Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My English major roommate in college thought JD Salinger was just the best. I never thought he came close to Dostoyevsky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thanatosian is in fact John Madden.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

what are some "classics" you guys didn't like? a lot of 19th century gothic writers, like liars and bad breath, are a huge turn-off for me. i can take it if reading your work is challenging, but don't make it a punishment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nathaniel Hawthorne is unreadable bilge. The Scarlet letter holy poo poo. It's like Warhammer 40 k levels of fiction.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

what are some "classics" you guys didn't like? a lot of 19th century gothic writers, like liars and bad breath, are a huge turn-off for me. i can take it if reading your work is challenging, but don't make it a punishment.

Brave New World and The Scarlet Letter were boring as gently caress

also I don't enjoy Shakespeare

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

also I don't enjoy Shakespeare
reading it and watching it on stage?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn't really like The Old Man and the Sea.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

reading it and watching it on stage?

both, but I also generally don't enjoy theater

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Couldn't get past the first page of Last of the Mohicans and I can read both horrible genre trash and classical literature.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

euphronius posted:

Nathaniel Hawthorne is unreadable bilge. The Scarlet letter holy poo poo. It's like Warhammer 40 k levels of fiction.

I enjoy some of his short stories, Young Goodman Brown has an energy and menace that's worlds apart from the snore fest that is The Scarlet Letter.

Anyway, I loathe Dickens with a passion.

edit:

Zeitgueist posted:

Couldn't get past the first page of Last of the Mohicans and I can read both horrible genre trash and classical literature.

You're in good company on that one.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shakespeare is transcendent man, I don't get that at all. It should not be taught in high school though. What does a 16 year old know about anything to understand those themes.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Shakespeare should not be taught read...it's performance, it doesn't have the same flow in text.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

both, but I also generally don't enjoy theater
seems like a broad thing to dislike. unless you're just bored of 'modern adaptation of romeo and juliet version MCXXIV' because ugh

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

euphronius posted:

Shakespeare is transcendent man, I don't get that at all. It should not be taught in high school though. What does a 16 year old know about anything to understand those themes.

My English teachers gave as much acknowledgement to the sex jokes as they could probably get away with.

Other than that--I don't think it's dumb to teach Shakespeare in high school, but I don't know why they seemed to want us to read one play every year.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

seems like a broad thing to dislike. unless you're just bored of 'modern adaptation of romeo and juliet version MCXXIV' because ugh

It might be (probably is) just the theater I've seen, but I can't handle the overacting and the fake accents and the in-your-face-ness

I like opera and musicals, but that's because I enjoy music (although obviously those are very different kinds of music)

edit: what are similar authors for other languages? like authors everyone Has To Read and that everyone knows about through cultural osmosis? Cervantes for Spanish, I would guess

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

It's probably one of the few instances of classic literature where the well done movie adaptations are just as good, if not better than the book. The 1920, 1936, & 1992 versions are the ones to watch.

Speaking of movies about the plight of Native Americans, I'm a huge sucker for always watching Last of the Dogmen whenever it gets shown on TV. The love story that drives the movie is poo poo, but the scenery and the way they treat the historical treatment of Native Americans is top notch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet is actually fantastic though. He uses lines from the play completely iirc, which I guess means it's not an adaption.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

The '96 Romeo+Juliet movie is weirdly entertaining, frankly. We watched it in 9th grade after we watched the Zeffirelli adaptation.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I know Tom Wolfe isn't literature but I loving hated I Am Charlotte Simmons with the passion of a thousand burning mons pubii

Oh yeah, 70 year old man in a white suit, you totally understand college age women :rolleyes: :barf:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I was intrigued by Waiting for Godot when I read it but it would probably be better performed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is literature?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Anyway, I loathe Dickens with a passion.
i am in a weird place, emotionally, w/r/t dickens. i fuckin hate him but also kind of like some of his characters a lot.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

It might be (probably is) just the theater I've seen, but I can't handle the overacting and the fake accents and the in-your-face-ness

I like opera and musicals, but that's because I enjoy music (although obviously those are very different kinds of music)
haha, yeah, i've seen plays like that. or an avant-garde-ish play with an obese man dancing around in a flesh-coloured loin-cloth (which was hilarious for all the wrong reasons). or a really, really bad performance of la grande bouffe. but theatre's just a medium like any other - you've got good shows, bad ones. i personally like the intimate nature it can have. that's also why i love older movies where the actors clearly have an extensive history in theatre and act that way on film.

i haven't really gotten into opera (yet) but i do love musicals goddamn they're great.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Girl number twenty unable to define a horse! Girl number twenty possessed of no facts, in reference to one of the commonest of animals!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lurhmann's going to do a Hamlet movie as well.

So look forward to watching that in 3D with a score by Taylor Swift.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

^^ i found his soundtrack choices pretty okay for romeo+juliet. moulin rouge, however... i liked the husky spanish type singing roxanne better than sting's whiny poo poo, though^^

euphronius posted:

Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet is actually fantastic though. He uses lines from the play completely iirc, which I guess means it's not an adaption.

Chantilly Say posted:

The '96 Romeo+Juliet movie is weirdly entertaining, frankly. We watched it in 9th grade after we watched the Zeffirelli adaptation.
:agreed:

but that's because luhrmann's style just somehow worked with the story (the only other film of his i've seen was moulin rouge and it could've been great but it wasn't). i'd also watch the film just for john leguizamo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXdeUjM1pc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

but that's because luhrmann's style just somehow worked with the story

It was impressive that he was able to locate pop songs that were evocative of teenage romantic angst.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Strictly Ballroom is worth a watch but I'm a sucker for dance movies

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

yeah, yeah, but the whole 'let's dial everything up to 11 and make things tacky as poo poo' worked as well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
best part of the luhrmann R&J version was the opening scene.

"what noise is this! give me my broad sword!"
*cut to a shotgun with "broadsword" engraved on the barrel*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interesting the name Godot is not supposed to be a reference to God. Don't know what Beckett was thinking because he knew it was going to be translated into English.

Yeah it was originally written in French! Which makes perfect sense really.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

StandardVC10 posted:

I was intrigued by Waiting for Godot when I read it but it would probably be better performed.

My first introduction to Waiting for Godot came when a friend chose a piece from the play to use as his competition piece for the forensic speaking team we were both on.

Problems I have with a lot of Shakespeare can, frankly, be laid more or less entirely at Kenneth Branagh's scene-chewing feet.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 20, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the best shakespeare adaptation is probably rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

probably, maybe

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

the best shakespeare adaptation is probably rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

probably, maybe

It is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I hate almost everything I've ever read by Dickens, the exception being A Tale of Two Cities, which is one of my favorite books.

Robinson Crusoe is also terrible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

I hate almost everything I've ever read by Dickens, the exception being A Tale of Two Cities, which is one of my favorite books.

Robinson Crusoe is also terrible.

Anyone who doesn't like The Mystery of Edwin Drood is living an empty, pointless life. :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Shakespeare wins the battle of "who, if alive today, would make the best Hollywood director?"

Can you imagine what Wagner would film?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

probably, maybe

Scott Tenorman Must Die

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I thought watching Barry Lyndon was a hard slog.... then I read the book. Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

I think Shakespeare wins the battle of "who, if alive today, would make the best Hollywood director?"

Can you imagine what Wagner would film?

I've got a pretty good idea, frankly.

• Locked thread