Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It sounds like drums. Has anyone ever tried making music in doom with a custom map and maybe some scripting? Like those automatic Mario stages that were popular a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Duke Nukem War of Attrition is so fun, even with just going through the original campaign again. But anyone know what the deal is with these black boxes?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Looks like either a missing sprite, or your card doesn't support some opengl feature if you're using eduke32.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'd check the log at startup, because that's a sign the game's missing some resources.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I like watching the minimap crawl like an anthill :stare:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't believe you actually did it. :allears:

Oh right, I totally forgot the Pain Elemental spawns three enemies on death. That basically guarantees Pain Elemental-mageddon, right there.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Now run it on NUTS.WAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhhbgX8Sq4

Not the same wad, but Fractal Doom is still the same concept.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TerminusEst13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhhbgX8Sq4

Not the same wad, but Fractal Doom is still the same concept.

Funny you mention it. I just dug this mod up again and it's as funny as it always was. The author made an expansion wad that changes the Wolfenstein SS into...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0ZyZXCHPI

:godwinning:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Funny you mention it. I just dug this mod up again and it's as funny as it always was. The author made an expansion wad that changes the Wolfenstein SS into...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0ZyZXCHPI

:godwinning:
I just caught that the mini-Robohitlers have sped up Angry German Kid voice clips.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
DoomRL had agony elementals which would then split into pain elementals when they died, which was a fun surprise the first time you fought one.

Does the DoomRL mod for Doom proper add in the new enemies, or just the weapons?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jblade posted:

I'd check the log at startup, because that's a sign the game's missing some resources.

Odd, the log doesn't show any errors. Maybe my integrated Intel card is missing a feature.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Geight posted:

Does the DoomRL mod for Doom proper add in the new enemies, or just the weapons?

There's a mod for each.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Am I missing something or is the documentation for DoomRPG kind of scant? I'm not getting the HUD for DoomRL (Do I need it though?) and I'm just kind of confused in general about the mechanics of either.

Oblige is surprisingly great though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I just started playing Doom RPG as well and I have hardly a clue how it works. You kinda pick it up as you go along but it desperately needs some documentation.

What I still don't know is, what the hell is an Assassination mission? It just says "target: Arch-Vile" or something along those lines, but clearly it's not just any old Arch-Vile.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

Am I missing something or is the documentation for DoomRPG kind of scant? I'm not getting the HUD for DoomRL (Do I need it though?) and I'm just kind of confused in general about the mechanics of either.

Yeah, you kinda need the DoomRL HUD if you want to keep track of the assemblies you know without consulting the wiki. Plus there are some (like the Shredder Pistol or the Mother In Law) that are unique to DoomRL, so the Assemblies list is the only place you can find out about 'em aside from just randomly chucking the mods on weapons.

DoomRPG has a handy launcher, though! So you just unpack the launcher into your (G)ZDoom directory, the DoomRPG stuff into a subdirectory called DoomRPG, and just chuck any other .wads (DoomRL Arsenal, the HUD, the Monster Pack, any map .wads you might want to play with it, etc.) in with the DoomRPG stuff. Then, you boot up the launcher, define the folder locations:

and everything should appear in the Mods/Patches tab, like this

You check what you want to play, any applicable patches, and you're good to go. You're gonna have to bind the keys for the HUD and the functions the mod adds in the controls menu, too.

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah, I still have no fuckin' idea how stims or shields work and I'm in the middle of my second playthrough. e: I am an idiot and you just have to bind keys to them :negative:

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 19, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
How stims work is that you need both the actual needles and vials to put in them. It's a temporary buff. You can craft a needle to have any combination of vials; some just give you stat buffs and others give you miscellaneous powers. I don't think it contributes much to the game, and I don't use them because the needles themselves are super rare.

Shields work like they do in Borderlands, in that they have three attributes: capacity, recharge rate, and delay between when you take damage and when you start recharging. There are four components. The required pieces are the body, capacitor and battery, which determine the attributes, and there's also a slot for accessories that give you special modifiers. Shields are super duper important once you hit even the middle levels, because when you're taking 50 damage per Chaingunner pellet or 100+ from Lost Souls, armor does absolutely nothing and you need to have a cushion of 500+ shields.

e: oh you clarified while I wrote that up :(

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It took me like 20 minutes to realize that GZDoom comes with its own reload keybinding. True to the RL heritage, there's a shitload of keybindings to remember between RPG and Arsenal. Has anyone figured out an intuitive scheme?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of GZDoom, people with AMD hardware might be interested in checking out whether future versions of GZDoom will run on their system or not.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Duke Nukem War of Attrition is so fun, even with just going through the original campaign again. But anyone know what the deal is with these black boxes?

That means it's trying to display something it doesn't have the sprites for, and specifically (in the case of WoA) means you're playing it with 3d models turned off -- I think it doesn't have sprites for some of the gibs.

This is kind of annoying because turning 3d models on completely fucks my framerate when beam weapons are being used, but turning them off results in those black boxes and has alignment issues with the beam weapon sprites.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of GZDoom, people with AMD hardware might be interested in checking out whether future versions of GZDoom will run on their system or not.

Runs fine on my HD 5850. Ran some Project MSX, which is actually pretty fun. Do you guys have any recommended WADs for playing w/ MSX?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Levelsets that are really hi-tech would work fine. Equinox and Vrack are mandatory.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

apophenium posted:

Runs fine on my HD 5850. Ran some Project MSX, which is actually pretty fun. Do you guys have any recommended WADs for playing w/ MSX?

Back To Saturn X is probably the most-recommended WAD that you can play with MSX, and there's another episode of it allegedly coming out at the end of August!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

TerminusEst13 posted:

Levelsets that are really hi-tech would work fine. Equinox and Vrack are mandatory.

I loving HATE Vrack. I don't remember which one of the series it was, but in one of them there was literally a maze with a nukage floor and walls that were short enough that you should have been able to just go over them (but you couldn't) and then when you finally get to the key in the middle or whatever, the walls open up all along the ceiling on all four sides of the room and there's like fifty revenants behind each one. I can think of no bigger "gently caress you" in the entirety of the maps that I've played.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What's the general consensus on the Marathon games?

I've tried playing Marathon 1 & 2 a couple of times before (via AlephOne), but for whatever reason, I've never been able to get into it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Max Wilco posted:

I've tried playing Marathon 1 & 2 a couple of times before (via AlephOne), but for whatever reason, I've never been able to get into it.

I may be a little biased, but trust me when I say they're the greatest games ever.

:colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I really like the whole series, though Marathon 1 is obviously the weakest one in the group.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I hold Marathon 2 up with the original Doom, and the first one is pretty great as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

In terms of plot, writing, and level design, they own bones and hold up much better than just about any other 2.5D FPS. There's also a wide selection of really seriously good fan-made campaigns. Strongly, strongly recommended, with one caveat...

...in terms of technology, Aleph One is still kind of poo poo compared to gzDoom or eDuke32; the mouse controls are weird in a way that's hard to describe but really aggravating, the renderer is still 2.5D (shear pitch with hard degree limits), and you can't save except at save points. And the developers are openly hostile to any efforts to fix this.

They're awesome games and the new high res packs are drat pretty, but the engine containing them still shows its age.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ehhhhh. Marathon is slow and corridor-y. If that's your jam, fair enough, but I don't think they hold up better than other 2.5D FPSs of the same era.

e: I should specify that I'm referring to the first one. I didn't enjoy it and never bothered with the second.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd put the Marathons after Dooms, Duke, and Blood but they're still pretty good.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

In terms of plot, writing, and level design, they own bones and hold up much better than just about any other 2.5D FPS. There's also a wide selection of really seriously good fan-made campaigns. Strongly, strongly recommended, with one caveat...

...in terms of technology, Aleph One is still kind of poo poo compared to gzDoom or eDuke32; the mouse controls are weird in a way that's hard to describe but really aggravating, the renderer is still 2.5D (shear pitch with hard degree limits), and you can't save except at save points. And the developers are openly hostile to any efforts to fix this.

They're awesome games and the new high res packs are drat pretty, but the engine containing them still shows its age.

Most of that is because the Aleph One guys just want to port the games to modern systems, they don't care about changing anything. Gzdoom and eDuke32 intend to expand the engine to be more than just Doom or Duke Nukem. Also try turning off Vsync, I used to have awful mouse controls until I disabled that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It was weird seeing everyone talking about how sucky Doom 2 is a couple of pages ago, when I got my first computer in 1997 the first game I got to play was a floppy disk version of Doom 2 that I borrowed from someone. I didn't play the first Doom until a few years later and it seemed a pretty big step down compared to Doom 2, I've always assumed the consensus was that Doom 2 was all around better because I'd never really heard anyone compare the two before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think that mostly comes from decades of nitpicking. Doom 2 starts out REALLY strong but then the later levels start to kind of fall apart. Gameplay wise I think it's great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

I may be a little biased, but trust me when I say they're the greatest games ever.

:colbert:

There is no bias when discussing the indisputable greatness of the Marathon Trilogy. I love them.

They don't really stack up to Doom though, especially when factoring in post-source port community, but they're super great anyway.

It is safe to skip the first game though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ToxicFrog posted:

I noticed the aiming thing when I was playing. Following on what Elliotw2 said, I turned off V-Sync, and that helped.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Marathon 1 is the only game that has level music? The only music that plays in Durandal & Infinity is the title theme.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

They replaced the in-game music with ambient sound. I know by today's logic that doesn't exactly parse, but that's the actual answer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you really have trouble with the mouse look you can be super pro and play with the keyboard, a thing I totally did online in M:I and was good at.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Dropping in a neither-Doom-nor-Marathon comment: I went back to revisit the Wrack beta for a bit, and he's nicely tackled one of the earlier shortcomings, the feel of weapon shots and hits. I enjoyed blasting through the first few maps again. Unless my memory is playing tricks, he's also added some subtle lighting and shader improvements to help give the visuals more depth and solidity.

One particular way in which it diverges from its Doom inspirations is in the map design. I've mentioned before that I'm kind of sad that it doesn't have a 2D automap, because that definitely influences the design, but at least it appears to be playing to its strengths. It's really a full-jets-ahead arcade shooter rather than a map crawl. The kill-chain system encourages that too (for me, not because of score bonuses, but because it makes boop-boop noises and I gotta have the boop boops). The maps do a good job of pulling you along the correct path using door unlocks and monster spawns -- which does fall apart a bit if you have to backtrack because you fell off a bridge or went to find a secret or whatever, but oh well.

If you've already got Wrack in your library, give it another look. Not sure when the final release will be.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

It is safe to skip the first game though.

But the first game has all the best terminals! The lore dumps, the Durandal monologues, Gheritt White for pete's sake!

At least read the first game :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

They replaced the in-game music with ambient sound. I know by today's logic that doesn't exactly parse, but that's the actual answer.

I think it's probably because they wanted the game to be slower and moodier than most of its contemporaries (Doom and Duke primarily, I'd think), so rather than having music you can jam out to, they went more for atmosphere-building with the ambient noises and so forth. It works in a way, because even good-looking stuff like Hellbound is a completely silent and emotionless void aside from the heavy metal music blasting around. On the flip side, Marathon 1 is definitely the slowest-paced game of the bunch but because of the music it feels more energetic than Durandal, which is much much more action-oriented.

And technologically-speaking, I don't think you could have had both a soundtrack and objects generating noises everywhere without a performance hit, but that's speculation on my part.