Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

PantsBandit posted:

I just noticed that Lisa is hovering in the air and not just really tall. I think I preferred it when I thought her legs were just creepily extended.

I also thought her legs were just creepily extended until this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Something I noticed:

There are 2 (maybe more?) broadcasts about fathers killing their family. I don't think the house you are in is either - there are no kids in the pictures. And it does say the father killed them and wasn't original about it. So something on the radio causes people to snap? The broadcast you get when you look through the hole in the red section? (sounds like it's encouraging people that lost their job to kill things) And no one's really figured out the numbers. It could be Kojima's birthday, but that's kind of lame.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Maia posted:

I also thought her legs were just creepily extended until this post.

I have a screen of her standing in the hallway and her legs create a shadow all the way down to her feet on the floor.

:gonk:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The shadow is going the other way. Her feet extend to the floor, at least in that shot. Edit: misunderstood what you meant whups

acksplode fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 19, 2014

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

God I was only watching the walkthrough on Giantbomb and that was one of the most intense feelings I ever had with a game. I had to stop, restart the video multiple times and that was just watching it! I can't imagine what it's like playing it (sadly don't have a PS4). I do agree with Patrick that it overstays its welcome but that first 30-45 minutes, they really nailed it.

the black husserl posted:

It will be interesting to see how SOMA approaches enemy encounter design - every enemy is unique and every encounter will be different, meaning the player will never be able to learn the "rules" on their first playthrough.

I have high hopes for SOMA because Frictional Games's blog has some really interesting posts on horror and game design and if they pull off what they say, it will be great.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 19, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

halokiller posted:

God I was only watching the walkthrough on Giantbomb and that was one of the most intense feelings I ever had with a game. I had to stop, restart the video multiple times and that was just watching it! I can't imagine what it's like playing it (sadly don't have a PS4). I do agree with Patrick that it overstays its welcome but that first 30-45 minutes, they really nailed it.

I disagree it overstays its welcome. That's an explanation of boredom. I think P.T. makes you so uncomfortable you want it to be over.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

echronorian posted:

I disagree it overstays its welcome. That's an explanation of boredom. I think P.T. makes you so uncomfortable you want it to be over.

Nah I straight up got bored after walking around that hallway stuck for 20 minutes. The most threatening moment in PT is stepping into a new hallway not knowing what to expect. Too much time spent in one area and it begins to feel like a broken funhouse ride.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

acksplode posted:

Nah I straight up got bored after walking around that hallway stuck for 20 minutes. The most threatening moment in PT is stepping into a new hallway not knowing what to expect. Too much time spent in one area and it begins to feel like a broken funhouse ride.

Yeah, it stopped being scary once you were trying to get spooky things to appear. It was also frustrating having to look up a guide to realise that, after trying all the other buttons on the controller, R3 was the only one which actually did anything.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ya, sorry, you're right. I was pretty drunk earlier.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope they switch the zoom button in the full game. R3 is not useful for anything but occasional quick presses.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ymgve posted:

I hope they switch the zoom button in the full game. R3 is not useful for anything but occasional quick presses.

Well, considering the gameplay shouldn't have anything to do with the final game, there might not be a zoom button at all.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
This is like when Kojima took over for Castlevania that needed a reboot. I honestly wish he had more input then because Lords of Shadow obviously isn't bringing in the money.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I still love seeing people look at the hanging fridge and saying 'Oh man it's leaking stuff! Haha, stand under it!' and then the screen gets covered in a huge splash and they just lose it. So gross.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have a screen of her standing in the hallway and her legs create a shadow all the way down to her feet on the floor.

:gonk:

Yeah I see what you mean. I was specifically thinking of this image:

Ignore the extra image, I just grabbed it from a reddit post.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The first time I got a good look at her before I covered my face with the controller I just thought "of course there's blood pouring out of her vagina. Of course there is."

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Inspector Hound posted:

The first time I got a good look at her before I covered my face with the controller I just thought "of course there's blood pouring out of her vagina. Of course there is."

Well yes. There is a foetus in the bathroom sink. Which is pretty hosed up if you think about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The really exciting thing is that Kojima has just enough pull in the company to make that kind of thing happen.

If this was handed off to a new team then it'd be focus grouped to death, sticking to "what worked" too much and all creative freedom would be gagged by producers who want a game that sells well, rather than a game that experiments because experimentation means trying new things and new things don't have market graphs already made for them so they're shot down in favour of the stuff that's already been graphed as selling really well. This, plus general inexperience, is what killed Silent Hill games for pretty much the entire last generation of consoles.

I'm getting the feeling that this is sort of a Hail Mary to save Silent Hill. I don't know if anyone would've blamed Konami for just kind of conveniently forgetting Silent Hill exists after the past few years' worth of disappointing games (and outright what-the-hell-are-they-thinking games like Book of Memories), so the fact that they appear to be going all-out on this one, attaching a big-name developer, big-name film director, and big-name TV actor to it, suggests to me that they're not interested in playing it safe. It's an all or nothing gamble. That's pretty exciting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well yes. There is a foetus in the bathroom sink. Which is pretty hosed up if you think about it.

its quite eloquent for its age, to its merit though

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I thought it looked more like the baby from Eraserhead, rather than an actual fetus.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

I thought it looked more like the baby from Eraserhead, rather than an actual fetus.

Well for a shotgunned baby, it could look a hell of alot worse.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Broseph Brostar posted:

I recently saw Eraserhead for the first time and this was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw the fetus.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

its quite eloquent for its age, to its merit though

He (it) quickly surpassed the rotten banana next to the radio as my favorite character after his little monologue in the bathroom. I only wish he had a Bugsy Malone voice. Maybe a top hat and cigar.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Lifepuzzler posted:

He (it) quickly surpassed the rotten banana next to the radio as my favorite character after his little monologue in the bathroom. I only wish he had a Bugsy Malone voice. Maybe a top hat and cigar.

I laughed out loud at the absurdity of this scene. And then I think I screamed like a girl a few moments later.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was pretty sure that voice was just a general in-the-house disembodied ghostly voice, not the fetus talking. It always moves its mouth, regardless of what's happening elsewhere.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So is there a decent playthrough/let's play/walkthrough of this game on youtube yet? All the videos I've found either rush through or have someone screaming about how scary it is.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So wait, people have gotten to the end without Lisa appearing to kill you? How the hell do you get past the second time you're in the hall with the bathroom ajar and the door at the end closed, then? I've never gotten through there without walking back and forth once or twice, hearing the radio say "DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL NOW", and getting the giant jumpscare gently caress-you death. If there's some other way to get past that bit then I'd like to know it, because fuuuuuuuuck that jump scare, it's randomized and it is terrifying and I am a giant baby. :ohdear:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

If there's some other way to get past that bit then I'd like to know it, because fuuuuuuuuck that jump scare, it's randomized and it is terrifying and I am a giant baby. :ohdear:

Silent Hills is going to be the Dark Souls of horror games isn't it? I picture lots of people giving up out of absolute dread of playing and I think that is the intention in the first place.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 20, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

a foolish pianist posted:

I was pretty sure that voice was just a general in-the-house disembodied ghostly voice, not the fetus talking. It always moves its mouth, regardless of what's happening elsewhere.

That poo poo was loving with me too, when I heard the breathing from being "possessed" I thought that it was fetus breathing heavily.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Wandering Knitter posted:

So is there a decent playthrough/let's play/walkthrough of this game on youtube yet? All the videos I've found either rush through or have someone screaming about how scary it is.

I have watched the top one, both claim to have no commentary so they should be fine. The first one also has no ghost attacks! But it does appear outside once or twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkCL-vuQ3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFCjCxaDAVI

e: It is interesting to compare the two and see how things pan out differently.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 20, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

a foolish pianist posted:

No way, it's definitely the fetus. He's the one talking to you after triggering the ending too. "Dad was so boring..."

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

superh posted:

No way, it's definitely the fetus. He's the one talking to you after triggering the ending too. "Dad was so boring..."

Yeah He moves his mouth all the time but if you watch him talk in the bathroom it's in sync and he stops moving his mouth when he finishes talking. It's him telling you it all

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BlackFrost posted:

So wait, people have gotten to the end without Lisa appearing to kill you? How the hell do you get past the second time you're in the hall with the bathroom ajar and the door at the end closed, then? I've never gotten through there without walking back and forth once or twice, hearing the radio say "DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL NOW", and getting the giant jumpscare gently caress-you death. If there's some other way to get past that bit then I'd like to know it, because fuuuuuuuuck that jump scare, it's randomized and it is terrifying and I am a giant baby. :ohdear:

If you use R3 to peer past the bathroom door toward the sink, Lisa appears from inside and shuts it. Then the exit door opens.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

BlackFrost posted:

I'm pretty sure collecting all pieces of the photo stops her from killing you. After the first playthrough I've gotten them all ASAP, and she hasn't killed me since.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

TheMostFrench posted:

I still love seeing people look at the hanging fridge and saying 'Oh man it's leaking stuff! Haha, stand under it!' and then the screen gets covered in a huge splash and they just lose it. So gross.

I am a giant goddamned baby, so my mindset in playing this was "pretend you're just playing another lovely "horror" "game" like Lowtax and Shmorky" and try to laugh everything off. So as soon as I saw the fridge was leaking I got my rear end underneath and looked straight up, just soaked it in for a while and laughed about it.

And I still flinched every time ghost lady dove into me. :(

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's quite happy there.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

acksplode posted:

If you use R3 to peer past the bathroom door toward the sink, Lisa appears from inside and shuts it. Then the exit door opens.

There's supposed to be a broken picture on the ground with "R3" written on it to introduce the player to the controls but it doesn't appear a lot of the time.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Apparently there is a Swedish radio transmission during one of the haunts. It has been translated and seems to have some pretty big revelations.

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/the-swedish-radio-transmission-in-p-t-hides-a-major-re-1624276494/+Fahey

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

echronorian posted:

Silent Hills is going to be the Dark Souls of horror games isn't it? I picture lots of people giving up out of absolute dread of playing and I think that is the intention in the first place.

Kojima has stated pretty much verbatim this.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

poor nose posted:

Apparently there is a Swedish radio transmission during one of the haunts. It has been translated and seems to have some pretty big revelations.

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/the-swedish-radio-transmission-in-p-t-hides-a-major-re-1624276494/+Fahey

Huh, not sure I like that direction. I feel like the actual, literal reason the characters get to Silent Hill isn't as important as what they experience while there and

just seems kind of dumb. I mean I know Silent Hill has done it before, so who knows. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I mean I know Silent Hill has done it before, so who knows. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If it actually is a hint about the plot of Silent Hills and not just more P.T. wackiness, it might be more of a Lovecraftian kind of thing. Not little gray men aliens, but unknowable horrors from beyond the stars.

• Locked thread