Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Lid posted:

NSW: The Right Wing Fucks Everything And Everyone.

I think thats going on the new number plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pensioners? You mean the people who get reduced copayments on PBS medicine precisely because they can't afford it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Who will be the first to operate a rental service for virtual offices in the CBD, so that 'businesses' can apply to get a vote? Look we run important operations out of our 1mm x 1mm office space, we ought to get a say as to who should run the council...

Surely this plan is unconstitutional on a fundamental level, even if someone is voting on behalf of a business. Someone, somewhere is making the decision as to which party the business is voting for, and as a result is able to vote twice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They're unlikely to be voting twice in the City of Sydney local government elections though.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Tokamak posted:

Who will be the first to operate a rental service for virtual offices in the CBD, so that 'businesses' can apply to get a vote? Look we run important operations out of our 1mm x 1mm office space, we ought to get a say as to who should run the council...

Surely this plan is unconstitutional on a fundamental level, even if someone is voting on behalf of a business. Someone, somewhere is making the decision as to which party the business is voting for, and as a result is able to vote twice.

Depends on the the legislation which relates to local council elections. And possibly the NSW constitution.

e: ooh, I've finally lost the newbie avatar.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 20, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

On phone but god drat

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/why-exempt-pensioners-from-copayment-pm-20140820-3dzqw.html

Tony Abbott has given a strong signal his government won't exempt pensioners from its planned $7 GP co-payment.

The prime minister argued pensioners were not exempt from making a co-payment on taxpayer-subsidised medicines.

"Why should they be exempted from the Medicare co-payment?" he told Fairfax Radio on Wednesday.

Who are you expecting to vote for you?!

LNP doubling down on pure nastiness to nearly everyone bar.... well I don't know who they haven't pissed off. Business community, IPA, Muslims, youth, pensioners (aged or otherwise), working families, people who live in the outer suburbs, universities, hell the list just keeps on growing.

Hopefully Hockey will continually remind us about his "poor people don't drive" gently caress up

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

You Am I posted:

LNP doubling down on pure nastiness to nearly everyone bar.... well I don't know who they haven't pissed off.

The only way this could get even better is if Joe Hockey pissed off Nickelback somehow.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

LNP doubling down on pure nastiness to nearly everyone bar.... well I don't know who they haven't pissed off. Business community, IPA, Muslims, youth, pensioners (aged or otherwise), working families, people who live in the outer suburbs, universities, hell the list just keeps on growing.

Hopefully Hockey will continually remind us about his "poor people don't drive" gently caress up

Nice av ;)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bifauxnen posted:

The only way this could get even better is if Joe Hockey pissed off Nickelback somehow.

He confuses them with Theory of a Deadman, cites this as his favourite song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UfnAOcBirAs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-20/mortgage-broker-malcolm-royce-jones-submissions/5683362

quote:

A mortgage broker used new clients' money to help existing clients who were struggling to make repayments after the Global Financial Crisis (GFC) hit, an Adelaide court has been told. Malcolm Royce Jones, 52, has admitted to attempted deception and faking a signature on a $170,000 mortgage document. He is to be sentenced next month, but prosecutor Peter Longson said more charges were expected. Mr Longson said Jones took part in more than week of police interviews, in which he admitted a range of offences. Defence lawyer Andrew Moffa described Jones as a "hardworking, Christian father of three" who just wanted to keep all his clients happy.

When some investors were not meeting their mortgage payments on properties, Mr Moffa said Jones used money from new investors to make those payments, essentially giving some of his clients a "payments holiday". He said in the matter being prosecuted, Jones secured a first mortgage in the name of someone who had no idea about the arrangement and falsified their signature. "He has been, in a sense, a really good guy all his life, he has wanted to please people and do the right thing," he said. "[He was] not a 'yes' man, but probably heading towards that category." A lot of the borrowers were not paying their mortgage payments to the lenders, so [Jones] robbed Peter to pay Paul.

Mr Moffa said Jones worked for a major bank for 20 years before joining Eastern Equity in 1998. He said Jones got on well with his clients, but the GFC took a toll and some property investors stopped servicing their loans. "A lot of the borrowers were not paying their mortgage payments to the lenders, so [Jones] robbed Peter to pay Paul," he told the court. Mr Moffa said Jones kept hoping the market would improve but "rather than being a short-term blip ... it got worse and worse". "Rather than try to be a friend to everybody ... he should have stood back and let the GFC cause its havoc to both sets of clients." He said the benefit to Jones from his actions had been getting his broking fees for the work done.

But the housing market can only go up, up, up. We have seasoned professionals from the banking/investment sector eating up the rhetoric.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

He confuses them with Theory of a Deadman, cites this as his favourite song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UfnAOcBirAs

9 seconds in and that song is clearly poo poo. Hockey blows.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Orkin Mang posted:

9 seconds in and that song is clearly poo poo. Hockey blows.

Was my idea for how to piss off Nickelback/everyone.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Lid posted:

Was my idea for how to piss off Nickelback/everyone.

Holy poo poo, he has a face more punchable than Bolt's.

:frogout:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mithranderp posted:

Depends on the the legislation which relates to local council elections. And possibly the NSW constitution.

e: ooh, I've finally lost the newbie avatar.

They replaced the Stupid Newbie avatar (as well as the probation kitty), apparently. I'm still seeing the baby, so I dunno.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hit F5 and it should change.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shift+F5 to force a refresh.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

Hit F5 and it should change.

Violence is never the answer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Turns out Abbott isn't even any good at being a blue blooded snob

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott's Canberra and Sydney wine cellars have been lambasted as tragic, bewildering, pedestrian and a little on the cheap side at a time when Australia advertises itself as a world-leading restaurant.

Public servants from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet say Mr Abbott has had access to more than 170 bottles worth $4700 for official functions he can offer the nation's most prestigious and powerful visitors.

Melbourne wine critic Jeremy Oliver lampooned the selections by saying stores at Kirribilli House, The Lodge and another 61 bottles held by PM&C's Canberra headquarters in the Andrew Fisher building looked as if they were curated by someone "planted" by the anti-alcohol lobby.

James Halliday says the government's list covers many regions and varieties without fear or favour.
James Halliday says the government's list covers many regions and varieties without fear or favour. Photo: Graham Tidy
"I’m a patriotic Australian and these lists sadden me," said Mr Oliver, an industry critic for 30 years and author of an Australian wine guide written for the nation's fastest-growing export market, China.

"With only a little effort we could do so much better and give our leaders a chance to wow their guests."

His view differed from those of fellow industry observer and 2015 Australian Wine Companion author James Halliday who said the list was a breath of fresh air and covered many regions and varieties without fear or favour.

Tourism Australia is using food and wine to attract international visitors to the country as part of its Restaurant Australia campaign. The wine sector was trying shake off an economic hangover after a recent grape glut and a high Australian dollar pushing down export volumes and Mr Oliver said he struggled to find wines on the list that showed where the Australian industry was heading.

The most expensive in Mr Abbott's cellars in the latest list published in the past month and dated May 31 – nine bottles of the Canberra Federation Red Magnum 2000 at $86.36 each – was described by Mr Oliver as a dud, which was "sadly listed in volume".

"This wine, which was sadly produced with federal support, never lived up to its billing, or even close to its billing," he said.

The cheapest were five bottles of $12.89 Yarrabank Vintage Cuvee 2004.

The average cost of a bottle from Mr Abbott's cellars was about $26. Prime Ministers have previously attempted to show world leaders the best of an Australian industry now boasting more than 2400 wineries, but because taxpayers' money is involved it can be a sensitive topic. A furore erupted in 2001 when dozens of cases of up-market wine chosen by a wine consultant went missing on John Howard's watch.

Mr Oliver said the wines at The Lodge this year were "a random assortment that ranges between the embarrassing, the more than acceptable, the tragic and the bewildering".

"Poor vintages of reasonable wines are more than adequately represented. There are far too many poorly chosen reds from the 2011 vintage."

He described the Kirribilli House cellar as pedestrian but praised the "delicious" Petaluma Merlot 2004.

"The only Riesling listed is from Margaret River, where it should be classified as a weed. There are far too many 2011 reds and only two wines of genuine excellence in the ILR Semillons from Brokenwood. There is enough good wine here for a small lunch.

"And why our PM should be forced to foist upon high-level guests such wines as tired and faded rosés, moscatos, flabby old Chardonnays such as the Petaluma 2007, I’ll never understand."

The Prime Minister's wine list was compiled by PM&C in response to a question on notice published in the past month. PM&C said Mr Abbott had not used a wine consultant.

Canberra District Wine Industry Association President John Leyshon said all of Mr Abbott's wines were great Australian drops but added the average price of those chosen could have been higher.

Mr Leyshon also said it was a disgrace that just seven bottles – less than 3 per cent of the cellar – came from the Canberra district, and offered to consult with the Prime Minister.

"If it were my cellar, I would also include some wines from Orange, Mudgee, Hilltops and one or two of the smaller areas of NSW," Mr Leyshon said.

"There are some outstanding wines coming from these regions now."

Prime Minister's Dining Room cellar (The Lodge) as at May 31, 2014

1x $19.90 Grant Burge Pinot Noir Chardonnay Barossa Valley

3x $36.80 Arras Brut Elite sparkling Tasmania

2x $24.50 Mount Horrocks Riesling 2005

1x $14.50 Miranda Golden Botrytis 2002

3 x $18.45 Kalleske Shiraz VP 2007 Barossa Valley

4 x $15.90 Scarborough Late Harvest Semillon 2008

1 x $14.17 O’Leary Walker Sauvignon Blanc 2008

1 x $18.90 Cape Mentelle Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2012

2 x $20.23 Devil’s Lair ‘The Hidden Cave’ Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2012

1 x $34.54 Moorilla Muse Chardonnay (TAS) 2011

2 x $33.63 Shaw and Smith M3 Chardonnay 2012

1 x $31.72 Devil’s Lair Margaret River Chardonnay 2011

1 x $33.62 Devil’s Lair Margaret River Chardonnay 2012

1 x $34.99 Petalumla Chardonnay 2013 Piccadilly Valley

5 x $34.19 Penfolds Bin 311 Chardonnay 2013 Tumbarumba

1 x $22.71 Parish of Gruyere Chardonnay Yarra Valley 2013

2 x $11.75 Canberra Federation Red 2000 (1998 Cabernet Franc)

9 x $86.36 Canberra Federation Red Magnum 2000 (1999 Cabernet and Shiraz blend – Centenary of Federation 1901-2001)

5 x $18.18 Charles Melton Rose of Virginia 2008

8 x $17.81 Charles Melton Rose of Virginia 2009

1 x $12.64 Schobers Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

1 x $32.00 Ten Minutes By Tractor Pinot Noir 2011

2 x $34.20 Ben Glaetzer Bishop Shiraz 2012

1 x $40.39 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalima Shiraz 2004

1 x $31.80 St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz Barossa 2011

1 x $30.59 Clonakilla 2012 Hilltops Shiraz

3 x $29.08 Majella Coonawarra 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon

5 x $25.44 Jack Reidy Clonakilla 2013 Shiraz

7 x $27.26 Penfolds Bin 138 Shiraz, Grenache, Mataro 2012

76 bottles at The Lodge costing $2437.27

Prime Minister's cellar - Kirribilli House

14 x $18.18 Croser Non-Vintage

1 x $13.99 Innocent Bystander Moscato 2010

1 x $22.72 Scarborough Late Harvest Semillon 2008

4 x $20.90 Cookoothama Botrytis Semillon 2008

2 x $14.51 Sandalford Margaret River Riesling 2002

2 x $31.81 Brokenwood ILR Semillon 2004

2 x $30.32 Brokenwood ILR Semillon 2005

11 x $22.08 Scarborough Yellow label Chardonnay 2011

8 x $19.70 Voyager Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2012

3 x $12.88 Ninth Island Sauvignon Blanc 2012

4 x $23.48 Toolangi Chardonnay 2010

9 x $27.27 Toolangi Denton Chardonnay 2009

1 x $16.72 Ninth Island Pinot Noir 2011

9 x $18.17 Victoria Park Pinot Noir 2011

2 x $28.35 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 2011

5 x $13.63 Fox Gordon 8 Uncles Shiraz 2011

5 x $25.00 Toolangi Pinot Noir 2011

3 x $10 Johnny Q Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

8 x $13.63 Dandelion Vineyards Fleurieu Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

4 x $25.45 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 2012

2 x $27.26 St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz 2011

3 x $25.45Toolangi Estate Shiraz 2008

6 x $29.08 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2011

95 bottles at $2282.87

Kirribilli House – Ceremonial and Hospitality Branch

3 x $34.51 Croser 1998

4 x $33.97 Petaluma Chardonnay 2007

4 x $43.11Petaluma Merlot 2004

3 x $33.72 Turkey Flats Shiraz 2006

14 bottles costing $513.01

Andrew Fisher Building – Ceremonial and Hospitality Branch

3 x $28.05 Yarrabank Vintage Cuvee 2005

2 x $26.15 Yarrabank Vintage Cuvee 2006

5 x $12.89 Yarrabank Vintage Cuvee 2004

7 x $20.99 Two Hands Brilliant Disguise Moscato 2009 Barossa Valley SA

3 x $29.08 Margan Botrytis 2008 Botrytis Semillon Basket Pressed Hunter Valley NSW

5 x $23.54 Shaw and Smith M3 Chardonnay 2008 Adelaide Hills SA

6 x $24.17Franklin Estate Riesling 2002 WA

2 x $25.45 Seppelt Drumborg Riesling 2009 VIC

2 x $41.99 Cullen Sauvignon Blanc 2009 Margaret River WA

1 x $27.26 Clonakilla Viognier 2006 Canberra District ACT

5 x $14.54Penfolds Bin 311 Chardonnay 2008 Tumbarumba Adelaide Hills SA

Penfolds Thomas Hyland Chardonnay 2010 Cool

11 x $24.80 Climate Adelaide Hills SA

5 x $13.99 Wedge Tail Estate Pinot Noir 2005

2 x $16.32 Pirramimma Stocks Hill Shiraz 2006 McLaren Vale

2 x $15.88 Brands Laira Cabernet Merlot 2009 Coonawarra

61 bottles at $1339.78

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gay picnic defence posted:

Turns out Abbott isn't even any good at being a blue blooded snob

Tony's one good feature - he enjoys sensibly priced wine.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
University of Adelaide on lock down in preparation for Abbotts visit https://www.facebook.com/onditmagazine/posts/10152628445217390

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Endman posted:

Tony's one good feature - he enjoys sensibly priced wine.
Yeah, I'm not exactly annoyed that he doesn't spend a heap of money on wine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks, with the larger file size limit I can finally have the av I wanted originally

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

You Am I posted:

Thanks, with the larger file size limit I can finally have the av I wanted originally

It's a pretty great eyeroll. Who was talking while she did that?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's a pretty great eyeroll. Who was talking while she did that?
Brandis.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Andrew Bolt trigger warning:

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/tony-this-budget-farce-has-gone-on-too-long/story-fni0ffxg-1227031149287

Ab; dr - the narrative: drop the budget Tony because you wont get it past the wackos in Labor, Greens and PUP and if you did everyone wouldn't thank you for it. The right conceding they've lost the budget battle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Honestly "don't loving do or say anything remotely controversial or unpopular" is some of his better advice to Abbott.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Tokamak posted:

Nope. Local government isn't mentioned anywhere in the constitution, so its existence is entirely based in state legislation, even how it's voted for.

It's why a bunch of councils use private electoral companies for their elections. There's nothing stopping them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

The right conceding they've lost the budget battle.

Ah finally they realized they need new stuff to blame on Labor :allears:

quote:

Get the picture? These guys just love saying no. They’ll keep saying no.

Karma works!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Wine snobs are the worst snobs, especially considering that science has demonstrated that wine experts are simply making poo poo up

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Haters Objector posted:

Wine snobs are the worst snobs, especially considering that science has demonstrated that wine experts are simply making poo poo up

Yeah, someone linked "proof" of this before, but the study read like a load of poo poo. I didn't buy it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
gently caress wine.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Haters Objector posted:

The only opinion that Auspol will all agree on.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
welp wrong thread, was bound to happen

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

science has demonstrated that wine experts are simply making poo poo up

Lmao, thanks science *chugs out of a goon sack*

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who says 'wine experts are just making poo poo up' seriously is obviously a loving idiot but yes, wine wankers are the worst wankers besides maybe scotch wankers

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just realised this is d&d; please anyone who wants to fight me about this meet me behind the sports sheds (gbs) in 10 minutes

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Haters Objector posted:

As someone who works in the wine industry and has done for many years, you don't even need to be an expert to make that poo poo up. Also wine snobs are f**king insufferable.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I like red.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Half the fun of drinking or eating ANYTHING at a level higher than 'put this into my body as quickly as possible please' is just 'making poo poo up' and it's cute to see people think they've uncovered some masterful wine conspiracy when they find this out, but nope, it just turns out that's just how human beings express their reactions to subjective sensations and describe them to others

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I love a good red with a nice steak.

The point about tasting wines is that you get hints of different flavours, you don't literally drink a red and go "RASPBERRY EARTH HAZELNUT AND FIGS"
You drink it and get hints of taste memories. You should go to a few tastings if you think it is all made up they are pretty interesting.

i got banned fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread