Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone have any 3rd level pregens just laying around? I think I'll try and scare up a 4-person group tomorrow to test some of the adventure with Skype+Roll20.

CaptainPsyko posted:

There are level 1-10 pregens for every class on THe vault IIRC.

Correct.

https://www.13thage.org

Working on TW classes - but dear god, the Monk is going to be impossible to fit on two pages.

Chaos Mage will probably just say "See Book"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Last-minute unfortunate drop-out, need one more player for level 3 one-shot, Roll20+Skype, mic pretty much mandatory, hit me up on Skype @ public.opinion.sa, looking to get started as soon as chargen is done, 3 PM Pacific at the latest hopefully. Filled.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

That was me being a pest; I got a "good idea, will check" and then no response since.

The map is available as a free download on the Pelgrane site as well as DriveThruRPG. We don't yet have a product that includes a version that you can repurpose for campaigns in other ages, where the landscape might be different. However! Campaign Cartographer supports making your own 13th Age style maps: http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/september12.html

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Are there any pickup games for 13A on Roll20? Where would be the best place to look for one?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Where's the new Tales adventure, Wade? :argh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So, of the fan-made classes in the OP and/or on the Vault, which ones are actually worth looking at and suggesting to my players?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

So, of the fan-made classes in the OP and/or on the Vault, which ones are actually worth looking at and suggesting to my players?

Stalwart, Lurker and Elementalist are probably the ones I've had the most success with. Stalwart is probably a bit on the OP side, but it's nothing that should scare you off. I've had to design things a little differently is all, since they took the feat that lets them lift ungodly amounts.

Edit: Any of the vault classes by Ryven Cedrylle I trust to at least be mathematically functional sight unseen and have fit well for my games. I personally strongly dislike the Diablo-based classes, but that may not be universal.

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

S.J. posted:

Of the ones that haven't been mentioned yet, Vanguard is pretty great, Eldritch Knight is coll but a bit weird to wrap your head around at first, and the Defender is my personal favorite class, though it's technically unfinished. Really just needs to be given Paladin Defenses and it's good to go, though.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

CaptCommy posted:

Edit: Any of the vault classes by Ryven Cedrylle I trust to at least be mathematically functional sight unseen and have fit well for my games. I personally strongly dislike the Diablo-based classes, but that may not be universal.

That made my day. Thanks!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Have they started shipping the Kickstarter editions of 13 True Ways yet? Its strange that I haven't heard anything since the email asking for my shirt size over 3 weeks ago...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Have they started shipping the Kickstarter editions of 13 True Ways yet? Its strange that I haven't heard anything since the email asking for my shirt size over 3 weeks ago...

Yeah, they were sent out about a week before GenCon.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I still haven't gotten mine (East Coast). Was going to mail Pelgrane if doesn't come today.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I emailed Pelgrane earlier this week. They said they shipped mine Aug. 8, but to wait until the 25th before asking for a replacement. I'm kinda loathe ordering from them in the future because I'm so used to shipping transparency that not having something like a tracking number feels weird and wrong to me. In San Francisco Bay Area, for reference.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I guess I'm not that worried because I went in for the fancy Leatherbound edition, but I agree, it'd be real nice if they could provide a tracking number or something.

Maybe next time I'll just wait for the book to be on Amazon after a few months and order it there, it seems to be cheaper too.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Where's the new Tales adventure, Wade? :argh:

Coming soon. ASH hoped to have it ready before he left for Gen Con, but it needed some additional work before it was ready to ship.

On a related note, we're hoping to get someone on board soon who'll help us run organized play, so ASH can focus on the adventures. That person will manage projects, maintain calendars, help us communicate better with OP GMs, groups and retailers, and coordinate our efforts better so I know what OP is doing and vice versa. Fingers crossed.

Mustache Ride posted:

That is strange, because we sent an update out to all backers on the 8th letting them know the books had shipped. The printer offered to ship them directly to people so they'd get the books as quickly as possible. Which was great! Except the printer inexplicably shipped them in padded envelopes instead of sturdy boxes so we're seeing some damaged books out there. If you get a damaged book we'll replace it for free.

PAX UPDATE: Pelgrane Press will have a booth at PAX! We're in the Motif hotel (formerly the Red Lion) sharing space with Moon Design, with whom we're partnering for the 13th Age in Glorantha project. All 5 13th Age books will be for sale, along with other Pelgrane games. We're not able to run tables at the show this year but we know several GMs are coming to PAX to run 13th Age in Free Play.

Apropos of nothing: on Sunday night at Gen Con I played a hotel room game of 13th Age where we rode the Archmage's titanic corpse into space, rammed the equally titanic corpse of a dead evil god, and fought our way through the god's rotting insides up to his brain so we could restore the world's stolen magic before the sun ate it. My wizard's One Unique Thing: "I am the illegitimate son of the Archmage and the Blue."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

waderockett posted:

Coming soon. ASH hoped to have it ready before he left for Gen Con, but it needed some additional work before it was ready to ship.

On a related note, we're hoping to get someone on board soon who'll help us run organized play, so ASH can focus on the adventures. That person will manage projects, maintain calendars, help us communicate better with OP GMs, groups and retailers, and coordinate our efforts better so I know what OP is doing and vice versa. Fingers crossed.

Related to this, I still haven't gotten my Organized Play stuff and I signed up several weeks ago? Did I do something wrong in the process? I guess this isn't really helpful but I'm trying to figure out what's up with it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Wade, why is ASH LAW written as ASH LAW and not Ash Law? Is he the literal embodiment of the tree legal system?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lenoon posted:

Wade, why is ASH LAW written as ASH LAW and not Ash Law? Is he the literal embodiment of the tree legal system?

Is ASH LAW a sovereign citizen or Freeman who only enters contracts under the guidelines of the UCC and the ancient principals of Maritime Law and Black Letter Law, who believes in the arcane potency of CAPITAL LETTERS?

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Related to this, I still haven't gotten my Organized Play stuff and I signed up several weeks ago? Did I do something wrong in the process? I guess this isn't really helpful but I'm trying to figure out what's up with it.

Did you sign up using this form? If you did, and you aren't seeing an email in your inbox or spam folder, you did all the right things and ASH is just behind in following up. Or you might get the email when the new adventure comes out, in which case an auto-response telling you what to expect would be good. Either way I'll nudge him.

lenoon posted:

Wade, why is ASH LAW written as ASH LAW and not Ash Law?

You'd have to ask his parents, SWORD LAW and SPELL LAW.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

waderockett posted:

Did you sign up using this form? If you did, and you aren't seeing an email in your inbox or spam folder, you did all the right things and ASH is just behind in following up. Or you might get the email when the new adventure comes out, in which case an auto-response telling you what to expect would be good. Either way I'll nudge him.

I used the wrong form I guess? The one I filled out was different.

I'll fill that one out.

EDIT: Yeah I just got an email from ASH LAW with the adventures

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 23, 2014

Serf
May 5, 2011

So I'm gonna be attempting to run a 13th Age one-shot again tomorrow, time will be around 7PM EST, though I'm flexible on that. Looking for 4-6 players, with 3rd-level pregens available, but feel free to bring your own 3rd-level character.

Your characters will be passengers on a ship crossing the Midland Sea, from Santa Cora to Shadowport, though none of you paid for your ticket. Everything seems to be normal until an abandoned ship drifts out of the thick morning fog...

If a little mystery on the seas sounds like your kinda thing, I can be reached through PMs or on synIRC at #13thAge, or you can drop me a line at tiredserf@gmail.com

Edit: Forgot to mention the game will be run through Roll20, and either Google Hangouts or Skype, whichever works for people best.

Serf fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 23, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Talents don't have to be huge things, they could just be encounter or daily powers with neat out of combat effects if you don't want them to radically change the other choices you make. Do not under any circumstances give your class the Druid's core mechanics.

Speaking of, would a decent fix for the druid be to ditch the two-tiered Talents altogether and just give them the Adept level on all their Talent picks?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Serf posted:

So I'm gonna be attempting to run a 13th Age one-shot again tomorrow, time will be around 7PM EST, though I'm flexible on that. Looking for 4-6 players, with 3rd-level pregens available, but feel free to bring your own 3rd-level character.

Your characters will be passengers on a ship crossing the Midland Sea, from Santa Cora to Shadowport, though none of you paid for your ticket. Everything seems to be normal until an abandoned ship drifts out of the thick morning fog...

If a little mystery on the seas sounds like your kinda thing, I can be reached through PMs or on synIRC at #13thAge, or you can drop me a line at tiredserf@gmail.com

How do you run these? Roll20/G+ or somethin different?

Serf
May 5, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

How do you run these? Roll20/G+ or somethin different?

Sorry, I edited the main post. Roll20 for sure, G+ Hangouts or Skype for voice, whichever people prefer.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

GimpInBlack posted:

Speaking of, would a decent fix for the druid be to ditch the two-tiered Talents altogether and just give them the Adept level on all their Talent picks?

Ehhh, that's a little too much. Just giving them the ranger's talent progression and some sort of druid-y class feature does a lot to help them. I gave my druid some cantrips based on (read: stolen from and modified slightly) the Vault Druid's cantrip feature. Here's the little writeup:

quote:

You gain several minor spells akin to the Wizard’s cantrips. Any druid serious about spell casting knows a set of litanies that are central to the tenant of druidic knowledge.

Each litany takes a standard action to cast. Most litanies provide short descriptions about what happens. Feel free to embellish upon these.

Create Water (Standard Action): This litany allows you to summon water sprites to create drinking water for you and your party. They can only make about a gallon of water at a time. This water shouldn’t be used for nefarious purposes such as drowning, but perhaps a blight druid wouldn’t think twice about using nature against those who are unnatural.

Goodberry: This litany can only be used once per encounter, and allows you to gather a bundle of goodberries from the secret places in nature only the druids know of. These berries are about the size of a cherry and heal 1d4 HP and take a standard action to eat one. You only can carry 10 good berries at a time at the adventurer tier.
At the Champion tier you can hold 15 goodberries.
At epic tier you can hold 25 goodberries.

Mend This Litany summons a variety of tiny magical sprites who swarm over a chosen broken object attempting to mend it (over the course of 1–6 rounds). Small-scale repairs like torn wineskins, muddy clothing, a broken handgrip on a sword, and similar repairs that anyone could fix with two to four hours of devoted work gets handled in seconds. More elaborate repairs to complicated objects might require a wisdom check, or at the GM’s
discretion.

Light (standard duration):
This litany creates a fairly wide and consistent field of light, up to 30 feet in diameter. Usually the druid gathers strands of sunlight or moonlight and wrap it around a stick or other object. The created light isn’t bright enough to dazzle anyone.

Purify Food and Drunk (standard action):
This litany removes any small poison from food and drink. The GM determines if the poison can be removed, but most standard poisons can be dispelled without harm. The druid can use this litany once more to verify if the poison has or has not been removed successfully.

Know Direction (standard action): Druids are very keen on knowing a particular direction in the world they live in. A quick look to the sky’s stars or sun will reveal this unless the sky is obscured in some form. If they sky is blocked the druid could commune with nature, but the results are much less accurate .

Read/Write Nature (standard action): This litany allows you to read any marking that others have left behind. Many druids weave elaborate messages into ivy and other vines for those who know the language of nature. This litany allows you to write messages for others to read as well.

Spark: This is a minor fire creation spell, enough to light a pipe, or a campfire, or even a page or two of an unprotected spell book. It doesn’t work against living beings or against things that couldn’t easily be set on fire with a few seconds of steady application of a candle. It’s a show-off spell—druids don’t have to light fires like ordinary people.

We never got a chance to fully test it (he decided to switch characters until we hit Champion and he has 4 talents) but I think it gives druids an alright core that they were missing.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Ehhh, that's a little too much. Just giving them the ranger's talent progression and some sort of druid-y class feature does a lot to help them.

Yeah, thought it might be. I'm just now actually reading 13th Age, despite having preordered and backed the True Ways Kickstarter, so I'm still getting a feel for the system's balance points.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I gave my druid some cantrips based on (read: stolen from and modified slightly) the Vault Druid's cantrip feature. Here's the little writeup:

We never got a chance to fully test it (he decided to switch characters until we hit Champion and he has 4 talents) but I think it gives druids an alright core that they were missing.

Those seem pretty cool, yeah.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I was the druid Rae's talking about and I think my biggest issue with the druid is Wild Healer. Putting one talent in it gives you like nothing. And putting two talents is one too many for being able to heal.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I'm slooowly putting all my custom monsters into a standard format and altering/adding flavor to make them more generally applicable. The ongoing effort is indexed here.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm slooowly putting all my custom monsters into a standard format and altering/adding flavor to make them more generally applicable. The ongoing effort is indexed here.

Thanks! This is going to be an awesome resource; I've always found your monsters really unique, and well thought-out.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

lenoon posted:

You might also ask Stan! the same question.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

waderockett posted:

You'd have to ask his parents, SWORD LAW and SPELL LAW.
A good reply. :golfclap:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
After looking at the Cloak of Shelter in 13TW, I have devised similar powerful items in the same vein.

Gloves of Holding: A magical item that allows you to pick up things slightly warmer or colder than normal!
Amulet of Families: A mysterious artifact that looks pretty and maybe lets you store a small painting of your family!
Boots of Walking: A mystical object that protects your feet as long as you don't walk on abnormal surfaces!
Pointy Sword: A wondrous weapon capable of cutting through skin, some muscle, and many different clothes!
Shield of Blocking: A marvelous piece of armor capable of blocking any blow you can reach it to as long as your arms have enough strength!
Wand of Magic: This horrendous(ly powerful) little stick is capable of having magic put through it!
Symbol of Holiness: This stupendous trinket will maybe gleam a little if you pray really loudly to your god!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
To be fair the Cloak of Shelter does grant a default bonus to PD, it's just boring as hell otherwise.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
But what are the Quirks.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jackard posted:

But what are the Quirks.

You like to pick things up.
You like to look gaudy.
You like to walk.
You like to stab.
You like to block.
You like magic.
You pray.

I always did say that brevity is the soul of wit.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously a magic item rich in adventure hooks! Observe:

1) The Gran Magus (legally distinct from Grand Magus, which is a term of art in Horizon and making false claims to it gets you a visit from Archmage's Law Squad) Norf is sick of people joking all over his magnificent Cloaks of Shelter, and has hired a desperate team of adventurers to wear the cloaks and go on a staged "adventure" into a "goblin den" while loudly proclaiming how warm, dry, and comfortable they are at all times. All this while being followed by an idiot clown of a journalist doing the soft-ballest puffiest piece imaginable. Unfortunately it turns out that actual goblin bandits are capable of easily conquering a lovely fake dungeon staffed by civilized actor goblins, and soon the party is in REAL DANGER.

2) For the Feast of the Top Twelve Winter Gods (there's stiff competition among churches for the choicest feast days) The Priestess has commissioned parties from all over to gather the ingredients she needs to prepare a Cloak of Shelter for every single displaced person and indigent in the Empire. The party has been tasked with collecting the slime from the Dire Hagfish of The Fangs, for which the Hagfish must be alive and it takes a standard action. Also Dire Hagfish live with and are virtually identical to Dire Lampreys, to the point that even trained ichthyologists have trouble distinguishing them even on the dissecting table. Note: start in media res, and try to disguise as best you can that the quest reward is a Cloak of Shelter for every PC.

3) You get a Cloak of Shelter in the mail as your inheritance from a distant relative, and it seems really crappy until it gets some blood spilled on it during your normal adventuring day and it undergoes a brief MYSTERIOUS TRANSFORMATION and bestows on you a BURST OF POWER. Now it is your quest to spill the blood of greater and greater monsters on it until you unlock its TRUE FORM and discover the secret of your inheritance (your "deceased relative" is actually a shape-shifting vampire lying low after being slain and you're bringing it back to life good job hero; the vampire is still actually your relative though).

4) This Cloak of Shelter is not a Cloak of Shelter at all, and is instead a 'Croak' of 'Gimme' Shelter, worn on stage by a famous Bullywug bard. Not any more interesting mechanically than a Cloak of Shelter though, except the quirk is that you no longer achieve satisfaction from what once gave you pleasure. Do you sell it to a collector for a high price, or donate it to the band's museum in Glitterhaegen where it belongs? Or maybe you wear it anyway and form a tribute band.

5) This Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloaker of Shelter, or maybe some legally distinct cloak-like monster if that's not OGL, but it doesn't want to eat you and is content to amble on in amicable symbiosis. The reason you stay warm while wearing it is because of the cloaker's body heat. If an attack misses your PD by one, its because the cloaker took that hit for you. Be properly thankful!

6) This Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloak of the Smelter, and instead of making you comfortable in normal environments makes you comfortable WHEN BEING SPRAYED WITH MOLTEN METAL. It's normally used by trainee dwarven blacksmiths until their skin achieves the proper leathery-ness, at which point they're fine going without. If you find it outside of the possession of a trainee blacksmith, that means that some dwarf failed to graduate. Are they haunted (or maybe you're the haunted one, if you got it off a corpse) by the failure, or did they ditch training out of rebellion and wanting to be a painter? If so, why do they still have it?

7) This Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloak of Shellder. You should put it back, it doesn't belong in this game.

8) This Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloak of the Melter. 1/day as a standard action you can turn into a mobile puddle of slime capable of sliding through holes as small as a dime. You look incredibly disturbing, like someone unwrapped the textures from your normal form and just applied them willy-nilly to the slime model. You cannot attack while a slime and keep your normal HP and defenses. You stay a slime as long as you want and can turn back as a free action as long as you can reasonable fit into the space you're in. Quirk: You become convinced that your facial features aren't where they're supposed to be, whether it's true or not.

9) There must be a good one for Cloak of Helter Skelter but I'm not seeing it right now.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

9) There must be a good one for Cloak of Helter Skelter but I'm not seeing it right now.

It's a very nice cloak and all but the person it belonged to originally is quite insane and has put an enchantment on it to notify him if someone wears it. Expect a visit from his "family" soon.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got done paging through the Bestiary. This thing is fantastic.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

9 alternate) This cursed Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloak of "Shelter? I 'ardly know 'er!" and it's bowtie clasp will not come undone no matter how much you nervously tug at it and say "Tough crowd tonight, eh?" In order to gain the bonus to PD until the start of your next turn, when you roll initiative and at the start of every turn you must tell a crappy joke. If you make most of the players groan, you instead gain +2 to PD.

10) This Cloak of Shelter is actually a Cloak of the Elder and you gain +1 relationship dice with the oldest Icon you have a relationship with (relative ages of the Icons varies by campaign, work it out with your DM). Quirk: lots of "back in my day..." stories which predate your actual day, often by several ages

10a) This Cloak of the Elder is actually a Cloak of the Alder, recharge 16+ when hit by a ranged attack against AC or PD you take half damage and teleport to a nearby location you can see, leaving behind a freshly cut log of alder where you were. Quirk: You become maximally anime, whatever that means to your group

10aa) This Cloak of the Alder is actually a Cloak of the Alderman. When you forcefully give someone an order and tell them it's city business, they'll believe you for at least a moment. Note: this only works if you're actually in a city. Quirk: You expect people to care about civic government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Lifehack Weapon: Recharge power (11+) On a successful hit using this weapon, the user gains HP equal to half the damage dealt. Quirk: Constantly inventing and popularizing pointless organizational techniques.