Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

For Gowanus Club I'd say you can prepare the syrup, oleo-saccharum, tea, and Chartreuse mix a couple days in advance, then mix with the gin and soda at the party. Pineapple and lemon are both significantly better when fresh, so don't do it too far in advance. I often make my larger punches the night before though, which doesn't affect flavor negatively at all in my experience.

The Hebug posted:

Cool! It's very tasty, but I can never quite figure out how much flavor the Chartreuse really adds. Also I wish that it had more pineapple flavor, but I guess that might throw things off balance.

First of all, I always use green Chartreuse, and you can absolutely taste it. It's a sort of tingle on the tip of the tongue. Secondly, I'm not sure more pineapple would be all that welcome. Punch must be refreshing and moreish. If you actually soak your pineapple chunks in syrup for a whole day and squeeze aggressively when straining you should have a decided pineapple component in your punch without it getting too tropical sweet.

cbirdsong posted:

Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

Fresh pineapple juice isn't even in the same ballpark. That said, I think canned is okay a lot of the time because juicing a pineapple is sort of annoying. I spent a lot of time a couple summers ago refining my technique, and wrote it up in this post.

I think you should juice a pineapple at least once. I don't use canned myself because I know what a treat fresh pineapple juice is, even though I think it's fair to use for most people. That said, I usually only juice one or two pineapples a year, and only when I'm getting into a big Tiki phase. It only stays magical for like a week, so if you try it out I recommend having lots of drinks in mind. Might I suggest Mint Soap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cbirdsong posted:

Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

The canning process basically cooks the juice. This changes the flavour completely (for the worse).

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Have been trying to introduce more DIY to the menu at work lately, mixed results.

Shrubs are awesome but tough to balance in cocktails, great simple mixers with soda. Highlight was definitely watermelon shrub + rye. Grapefruit and gin also top notch. Worst of the batch was a cucumber one, worked ok as a pickle back alternative how ever. We noticed our vinegar : sugar/fruit syrup ratio was much different to most of the recipes we could find which proposed 1:1, this being much to harsh with distinct vinegar aftertastes.

Does anyone have killer Falernum recipe's?

Have made a few batches of both Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic and all have been a little short of where i want them. Never having purchased Falernum (Australia) i don't have a great base of where to go from my failures.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Keep an eye on punch magazine, and please drop your shrub specs.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

Does anyone have killer Falernum recipe's?

A bunch on egullet I was scanning earlier today

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/54502-falernum-the-topic/?p=1893661

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Pro-loving-click right there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

God bless that FrogPrincesse.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Yep, that will do.

Shrubs we made just 1:1 fruit-sugar, let steep for 24+ hours, strain and the combine with vinegar. We trialed them all with a few different vinegars, finding that most went well with white balsamic (has a sweeter, caramel, mouth coating feel to it) or Raspberry vinegar (fruity, doesn't overwhelm gentle fruit flavours). Most of the shrubs on the market utilise either apple cider or coconut vinegars, we bought fairly cheap ones but found them to be super acidic and pretty stringent. I only had one of the Pok-Pok Som ones to balance flavours against, none of ours came out as good as this, consistency was off and we couldn't get the fruit flavour to come out as strong.

The Good:
Lemon
Apple
Pineapple
Strawberry
Grapefruit
Watermelon (#1, in yield and in flavor, delicious with rye and soda)
Grape (this was ok but flavour was pretty light, might benefit from reducing the syrup first)

The Bad:
Cucumber (tasted like pickles)
Pineapple and Chilli (to intense, might try it again with less chilli)
Pear and Basil (lacked punch, didn't carry flavors very well)

What we learned was that you want a fruit with a big flavor, strangely acidic fruits work quite well as your already expecting that tart/sour finish so the vinegar doesn't come off as tasting weird in combination.

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes utilizing rhubarb syrup? I made some with left overs from pie the other day but it's not been as good as i thought (does taste delicious on it's own). Made some fairly simple gin/lemon cocktails but they are rather one dimensional.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
My batch of kaiser penguin falernum is finished. Only problem is it's so drat spicy and funky with the JWray that I need to scale it down in recipes to make sure it doesnt monster everything else!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just discovered the magic of adding mint, cucumber, or celery to a gin and tonic. Or whatever combination. Makes my favorite drink just a little different. And with Hendricks gin it's just all sorts of :allears:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Does anyone know how Luxardo Amaretto compares to Disaronno? I need a new bottle of amaretto and wondered if there's enough of a difference to justify spending the extra three to five dollars for it.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Meaty Ore posted:

Does anyone know how Luxardo Amaretto compares to Disaronno? I need a new bottle of amaretto and wondered if there's enough of a difference to justify spending the extra three to five dollars for it.

I'm just about to buy the Luxardo, so while I'm very interested in your question I'm completely unable to answer it. I decided on the Luxardo largely based on this irritating but somewhat informative blind tasting, which you've probably already come across.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

I can't remember if I've ever had Luxardo, but I got Disaronno when it was on sale one day instead of my normal Lazzaroni. I ended up disappointed and trying to give it away as much as possible.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I can't remember if I've ever had Luxardo, but I got Disaronno when it was on sale one day instead of my normal Lazzaroni. I ended up disappointed and trying to give it away as much as possible.

I've never had Luxardo Amaretto, but I think Lazzaroni is the best.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Do I really need expensive, premium, L'Hoity-toity van Gogh XO or whatever if all I plan on using absinthe for is rinses, dashes, drops, etc.? Given that a bottle used in this fashion could conceivably last for a number of years, can anyone recommend a non-lovely absinthe that won't break the bank?

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I don't think that it's necessary to spring for premium absinthe when you are just using it to rinse glasses. The complex flavors that set the good stuff apart from the middle of the road stuff will almost certainly be overshadowed by all the other ingredients in your drink if you are using only a tiny bit like in most recipes.

Grande Absente and St. George are two brands that you can buy in small bottles for $20 or less. The Grande Absente is not very complex, but it does the job in a Sazerac or Corpse Reviver #2. The St. George is a lot more complex but lacks the strong anise kick that you get from most other brands. I personally like the St. George more than other traditional anise-heavy brands, but it all just depends on what you are looking for.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno, I feel like St. George has a pretty keen anise punch.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

St. George definitely has a lot of anise in it, but it seems to me that the other stuff that is going on in the background mutes it quite a bit. I can drink the St. George by itself and enjoy it but have a difficult time doing so with most other brands I've tried.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
Hi thread! I come with a question and a recipe. (I've been following the thread for about a year or so, and started with vodka cranberries for the wife, so hopefully the recipe isn't terrible!)

Question: given that I've focused our liquor, bitters, etc. acquisition heavily on fruity/spicy/floral flavors; and also given that I have fresh citrus, bar supplies, etc. all stocked; what can I make to ease me into Campari? I picked up a bottle today and tried a Negroni, but even with the addition of simple syrup and club soda so the wife would drink it, I just couldn't bear it. I'm okay with funky/weird flavors (been going through my Smith & Cross, as well as my Wray & Nephew, way too fast - thanks Kenning!) but the Campari just hit a big NOPE button in my brain.

And the recipe: I ended up making Manhattans all night because I have a brand new bottle of Carpano as well, and decided to finish the night with a rum variant. Here's what I did (obviously scale to taste if you are a more seasoned drinker than me):

1.5oz Plantation Barbados 5-year
.75 oz Carpano
A good strong dash of Dale DeGroff's pimento bitters (these are so good)
Stirred, strained, topped with ginger beer and a big heavy twist of lime rubbed all up in that glass

Simple, smooth, nice to wind down a humid day with. Would of course love recs on how to up this cocktail as well!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Birthday present from my bar mgr
http://imgur.com/ZrZUXqn

So . Good.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

bald gnome error posted:

what can I make to ease me into Campari?

I have a friend who 'doesn't like Campari'. She loves this:

Bitter Mai Tai - 1.5oz Campari, .75oz rum, 1oz lime juice, .75oz orgeat, .5oz orange liqueur. Shake/cracked ice DOF/mint sprig.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

A Jungle Bird is the tastiest way I know to introduce someone to Campari
1.5 oz dark Jamaican (or blackstrap rum if you have it), 1.5 oz pineapple, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.5 oz lime juice, 0.5 oz simple syrup. Shake, dump, garnish with whatever (pineapple, cherry, orange, lime).

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

The Hebug posted:

1.5 oz dark Jamaican (or blackstrap rum if you have it), 1.5 oz pineapple, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.5 oz lime juice, 0.5 oz simple syrup. Shake, dump, garnish with whatever (pineapple, cherry, orange, lime).

Are you the not cocktail of the week guy?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Hebug posted:

I was also going to recommend the Jungle Bird, but the recipe I have is much heavier on the pineapple. Might make the Campari even more enjoyable.

Jungle Bird

3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. dark Jamaican

Of course, to make this as wonderful as possible, you might try freshly-juiced pineapple instead of canned.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Horn posted:

Are you the not cocktail of the week guy?

That seems plausible.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

The Hebug posted:

That seems plausible.

You alone are responsible for me spending hundreds of dollars in the past few months.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When it comes to simple cocktails like the Manhattan, Sazerac, and Old Fashioned what seperates a good one from a bad one?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Elderbean posted:

When it comes to simple cocktails like the Manhattan, Sazerac, and Old Fashioned what seperates a good one from a bad one?

You enjoy a good one. If you're a snob you say you can really only enjoy one properly made with period-appropriate whiskey, clear ice, and vintage bar tools. I guess a more thoughtful answer would be using decent ingredients like non-spoiled vermouth, actually including bitters, and not over diluting. Respect the ingredients, respect the recipe.

NIGARS posted:

You alone are responsible for me spending hundreds of dollars in the past few months.

If it makes you feel better, I also spend hundreds of dollars every few months in order to keep bringing new content and educate myself, but I hope you found it worthwhile.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Hebug posted:

You enjoy a good one. If you're a snob you say you can really only enjoy one properly made with period-appropriate whiskey, clear ice, and vintage bar tools. I guess a more thoughtful answer would be using decent ingredients like non-spoiled vermouth, actually including bitters, and not over diluting. Respect the ingredients, respect the recipe.

I actually think under-dilution is more of a problem with Manhattans. A couple lazy stirs will produce a drink that isn't particularly integrated, in which the sharpness of the spirit, the sweetness of the vermouth, and the pungency of the bitters all sort of clatter around. A Manhattan that has been stirred well for 30-45 seconds has enough dilution to smooth the edges of all the ingredients and make them work together.

A great Old Fashioned/Sazerac features the flavor of the spirit prominently without being difficult to drink. It should not be radically dry. Although at this point we're getting into the realm of personal taste, I do think that lots of contemporary Old Fashioneds are too austere, and could use a bit more sugar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
With an Old Fashioned, it's also important not to take advice from people who type up long screeds about the right and wrong way to make an Old Fashioned. It is the gooniest loving cocktail for some reason.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Make it yourself. Learn what you like and don't like about it. Fix these things the next time you make it. Repeat until you are satisfied.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Elderbean posted:

the Manhattan, ...what seperates a good one from a bad one?

The Hebug posted:

non-spoiled vermouth

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Everyone who posted between this post and my last post is 100% correct and I admire their good sense and character.

Edit: especially marmot

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I had some gin, and a couple limes. SO, I dug around my liquor cabinet, and found some triple sec and dry vermouth. So, I made an Admiral Benbow, and a Pegu Club. Both are pretty good.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm looking to recreate a cocktail I had here: http://oliverbonacini.com/OliverBonacini/media/pdfs/BannockWine.pdf
Kentucky Peach – Jim Beam Bourbon, Southern Comfort, peach juice, bar lime, egg white, muddled rosemary leaves

And I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what proportions/amounts of the ingredients to use. Additionally, I don't have any peach juice – would mango juice be an okay substitute, or should I try making juice out of the peaches I have?

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Made a beet shrub for G&T's and it's wonderful. Added some Ginger Liqueur to it and I think it rounded it out. I'm going to start trying to follow the seasons, so I'm considering a pear shrub next for September and then maybe a pumpkin shrub for October if I can make it work. Not sure what I'll do with them when I'm done though, but I'm sure I'll find something.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

I'm looking to recreate a cocktail I had here: http://oliverbonacini.com/OliverBonacini/media/pdfs/BannockWine.pdf
Kentucky Peach – Jim Beam Bourbon, Southern Comfort, peach juice, bar lime, egg white, muddled rosemary leaves

And I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what proportions/amounts of the ingredients to use. Additionally, I don't have any peach juice – would mango juice be an okay substitute, or should I try making juice out of the peaches I have?

I'm gonna guess:

1.5oz bourbon
.5oz Southern Comfort
.5oz peach juice
.75oz lime juice

I assume the 'peach juice' is something like a peach simple syrup, otherwise I don't really see anything in this drink that would sweeten it up. Do 1.5 cups water and sugar, boil to dissolve, add ~1 cup chopped peaches, simmer for 20 mins, take off the heat and let it cool. Strain out the solids and bottle it.

Duey posted:

Made a beet shrub for G&T's and it's wonderful. Added some Ginger Liqueur to it and I think it rounded it out. I'm going to start trying to follow the seasons, so I'm considering a pear shrub next for September and then maybe a pumpkin shrub for October if I can make it work. Not sure what I'll do with them when I'm done though, but I'm sure I'll find something.

I've been doing this all spring/summer with syrups instead of shrubs, using the above mentioned method. Just taking whatever fruit happens to be at the market that week. My move has been clear spirit/fruit syrup/citrus/optional bitters that would go well with whatever combo I'm using.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Klauser posted:

I'm gonna guess:

1.5oz bourbon
.5oz Southern Comfort
.5oz peach juice
.75oz lime juice

I assume the 'peach juice' is something like a peach simple syrup, otherwise I don't really see anything in this drink that would sweeten it up. Do 1.5 cups water and sugar, boil to dissolve, add ~1 cup chopped peaches, simmer for 20 mins, take off the heat and let it cool. Strain out the solids and bottle it.

Last night I tried it as a modified whisky sour: 1.5 bourbon, 1 lime, .75 soco, 0.5 oz simple, 0.5 egg white, and then muddled peaches and rosemary. The fresh peaches I have aren't very good though (BF who doesn't understand fruit bought them and put them in the fridge for 2 weeks, so they haven't gone off, but they're also kind of bland/grainy). Tonight I'll try making a syrup with a mix of fresh and frozen peaches!

e: this was way better than last night's attempt. plus I made BF something with egg yolk, light rum, and cointreau. He liked it.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 2, 2014

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes utilizing rhubarb syrup? I made some with left overs from pie the other day but it's not been as good as i thought (does taste delicious on it's own). Made some fairly simple gin/lemon cocktails but they are rather one dimensional.

I've found it responds to most of the same flavours apple does so whiskey, rum, lemon, sloe gin, abricot brandy and pineapple all work. I like to keep rhubarb syrup around at work just because it goes with a LOT of tiki and helps makes drinks pinker, (I accept I am a hack)

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I figure this is the right place to ask. How long does red vermouth keep after opening if you refrigerate it? The answers online vary wildly from a few weeks to a year.