Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Seconding the BP thing. I was in Nalins squad for like an hour and pulled out 36k crystite, an inventory full of items, and about 50 pvp tokens. You need 200-300ish for one of those fancy epics. Which makes it about a million times faster than trying to actually harvest the resources and build an epic yourself. Speaking of harvesting, it's not uncommon to find 20% or higher uranium fields, and the zone gives you free thumpers of all sizes to use assuming you can capture a base.

you get credit for poo poo your team is doing across the map, so the smart thing to do would get two big platoons just be constantly trading bases across the whole zone back and forth. Doing this could probably rake in tens of thousands of crystite per hour in addition to mass tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
You both left out the best part, free three man mgv complete with an unlimited ammo and no reload mannable chain gun in the rear!

Although passengers don't benefit from vehicle armor like the driver, so you are basically a huge target for anyone with aoe, but it is still fun none the less.

Also bring them grenades!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Apple Craft posted:

By the way, buy orders don't cost any fees and sellers notice them. Someone filled my 6k order for a Recluse frame and I saved 800 credits at the time. The order was filled in about 2 hours.

Yeah, found this out yesterday. For whatever reason it was in my mind that they cost a fee like the seller's fee. On that note: Yesterday Bastion frames were 5.9k on sell. I placed a buy order for all the Crystite Credits I had at the time (4003). I wake up this morning to find that the purchase was successful, so I've saved 1897 Crystite! Much rejoice.

Place Buy Orders often. Place Buy Orders -now-. Oh, and the Red Bean Exchange is down to 93,192 sell orders now. I imagine the number of sell orders will go up temporarily with the Red Bean sale/rewards/whatever, but then drop like a rock because all of the ARES 50% crystite buff last patch.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I couldn't get on last night because of patching problems and really wantto know if the increase in dynamic events means that strike teams are turning the Coral Forest red again. Bouncing between watchtowers was always so much fun and I am hoping they bring it back.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Bait and Swatch posted:

I couldn't get on last night because of patching problems and really wantto know if the increase in dynamic events means that strike teams are turning the Coral Forest red again. Bouncing between watchtowers was always so much fun and I am hoping they bring it back.

They're definitely more active but so is the general population. At any given time I see at least one watchtower being defended.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

EDIT: Seriously.
Looks like there's a typo in the Wasteland Forceful, Lv6 instead of 46, only 3 power rating.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

I will give you all the credits for that runspeed core

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Mistikman posted:

I will give you all the credits for that runspeed core
He's just screen-capping the voucher dealer, be careful though that core in particular has less health.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Supposedly they enabled drops on the boss in BWA. Has anyone checked that out?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

RocketSurgeon posted:

Yes, they nerfed drops on both Hardcore and normal to 1 per run. Also, you can apparently get a module as that 1, which is utter bullshit.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I pulled in over 60k crystite from BA last night, over 100k useless science, some great level 40 items, even a few rares I can use.

The events spawn so frequently that you can just treat it like a PVE zone and farm the things for tons of crystite and drops, except with the chance of a roving deathsquad coming out of nowhere and gunning you down. Plus the way rewards work, even if they gun you down you still get the XP for the event if they finish it for you.

Edit: Sweet, someone filled by buy order for the Omnidyne LGV for 10k credits! Now I'm zooming around the place in style.

Fina fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 20, 2014

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I've been playing this game on-and-off for a long time, and logged in like once since the "recent" change to leveling. There's a good chance this has already been asked, but I'm not really sure what to search for - does anyone know if Red5 fixed the bug with Firecats that let them glide forever using a combination of abilities (I remember afterburner was one of them)

I seriously hope not, because flying around everywhere was the best feature of the game, and I know they nerfed my precious gliderpad collection.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

inkmoth posted:

I've been playing this game on-and-off for a long time, and logged in like once since the "recent" change to leveling. There's a good chance this has already been asked, but I'm not really sure what to search for - does anyone know if Red5 fixed the bug with Firecats that let them glide forever using a combination of abilities (I remember afterburner was one of them)

I seriously hope not, because flying around everywhere was the best feature of the game, and I know they nerfed my precious gliderpad collection.
I don't know if you can glide forever now, but travelcats are still a thing.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Nalin posted:

I will have to look into those. Firefall is probably my favorite mmo to just wander around in.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Nalin posted:

You can get pretty dang close if it's not completely possible. but it requires pretty much all purples and all cooldown reduction.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

precedence posted:

You can get pretty dang close if it's not completely possible. but it requires pretty much all purples and all cooldown reduction.

That is somewhat unfortunate as in the past I never really liked playing as a firecat, and I assume I would need to grind them a bunch to be able to fit those modules with the new system, right?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

RocketSurgeon posted:

Ran it with Mistikman and some others after the patch, and all it dropped was a single module that none of us could use after bashing ourselves to pieces against the thing. There were a lot of folks asking to do BWA right after the patch, not seeing anyone doing it today.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

inkmoth posted:

That is somewhat unfortunate as in the past I never really liked playing as a firecat, and I assume I would need to grind them a bunch to be able to fit those modules with the new system, right?

yeah. It takes quite a bit of time to get decked out to be a travelcat and it means your actually ability to fight suffers.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

precedence posted:

yeah. It takes quite a bit of time to get decked out to be a travelcat and it means your actually ability to fight suffers.
I dunno, you should be able to get all purple abilities and modules by level 20 or so with a reasonable credit investment.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Mistikman posted:

Yes, they nerfed drops on both Hardcore and normal to 1 per run. Also, you can apparently get a module as that 1, which is utter bullshit.

I could just see someone at Red5 going, "We heard you guys were upset about having to fight over 3 items for your 5 man squad, so we fixed that for you."

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
How do you do things in broken peninsula? I went to it, but was stuck in spectate mode and couldn't spawn. Also the entire map was red. Is that what happens when one side "loses," or was it bugged?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

How do you do things in broken peninsula? I went to it, but was stuck in spectate mode and couldn't spawn. Also the entire map was red. Is that what happens when one side "loses," or was it bugged?

Same thing happened to me.

And Red5 blocked the boing addon now too?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boing is borked thanks to new security protocols put in this patch, and R5 has requested the creator cease as it was enabling disallowed behavior. Past that I have no idea - I play through Steam and have given up on trying to get the goddamn addons to work.

Also there's a bug with the Recluse's bio-crossbow alt fire not doing AOE damage on the initial shot. It's pretty rough trying to play as one at the moment but post-patch exp grows on trees so hey, level up another frame! I'm enjoying dreadnaught so far though I may switch to Assault as Firecat seems to mesh so well with Recluse, my one true love. Dat grind tho :/

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I picked up Dreadnought today to take advantage of the bonus XP and took it from 11 to 24. The XP changes are great, I started off at level 11 in Transhub and ventured north to Thump Dump to get to some level 11 stuff. I did all the random world missions on my way up there an gained 3 levels before I finished my trip, by the time I reached Thump Dump I was already out-leveling it.

I got to see a little bit of the new* content in Dredge, so maybe 25-35 won't be such a goddamn chore anymore.

*New as in it actually spawns now.

Epic High Five posted:

I play through Steam and have given up on trying to get the goddamn addons to work.

What part is giving you trouble? Are you trying to use the Melder program and it's crashing?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Epic High Five posted:

Boing is borked thanks to new security protocols put in this patch, and R5 has requested the creator cease as it was enabling disallowed behavior. Past that I have no idea - I play through Steam and have given up on trying to get the goddamn addons to work.

Also there's a bug with the Recluse's bio-crossbow alt fire not doing AOE damage on the initial shot. It's pretty rough trying to play as one at the moment but post-patch exp grows on trees so hey, level up another frame! I'm enjoying dreadnaught so far though I may switch to Assault as Firecat seems to mesh so well with Recluse, my one true love. Dat grind tho :/

Wasn't that just fixed in the patch before this? Man, that sucks, as I just picked up a recluse frame.

Also, RIP in peace, Boing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Disabling boing was stupid as gently caress, it was the only thing able to fix the respawn problems in the PvP zone. Now you have tons of people who can't get in at all, spawn inside walls, don't spawn at all or just crash all the time. There's just so much broken I have to wonder if they test their poo poo at all before pushing it live and also if so many people find ways to bypass the leveling path you have constructed to slightly reduce tedium and you can't see that they're not the problem but that leveling just sucks the way it's intended I don't even know what to say to that anymore.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Apple Craft posted:

Wasn't that just fixed in the patch before this? Man, that sucks, as I just picked up a recluse frame.

Also, RIP in peace, Boing.

Is "RIP in peace" a :airquote: thing :airquote:? RIP means "Rest in peace."

You are saying "Rest in peace in peace."

It hurts my brain.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Geburan posted:

Is "RIP in peace" a :airquote: thing :airquote:? RIP means "Rest in peace."

You are saying "Rest in peace in peace."

It hurts my brain.

:thejoke:
Are you irl autistic?

Also, RIP in pizza

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The thing that boggles me is that people bitched about leveling and then sat in the leveling tree in DT to max a bunch of frames. When that was fixed they started boing rushing OCT and bitched about that too. When they got all their frames maxed they bitched on the forums about having nothing to do. They found ways to exploit the game to bypass all the content and then blamed R5. It's a loving MMO.

MMOs are built to be about the journey and not the destination or else you wind up with MOREDOTS raid guild shitheads who think that fighting the same boss over and over again is supposed to be the only content worth doing.

If all these fuckers want to skip the journey and teleport to the destination, they'd better not bitch when the destination is Detroit. Why not just go play Counterstrike or something with no levels if they don't like actually playing the game?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Inimicul posted:

The thing that boggles me is that people bitched about leveling and then sat in the leveling tree in DT to max a bunch of frames. When that was fixed they started boing rushing OCT and bitched about that too. When they got all their frames maxed they bitched on the forums about having nothing to do. They found ways to exploit the game to bypass all the content and then blamed R5. It's a loving MMO.

MMOs are built to be about the journey and not the destination or else you wind up with MOREDOTS raid guild shitheads who think that fighting the same boss over and over again is supposed to be the only content worth doing.

If all these fuckers want to skip the journey and teleport to the destination, they'd better not bitch when the destination is Detroit. Why not just go play Counterstrike or something with no levels if they don't like actually playing the game?

Problem is MMOs really aren't built to be about the journey, unless you like trivially easy timesink journeys. People rush to endgame because, in MMOs, that's where the real gameplay actually starts happening. MMO players do the same raids over and over because the devs design them to be the only content worth doing. Not just in rewards, but in interesting, challenging, balanced gameplay. Of course, that's assuming the devs manage to do that at all. Problem in Firefall appears to be that the endgame isn't satisfying, either. I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet.

Problem in MMOs in general is failing to provide a fun leveling experience, that doesn't feel like a tax you pay to get to play the endgame. Firefall is especially bad here with how inane the job board system is. Far too much travel time, for little to no interesting gameplay.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

MMO players are dumb. They buy every one of them and hate themselves for doing it. Then when the game is found imperfect, it is declared as the Worst Game Ever and dropped. They marathon to max level immediately and decry the lack of content. You better give us something to do, but it better not be a grind, and don't even THINK about wanting money for providing this.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
BP poo poo itself for anyone else yesterday? There were a lot of people complaining they were stuck in spectator mode. Me? For some reason, and from what I could tell in zone, my fps capped out between 4-6fps, which made it basically unplayable.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

eth0.n posted:

Problem is MMOs really aren't built to be about the journey, unless you like trivially easy timesink journeys. People rush to endgame because, in MMOs, that's where the real gameplay actually starts happening. MMO players do the same raids over and over because the devs design them to be the only content worth doing. Not just in rewards, but in interesting, challenging, balanced gameplay. Of course, that's assuming the devs manage to do that at all. Problem in Firefall appears to be that the endgame isn't satisfying, either. I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet.

Problem in MMOs in general is failing to provide a fun leveling experience, that doesn't feel like a tax you pay to get to play the endgame. Firefall is especially bad here with how inane the job board system is. Far too much travel time, for little to no interesting gameplay.

Mmmmm... I wouldn't say Firefall necessarily "designed" it to be about the end-game content, but then again the "design" of Firefall has changed so many times it's hard to say. From all the stuff I've heard about Firefall over the years though, at one point or another it was intended to be about the journey like Inimicul said. That's why they invested in VO for the NPCs. They wanted to deliver to the players their wonderful narrative of this beautifully constructed world, so that they can get invested on a level beyond just mechanics...

Of course, whether Firefall actually achieved that is a completely another story ;). I've been going through all the Job Board missions (Currently at the ones in Tschemeshwhatever in Sertao) and it's been mostly hit or miss on the VO and script as I've said before. When it hits, It's decent. When it misses, it's pretty bad (They need to focus group their VOs as to whether "Would a player want to listen to this person more than 5 seconds?"). And the operator's personality seems to all over the place, depending on whatever the person writing the current script felt like doing with her. They breadcrumb the "plot" well enough.

Then there's the beautifully designed world to explore beyond that. You're given jetpacks and gliders, instead of just planes or whatever... and that seems to be for the purpose of enjoying the world they created by forcing you explore and navigate the terrain so that you might climb higher and see more of the world, not just from getting from Point A to Point B. And to be honest, if part of their business plan is to have you level multiple frames, they probably should try to make the "journey" memorable.

I don't know if this is a good business plan though, because the charm of a world tends to wear with time anyway, and that's why most MMOs concentrate on the end game being about players and their social structures with advancement relating to the end-game mechanics.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Inimicul posted:

I have said this, nearly verbatim, on many occassions in other games. And for any other MMO I would agree with this 100%, but Firefall's "journey" (the main story arc) currently ends at level 24 and the remaining 16 levels are filled only with repetitive gather/escort/shootman quests and random events. The same repetitive poo poo that you had to do for 24 levels to fill in the gaps between story missions becomes the only content left for nearly half the game, right now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm surprised no one has made an MMO yet with no levels, just endless raiding. Do the tutorial raid to get geared for the easy raids, do the easy raids to get geared for the medium raids, etc.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm surprised no one has made an MMO yet with no levels, just endless raiding. Do the tutorial raid to get geared for the easy raids, do the easy raids to get geared for the medium raids, etc.

I'll admit I never really figured out the controls as all my friends hated it, but isn't that basically the point of Monster Hunter? Slap 40 players in a zone and boom there's the game.

Granted I think MH is only like 4 player so well, it still doesn't exist.

Edit for firefall content:

Logged in for the first time yesterday and bought a battle frame station on the market, dreams of beta achieved.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

eth0.n posted:

I don't agree even a little bit. Can you name a game where end game raiding was actually interesting, or at least more entertaining than the rest of the gameplay leading up to it?

Raiding boils down to two things. Other people and dancing.

The bosses have a huge HP pool so you have to bring other people to help do their part. Maybe their part is to take numbers from the boss, maybe their part is to add number back to the player. The other players is the only variable here. Raid boss mechanics are so well documented within the first week of their release that anyone fighting them is expected to know their part like it's a high school musical. The only variables you see is when xMainHealerGirlx goes AFK to piss right before the raid starts or DarthTankenstein suddenly goes offline because his kid spilled milk in his PC. The rest of the time is spent waiting for the right mix of people to log on, show up, stop being AFK masturbating, and form up into groups.

Once the human variable is sorted out everyone follows a careful script to ensure phat lewts are only a lot of button presses away. If people press buttons at the wrong time, you don't win and you have to restart. It's kind of like trying to play guitar hero with your dysfunctional drunken family during Christmas dinner.

For what, a chance to roll on some comically oversized shoulder pads? People want to do that over and over again each night on the same dozen mobs or so but they think jobs are more tedious?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

Mmmmm... I wouldn't say Firefall necessarily "designed" it to be about the end-game content, but then again the "design" of Firefall has changed so many times it's hard to say. From all the stuff I've heard about Firefall over the years though, at one point or another it was intended to be about the journey like Inimicul said. That's why they invested in VO for the NPCs. They wanted to deliver to the players their wonderful narrative of this beautifully constructed world, so that they can get invested on a level beyond just mechanics...

I was speaking in general regarding "designed for end-game content", not towards Firefall, and also meant designed in the sense of "this is what the game actually supports and encourages" not necessarily the intent of designers.

Regarding narrative, the thing is, few players really care. Most gamers respond to gameplay, more than story. It's a commonly repeated mistake that designers think most people will play their game based on wanting to experience all the wondrous sights and stories they put in. No, they'll go for whatever is interesting mechanically, and optimal.

Right now, leveling is terribly dull. It's no small wonder that many try to rush it in hopes that the end-game will be better (as it is in most MMOs).

Inimicul posted:

I don't agree even a little bit. Can you name a game where end game raiding was actually interesting, or at least more entertaining than the rest of the gameplay leading up to it?

End-game more entertaining than leveling? That seems obviously true of every MMO I've played.

All your hyperbolic snark about how terrible raiding is obscures what's good about it: it involves coordination, planning, adaptation to things going wrong, and an actual possibility of failure.

That almost never happens in an MMO outside of end-game. And without it, what's left but triviality?

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 21, 2014

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
So hows the leveling after the patch? My highest frame is like 15 and even with :20bux: bike it was a loving slog last time i played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

evilentity posted:

So hows the leveling after the patch? My highest frame is like 15 and even with :20bux: bike it was a loving slog last time i played.

ARES missions increased xp by 50%. That's huge. And this weekend, all battle frames will be getting 25% xp bonus. Do Job Board missions, but make sure to pick up as many ARES missions and random events along the way as much as possible.

Despite the talk we've had about the game being a journey... there's certain economic circumstances that may be changing that would behoove one to amass as much crystite as much as possible for the time being to convert into credits to buy all the frames off the market. My suggestion would be since you're level 15:

1.) Log in. Get accustomed to the game again
2.) Run Job Board missions. Don't -only- run Job Board missions, but instead run them and then meander around within reason picking up as many ARES missions and random events as possible.
3.) Once you hit... whatever the level is... The next area Sertao/Dredge is no longer desolate. ARES/events drop like candy now. Take advantage.
4.) You want to get level ~33. I've found around there you get significantly increased crystite rewards by simply doing jobs/ares/etc, to the point that you'll easily hit the conversion cap (25,000 crystite to 1000 credits per day).
5.) Make sure to convert excess Crystite into Crystite Credits every day, due to the limit. Don't waste crystite on research/crafting. Edit: Except for perhaps run speed cores, if you don't happen to loot any.
6.) Place a lower end buy order (These don't cost anything) for your preferred advanced frame as you wait to gather more crystite credits.
7.) Weekend this Friday to Monday should be your crunch time-ish, at least for leveling.
8.) Make out like a boss because you've unlocked all the advanced frames, and go back to playing the game at your leisure.

If you only want crystite, it's been mentioned you can crate run BWA (Level 24), but "eh". It's also been mentioned Broken Peninsula has been paying out bonkers crystite and XP (Level 28?), so you should log into mumble and group up with some goons (You should do this anyway).

Edit: Another mention on BWA (Not sure after the patch though): The first time you complete BWA with any character (Not frame, but character) it will give you a primary and secondary necro weapon versions of the ones you're using. Those will take you all the way through the late 30s. Just stuff them full of modules and they'll be plenty powerful, replacing the modules occasionally as you get higher power-level modules.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread