Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Contacts can be imported, probably through one of the google apps. Chats is another matter entirely.

iOS has been a walled garden, always has been, and it always will be. Trying to get Apple to change is about as likely as Steve Jobs coming to your front door and apologizing for the inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You don't need an app to import Google contacts. You just set up CardDAV with your Google account and it Just Works. Messages not so much but I'd be surprised if you can move iOS messages to Android or to or from Windows Phone, either.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're overthinking this. Contacts come in automatically when you sign into your Google account.

Most of my contacts crossed over without even thinking about it and that was great but some very important contacts didn't make the cut at all.

Old texts aren't really cross-platform compatible unless you use Google Voice/Hangouts/whatever Google messaging service of the year is.

So just deal with it?

xzzy posted:

Contacts can be imported, probably through one of the google apps. Chats is another matter entirely.

iOS has been a walled garden, always has been, and it always will be. Trying to get Apple to change is about as likely as Steve Jobs coming to your front door and apologizing for the inconvenience.

My friend gave me his old 4s and I'm coming from kind of a lovely android experience (Galaxy Nexus on Verizon) and am very open to iOS and the apple situation/ecosystem but this is extraordinarily offputting and kind of confirms all of the stereotypes that I'd thought were maybe unfair or outdated with regards to Apple.

I'm just stunned that there isn't an easier way to import contacts and texts from Android to iOS. I'd think that this would be one of the top priorities (at least from a business perspective) when trying to win people over from android to iOS.

IN SHORT:
I have a .vcf with all of my contacts and a .xml with all of my texts and I'm just not sure how to make the full transition from android to iOS, here. Am I going nuts? So much of what would have been an arduous hassle on Android was a smooth and cool breeze but this one and probably most important thing is hanging me up.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know that people normally expect to be able to carry their entire text message history across phones. Is that even a common expectation among Android users?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Backing up poo poo you're never gonna look at again is dumb. I was one of those morons once, I had like a decade of old AIM logs on my computer years after I stopped using AIM for anything. Then one day I was like this is stupid and deleted the lot of it and I have never once thought "gee wiz! wish I could go back and read all the nonsense I chatted as a teenager! :downs:"

Stop digital hoarding.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm just stunned that there isn't an easier way to import contacts ... from Android to iOS.
It should just work, I have no explanation why "some very important contacts didn't make the cut" unless they weren't being synced properly with Google on your Android device in the first place.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm just stunned that there isn't an easier way to import ... texts from Android to iOS
You are a corner case as most people don't even care about this.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
You can import vcf files to iCloud and/or gmail.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Depending on what people use texts for (business stuff), having easy access to the backlogs could be pretty important, as much as email history.
I mean if it's just chatting with friends yeah whatever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don't they have Android apps that back up text conversations to gmail or something? I remember doing that when I switched to using iPhones in 2011.

I've only ever bothered looking at those old texts when they show up as search suggestions in gmail's web interface. Never really needed or clicked on them though.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 19, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You you can just go to iCloud.com and import your contacts.

Or use gmail. http://www.ehow.com/how_12143087_import-vcf-iphone.html

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm just stunned that there isn't an easier way to import contacts and texts from Android to iOS. I'd think that this would be one of the top priorities (at least from a business perspective) when trying to win people over from android to iOS.

There is also no way to import texts from iOS to Android. Are you going to beat up Android over that?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Also not possible/requires a jailbreak

Many apps such as iExplorer and PhoneView can backup texts and do not require jailbreak, but that's only going from the phone to the computer

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CygnusTM posted:

There is also no way to import texts from iOS to Android. Are you going to beat up Android over that?

All the stories about Google are true! :qq:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nut Bunnies posted:

Many apps such as iExplorer and PhoneView can backup texts and do not require jailbreak, but that's only going from the phone to the computer

Yeah, but homie here wants to import texts from Android to iOS.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CygnusTM posted:

Either the htc or the samsung switch tool actually does import the texts messages from iOS.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Biodome posted:

Either the htc or the samsung switch tool actually does import the texts messages from iOS.

Great. Sperg enablers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

It should just work, I have no explanation why "some very important contacts didn't make the cut" unless they weren't being synced properly with Google on your Android device in the first place.

This is probably exactly the issue. Not being synced to Google is common, and only more common if your carrier or manufacturer (or, God help you, both) added Helpful Android Improvements™.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Can I gift an app that starts out as a free demo but uses IAP to buy more chapters?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Can I gift an app that starts out as a free demo but uses IAP to buy more chapters?

IAP cannot be gifted, afaik. You might be able to buy a gift card for the exact amount that the IAP costs, but that is the closest I can find. Actually, that's wrong, you can only get whole dollar amounts from $10 to $100. Or gift apps that cost money themselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cloudmagic is free today.

edit: Nevermind. According to the Android app thread, your exchange email goes through 3rd party servers. :barf:

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

As with e-mail, I regularly check old texts for work. I also checked my old text log a few days ago when I was trying to remember the name of a restaurant I ate at over a year ago. It's a nice thing to have and the file doesn't really take up much space so why not?

But this isn't about me and my spergish aspirations to be a digital horarder with my teenage aimchats. It's about a problem that I've since solved.
Kind of.

Basically the g-mail sync worked out great for my contacts.

As far as the texts are concerned it looks like there really is no solution (still kind of stunned at this) so I just e-mailed the old texts to myself so I can search through them that way when I need to.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Avian Pneumonia posted:

As with e-mail, I regularly check old texts for work. I also checked my old text log a few days ago when I was trying to remember the name of a restaurant I ate at over a year ago. It's a nice thing to have and the file doesn't really take up much space so why not?

But this isn't about me and my spergish aspirations to be a digital horarder with my teenage aimchats. It's about a problem that I've since solved.
Kind of.

As far as the texts are concerned it looks like there really is no solution (still kind of stunned at this) so I just e-mailed the old texts to myself so I can search through them that way when I need to.

Here, this claims to be a way to do what you want. Seems like a hassle though. And I've, of course, never tried it.

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-transfer-sms-from-android-phone-to-iphone/

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Is there a decent app to recommend healthcare providers? I noticed health grade app, it seems alright but I like some goon approval.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

(still kind of stunned at this)

This is putting a great picture in my mind's eye. A flustered goon holding their iPhone and just sputtering "Well, I never!" over and over again.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Kind of.

there are a ton of ways to export texts from android phones; considering how infrequently you'd end up looking at them i'd wager just having them on your computer or, as you've done, on your email account wouldn't be too much extra hassle

Josh Lyman posted:

Cloudmagic is free today.

edit: Nevermind. According to the Android app thread, your exchange email goes through 3rd party servers. :barf:

downloaded this cos i wanted to try it out but it was £7. pretty nice, i love the UI. might go back to the official gmail app though for the simple reason that it's the only one that does gmail properly

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 20, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ZoneManagement posted:

Is there a decent app to recommend healthcare providers? I noticed health grade app, it seems alright but I like some goon approval.

I dunno about an app, but ZocDoc is a website that is popular for this.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wow, did they gently caress up Comixology. The app itself is fine for reading comics, but the process of buying them is a huge pain in the rear end now. Not only do you need to into safari for buying the apps (which I get, just like kindle stuff), but for some dumb reason they don't allow you to save the password, so you have to type that in every time.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Any recommendations for an invoicing app?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you need old texts and have them in some exported form just dump them into a google doc and use drive on your iphone. Or put them in evernote or dropbox or whatever note/reference thing you want. I bet with a little tweaking you could get a nice .csv to import as a spreadsheet.

That would be more useful than having them as texts, since you could now search everything much more efficiently.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

If you need old texts and have them in some exported form just dump them into a google doc and use drive on your iphone. Or put them in evernote or dropbox or whatever note/reference thing you want. I bet with a little tweaking you could get a nice .csv to import as a spreadsheet.

That would be more useful than having them as texts, since you could now search everything much more efficiently.

This. iOS's messages app allows search amongst all messages but it doesn't let you search a single conversation/group chat, and the search-all functionality is mediocre at best.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

This is ultra-helpful and is what I've done. Thanks!

Also with regards to healthcare apps. I use lexicomp regularly (I'm an RN) but I'm not sure if that's the kind of app you're looking for.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Any recommendations for an invoicing app?

Invoice by Wave is pretty good if you're using their platform.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Does anyone know of an app that I can use to scan the ISBN of a book, and find out what it's used value is? Thanks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pretty sure amazon price check does that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is GoodReader still the go-to recommendation for PDFs? Just noticed its on sale for a buck.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
e: nevermind

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is GoodReader still the go-to recommendation for PDFs? Just noticed its on sale for a buck.

Yes buy it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

GoodReader is more of a file manager with a nice PDF viewing feature (text reflow.) But if you're gonna do regular PDF annotation, go buy PDFPen or PDF Expert.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Even for just reading, PDF Expert feels a million times better designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
GoodReader often feels overwhelming for mere PDF annotation. It has a ton of buttons that are a little esoteric and I end up just using Evernote's features imported from Skitch.

• Locked thread