Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe this is just observer bias but it feels like medium sized fighters armed with spears have been highly effective but perhaps that's just been a common build. There's been some very successful "big guy with a hammer" builds too. Shields feel as though they are a lot better than I remember with even a plain oak shield being a multiple lifesaver.

I guess "hide behind something and stab the other guy from where he can't stab you back" is a time-honoured path to success.

Well, there was that one guy who stabbed his opponent in the heart with a spear and still lost. Also, shield material only matters for shield bashing, so the oak shield performs just as well as a steel shield in terms of blocking attacks.

And probably the biggest path to success in fights like these is "don't get ganged up on by fighters who are bigger than you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Astus posted:

Well, there was that one guy who stabbed his opponent in the heart with a spear and still lost. Also, shield material only matters for shield bashing, so the oak shield performs just as well as a steel shield in terms of blocking attacks.

And probably the biggest path to success in fights like these is "don't get ganged up on by fighters who are bigger than you".

My test with 12 fights between a team of 3 steel dagger gremlins with appropriate skills and a team 3 standard silver hammer minotaur builds resulted in 4 dead gremlins and a fuckton of prime steak. Also, there was a hilarious number of minotaurs charging the same gremlin and running into each other when it inevitably dodges out of the way. They never see the other guy coming.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

My test with 12 fights between a team of 3 steel dagger gremlins with appropriate skills and a team 3 standard silver hammer minotaur builds resulted in 4 dead gremlins and a fuckton of prime steak. Also, there was a hilarious number of minotaurs charging the same gremlin and running into each other when it inevitably dodges out of the way. They never see the other guy coming.

Now give the minotaurs copper/silver armor.

Any kind of armor fucks little guys bigtime, but pointy weapons are a must for the little guys.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

Now give the minotaurs copper/silver armor.

Any kind of armor fucks little guys bigtime, but pointy weapons are a must for the little guys.

Full bronze armor = bunch of dead minotaurs, with a couple of extra dead gremlins. Stabs penetrate really drat good, and it's a big loving dagger.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Edit: I forgot, little guys get a lot more points.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: I forgot, little guys get a lot more points.

Points which they immediately waste on biting.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
It's cool, when we inevitably win the next match and move onto the next round, you can buy your stranglette some lovely steel dentures, and you'll be good to go.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Nibbles isn't useless! Hooray! :unsmith:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Points which they immediately waste on biting.

I hope the bite of death happens that I saw in the pre-start testing I did after you mentioned it. It's hilarious, the strangler can bite a drat Yeti around the waist through copper armor and cause so much pain it's instant-blackout for the Yeti. If that happens, it's no waste of points!

Edit: someone run the next fights unless your dude is in them!

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 20, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Feel free to be that someone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

If that happens, it's no waste of points!

Love bit someone's teeth off. Life or death, that counts as a win to me.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

Nibbles isn't useless! Hooray! :unsmith:

Yay I did something, too! :hf:

E: I am the Scotty Pippen of the Cave Pals Friend Squad. I never get any kills, but I get all the assists.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 20, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Feel free to be that someone.

Can't run them till Thursday. drat real life :(

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Can't run them till Thursday. drat real life :(

Augh! The suspense!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I'd run it myself, but it's my own team.

You still out there, Zee?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bene Elim posted:

I'd run it myself, but it's my own team.

You still out there, Zee?

I am almost done rebuilding this laptop for a customer. I can prob run it on this laptop tonight if I get drunk enough work up the effort. Hate laptop keyboards for renaming and typing all that poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Customer: What is this dwarf fortress and how did it get on my computer?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Customer: What is this dwarf fortress and how did it get on my computer?

Oh, don't delete that, I need those images!

Trying to find the download now for that version on the site, then will run it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren:Round 2, Match 6 maybe?:siren::siren:

Typing on laptop, so this will not be as brackety with italics/bold and poo poo. Sorry all.

On the left side we have Meat and Two Veg. The fighters are: Treeloved, Compost Day, and Onan. Two elves managed by Bene Elim and Ramc. Onan is the human managed by Afriscipio.

On the right are the Platinum Helms. Urist McTantrum is a dwarf managed by my dad. Mikorin is an elf managed by Tarezax, and Sister Abigail is an antwoman managed by Frozen_Flame.

The fighters line up and then charge toward the center of the arena, each team meeting in a line in the center of the arena. The human Onan makes first contact, causing a bruise on the Dwarf Urist McTantrum! Compost Day swings at Urist McTantrum as well, but cannot get through the steel boots.

I have already completely lost what elf is what. They did circles and are now all mixed up. God damnit.

I missed a screenshot of this next bit, but then again it all happened within 5 game-turns. It was insane.

Urist McTantrum shrugs off the swings leveled at him and swings back, nearly taking off Treeloved's foot! Treeloved goes down swinging. Mikorin cuts off the downed elf's weapon hand at the same time Urist McTantrum takes off Treeloved's head! That might be the fastest death we've seen so far. Urist McTantrum takes the first kill.

Compost Day swings at Urist McTantrum, screaming with rage. Urist McTantrum parries while Sister Abigail attacks Onan from behind and slices his leg wide open, sending him the arena floor! At the same time Urist McTantrum retaliates against Compost Day and almost severs HIS foot too. Urist McTantrum apparently hates feet, holy loving poo poo. Compost Day goes down.

So if you look at that screenshot, you have two players down at the exact same time, and one elf already dead. If we do a quick count we have 3 players on the Platinum Helms still standing and 1 dead elf and 2 downed fighters for Meat and Two Veg. Hang on, I've got to go place a bet real quick.

Within seconds Mikorin and Urist McTantrum dice into the downed fighters. Sister Abigail is the only fighter that doesn't want to torment them and stabs Onan in the head, killing him. That's a kill for Sister Abigail. Mikorin cuts off a foot, then slices Compost Day's head clean off a moment later.

That was the single most lopsided fight I've ever seen. Even in my random testing before we started I never saw anything even close to that. I think we've found our winning team, that was just brutal and efficient.

Each player gets one kill for the Platinum Helms while Meat and Two Veg should be ashamed of themselves.

Combat Log

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Solid Poopsnake posted:

E: I am the Scotty Pippen of the Cave Pals Friend Squad. I never get any kills, but I get all the assists.

Compost Day hears that!

:hf:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

Compost Day hears that!

:hf:

E: Also oh dang we got rolled. That is some bad luck there.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That was a crazy and short fight. Just looking at the macros I would not have expected that at all. I thought we might be looking at our first 3-2 match in all honesty.

Someone else can run the next few, I'm gone most of the day tomorrow too. Hope I didnt gently caress this up somehow, laptops really suck for typing and screenshots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bets for the next two matches as they stand:

The Ugly Ones 4,731 Art, Politics and other Bull 4,772
The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo 2,259 Small and Mighty 502

The first match looks like its even for favourites, while Small and Mighty are definitely the underdogs in the second.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Well I guess if everyone is good with their weapons, once things roll they roll fast. On the upside... uh... I like our odds of us beating the Mites and the Helms beating the Cave Pals to ensure our 2nd place?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We'll see how well platinum helms stand up to teeth!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

In all my testing I never saw Treeloved butchered like that :psydwarf:

Downloading macros now. Going to run the next two fights today.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
The combat log has this gem which made me laugh;

quote:

Sister Abigail_Helms: Death... The horror consumes me!
Urist McTantrum_Helms: Death... This is truly horrifying.
Compost Day_Meat: Gruesome wounds! This doesn't scare me.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Frozen_flame posted:

Compost Day_Meat: Gruesome wounds! This doesn't scare me.
It's because he's biodegradable! :ssh:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren: Round 2: Match 7 - The Ugly Ones .v. Art, Politics and Other Bull :siren:

BRONZESTABBED, Sankis Memorial Arena - A viciously bloody pummeling in this match of little vs large!

The gong sounds and battle-cries echo as all six gladiators charge into each other. Mammarian the molemarian, Prancer III the minotaur and Van Winkle the troll (Managed by Synthorange, astus and Goodchild) tower over two thirds of their oponents, but Durm und Strangler the Strangler, Moocules the Minotaur and American President the Serpent Man (Managed by AJ_Impy, Tesla Cola and Scrree) are unintimidated, charging in for the first blow.

Moocules is quickly ganged up on by Van Winkle and Prancer. The minotaur's dagger chips bone in his foot to bring him town, the troll's tusk destroys his hand and sends him unconscious and Prancer drives the killing blow past Moocules' iron helm.

Meanwhile, Durm und Strangler and American President are tearing into Mammarian. Scourge and spear tear into molemarian flesh, crippling and removing limbs. Unfeeling, Mammarian keeps swinging, distracting Durm and President and letting his team-mates sneak up from behind.

Prancer jabs for President's head, narrowly missing the serpent's skull. Not wanting to take any chances, he follows up with a near amputating slash to the arm, and a devastating charge that sends American President sprawling one way, and his guts another. Prancer mercifully decapitates the snake for his second kill.

Van Winkle's sneak attack on Durm misses, and the strangler is able to shatter the troll's foot with his scourge. Far from toppled, Van charges Durm knocking him to the floor, stunned. Two arms are quickly removed, leaving Durm chance for one last attack before he bleeds to death.

The Ugly Ones are denied a perfect victory, as Mammarian bled to death moments before Durm, the kill being awarded to American President

The Ugly Ones take a decisive 3-1 victory over Art, Politics and Other Bull!
The Ugly ones will advance to the playoffs after a show match with Small and Mighty, while Art Politics and Other Bull's fate rests on a deciding match wit The Good, the Bad and The Bravo.

Kills - Prancer:2, Van Winkle:1, American President:1

VV Whoops! Knew I'd forget something. Combat log is there. VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 20, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ah well. I was worried we might get stuck on the Molemarian, and so it proved to be.

Edit: Combat log is here.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 20, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Dangit! I was so sure that Art, Politics and Other Bull would pull this one off!

At least there's no real chance to lose my money on The Good, The Bad, and the Bravo...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bury me with my animeeees

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I go away for four days and return to see Onan and pals brutally slaughtered. Where did we go wrong?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Afriscipio posted:

I go away for four days and return to see Onan and pals brutally slaughtered. Where did we go wrong?

You messed with us. :smug:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So far the only bet I've lost was when I bet on my own team to aim for long odds. I'm kind of regretting being rather conservative with my bets.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I was on top of the world, and now I am penniless, destined to a life in the gutter with naught but memories of greatness to torment me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got richer. Game must be broken.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren: Round 2: Match 8 - The Good, The Bad and The Bravo .v. Small and Mighty :siren:

BRONZESTABBED, Ugathville Fightin' Pit - Quick kills keep things interesting in this close-fought contest!

Small and Mighty kick this match off with a bolt; Zwinglette the Kobold archer, flanked by Fast'n Loose the Kobold and Mayor of Nilbog the Golbin (Managed by Zwingley, HerpicleOmnicron5 and Dungeon Ecology) open fire towards GBB who charge forward to retaliate, Willow Rawhide the Goblin, Johnny Bravo the Human and Urist the Boring the Dwarf (Managed by Ablative, Silverminnow and Haystack) surging to the middle of the arena.

Zwinglette's first bolt flies wide of Willow and the melee fighters pair up in the middle. Mayor of Nilbog wastes no time against Urist the Boring. His first swing smashes Urist's shoulder into an unrecognizable mass, causing Urist to collapse in pain. Three strikes to the head later, the dwarf is no more, and Mayor moves to help his team-mate

Fast'n Loose needs the help. Willow's first lash fractured Fast's skull, and the kobold has been able to do little more than dodge since. Mayor makes an immediate impression on Willow's foot, fracturing it and bringing to goblin down. It's too late for Fast'n Loose though; Johnny cracks his skull again before Willow tears it off with her scourge.

Zwinglette's second bolt flies out and clatters uselessly against Johnny's shield as an enraged Mayor starts his revenge against Willow, but can only inflict bruises until he finds an unprotected finger. Willow gives in to pain and, despite Johnny's best efforts to distract him, Mayor crushes Willow's head in two neat swings.

Johnny and the murderous Mayor face off, neither able to find a gap in the other's defense, until Johnny charges and bowls the Goblin backwards. Even on his back Mayor of Nilbog puts up a good fight, but he can't delay the inevitable. His ankle is shattered and as he screams in pain, Johnny brings down a mighty blow, turning the goblin's head into paste before casually bringing his shield up to counter Zwinglette's third bolt.

Past experience tells us that the writing is now on the wall. Johnny closes on the Kobold, smashes the bow from her hands and tears her spinal column with a vicious body blow. Now the human shows what a sadist he is. Hammer blows, sheild strikes, kicks, punches, scratches, gouges and bites rain down on the still conscious kobold, who still tries in vain to fight back. Johnny eventually grows bored and caves Zwinglette's chest in with his hammer to end the fight.

The Good, the Bad and the Bravo take a close victory over Small and Mighty 3-2!
Small and mighty are, sadly, eliminated, but will return for a show match with The Ugly Ones. The Good, the Bad and the Bravo will play Art Politics and Other Bull for the final playoff place.

Kills - Willow Rawhide:1, Mayor of Nilbog:2, Johnny Bravo:2

Combat Log Recommended reading for Johnny's treatment of Zwinglette

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 20, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Holy poo poo, Mayor. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Holy crap that was closer than I could have imagined! Wow! What a fight!

Also... phew... I almost lost a lot of Dwarfbucks on an upset there.

• Locked thread