Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Godholio posted:

Gee, maybe cutting flight hrs by 10% per year for a decade was a bad idea.

Sims are all you need. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

slidebite posted:

It's been at least a page since we've had an F35 poo poo fest, so I thought I'd just post a handy little image I saw today.
TOO BIG TO FAIL

Someone needs to go back to geography class. (Check #4 and #17.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of overstating things because they list stuff that isn't actually dependent on the F-35 program. Like the British ejection seats: Martin Baker makes ejection seats for a lot of people (including all European fighters and the F/A-18), if it weren't the F-35 it'd be some other plane. Or for France, one of the contractors they mention is Dassault Systèmes and again it's something that would be developed, and bought by engineers worldwide, even without the F-35 (France isn't even an F-35 partner).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

It's kind of overstating things because they list stuff that isn't actually dependent on the F-35 program. Like the British ejection seats: Martin Baker makes ejection seats for a lot of people (including all European fighters and the F/A-18), if it weren't the F-35 it'd be some other plane. Or for France, one of the contractors they mention is Dassault Systèmes and again it's something that would be developed, and bought by engineers worldwide, even without the F-35 (France isn't even an F-35 partner).

But think of all the jobs that would be lost at Dassault if countries switched from the F-35 to the Dassault Rafale!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

iyaayas01 posted:

putting it down at the wrong airport in FL

The disbelief in the person filming this is hilarious:

http://youtu.be/nkuqsd_tRHw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ Admittedly that is a pretty good feather for Boeing to stick in their hat. "Yeah, even when the dumbass flight crews accidentally land at the wrong airport on a runway that's way shorter than they thought, our plane can handle it" :smug:

Notice that the white ones come in all sizes and shapes, the yellow one is the smallest, and the black one is the biggest and puts everything else there to shame.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ Admittedly that is a pretty good feather for Boeing to stick in their hat. "Yeah, even when the dumbass flight crews accidentally land at the wrong airport on a runway that's way shorter than they thought, our plane can handle it" :smug:

Kind of, but isn't the whole point of those military transport planes to be able to land on short, improvised fields? Just because that guy didn't know that doesn't change that.

E: Wikiepedia says 3500' full loaded.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Notice that the white ones come in all sizes and shapes, the yellow one is the smallest, and the black one is the biggest and puts everything else there to shame.

Experimental planes are always the coolest looking, but that image is missing my favorite:

Look at that beauty.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Godholio posted:

C-130 lands gears up. Good place to do it, since Hill is one of the depot maintenance bases for C-130s.

It's a good thing that happened there, the same plane was doing stuff at KOGD the night before. I would've been upset if it landed gear up there and screwed up all three runways.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Colonial Air Force posted:

Kind of, but isn't the whole point of those military transport planes to be able to land on short, improvised fields? Just because that guy didn't know that doesn't change that.

E: Wikiepedia says 3500' full loaded.

Yeah but you don't always brief a full reverse slam the breaks kinda landing either

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Ferret King posted:

The disbelief in the person filming this is hilarious:

http://youtu.be/nkuqsd_tRHw

Your Dad witnesses a minor aviation mishap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah but you don't always brief a full reverse slam the breaks kinda landing either

Yeah basically I was thinking this. Having the whole crew preparing for a tacticool combat landing on a short field probably puts you in a different situation on approach than "uh, yeah, this is probably the place, I think"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
"Huh, this runway sure is skinnier and shorter than I remem-OH poo poo"

God I would love to have heard the CVR (those equipped on C17s?) during that rollout.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah I'd like to be a fly on the wall of that cockpit

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wanna hear the CVR for after they'd come to a stop.

Didn't someone in this thread post the recording of their conversation with ATC? Something like

"Uh, we've landed."
"I can't see you."
"Yeah um..."
"Can you look around and see if there's a sign with the name of the airport?"

Edit: Or was that the Dreamlifter? I think it was the Dreamlifter.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

I wanna hear the CVR for after they'd come to a stop.

Didn't someone in this thread post the recording of their conversation with ATC? Something like

"Uh, we've landed."
"I can't see you."
"Yeah um..."
"Can you look around and see if there's a sign with the name of the airport?"

Edit: Or was that the Dreamlifter? I think it was the Dreamlifter.

Yeah, that was the Dreamlifter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P6LV-DKMrc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man is he ever flustered. Copies the coordinates down wrong, confuses east and west, says he's south of the airport when he's actually north...jeez. Did anything ever come of that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Controller sounds bored out of his mind though.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
So bad. Just imagine that sudden realization; this is landing number 15,000 and you did everything the same as always and HOLY gently caress we are down in a place we can't take off from, maybe we ruined the strip trapping all the airplanes parked here and ruining all the companies relying on those planes to fly and they're all going to sue Boeing, everybody's gonna know it was me and I'm not going to be able to make the mortgage payment next month and I'm trying to copy down coordinates desperately hoping it might fix everything maybe but probably not. gently caress.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I just can't believe his loving plane can't tell him what drat airport he's currently sitting at. I know that drat thing has an FMS.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

I just can't believe his loving plane can't tell him what drat airport he's currently sitting at. I know that drat thing has an FMS.

There's a pretty good photosynth of the dreamlifter cockpit, and it's even got built-in EFBs. The guy was just horribly flustered.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FrozenVent posted:

Controller sounds bored out of his mind though.

That's the mark of true professionalism right there. You know the controller and the supervisor who went on the radio in the middle there were saying "what the gently caress" to each other about 73,000 times but it never made it on the radio.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
The C-17 that landed with the gear down at BAF was that in 05? If that's the one I'm thinking about I was working the line A-10 side of the runway.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

hell yes

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The F-16XL is still in NASA's active inventory? That's surprising.

fake edit: ah, it was retired in 2009, a year after that photo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was a little surprised they had an X15 there in 1993, but looked it up and discovered it is a mock-up with the same # as ship 3 which crashed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 20, 2014

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pretty drat AI -- 10 foot wingspan and 10 electric motors

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Greataval posted:

The C-17 that landed with the gear down at BAF was that in 05? If that's the one I'm thinking about I was working the line A-10 side of the runway.

There have probably been a lot of C-17s with gear-down landings at BAF ;)

Man, never realized just how big the Predator was, thing's loving huge (that is a Pred, right?)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

movax posted:

There have probably been a lot of C-17s with gear-down landings at BAF ;)

Man, never realized just how big the Predator was, thing's loving huge (that is a Pred, right?)

On the right? no it's a Reaper, on the left is a global hawk.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

What's the 747 with the goofy fins on the elevator and weird pins all over for?

edit: oh right, that's the space shuttle carrier

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 20, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TheFluff posted:

It's the pickup truck of 747s.

e. I like how everyone dogpiled on this.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

TheFluff posted:

It's for carrying the space shuttle.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TheFluff posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Carrier_Aircraft

They looked better in the old American Airlines livery they had when NASA first got them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Haha, right after posting that I googled "dryden flight research center" and figured it out from the wiki entry, but during the five minutes it took to do that I get no less than four awesome picture replies. I love this thread :3:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In case anyone doesn't read the Wikipedia article, I got a kick out of this:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SHATO? :haw:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

SHATO/VL

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ah yes, Moonraker, the movie that somehow managed to gently caress up "James Bond and a platoon of Marines fly to the big bad's space station in a shuttle cargo bay, where they engage the big bad's army in spacesuit combat with lasers".

That said, the shuttle did do flights off the back of the carrier, albeit unpowered:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It belongs in a museum. Houston recently got their shuttle mockup mounted to their carrier.