Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA just get these. maybe he will be satiated by the fact its 32 inches and isnt a poor brand (despite being cheaper)

(also kind of want it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

1gnoirents posted:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA just get these. maybe he will be satiated by the fact its 32 inches and isnt a poor brand (despite being cheaper)

(also kind of want it)

It's funny, because I never really rated Samsung displays, they always seemed to have some flaw like cheap caps and lovely stands. Dell has always made great stands and plain but long lasting designs.

Samsung is probably fine, but it's also funny that a Korean brand would be more highly regarded in America than an American brand (Dell) seeing as they're both put together in factories in China anyway. Bizarre.

vv I'm sure a lot of their gear is decent, of course. Their SSDs rock.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 20, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

It's funny, because I never really rated Samsung displays, they always seemed to have some flaw like cheap caps and lovely stands. Dell has always made great stands and plain but long lasting designs.

Samsung is probably fine, but it's also funny that a Korean brand would be more highly regarded in America than an American brand (Dell) seeing as they're both put together in factories in China anyway. Bizarre.

I'm really stretching my memory here, but I believe Dell's are LG panels, but licensed in a way that makes them somewhat exclusive to Dell. Samsung-made Samsungs have always been my favorite panels, like in the nicest looking Apple 27's and some of the ones in their own line. But then a lot of common (normal priced) Samsungs are just (normal priced) LG panels and look a little flat.

I'm not aware of any single company that can make panels as well as Samsung, though I'm no monitor guy. A lot of my Samsung-respect comes from mid 2000's LCD tv's which they just flat out owned (I had to sell TV's...)

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

http://www.frys.com/product/8069024

That's the best you can get right now if you want something to similar to the Thunderbolt display.

Troll Option? (Sorry, but no products were found.)

Comedy Option
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

Anybody have experience with these?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Everybody loves those.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Both the Apple Thunderbolt display and U2711 use the same LG LM270WQ IPS panel. You might check for other displays with that panel and see if any of them are pleasant enough to look at.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

vv I'm sure a lot of their gear is decent, of course. Their SSDs rock.

Yeah, a lot of the more high end or important crap can end up being Samsung inside (whatever device). I've also been on a Samsung ship and lived in a Samsung apartment building, and ridden in a Samsung car, riding past pristine Samsung factories having no clue what was being made inside since everything we get says made in China on it

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

McDeth posted:

Troll Option? (Sorry, but no products were found.)

Comedy Option
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

Anybody have experience with these?

That's the exact same model I posted.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

arbybaconator posted:

That's the exact same model I posted.

frys database is all hosed up right now

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

McDeth posted:

So after being burned by Apple when 4 of 5 of the 27-inch Thunderbolt displays we purchased mysteriously died a year and a half into owning them, I figured I'd do the company a favor and order some monitors that actually would, a) last more than a year, and b) still have a decent quality display picture. Enter the Dell U2711!

After I pressed the ‘Order Now’ button on Amazon, I had a belated thought that I had not consulted our CEO (Who is a DEVOTE Steve Jobs & Apple fanatic) about this decision. Enter today, where I tell him that we’ve saved $5,000 by ordering Dell monitors as opposed to Apple, which will have arguably the same picture quality and UNARGUABLY better manufacturing standards and life span (Perhaps packaging all those fancy electronics into a poorly ventilated space isn’t the best idea, Apple…but I digress.) and he blows his top because…DELL… Yes, the arguably top of the line monitor manufacturer is not good enough because he perceives Dell as being ‘bottom of the barrel’ and conveys ‘working in a poor persons office’ because they’re not aesthetically pleasing.

So I ask you, Goons, what monitor brands out there not named ‘Dell’ have a line-up of aesthetically pleasing (1st priority), high quality displays (2nd priority) that I can take to him in place of an Apple Cinema Display?

Wow. What a snot. You should get him one of those Korean imports and tell him it's the luxury brand in Japan right now. All the cool hipsters in upper class Asian businesses are using them.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

McDeth posted:

So after being burned by Apple when 4 of 5 of the 27-inch Thunderbolt displays we purchased mysteriously died a year and a half into owning them, I figured I'd do the company a favor and order some monitors that actually would, a) last more than a year, and b) still have a decent quality display picture. Enter the Dell U2711!

After I pressed the ‘Order Now’ button on Amazon, I had a belated thought that I had not consulted our CEO (Who is a DEVOTE Steve Jobs & Apple fanatic) about this decision. Enter today, where I tell him that we’ve saved $5,000 by ordering Dell monitors as opposed to Apple, which will have arguably the same picture quality and UNARGUABLY better manufacturing standards and life span (Perhaps packaging all those fancy electronics into a poorly ventilated space isn’t the best idea, Apple…but I digress.) and he blows his top because…DELL… Yes, the arguably top of the line monitor manufacturer is not good enough because he perceives Dell as being ‘bottom of the barrel’ and conveys ‘working in a poor persons office’ because they’re not aesthetically pleasing.

So I ask you, Goons, what monitor brands out there not named ‘Dell’ have a line-up of aesthetically pleasing (1st priority), high quality displays (2nd priority) that I can take to him in place of an Apple Cinema Display?

Good lord, what a fool. If he wants to rub his rear end in the carpet about brand and prestige, pick up some NEC MultiSync's (link). You could probably GIS a few pro's who have Mac Pro's and non-Apple monitors for more evidence

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah, a lot of the more high end or important crap can end up being Samsung inside (whatever device). I've also been on a Samsung ship and lived in a Samsung apartment building, and ridden in a Samsung car, riding past pristine Samsung factories having no clue what was being made inside since everything we get says made in China on it

I'm pretty sure they have their fabs in korea and then put the stuff together in china.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
That boss owns, buy him a forums account.

Although the dell monitors are nice, he's really not wrong about the publics perception of that brand. Is he worried clients are going to see your Walmart brand monitors, or does he really think they're sub standard?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BrettRobb posted:

That boss owns, buy him a forums account.

Although the dell monitors are nice, he's really not wrong about the publics perception of that brand. Is he worried clients are going to see your Walmart brand monitors, or does he really think they're sub standard?

I mean "working in a poor persons office" with $1000 1440p Dells is pretty much what you need to know. I'm sure this is more of a personal problem of his more than what clients may or may not think. Even the swankiest most ridiculous offices I go to where the treadmills are part of the architectural design wouldn't say something like that for like, actual work monitors.

Regardless, those 34" LG's will sure make the kind of impression the boss wants probably, even if might mostly be for himself.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I have the 34" LG and I love it. Other people report issues with the backlight leaking during the initial production run, but I barely notice mine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^^
I need one of those in portrait mode (If you mean the 3440x1440 one, LG appears to have two 34" models).
And one of the 4K 32" dells to ummm test compatibility under high DPI settings.

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
Any goon approved competitive gaming low input lag 120hz monitors you can give me anygoons? I'm finding myself playing CSGO more competitively and I'd like to get rid of this old 2005FPW I've got sometime soon so help me!

Please dear god help me!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

HornyBoy123 posted:

Any goon approved competitive gaming low input lag 120hz monitors you can give me anygoons? I'm finding myself playing CSGO more competitively and I'd like to get rid of this old 2005FPW I've got sometime soon so help me!

Please dear god help me!

Do you have an nvidia card? Are you SURE you can push 120fps constantly?

This one then probably, with lightboost http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

So I'm buying a fancy new laptop (probably a Sager Np9377) and am thinking about getting a secondary display, one that you plug into the USB socket I guess? Or thunderbolt or HDMI I don't know. There are some cheap-ish17" displays on Amazon, is there any you'd recommend? Portable (so not a real monitor with a non-detachable stand) is preferable.

Edit: perhaps something like this? http://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-16-Inch-USB-Powered-Portable/dp/B00CMKOVMO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408538556&sr=1-4
What do you plan to use the display for? I ask cause there's going to be some latency with USB based ones.

Not sure how many other options there are but when I searched for portable HDMI display this one came up:
http://www.amazon.com/GeChic-ON-LAP-Portable-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00H4MWMWQ/
Seems like a regular HDMI screen but with USB for power.

1gnoirents posted:

(also kind of want it)
But they're in a war with Apple in phones
:qqsay:

If he's willing to shell out for Apple displays I'd go for the LG superwide as suggested. It's even got Thunderbolt and the USB ports (and I think speakers) work through it like the Apple TB display. And over a million extra pixels of space to work with. Course it's relatively new and some early adopters have had issues, but I haven't kept up to see how the rev B models are doing. And hell if I know how LG's support is.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I hope you at least tried to submit a warranty claim on those Apple Cinema Displays.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Dell has always made great stands and plain but long lasting designs.
Most other things about Dell blow but this is absolutely true. I'm still using a 2005FPW as a right-hand "wing" on my 30" Apple Cinema Display.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I have a Dell W1700 that has been chugging along for 11 years now. Back in 2003 being able to do homework on my PC with TV in PIP on the same screen was the digital equivalent of black magic.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The 1440p Dell displays I had at a previous job were like staring at sandpaper. I don't know if it was the overly matte screen or the antiglare coating or what. I have a S2340M at home and it's on par with my two TB displays so I know not everything they make is poo poo, I looked for an S2340M-equivalent (glossy) in 1440p but they don't make it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

NOTinuyasha posted:

The 1440p Dell displays I had at a previous job were like staring at sandpaper. I don't know if it was the overly matte screen or the antiglare coating or what. I have a S2340M at home and it's on par with my two TB displays so I know not everything they make is poo poo, I looked for an S2340M-equivalent (glossy) in 1440p but they don't make it.
It's the anti-glare coating they used. The old screens had a really thick coating of it and ended up with the grainy look you've described. The U2713H (not the U2713HM) is a new version of the U2711 but with a significantly less grainy antiglare coating so if you want the super accurate colours and the connectivity options that the U2711 used to have it's your best bet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LG is probably a lower tier brand than Dell.

I mean they make washing machines. Who wants a monitor from the Maytag man?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

japtor posted:

What do you plan to use the display for? I ask cause there's going to be some latency with USB based ones.

Not sure how many other options there are but when I searched for portable HDMI display this one came up:

It'll just be to have music or a video or some pages open, so it looks like something like that will do the trick. Really portable too. Thanks!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NOTinuyasha posted:

poo poo is a matter of opinion - I'd much rather take the old Dell AG coating over the glossy bullshit Apple somehow thinks is usable (obviously the more subtle but still effective revised coating on the newer models is preferable)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Is there actually a real need for 100% aRGB displays for someone who isn't a fine artist? Even as a photographer, 90% of what I do is going to be displayed on sRGB displays (or at least output for web as sRGB) and the rest will be sent to 4-color offset press, which also generally has a smaller gamut. While working with aRGB files makes sense to help keep gradients from blocking up, I'm not sure I see the point in spending extra on an aRGB display. If I was doing fine art and printing to inkjets with a higher gamut, I could see the point.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

dissss posted:

poo poo is a matter of opinion - I'd much rather take the old Dell AG coating over the glossy bullshit Apple somehow thinks is usable (obviously the more subtle but still effective revised coating on the newer models is preferable)

How do you cope with your smartphone?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KingEup posted:

How do you cope with your smartphone?

Angle it so reflections aren't a problem.

Not so practical with a large desktop display that you are looking at for extended periods of time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

What about the Dell dude?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I assume that's what his boss still sees when he thinks of Dell.

Or maybe he buys Apple because they're Justin Long.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

japtor posted:

But they're in a war with Apple in phones
:qqsay:

If he's willing to shell out for Apple displays I'd go for the LG superwide as suggested. It's even got Thunderbolt and the USB ports (and I think speakers) work through it like the Apple TB display. And over a million extra pixels of space to work with. Course it's relatively new and some early adopters have had issues, but I haven't kept up to see how the rev B models are doing. And hell if I know how LG's support is.

The only problem with the super-wide displays is that these users are already operating with 27-inch iMac's. While tacking on an additional 3440 pixles of horizontal screen real estate (for a total of 6,000 horizontal pixles) SOUNDS awesome, I already have issues craning my neck using with 2x 27 Apple Cinema Displays. I duno, it sounds pedantic but I think we'd have people out with neck injuries, lol.

I checked out the 29-inch superwides, but the vertical resolution doesn't seem tall enough to justify them.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I assume that's what his boss still sees when he thinks of Dell.

Or maybe he buys Apple because they're Justin Long.

He buys Apple because he was one of the fools that was using Apple before Steve Jobs left Apple the first time...and because PC's were too 'hard to use' and Apples 'just made sense to him'. He also has a gigantic throbbing Steve Jobs boner because Steve Jobs was literally a modern day messiah.

Also, gently caress Steve 'I don't take showers and I'm a huge loving jackass' Jobs

KingEup posted:

I hope you at least tried to submit a warranty claim on those Apple Cinema Displays.

All 4 of the monitors were outside of Apples standard 1-year warranty. Of course we didn't spring for Applecare on these monitors because it was too expensive. Let that sink in and feel the rage I do on a daily basis.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Aphrodite posted:

So? Samsung does, too.

Washing machines with smartphone remote control apps.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Some of these new Samsung monitors look pretty nice.

28-inch, 4k display for $599.99? drat....
From a pure aestical sense, it's hard to beat the looks of the http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

And then there's the 27" 850 Series Business LED Monitor with the rotating stand, which is kind of nice
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA

Any thoughts on Samsung monitors?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

McDeth posted:

Some of these new Samsung monitors look pretty nice.

28-inch, 4k display for $599.99? drat....
From a pure aestical sense, it's hard to beat the looks of the http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

And then there's the 27" 850 Series Business LED Monitor with the rotating stand, which is kind of nice
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA

Any thoughts on Samsung monitors?

They have been making, either for themselves or others (Apple :0), some of the best panels ever created since like 2006.

On the flip side, they also put out totally mediocre poo poo too. It really comes down to case by case and you have to read reviews where they really what's going on.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Aside from the Asus RoG PG278Q, are there any other gsync enabled gaming-focused monitors coming out in 27"+?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

McDeth posted:

All 4 of the monitors were outside of Apples standard 1-year warranty. Of course we didn't spring for Applecare on these monitors because it was too expensive. Let that sink in and feel the rage I do on a daily basis.

Submit a claim anyway.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Falcon2001 posted:

Aside from the Asus RoG PG278Q, are there any other gsync enabled gaming-focused monitors coming out in 27"+?

According to Nvidia, Acer will have a 27" 1440 and a 28" 4K "in Q3."

Personally, I'm more interested in DisplayPort 1.2a/1.3 with adaptive refresh, i.e. FreeSync, i.e. G-Sync without the price premium on any old monitor that supports DP 1.2a/1.3.

Speaking of... The Dell UZ2315H seems to have DP 1.2a. Nice. I wonder when somebody's going to notice and try FreeSync on it.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

KingEup posted:

Submit a claim anyway.

'Claim Denied: Outside standard 1-year manufacturer warranty. After careful consideration by your friendly neighborhood Apple Genius, we have determined that your monitors LED display is defective. A replacement part can be ordered from Apple for $799.99.

Thank you for shopping with getting butt-hosed by Apple!'