Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

The only thing holding me back from supporting the neo-classicist at this point is that we'd for sure lose the Roman aesthetic and gently caress that.

Exactly this, hence 'narrow-minded Athenian'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Better a Greek aesthetic than a Ming one.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Hey now, it's just a Ming idea, not an aesthetic. We'll make it all Roman-y, promise.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
##Civil Servant

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Also Ming (successor) ideas: stealing most of Anatolia and smashing us up every chance they get. I've had quite enough of Ming ideas, thank you, and I hoped we had gotten this our of our system when the Sincization vote failed.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

sniper4625 posted:

Also Ming (successor) ideas: stealing most of Anatolia and smashing us up every chance they get. I've had quite enough of Ming ideas, thank you, and I hoped we had gotten this our of our system when the Sincization vote failed.

So, if we choose a constitution, we steal most of Anatolia back?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Big difference by now between the Successor states and the actual Ming themselves; it hasn't been the guys with a fancy constitution that have been butchering us.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

So, if we choose a constitution, we steal most of Anatolia back?

We don't need a constitution to do that, see the map last page .

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
## Support the Mustachiod Monarchist

It's evident that Rome can't stand up to her rivals, and no amount of social contract is going to fix it. We need an enlightened, forward-thinking monarch and, above all, to get rid of these worthless doukes!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The era of Empires has fallen, this is the age of Kings!

## Support the Mustachiod Monarchist

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

As much as I hate all the options, I hate the Ming more.

##Neo-Classicist

And I encourage all non Mingophiles to unite behind this option. Let us pull from our own heritage, not that of our most hated enemies!

Isn't the Roman heritage stealing literally everything that works from someone else and doing it better?

In any case, you were right, I think. But I can't help but feel that A would have been a quick and dirty option that would have tainted any sort of an attempt at a just republic. I can't say that I really like the options on hand, either, but at least ming has constitutionalism as a guarantee and isn't weirdly pagan-fetishistic.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
##Support the Patrician Philosopher, because the Qutuzid family agrees with her statement that everything went haywire for Byzantium when we started listening to the Romanophiles!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
##Support the Scholarly Civil Servant

I'm sad the Banker lost.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I am a totally unbiased and unremarkable Roman citizen, you see!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of these noble speakers have some excellent ideas. Hmm. As it seems our humble civil servant has a good following, I will give the good ##Patrician Philosopher my largely ceremonial support. She has not yet me down yet!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GSD posted:

All of these noble speakers have some excellent ideas. Hmm. As it seems our humble civil servant has a good following, I will give the good ##Patrician Philosopher my largely ceremonial support. She has not yet me down yet!

She hasn't done anything yet.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

PleasingFungus posted:

She hasn't done anything yet.

On the contrary, she ensured the Empress would still lead the nation. and in doing so betrayed the only true chance for meaningful change!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What is it with Paradox mega-LPs and developing modern political systems early? Flamboyant Schemers was a full blown military dictatorship in 1400, we have an opportunity to end up as a constitutional monarchy in the early 1600s, etc.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DerLeo posted:

What is it with Paradox mega-LPs and developing modern political systems early? Flamboyant Schemers was a full blown military dictatorship in 1400, we have an opportunity to end up as a constitutional monarchy in the early 1600s, etc.

Because the one running it and the participating audience have knowledge of modern political systems and use it to spice it up. "Well, we're a monarchy until the liberal revolutions in Vicky 2" isn't really all that interesting.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DerLeo posted:

England almost had a constitutional monarchy about 50 or so years from where we are, it's not that implausible.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A limited constitutional monarchy isn't at all put of period. Just because it was dysfunctional doesn't make the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth less of a limited monarchy where the big decisions were subject to the Sejm.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 20, 2014

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

DerLeo posted:

And let's not forget Emperor Ashoka, who if nothing else at least speak out against the persecution of someone based on their religion, and probably put in legislations regarding it too. And this was during the early 200s BC, a time most people barely know exist. Miracles can happen (even meta-driven goon-sponsored ones).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Julia 'The Shoeless' Ratoslov

Personally, I'd prefer it if the Empress's new role in the government was something totally ceremonial with a modest stipend, but eh. Also, I support Alexus Mars as prime minster to the Empress. ##I Believe In Alexus Mars

So, like, when do we get to the looting?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

##Support the Patrician Philosopher: 8
Rejected Fate
Vander
tatankatonk
ChrisAsmadi
Ghetto Prince
WeaponGradeSadness
Lord Windy
Luhood
GSD

##Support the Nostalgic Neo-classicist: 14
Lord Cyrahzax
TheMcD
skipThings
Sindai
Fox Ironic
Akratic Method
Ageofbob
Dire Wombat
Alpha 1
ThatBasqueGuy
sheep-dodger
Chwoka
Ghostwoods
Adept Nightingale
sniper4625

##Support the Scholarly Civil Servant: 25
Talky
nothing to seehere
Erwin the German
Caustic Soda
StrifeHira
Night10194
Grizzwold
Adventure Pigeon
Unwise_Cashew
GoatLord
NewMars
Not So Fast
GunnerJ
Patter Song
Ogianres
LordGugs
Wentley
TheFlyingLlama
AdventFalls
Lynneth
Blackunknown
Raserys
Sky Shadowing
Talas
NGDBSS
Ratoslov

##Support the Moustachioed Monarchist: 5
YF-23
crimea
Muskatnuss
Clayren
Dibujante
Hitlers Gay Secret

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Wow. Nearly an outright majority in a 4-way race!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, it's a lot less close than I thought it was when I was just eyeballing the votes as I followed along with the thread. :siren: Vote closed.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, it's a lot less close than I thought it was when I was just eyeballing the votes as I followed along with the thread. :siren: Vote closed.

And after we rejected sinicization, too :(

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
We'll be Roman in tech, but that doesn't mean we don't appropriate the good parts of our enemies.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Dibujante posted:

We're not Sincizing, just constitutionizing. As far as I understand, at least.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dibujante posted:

Actually if we can get the government type's benefits without the cultural changeover (both parts speculative, who knows what's going to come out of this, but whatever) then that would be the perfect compromise on that old debate.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hopefully, we can get a good constitutional compromise. Also, hopefully I can be prime minister!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

sniper4625 posted:

We're not Sincizing, just constitutionizing. As far as I understand, at least.

Constitutionizing along Chinese lines!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Weaboos ruining my glorious Hellenic restoration!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dibujante posted:

Constitutionizing along Chinese lines!

Constitutionalism with Byzantine characteristics.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Weaboos ruining my glorious Hellenic restoration!

Can't stop, won't stop. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

• Locked thread