Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The camera in Nier is rear end. Not rear end enough to make me ever stop playing (it is a crime the game did not do all that well), but juuuuust enough to cock things up at the exact wrong moment without fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I don't really mind the stupid CoD-like story in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon but the gameplay seems just so slow. Every single aircraft takes a million hits before it explodes, some of them require the QTE minigame to shot it down and even then they take up to 3 or 4 missiles. Sometimes they are invincible for a brief time because the game feels like showing you a chase sequence between falling buildings . The same applies to the Apache missions - everything is so durable you have to shoot it for a few good seconds. The weapons don't feel powerful at all.

Also there's little to do in the game apart from shooting. There's one scene in which you fly in AC-130. You are the gunner in that one (again, like in CoD) but at one point there's a soldier to extract. He's using a balloon (fulton-like) and the AC-130 pilot has to fly precisely to recover him. I've no idea why that isn't a gameplay component but I had to sit and listen to the pilot making the approach instead. I only played AC1 and 4 but AH definitely is the weakest of them.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Terminally Bored posted:

I don't really mind the stupid CoD-like story in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon but the gameplay seems just so slow. Every single aircraft takes a million hits before it explodes, some of them require the QTE minigame to shot it down and even then they take up to 3 or 4 missiles. Sometimes they are invincible for a brief time because the game feels like showing you a chase sequence between falling buildings . The same applies to the Apache missions - everything is so durable you have to shoot it for a few good seconds. The weapons don't feel powerful at all.

Also there's little to do in the game apart from shooting. There's one scene in which you fly in AC-130. You are the gunner in that one (again, like in CoD) but at one point there's a soldier to extract. He's using a balloon (fulton-like) and the AC-130 pilot has to fly precisely to recover him. I've no idea why that isn't a gameplay component but I had to sit and listen to the pilot making the approach instead. I only played AC1 and 4 but AH definitely is the weakest of them.

I'm a big AC fan (played all except the xbox and psp exclusives) fortunately I downloaded the demo of Assault Horizon before buying it and saw how bad it was. There's a new free to play AC title on PS3 called Ace Combat Infinity which goes back to the old style of play.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, I've been meaning to try that one out but F2P moniker is turning me off. Is grindy?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to try that one out but F2P moniker is turning me off. Is grindy?

A little yeah, it's just as grindy as the other Namco F2P titles Soulcalibur: Lost Swords and Tekken Revolution, but it's free.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
They've been keeping it fun so far with contests, special drops, unlocks, etc. Plus, it's usually not tough to find goons to fly with :dance:

And it does feature a single-player mode that is technically free (if you'd rather grind endlessly for in-game credits to unlock the missions one at a time than shell out the $20 they're asking for to instantly unlock all the missions) and has been generally well-received.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Still can't fight the feeling that if I play this and/or pay for some bullshit fuel system then I become a part of the problem. This is another thing that's dragging games down for me, the F2P model.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm sure everything there is to be said about Dead Rising has been many, many times over. I've still tried to go back to it again though, after having recently enjoyed an LP of it.

I just forgot how ruthless it is! I don't mind the cheesy story and acting, but I kind of just want Dawn of the Dead: The Game (being a big fan of the original movie despite its ham-fisted elements). It has a ton of neat and fun ideas in this respect, but it's hampered by a bizarre save/life system and the notoriously bad survivor AI ("Frank! FRANK!!!"). I remembered after playing yesterday that it can be helpful to give all your survivors guns, so they don't mindlessly charge into crowds of zombies, so I might try that later... or I might just plough through zombies in the underground tunnels until Frank becomes marginally useful!

It feels particularly rough that the first real survivors you encounter are in the narrow Al Fresca Plaza, which is almost always brimming with zombies. To make matters worse, you're likely to get to them just as HE AIN'T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY starts appearing in the central park area.

I'm sure there are harder games, but I'm just not that hardcore, man. :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Terminally Bored posted:

Still can't fight the feeling that if I play this and/or pay for some bullshit fuel system then I become a part of the problem. This is another thing that's dragging games down for me, the F2P model.

No big deal if that's a concern for you. Instead, find copies of Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat Zero and fire up the PS2. If you liked 4, you'll love both of them.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

SpookyLizard posted:

It doesn't stop you from playing it that way, but it gets annoyed with you, gives you infinite enemies, and lets cool toys for not being sneaky. FC3 did this same bullshit, where you got like 4x the points for not being seen when clearing the outposts. it made it a fun challenge, but hey assholes, this game has like, a whole pile of neat guns. Stop giving me fun toys and then insisting I not use them in order to get a halfway useful amount of XP.

This is always a problem when it happens. Every approach should give an equal reward. What, stealth is easier? Well make the enemies tougher to fight to compensate I guess?

Also stealth in FC3 was much easier than Rambo mode.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
A large amount of the skills in Far Cry 3 were easily skippable anyway. Some of those later takedowns were so situation specific that they would never pay for their own xp cost. By the time you get the double herbs and leather passives you barely need those things. Hitting the level cap wasn't important enough to put Rambo mode on pause.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

This is always a problem when it happens. Every approach should give an equal reward. What, stealth is easier? Well make the enemies tougher to fight to compensate I guess?

Also stealth in FC3 was much easier than Rambo mode.

Stealth was easier, but the perfect stealth was somewhat difficult, especially with how bullshity some of the enemies were with spotting you. It wasn't "no alerts" it was unseen, which was pretty loving lame. Even Metal Gear forces enemies to have to actually get a chance to call in an alert, and gives you a chance to incapacitate someone before they go full on alert mode.

Don't remember if the game gives you more points for takedowning dudes either, but I'm pretty sure it does.

All of this is to the side of course of the bullshit heavies who take repeated headshots to die and whose takedown is a separate skill which doesn't work with the others and can only be unlocked like half way through the game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SpookyLizard posted:

Stealth was easier, but the perfect stealth was somewhat difficult, especially with how bullshity some of the enemies were with spotting you. It wasn't "no alerts" it was unseen, which was pretty loving lame. Even Metal Gear forces enemies to have to actually get a chance to call in an alert, and gives you a chance to incapacitate someone before they go full on alert mode.

Don't remember if the game gives you more points for takedowning dudes either, but I'm pretty sure it does.

All of this is to the side of course of the bullshit heavies who take repeated headshots to die and whose takedown is a separate skill which doesn't work with the others and can only be unlocked like half way through the game.

Clearing an outpost is 500xp; clearing it with no alarms is a small bonus, like 550 maybe? While clearing it undetected is 1500, and usually involved some sort of fluke when I did it (a truck of Rakyat in the same area, tiger wandering by, etc.)

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Sniper rifle with advanced scope and silencer is your friend; take the high-ground, use the camera to spot all the enemies, take out the alarms, shoot the cages full of wild animals whenever possible, and just go for the head shot every time. I cleared every out post without being seen, I enjoyed playing this way more than Rambo style, I set myself a personal goal of not being spotted.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Clearing an outpost is 500xp; clearing it with no alarms is a small bonus, like 550 maybe? While clearing it undetected is 1500, and usually involved some sort of fluke when I did it (a truck of Rakyat in the same area, tiger wandering by, etc.)

That sounds right-ish, but I thought undetected was 2k points.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

beato posted:

Sniper rifle with advanced scope and silencer is your friend; take the high-ground, use the camera to spot all the enemies, take out the alarms, shoot the cages full of wild animals whenever possible, and just go for the head shot every time. I cleared every out post without being seen, I enjoyed playing this way more than Rambo style, I set myself a personal goal of not being spotted.
The best way to play is to ghost an outpost without using silenced weapons. You only lose that bonus if you're seen, even if enemies know they're under attack. You can run around with the grenade launcher and kill everyone before they see you and still receive the undetected bonus.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm sure everything there is to be said about Dead Rising has been many, many times over. I've still tried to go back to it again though, after having recently enjoyed an LP of it.

I just forgot how ruthless it is! I don't mind the cheesy story and acting, but I kind of just want Dawn of the Dead: The Game (being a big fan of the original movie despite its ham-fisted elements). It has a ton of neat and fun ideas in this respect, but it's hampered by a bizarre save/life system and the notoriously bad survivor AI ("Frank! FRANK!!!"). I remembered after playing yesterday that it can be helpful to give all your survivors guns, so they don't mindlessly charge into crowds of zombies, so I might try that later... or I might just plough through zombies in the underground tunnels until Frank becomes marginally useful!

It feels particularly rough that the first real survivors you encounter are in the narrow Al Fresca Plaza, which is almost always brimming with zombies. To make matters worse, you're likely to get to them just as HE AIN'T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY starts appearing in the central park area.

I'm sure there are harder games, but I'm just not that hardcore, man. :(

Maybe try picking up Dead Rising 2: OTR? The AI and general gameplay is a lot better.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The real thing dragging the game down is that you type this and I have no choice but to pull that stupid loving song up on youtube. Either that or the game's entire epilogue segment. The scavenger hunt aspect was annoying and trying to contend with swarms of enemies with guns was the antithesis of fun, the engine just wasn't designed for it. I never did finish DR1, loving loved DR2 though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would advise regular DR2 over OTR, in DR2 the survivors where tanks and could be left alone, they could also free themselves, in OTR they have less health and cannot free themselves requiring more babysitting.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I would advise regular DR2 over OTR, in DR2 the survivors where tanks and could be left alone, they could also free themselves, in OTR they have less health and cannot free themselves requiring more babysitting.

Really? I thought it was the other way around. Whatever OTR has Sandbox mode so you don't even have to bother with stupid survivors.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

Really? I thought it was the other way around. Whatever OTR has Sandbox mode so you don't even have to bother with stupid survivors.

True but the story mode is worth a playthrough.

And yea, DR2 had super tanky survivors who could free themselves, they went back on that for DR2 for some weird reason.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I got lost forever because I missed a drawer that could be examined - the reason being the table it was attached too could also be examined. I button mashed around the thing for awhile and left thinking there was nothing important there.

After that I got to meet a new enemy type who has likes to rush you, and cause Heather to lie down and contemplate her life choices when they hit her. They also tend to appear in groups of 3-4. In narrow hallways.

Also, I hate pitfalls in Silent Hill 3. Scariest enemies in the whole drat game so far.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Why yes , Agent 47, I would like to know the backstory story of Diana every time I load Hitman Absolution.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

beato posted:

Why yes , Agent 47, I would like to know the backstory story of Diana every time I load Hitman Absolution.

It's skippable though. You can be at the main menu within 10 seconds of booting the game with two key presses. I wish all games were like that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So the latest GTA V update technically increased pay-out for missions.

But they come at the cost of sitting around like an idiot, basically with the old system it was a flat pay-out so most people just ran them quickly, now its based off time spent, so doing it fast will give you the worst payment, but sitting 5 feet from where you need to hand it the objective and waiting like 10 minutes will give you a better payment.

In words, Rockstar now actively punishes you for being efficient. :cripes:

I don't understand a company can be this dumb with its online system, its like they can't figure out any other way to push their stupid cash cards beyond annoying the player.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The boss fights and ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution are quite a let down. Without spoiling the ending/s, the game just ushers you into a room with four buttons. Whichever button you press gives a different ending. The endings themselves are stock footage with Adam Jensen talking over them. The only redeeming feature is that his dialogue changes based on how many people you killed throughout the game.

The boss fights could only be beaten by combat even though the rest of the game offered multiple paths and ways of achieving your objective. It's not even a matter of difficulty. I played on the hardest mode on a stealth run and still had enough combat skills to beat the bosses without too much stress. It was just a letdown that they only had one way to be beaten.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

EmmyOk posted:

The boss fights could only be beaten by combat even though the rest of the game offered multiple paths and ways of achieving your objective. It's not even a matter of difficulty. I played on the hardest mode on a stealth run and still had enough combat skills to beat the bosses without too much stress. It was just a letdown that they only had one way to be beaten.

Play the Director's Cut version, it solves this problem. There are many ways to beat each boss now.

(However, the Director's Cut comes with a thing dragging it down of its own, namely that it forces you to play through the terrible Missing Link DLC.)

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Mierenneuker posted:

It's skippable though. You can be at the main menu within 10 seconds of booting the game with two key presses. I wish all games were like that.

If it was skippable do you think I would have posted about it here. I'm playing the console version btw, if that makes a difference, perhaps its a bug?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mikl posted:

Play the Director's Cut version, it solves this problem. There are many ways to beat each boss now.

(However, the Director's Cut comes with a thing dragging it down of its own, namely that it forces you to play through the terrible Missing Link DLC.)

I have the Missing Link DLC, I've only played an hour or so but it seemed fine tbh. Anything in particular bad about? That's great news about the DC Edition though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

EmmyOk posted:

I have the Missing Link DLC, I've only played an hour or so but it seemed fine tbh. Anything in particular bad about? That's great news about the DC Edition though.

Its repetitive, involves a ton of backtracking, drops dumb sequel hooks, and does a lot of stupid poo poo with your inventory and Praxis points.

The only good part is that it actually explains what's going on with the final boss, making it come out of left field a bit less.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

beato posted:

If it was skippable do you think I would have posted about it here. I'm playing the console version btw, if that makes a difference, perhaps its a bug?

Perhaps they patched it in later, because that's how it is on PC.

EmmyOk posted:

I guess some people don't like having their guns and augmentations taken away from them. I liked it because that added some tension back into the game. I also ended up using things I hadn't used before.
Edit: Yeah, I guess the backtracking through the prison section gets a bit old. Mostly because it features an unskippable security scanner they put in to mask loading times.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't mind losing my praxis kits, I'm looking forward to doing the no equipment/upgrades run for the DLC. I felt like the main game was far too giving with praxis kits anyway. How do they do it if the DLC is spliced into the main game? Do you just lose a lot of praxis kits or do they give you back the amount you had?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At the end they give you back slightly less than what you had, because you gain a lot of levels during the DLC. You'd probably end up with a surplus otherwise. I think you still come out on top in the end.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

At the end they give you back slightly less than what you had, because you gain a lot of levels during the DLC. You'd probably end up with a surplus otherwise. I think you still come out on top in the end.

Especially if it's your first playthrough, because you probably put some points in augmentations you didn't end up liking. So when you do get those praxis points back you'll invest them more wisely.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

The only good part is that it actually explains what's going on with the final boss, making it come out of left field a bit less.

Using the social aug on Mengyao and hacking the occasional computer is a much better way to learn about that than playing that miserable thing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
DXHR's director's cut was hideously optimized for me. Maybe there's a tweak or settings to alter somewhere, but for me it was barely touching my GPU while my CPU was kicking it up at 90% usage.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

People get mad that the augments you have been abusing the whole game aren't available and are forced to play differently. I personally loved the missing link.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Missing Link was pretty awesome in general and improved on everything from the game engine to the boss battles to the interactivity (there's a point where you're exploring the office of the DLC's big bad guy and if you look close enough you can find a safe holding his custom revolver and steal it, leaving him without it during the boss battle at the end). It's so weird to me that people bitched about getting too much experience during the main game and then when the devs listened and made you pick and choose from a limited experience pool in Missing Link people turned around and bitched about that too.

That said, it does totally kill the game's pacing dropping it right before the game's final act in the Director's Cut. And the integration of the Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut was pretty poo poo: it's hidden behind an Extras menu with no instructions or fanfare, there's no visual indication of where the hotspots to activate the commentary are or if you've already listened to a piece of commentary or not, and when commentary is playing you can't use area transitions. Also it's automatically overridden by in-game communications, so if you don't just sit there listening motionlessly you'll inevitably be two minutes into a bit and then Malik will message you and you'll have to go back and start the whole message over again. And they just dump commentary non-sequentially so on your first visit to Hengsha you'll find a piece of commentary where they talk about Malik's death and a bunch of other stuff that you won't encounter for another dozen hours.

Which is a shame because the actual commentary is great and refreshingly open and honest.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno if it was just me but the DR also felt like it was somehow a worse port with worse graphics than the original (on PC). This should not be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You can definitely skip that intro to Hitman, I have it for ps3 and don't hear much at all past "Diana--" then it's that menu and the kid mumbling or something.