Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, it would be even more awesome if the guy bought the $35k truck to tow the $50k boat he bought the previous weekend, right?

Amateur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

I've gotten in the habit of looking at over sized trucks that are clearly not used for work and saying "That truck cost him one hundred thousand dollars" based on the additional costs he's (it's always a guy) likely to incur over a 10 year lifespan of the vehicle. Last time I needed a big truck for some random hauling, I rented it for $80 with unlimited miles.

I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised at the fuel efficiency of about 25mpg. So it might not be as bad as I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I knew a guy who bought a ~60k Harvey Davidson limited edition pick up truck (I wanna day it was a ford?)

Leather interior, the whole shebang. Mind you the guy could definitely afford the payments, but he was home about 160 days out of the year. The rest of the time he'd be on site for months on end.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Trucks are dumb. I saw a stretch pickup truck last month when I was riding my motorcycle to the store and I almost fell off the drat thing I was laughing so hard.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
My mother has owned two trucks, one was a 1977 Ford Lariat (with the gearshift on the steering column!) and that finally died. She then bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado Heavy Duty 2600, extended bed and full cab. That drat truck was nearly almost 10 feet long. Then again, we owned a farm and we used it to haul hundreds of bales of hay, horse trailers, and actually used it for farm work in the fields (hauling tools, tractors, etc).

So not so much being bad with money as it was being good with money by having it used every weekend for actual work, but the bad with money part came from us driving it around town (driving to the Tractor Supply, Home Depot, etc don't count, I'm talking about my mother taking that truck to work five days a week). It got 13 MPG.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

When will Ford and Mini collaborate on the ultimate BFC-inspired F-150 / Mini Cooper crossover we've all been waiting for? There's clearly a market for it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Will there ever be such a thing as a cost effective electric car?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
"Ever" is a really long-rear end time, so the answer is yes.

Folly
May 26, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

My mother has owned two trucks, one was a 1977 Ford Lariat (with the gearshift on the steering column!) and that finally died. She then bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado Heavy Duty 2600, extended bed and full cab. That drat truck was nearly almost 10 feet long. Then again, we owned a farm and we used it to haul hundreds of bales of hay, horse trailers, and actually used it for farm work in the fields (hauling tools, tractors, etc).

So not so much being bad with money as it was being good with money by having it used every weekend for actual work, but the bad with money part came from us driving it around town (driving to the Tractor Supply, Home Depot, etc don't count, I'm talking about my mother taking that truck to work five days a week). It got 13 MPG.

I love seeing Section 179 used appropriately. It was a really annoying excuse to buy Hummers about 10 years ago. http://www.section179.org/section_179_vehicle_deductions.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpelledBackwards posted:

When will Ford and Mini collaborate on the ultimate BFC-inspired F-150 / Mini Cooper crossover we've all been waiting for? There's clearly a market for it.

Mini Cooper with a towing hitch, cart sold separately.

Money please!

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I like smaller pickups like the Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado. Although I won't get one because I have no use for a pickup.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

melon cat posted:

Many years back, I used to work some entry-level position that paid about ~$35K. A lot of my co-workers who earned the same amount of money as I did drove leased/financed Audis and Bimmers because they thought it made them look like bigshot bankers. One of them even bought a Cadillac CTS. And when it was lunch time they'd buy a coffee for lunch because it was all that they could afford.

Their car purchasing decisions were 100% about their image. It was ludicrous. And to make things worse they were all young, dumb drivers with terrible driving records, which meant that their insurance was sky-high to begin with.

I agree these are ridiculous decisions, but at some point when enough people do it, we have to stop harping on *personal choices* and wonder if the system that drives people to make these horrible decisions is hosed. (and it is)

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

FrozenVent posted:

I knew a guy who bought a ~60k Harvey Davidson limited edition pick up truck (I wanna day it was a ford?)

Leather interior, the whole shebang. Mind you the guy could definitely afford the payments, but he was home about 160 days out of the year. The rest of the time he'd be on site for months on end.

I've seen a few of these. One in Yellowknife, the pickup truck capital of Canada. They are ridiculous.

One was owned by a guy who also worked away from home for long periods of time. Which makes it even more insane, for two reasons - obviously he's not home as much to enjoy the truck, but also by buying such a ridiculously expensive vehicle to own and operate - instead of saving that money - he's ensuring he'll never be able to live off of a salary that would be offered by the economy where he lives.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 19, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
On advice from one of their friends, my inlaws leased an SUV.
Why did they lease an SUV? Because this friend told them they could write it off as a business expense. They just need to "get a business license" and "you don't even have to turn a profit"

I guess that guy has been doing it for years, and uses his expensed vehicle to commute to his normal job at a normal office, which I'm 95% sure is tax un-legal.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My grandpa used to own a trucking business when he was younger and owning a pickup reminds him of driving his old trucks. Only he barely has use for one so he owned a Ford Ranger and when that got totalled, he bought a Chevy S-10. They're great little RWD cars and can haul furniture or extra groceries if need be, but for the most part, it just gets good gas mileage and reminds him of being younger

In Illinois, you get classified as a light truck, you pay out the rear end on gas and insurance, and your compensation machine rusts so fast that I've seen a late 00's super duty with rust holes through the bumper. I don't get owning a big, V8+ truck unless its necessary.....

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Tesla just made all of their patents public, so give it 5-10 years. Batteries are still going to be +$8k though

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

The best part is that I've worked closely with people for over a year and still didn't know what they drove. So plenty of people don't notice, and most of those who do probably don't care.
Same here, and I'm in a small enough workplace that you do learn people's cars. But I still get the "surely you want to upgrade to a fancier car, at least once your student loans are paid off?" chitchat when the subject of cars comes up. gently caress you, I'm happy in my cheap Kia.

(Although I suspect that part of those conversations is because I'm in a tiny car, since huge car=better in a lot of people's minds for whatever reason. And "safer", because your SUV is totally going to save you when you drive terribly on snowy roads. :rolleyes:)

At least I'm better off than the coworker who has three cars for two people. She and her husband both have the same model of SUV(as in, one each), and their third car is her former daily driver that she wrecked. Still drivable, but not pretty, so her husband uses it to haul tools and whatnot for his job. I asked them why they don't drop one of the SUVs, but it was handwaved away with "oh, it's convenient." :psyduck: And they don't want to drop the smashed-up car because they don't care if it gets dirty during the husband's work.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Haifisch posted:

(Although I suspect that part of those conversations is because I'm in a tiny car, since huge car=better in a lot of people's minds for whatever reason. And "safer", because your SUV is totally going to save you when you drive terribly on snowy roads. :rolleyes:)

It's probably because you're in a tiny Kia, they might be ok these days, but an older Rio is not something you want to crash in. I guess it's better than a cavalier.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Haifisch posted:

At least I'm better off than the coworker who has three cars for two people. She and her husband both have the same model of SUV(as in, one each), and their third car is her former daily driver that she wrecked. Still drivable, but not pretty, so her husband uses it to haul tools and whatnot for his job. I asked them why they don't drop one of the SUVs, but it was handwaved away with "oh, it's convenient." :psyduck: And they don't want to drop the smashed-up car because they don't care if it gets dirty during the husband's work.

My parents have that beat. Four vehicles for two people - an old beater sedan, a motor scooter, and two brand new leased SUVs. They both work ~10 miles away and don't really go places much outside of work. My dad insists on leasing cars despite the fact that he always ends up turning them in with like a third of the allotted mileage, it's unreal.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A few months ago, I saw someone with a fancy, heavily modded pickup truck with the bed full of furniture and stuff (moving apartments, it appeared). They had to take speed bumps & dips at about 1 mph because the ridiculous suspension wanted to launch everything out of the bed. I laughed heartily.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The Mitsubishi i-MiEV would be the current best contender for that, I think. All of the affordable EVs have the same problem though, the batteries required to get a decent range cost a fortune so they aren't usable as much more than a commuter car.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

sanchez posted:

It's probably because you're in a tiny Kia, they might be ok these days, but an older Rio is not something you want to crash in. I guess it's better than a cavalier.
Yeah, it's a newer Kia. I'd heard enough about the problems of older Kia models to avoid them back when I was car hunting.

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

My parents have that beat. Four vehicles for two people - an old beater sedan, a motor scooter, and two brand new leased SUVs. They both work ~10 miles away and don't really go places much outside of work. My dad insists on leasing cars despite the fact that he always ends up turning them in with like a third of the allotted mileage, it's unreal.
What's their reasoning for that? My best guess for their excuses: SUVs for showing off, scooter as a toy, beater for things they couldn't bear scuffing up their "real" cars for. They may not drive much, but they probably don't see it that way when rationalizing their vehicles. See also: people who insist on getting a pickup in case they need to haul poo poo around, and end up hauling things around once a year or less.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Heh.
My in-laws have four cars. 92 F150, old rear end lovely Galaxie, 10 Sonata and just bought a 14 Outback that they sold a Tribute to get. Mother in law works from home and only needs a car once in a blue moon for work.

But wait, there's more.
10 motorcycles. Only three run. The others are in permanent non running status because FIL can't afford to get parts to fix them up because every time he gets 2k together he gets another bike.

All of the excess vehicles are due to my FIL having the monetary habits of a four year old.

Good with money: MIL completely decoupled their finances and takes a monthly check from FIL. She's responsible and is on track for retirement, but they'd be hosed if FIL had access to the joint accounts.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, it's a newer Kia. I'd heard enough about the problems of older Kia models to avoid them back when I was car hunting.

What's their reasoning for that? My best guess for their excuses: SUVs for showing off, scooter as a toy, beater for things they couldn't bear scuffing up their "real" cars for. They may not drive much, but they probably don't see it that way when rationalizing their vehicles. See also: people who insist on getting a pickup in case they need to haul poo poo around, and end up hauling things around once a year or less.

My dad uses the scooter to commute to work when it's nice out and the beater when it's not. As far as the SUVs go, I honestly have no idea what they are thinking. They're just base-model, inexpensive crossovers, nothing fancy, so it's not really a status symbol thing. My mom uses one of them for her commute and the other just kind of sits there.

It gets worse: on the rare occasion they go on a long road trip, they pay to rent a car rather than using up some of the mileage on their leases.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Volmarias posted:

Mini Cooper with a towing hitch, cart sold separately.

Money please!

http://www.mnidomore.com/

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I suppose I am, in this case, bad with money - I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 as my daily commuter and don't have any need to haul anything. I was 21 when I bought it, 6'5" tall, and over 250 pounds at the time of purchase, so it was by far the most comfortable thing I'd driven. That said, I tried to make it a little less stupid:
  • I bought the smallest full-size truck I could get - standard cab, short bed, two wheel drive.
  • I bought it two years/32K miles used; it cost a quarter of my annual salary at the time and I paid it off well ahead of schedule.
  • My commute to work is 5 miles round trip, so even with the 13/17 MPG fuel economy, my gas budget isn't too bad.
And it's fully paid off now with only about 140K miles on it, so I don't intend to replace it until I've got enough saved up to buy my next car outright. When I do, I'm not planning to get another truck - I'm now down to 205 pounds and cars have become substantially more comfortable, though it'll still probably be a larger car with my height (I don't want to have a back seat if someone can't sit behind me in it).

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
My boss, who's also a good friend of mine and I train BJJ with just bought a Ford Raptor.

Thing costs him $200 bucks to fill up and it lasts him like a week just driving to/from work and gym.

Guy also built up a business from him, alone, in his basement to a 100+ employee, 10 million a year in revenue company in under 5 years, and is raising 4 kids, so I think driving is his only alone/relaxation time and he wants to do it in a ludicrous truck.

I don't think he's put anything in the bed of it yet though.

Edit: Hey neat the avatars changed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Raptor is loving boss as hell. You're not really supposed to carry anything - it's more a prerunner / serious high speed off road truck. Sure, it's kind of a bro truck but whatever, if you can afford it, go nuts.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Raptor is loving boss as hell. You're not really supposed to carry anything - it's more a prerunner / serious high speed off road truck. Sure, it's kind of a bro truck but whatever, if you can afford it, go nuts.

That's exactly my thought as well. He certainly can afford it and has the work ethic (and success to go along with it) like nobody I know.

Thing goes like stink too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I agree these are ridiculous decisions, but at some point when enough people do it, we have to stop harping on *personal choices* and wonder if the system that drives people to make these horrible decisions is hosed. (and it is)

A lot of it is psychology too. Tons of people are stuck in dead-end jobs where they get little or no raises or promotions for years. To feel like they are progressing in their career (and to give that impression to others), they spend whatever little money they manage to save to upgrade their cars every few years. And then, to avoid feeling guilty, they tell themselves that they "have been working really hard lately" and that they "earned it." Of course, it doesn't help that those sentiments are reinforced by friends and family.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

nickutz posted:

I like smaller pickups like the Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado. Although I won't get one because I have no use for a pickup.

I don't haul much. But living in a rural area it's enough of an annoyance to justify one. That's why I got a free Silverado 1500 from my inlaws business when they bought new work trucks. Can't beat that price. I doubt I will ever buy one new or even used one in the future when this one dies.

Folly
May 26, 2010

olylifter posted:

My boss, who's also a good friend of mine and I train BJJ with just bought a Ford Raptor.

Thing costs him $200 bucks to fill up and it lasts him like a week just driving to/from work and gym.

Guy also built up a business from him, alone, in his basement to a 100+ employee, 10 million a year in revenue company in under 5 years, and is raising 4 kids, so I think driving is his only alone/relaxation time and he wants to do it in a ludicrous truck.

I don't think he's put anything in the bed of it yet though.

Edit: Hey neat the avatars changed.

My car purchase budget is currently about 10% of my gross salary every 7 or 8 years. I'm pretty sure I'd scale that up. So I suppose if I made $500k a year, then I'd totally drive a relatively new luxury car. I think I'd classify non-working trucks as luxury. I probably wouldn't get a truck, but I can totally understand doing it if I were in that income range.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

sanchez posted:

I guess it's better than a cavalier.

I drive a previously-wrecked cavalier that no longer has airbags; I guess I'm bad with money because I keep driving this deathtrap instead of buying something better :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone else in favor a general moratorium on car/truck chat?

Another gem from the personalfinance subreddit:

quote:

I make about $1,480.00/month and have an acquired $9,000 in CC debt - $10,000 auto loan - $7,000 student loans which comes out to about $310 total for car loan + insurance - $520 for CC and med bills.

$830 of their $1480 take home just to service debt and drive. Yikes.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Barry posted:

Another gem from the personalfinance subreddit:

$830 of their $1480 take home just to service debt and drive. Yikes.

How much would that monthly net income be if it was expressed as yearly pretax income, roughly?

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
A little over $20k.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Barry posted:

I vote that anyone who mentions cars itt outside of a story about people bad with money has to watch this entire youtube video or get probated.

http://youtu.be/kzim1iYhmGA

To add to content: A buddy of mine got a DUI last year. He couldn't get his interlock off until he went to therapy, and he couldn't go to therapy because all his extra money went to the monthly interlock fees. Poor guy paid ~$80/month for months longer than he was legally required to before he was able to save up enough money to go to therapy and get the interlock removed. If he could have stopped buying weed, booze, MTG poo poo, and videogames (or just one of those things) for a couple of months he could have saved himself hundreds of dollars. That said, it's amazing how much a DUI can screw you over if you're poor or living paycheck to paycheck. :can:

E: Just so no one thinks I am defending driving drunk.

The Door Frame posted:

gently caress anyone who actually drinks and drives.

This is what I told my buddy.

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 20, 2014

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009
It always surprises me how cavalier people seem to be about DUIs. When I tell people I ride the bus when I know I'm going to be drinking to avoid getting one, they generally look at me like I've got three heads.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's almost like DUI fines and punishments are designed to make people less willing to drink and drive.

I don't have much sympathy for DUIs. You're an adult, you know you've been drinking, either don't drink or don't drive. The punishments suck. Potentially putting someone in a wheelchair or killing them is also bad.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I thought we said no more car chat? :v:

But to your point, people do the same thing when I tell them I'm riding the bus on my way to a hockey game. The terminal is across the street, and it saves me from having to park 2 cars when my wife is meeting me after her shift ends. Also, I get some exercise walking the mile to the stop.

I wish people would change the way they look at public transportation in this country.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 20, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

It always surprises me how cavalier people seem to be about DUIs. When I tell people I ride the bus when I know I'm going to be drinking to avoid getting one, they generally look at me like I've got three heads.

I like to make the Designated Drunk Driver joke, but gently caress anyone who actually drinks and drives.
There used to be a bar at the end of my block and it was one of the most popular in the area. I almost got run over by drunks more times than I can count.

Once they closed down, I talked to the guy who ran the kitchen and even though the owner was making a ton of money, he decided to stop paying the mortgage on the building for 6 months straight and the bank kicked them out

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Door Frame posted:

I like to make the Designated Drunk Driver joke, but gently caress anyone who actually drinks and drives.
There used to be a bar at the end of my block and it was one of the most popular in the area. I almost got run over by drunks more times than I can count.

Once they closed down, I talked to the guy who ran the kitchen and even though the owner was making a ton of money, he decided to stop paying the mortgage on the building for 6 months straight and the bank kicked them out

One story fulfilling both content for the thread and a response to the mini derail. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

silvergoose posted:

One story fulfilling both content for the thread and a response to the mini derail. Nice!

It can't all be Chief Keefs

quote:

The state’s attorney’s office filed a petition last month alleging that Cozart owed more than $10,000 in back child support.
The case is one of two pending child support cases against the rapper in Cook County.

He has since been busted for drug possession in Florida, disorderly conduct in Georgia, cited for driving more than 100 mph on the Edens Expressway and charged with DUI in Highland Park. He was evicted from his rented Highland Park mansion last month after falling about $30,000 behind in rent payments, court records show.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread