do you know what in particular led to the loss of the arm?

From the man himself:

quote:

MP: It was so authentic, it was actually where the guns were in the real battle. It was the first time the
English had used artillery in the field. We had five artillery pieces, which is about what they really had,
and it was the second shot. The first charge went off, and I was swabbing out, and Alan brought up the
second charge, I rammed it down with the rammer. The powder we were using was very heavily grained,
and a piece must have got shoved up the vent hole, so it was still smouldering, and air must have got to it,
even though someone had their thumb over the vent hole, and it burned through, dropped down onto the
charge, and as the second charge went down with the ramrod, it went off, taking a bit of my arm with it.
The full interview is mirrored here but it's mostly talking about toy mans rather than re-enactment.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Speaking of, anyone know if black powder is explosive enough that standing near a cannon when it's firing would give you some sort of brain injury? I am suddenly quite paranoid.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

Speaking of, anyone know if black powder is explosive enough that standing near a cannon when it's firing would give you some sort of brain injury? I am suddenly quite paranoid.

Where did you hear about this? Honestly it sounds like a military legend, I've heard a ton of similar tales and they all are bullshit. But on the other hand, I have never met an artilleryman who didn't appear to be brain damaged, so...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Where did you hear about this? Honestly it sounds like a military legend, I've heard a ton of similar tales and they all are bullshit. But on the other hand, I have never met an artilleryman who didn't appear to be brain damaged, so...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120516152440.htm

I am thinking specifically about a time the entire square lay down while our own pieces fired behind us. The unspent powder spattered onto my jacket like rain.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

I am thinking specifically about a time the entire square lay down while our own pieces fired behind us. The unspent powder spattered onto my jacket like rain.

Apparently blast-related concussions are a thing the military is worried about, and some study (looks at least decently legit - was published in the Journal of Neurotrauma) is claiming that problems with impulse control might be related to explosive-caused concussions. There's some conjecture this might be a biological cause for a lot of the problems returning vets have that have previously been filed under PTSD.

As for your re-enacting I have no idea if you guys are getting close enough to be getting concussions. I suspect that this is the sort of thing that you'd have to be pretty drat close to a sizable explosion to really need to worry about. Think more "surviving a live mortar blowing in the middle of your square" than "guys 30 feet away amusing tourists with blank charges"

Now, as for your research . . . this might help explain the general behavior of some of your subjects. Something to at least throw in the intro or conclusion as a throw-away conjecture, eh?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now, as for your research . . . this might help explain the general behavior of some of your subjects. Something to at least throw in the intro or conclusion as a throw-away conjecture, eh?
My subjects drink wine by the quart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

I glanced the article and didn't make much of it but I figure it discusses the effects of IEDs, is this correct? My understanding is that being hit by an IED can be an extremely uncomfortable situation, as in people become disoriented, nauseous etc. and these are symptoms felt immediately, not years later. I presume that your experience hasn't been that extreme? :ohdear:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I glanced the article and didn't make much of it but I figure it discusses the effects of IEDs, is this correct? My understanding is that being hit by an IED can be an extremely uncomfortable situation, as in people become disoriented, nauseous etc. and these are symptoms felt immediately, not years later. I presume that your experience hasn't been that extreme? :ohdear:
Nope, black powder firing blanks. Although, I am very glad that people eventually figured out that setting your cannon up in front of the line like this:
and then having everyone walk around them and lie down in front of them was a bad idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

My subjects drink wine by the quart.
It's not a question of how much brain damage, it's a question of how they got it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not a question of how much brain damage, it's a question of how they got it?
Unless a dude has severely abnormal religious beliefs, you should basically assume he is perma drunk.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Just don't join an Iraqi occupation reenactment club and you should be okay.

Since we're stuck on reenactment, what are the most marginal topics you're aware of? All I ever hear of are WW2, WW1, ACW, Napoleonic Wars and such. Are there any Golden Horde reenactors? Aztecs?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Most of the artillerymen I've met just can't hear anymore, especially if they stuck it out for any length of time. I fondly remember a SGM who could hear gently caress all if you were speaking in a normal inside voice.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Most of the artillerymen I've met just can't hear anymore, especially if they stuck it out for any length of time. I fondly remember a SGM who could hear gently caress all if you were speaking in a normal inside voice.

We call it Gunner's Ear. Even with ear defenders, howitzers and mortars are loving LOUD. Most gunners have some sort of tinnitus.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
They should use silencers:

I hope the designer got some kind of prize for that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

We call it Gunner's Ear. Even with ear defenders, howitzers and mortars are loving LOUD. Most gunners have some sort of tinnitus.

I always wondered why we're doing all the fancy robotics whiz bangs at the infantry level, when it seems like field artillery would be a great place for automation to step in. Computer controlled firing platforms with some form of autoloader.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I always wondered why we're doing all the fancy robotics whiz bangs at the infantry level, when it seems like field artillery would be a great place for automation to step in. Computer controlled firing platforms with some form of autoloader.

Expense, ease of moving the guns as the front advances/retreats, and ease of transport would be my main guesses. You're basically making an argument for going all in on SPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Its on the way in a big hurry. They're doing experiments next month where they run a howitzer with a crew of 4 thanks to combination of robots and "strength enhancers".

• Locked thread