Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thought of a magic themed reality show with Penn and Teller as judges had never occurred to me, but I have to say I'm interested...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
All these tree people and they didn't even mention Groot. Are they not allowed to just mention a character from a movie in theater? Looks like it would be good advertisement.

Edit: I hope Doc goes home he's a silly looking trainwreck.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I was surprised how good some of these came out. Also totally expected the dude who's branches were too heavy to get sent home and not the older dude with stump zombie.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

KungFu Grip posted:

I was surprised how good some of these came out. Also totally expected the dude who's branches were too heavy to get sent home and not the older dude with stump zombie.

The tree stump looked like it had been tp'd with colorful toilet paper.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Doc and Jason really redeemed themselves this week, if you'd shown me the final makeups without telling me who made them there's no way I would have connected them with that winning entry based on their previous efforts. I like Sasha and Cakeboss but it feels like they're barely skating through and I've got a feeling that when they do gently caress up they're gonna screw the pooch all the way.

Oraculum Animi posted:

All these tree people and they didn't even mention Groot. Are they not allowed to just mention a character from a movie in theater? Looks like it would be good advertisement.

They probably filmed these episodes months and months ago and the contestants might not have been all that familiar with Groot, although I'm sure there would have been a few images of him around back then. I was also a bit surprised that they brought up the rapey trees from Evil Dead as an example for the contestants. :v:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is it just me, or does this season have the highest number of silly-looking people out of all the seasons so far? It also feels like just an overall weaker season in general, too. I have always thought the show's had exceedingly stupid concepts; for the most part, with only a few exceptions that I can think of, the ideas for characters and their backstories that the artists come up with really exemplify why they are in the makeup field and not writers, but this season feels like it's somehow worse than the ones before it in this respect. It could just be because normally I wait until the full season is up on demand, and then I binge through them, but this season I'm watching as it airs because there's not much else in season, so maybe I have more time to ponder the concepts, I dunno.

edit: That said, I was shocked that Doc was involved in the best makeup this week. That guy has been on thin ice the whole series, and he couldn't get the arms to mold without breaking, but, as the ever stupid-looking Glenn Hetrick pointed out, likely by the grace of having the partner he did, the look still came out on top. It's only a matter of time before Doc is gone, though, I'm sure. If he somehow won this season, I would have no uncertainties about it being the worst season (unless he somehow becomes a far stronger makeup artist one night).

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 14, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well technically speaking it could happen. Remember whatsherface from Season 3? She was eliminated for being middle of the pack, then somehow came back so strong she was outshining Laura and Roy. I'm still half-convinced the producers were helping her on those.

That said yeah I think this week's makeups were pretty weak overall. Aside from the awesome White Birch done by Sasha the Savant and whoshername none of the concepts were very unique, and while I fully admit this is probably because I'm not a professional makeup artist I didn't get the big deal with the tree they gave top looks to.

Still there's plenty of room left in the season for improvement.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't really think they care about the back stories as much beyond giving context to the visual, to prove that yeah, you did have a vision for this thing. That's why they eliminated Vince, because there was just no vision associated with the sequoia beyond "well it's a guy with a stump head", which was rightly called out as stupid.

I want to say that the producers told Lois that the willow branches were missing, but she's probably just actually pro enough to have realized it herself. I do wonder what actually happened. It would be kind of heartbreaking to go home for something different than what walked out of last looks. But hey, if the model can't wear it, you designed it wrong.

For one, I though there were no bum prompts. All the tree species had potential and all the maladies were cool. No "Easter islands" this week.

Also: the dancing bit! Yay, another season of making friends :3

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Basebf555 posted:

The thought of a magic themed reality show with Penn and Teller as judges had never occurred to me, but I have to say I'm interested...

Find some episodes of 'Fool Us.' There are a bunch of clips on YouTube.

Basically the same premise they did for UK television a few years back. Were some fun performances, and they rated the contestants based on whether they could figure out the trick or not

/derail

Why does two bad artists = good makeup? And I was not aware that parts would be removed if the model couldn't carry them. Makes sense, but I think this is the first time something was taken away for that reason.

Cake girl is letting me down :-(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fejsze posted:

And I was not aware that parts would be removed if the model couldn't carry them. Makes sense, but I think this is the first time something was taken away for that reason.

The weeping willow branches looked like they were pretty light and wouldn't have been a problem for the model but I think they fell off under their own weight because they weren't attached at all properly. I think they were just jammed into the back of the costume instead of being anchored down.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Here's a pretty cool video of a much more 90's Ve putting the Mrs. Doubtfire face on Robin Williams. Check out her glasses. :3: And no seams in sight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZoSGvnGNys

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sasha seems very talented but too inexperienced. If she had a little more technical know-how I think she'd be a contender to win the whole thing.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I just cannot seem to get into this season. Maybe I'm just burned out on the show as a whole. It feels like the contestants have gotten more and more amateurish. No one really sticks out to me as someone who could really work beyond low budget Sharknado level stuff. And they seem to be running out of challenge ideas. Its basically combine this with that and make a thing.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
My wife and I have been rewatching Top Chef from the first season. One thing that becomes clear on that show is each progressive season attracts better competitors. This show really should be doing the same.
And for the challenges, so what if they do the same challenges from season to season? Make some of them staples that return season after season.
I'm also disappointed in this season. The contestants just seem, meh. Same thing happened on Ink Master.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Some more time between seasons would help. Last season just ended, what, two months ago?

Last season was like this too. I wasn't that interested until about half the contestants got eliminated. So far I guess I'm rooting for the woman with the short blonde hair. Cakeboss started off strong but hasn't done much to impress. And I'm still hoping Cig goes home, because I just want to smack those stupid hats off his balding pate.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is unimpressed with this season. Although I have realized that eyebrows, no matter what color your hair currently is, should remain brown/black/blond/ginger.

I'm looking at you, Keaghlan.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I liked the birch texture/make-up this week more than anything else this whole season. The eyes peppered throughout were dumb as poo poo though. We really need another Roy/Eric Fox doing crazy stuff though. Everyone seems timid and their "personas" are all high school level at best. Crazy colored hair was trendy 15 years ago, now it's just sad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

oneof27 posted:

My wife and I have been rewatching Top Chef from the first season. One thing that becomes clear on that show is each progressive season attracts better competitors. This show really should be doing the same.

In a some shows like Top Chef, you get actual pros competing once the show gets popular, because the shows gives good exposure. For this show, pros are probably prohibited since they are union.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
That's a very interesting point. And a shame.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Tonight's Episode: Animal Attraction - Sneak Peek

Theme: The 11 remaining artists face another individual challenge when they are told to mash-up two animals and create a unique new species.

--

This actually sounds pretty cool, but I think most of the concepts will be loving awful.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
My younger brother once drew a dolphin and monkey mashup, so I'd like to see the contestant's take on that.

e: my brother was 19 or 20 when he drew it

trem fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 19, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

trem posted:

My younger brother once drew a dolphin and monkey mashup, so I'd like to see the contestant's take on that.

I'm pretty sure there was a challenge in a past season where they teamed up with kids to make their crazy drawings come to life.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So many cute animals!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've nver heard of the Coadamundi.. that thing's kinda neat.

Oooowl and Fenec Fox!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Armagator seems the most promising combo but I'm looking forward to the owl/fennec combo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This challenge is kinda stupid because its just assumed all the "creatures" are going to be roughly human shaped because its a human model. The guy that's doing the crazy looking alligator head has the right idea, I hope he pulls it off.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So far these are looking pretty rough.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Some of these are too human. Also Cake Boss probably going home because how dare you do the miner and subterranean mammal character. Most of these sucked big time and should have gone with the actual animal like gimmick I guess. A lot of these are horrific and it seems like almost everyone hated doing this challenge.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Several people screwed up the eyes by making them too doll-like

EDIT: Dead soulless gaze

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Some of these are too human. Also Cake Boss probably going home because how dare you do the miner and subterranean mammal character. Most of these sucked big time and should have gone with the actual animal like gimmick I guess. A lot of these are horrific and it seems like almost everyone hated doing this challenge.

I think it's the "hybrid" part that screwed things up. A lot of them picked critters that either didn't go together at all or were too similar and this hard to distinguish.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Honestly hope Doc gets cut because thats the second hosed up looking face he's done. Also looks too human in the face.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Lol. It looks like a furry mister t
Stella's I mean. But, yeah, doc's needs to go. That's the flying monkey right?

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 20, 2014

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

KungFu Grip posted:

Honestly hope Doc gets cut because thats the second hosed up looking face he's done. Also looks too human in the face.

I think because he has been on the bottom so much that he is most likely to get the boot. He hasn't really shown any strengths outside of group work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

It was just so fugly. I can appreciate the concept but it kinda hurts to look at.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Not bad but I liked Sasha's owl thingy more.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Doc's was one of very few that suggested a character and a story, it's just that it wasn't done by anything he made. Top looks for Doc's contact in the wardrobe department.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
"It's the opposite of painted beautifully."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat it Stella,

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Well that's the stupidest haircut off the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Just quoting myself from last week because I watched the premiere of the show last night and was extremely aggravated yet again by SyFy's insistence on making every show Face Off. The "shop time" segments are so loving horrible and pretty much unwatchable, and the format is just dumb all the way around.

Couldn't just do a magic talent show judged by Penn & Teller could we? I hate the way networks think.

• Locked thread