Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think that's the problem. The game tells you what to do.

The problem is you're looking at an extremely low chance drop. I'm simply not even trying to do it again until there is some sort of guarantee of drop after a point. There are other routes to high tier weapons that are much less time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
It's about the stdev of repeated attempts giving you what you want. Atma's extremely low fixed chance means a single standard deviation will be huge, so tons of players are on the lovely end of the bell curve. All it would take is the much-requested "increase the drop rate for that zone when you fail to get a drop" to lower the stdev and slim down that bell curve.

If loot rolls in Coil are just "pick two items at random from the loot table", which I think it is, you have a 12.5% chance of getting the item you want each week, with oil and sands drops as a failsafe. Atma has no failsafe.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.
Hay guys did they fix the atma grind in this patch?? Atma atma atma, somebody tweet at a squeenix intern about this please.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's a 3% drops chance you can roll as often as as there are fates to tap while I only get to roll my 12% chance for my earrings once every week. I'm sure there's example of "but it took my 500 hours for muh atma" but by and large most players can get it done in 20 hours of pure farming. That's not a lot to ask to upgrade your weapon.

It's so easy I did it twice and am thinking about doing it a third time. Maybe I'll race the stream.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Got all of mine in two days of casual play. What up dorks

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Got two atma weapons in the span of 24 hours, now I can't get my 4th atma for my thyrus to save my life.

Atma atma atma atma atma atma atma atma

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think that's the problem. The game tells you what to do.

The problem is you're looking at an extremely low chance drop. I'm simply not even trying to do it again until there is some sort of guarantee of drop after a point. There are other routes to high tier weapons that are much less time consuming.

Yeah, if you're doing stuff like going to the wrong zone or not having a Zenith equipped, that's kind of your fault. I spent 20 mins in the wrong zone last weekend, felt dumb, moved on.

The biggest problem (to me at least) is that you get nothing of any use for all your efforts. You get the ilvl100 but no stat boost to show for it. Let's say the average time to collect the 12 atma is 20 hours of actual farming. That's 20 hours to get the chance to spend at least another 30-40 hours on animus books in order to get an actual ilvl 100 weapon. Just seems kind of silly. But, I'm a sucker for the idea of the relic weapons so I'm doing it, about 60% through my first book now.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Belzac posted:

It's a 3% drops chance you can roll as often as as there are fates to tap

Because averaging 400 FATEs per 12 Atma is fun, right? And it's even more fun when you end up on the tail end of the RNG curve... right? :geno:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I wasn't complaining folks I just grind for it while doing my weekly challenge log for choco-buddy and FATEs. I kinda wish there was more of an 'objective' than prayer (maybe a drop % at the currently active FATE, kinda like gathering) but it's not horrible.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Atmas were added in 2.2 and haven't changed and its now 2.35. Nothing is going to change, find something else to complain about people.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

ps am no frog posted:

Atmas were added in 2.2 and haven't changed and its now 2.35. Nothing is going to change, find something else to complain about people.

I could have sworn they said they were going to change it when 2.4 hits but maybe i misheard something.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ouhei posted:

The same armor looks just as dumb/revealing on male characters. For the most part, SE has done a decent job of giving both sexes dumb skimpy armor options.

Scylla Robe of Healing. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Shroud soil has predictably skyrocketed on my server thanks to chocobo fruits. :mad:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SpazmasterX posted:

Shroud soil has predictably skyrocketed on my server thanks to chocobo fruits. :mad:

Do we even know if you can get more than one fruit per seed?

nem-x
Dec 11, 2004

A deaf-mute

They're growing as fast as a Krakka Root, so I'm predicting we get multiple fruits from each seed. The first harvest should be later tonight.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, if you're doing stuff like going to the wrong zone or not having a Zenith equipped, that's kind of your fault. I spent 20 mins in the wrong zone last weekend, felt dumb, moved on.

If they spent any amount of time refining the idea, there would be at minimum a trackable quest that flagged whether or not you met the proper conditions. Instead its an unapologetic time sink that has an absurd number of people defending it and the rest of them don't want to hear about it anymore.

I did it, I'm done. But I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to complain about it in the thread for the goddamned game. It sucks.

nem-x posted:

They're growing as fast as a Krakka Root, so I'm predicting we get multiple fruits from each seed. The first harvest should be later tonight.

Yeah the only things that yield one are starred plants. I fully expect these to yield the 18 or whatever from shroud soil

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There's something far more important than atmas, and that's good looking pants.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Smart Car posted:

There's something far more important than atmas, and that's good looking pants.

Those are amazing pants, what are they?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Belzac posted:

most players can get it done in 20 hours of pure farming. That's not a lot to ask to upgrade your weapon.

Yes it is. 20 hours is a long time. 20 hours is almost an entire day of your life spent doing the same monotonous task and getting no actual reward other than a bump to your item level. No stats, no significant visual difference.

It's like work, except you pay THEM for the privilege of doing it. It is a bad gameplay mechanic. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Emalde posted:

Scylla Robe of Healing. :colbert:

I did say for the most part. :colbert:

Shere posted:

If they spent any amount of time refining the idea, there would be at minimum a trackable quest that flagged whether or not you met the proper conditions. Instead its an unapologetic time sink that has an absurd number of people defending it and the rest of them don't want to hear about it anymore.

I did it, I'm done. But I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to complain about it in the thread for the goddamned game. It sucks.

I'm not saying the system is great by any means, it sucks for sure. But I'm not sure that particular set of problems are really worth fixing. Are they going to warn you every time you do a FATE after you get that quest if you don't have a Zenith equipped? Or if you do a FATE in a zone that doesn't give Atma? What if I have the Atma quests but I'm doing FATES to level a second job or something? That seems like it'd get annoying.

It would be nice to add a checklist keyitem that tracks your atma for you though, like the Animus books do. This way they're not taking up any room in your inventory and you have a better way to track which ones you've done and where you still need to go.

Edit: If it were me, I'd either drastically increase the Atma drop rate or change the quest to do X number of FATES in each zone (10-15 or something). Then make Animus books more potent, 1 book for each stat (maybe 2 for the main stat if that makes it too short). Keeps the spirit of the questline but makes the ramp up easier to get to the Novus stage and beyond.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2014

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Samba De Amigo posted:

Those are amazing pants, what are they?
Turn 9 drop.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Yes it is. 20 hours is a long time. 20 hours is almost an entire day of your life spent doing the same monotonous task and getting no actual reward other than a bump to your item level. No stats, no significant visual difference.

It's like work, except you pay THEM for the privilege of doing it. It is a bad gameplay mechanic. This is a fact, not an opinion.

I'm not exactly a big fan of atmas but holy poo poo you're playing an MMO 20 hours is not a significant time investment for a weapon you can continuously upgrade

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think some people have expended more time yelling at other players about how bad atma is than they would've actually getting atma, at this point

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is it atma time again?

Please get good nerds.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Atmas are just the tip of an iceberg of terrible, anyhow.

Abandon questline.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else getting a ton of dyes from Quick Ventures after the patch? I never got them before, but now I'll get three or four in a row.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

Anyone else getting a ton of dyes from Quick Ventures after the patch? I never got them before, but now I'll get three or four in a row.

I've gotten a ton pre-patch. It's all RNG. Don't let it fool you.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

What is this fancy blue chocobo head piece I keep seeing? I want one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Line Feed posted:

Plumed Barding, from the achievement for feeding other peoples' chocobos 30 times.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Line Feed posted:

Feed 30 other people's chocobos for the FIESTA hat. You get it from an achievement.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Doublestep posted:

I'm not exactly a big fan of atmas but holy poo poo you're playing an MMO 20 hours is not a significant time investment for a weapon you can continuously upgrade

It is an MMO, therefore being fun to play is not a requirement.

I mean, atma really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and I don't hate it as much as that post implied, but it's a bad mechanic and I won't budge on that. It's the most transparent case of padding game time without spending any development money I have ever seen, and I loving played Bravely Default to 100% completion.

Harettazetta posted:

Atmas are just the tip of an iceberg of terrible, anyhow.

Abandon questline.

Yeah, animus was significantly worse than atma (now you get to spend an hour doing LITERALLY NOTHING, three times per book!)

Novus has been better so far, but I haven't had to buy any materia yet since I have a stockpile.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It is an MMO, therefore being fun to play is not a requirement.

I mean, atma really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and I don't hate it as much as that post implied, but it's a bad mechanic and I won't budge on that. It's the most transparent case of padding game time without spending any development money I have ever seen, and I loving played Bravely Default to 100% completion.

Yeah, animus was significantly worse than atma (now you get to spend an hour doing LITERALLY NOTHING, three times per book!)

Novus has been better so far, but I haven't had to buy any materia yet since I have a stockpile.

I'm cringing thinking of Novus since I only have like 3 materia saved, Animus has some bad mechanics (MORE FATES) but at least won't require me to spend millions of Gil I don't have.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
More and more it's becoming obvious that relics exist as a status symbol and not what everyone should focus on.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

:agreed:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

More and more it's becoming obvious that relics exist as a status symbol and not what everyone should focus on.

My novus exist because it bugged me that the scrolls were sitting in my inventory. Bad financial decisions.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I keep saying I'm gonna do the Novus for ninja but then I do a dozen fates and decide that maybe I'm a dumbass?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hopefully they introduce the ability to sell Atma, because to be quite honest comparing that/Animus/Novus against the UAT/Sands upgrade path, I'd rather sell the 9+2 duplicates I have now, and just hunt every now and then.

My retainer is holding on to them in the mean time in case I ever change my mind, but I probably won't.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

dangersandwich posted:

Because averaging 400 FATEs per 12 Atma is fun, right? And it's even more fun when you end up on the tail end of the RNG curve... right? :geno:

:smug:Why aren't you farming turn 9?!:smug:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Kyrosiris posted:

Plumed Barding, from the achievement for feeding other peoples' chocobos 30 times.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Feed 30 other people's chocobos for the FIESTA hat. You get it from an achievement.

Cool, thank you! I'm totally going to get in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Welp, my PC died. I need a laptop for work anyway and found this bad boy for a pretty penny. Think I'll be able to run FFXIV on low?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257833&cm_re=refurbished_asus-_-34-257-833-_-Product

• Locked thread