Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dissss posted:

What else would you use that space for?

More big big big big gulp cupholders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DrPain posted:

A friend sent me this.

In the new Chrysler 200 "America's Import" commercials they keep showing this bullshit like it's some huge deal that the removed the shifter and put in a selector. That's all we need is more room for hambeasts to put giant drinks between the seats.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

In the new Chrysler 200 "America's Import" commercials they keep showing this bullshit like it's some huge deal that the removed the shifter and put in a selector. That's all we need is more room for hambeasts to put giant drinks between the seats.

Only thing more American than Double Gulp-capable cup holders is a center console gun safe.

slip proof stairs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BlackMK4 posted:

It pisses me off when online vendors don't allow local pickup. Oh, your warehouse with the parts I need in stock are ten miles from me? Won't let me pick them up? Charge me $10 shipping AND tax on a couple of small parts? Time to find another vendor.

This wasn't ECS tuning, was it?

I tried to buy some headlight wires that would realistically fit in a padded envelope from them, they wanted $20 to ship them across three zip codes and refused to do local pickup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I tried to buy some headlight wires that would realistically fit in a padded envelope from them, they wanted $20 to ship them across three zip codes and refused to do local pickup.

Everyone shipping to Canada insists on using flat-rate international containers rather than spending a few seconds thinking seriously about how much it would cost to get an appropriately sized package around it.

I ship things to the US all the time for under $10, and yet the same things being ordered from SGP or other outlets are $30 or more. It stinks but it's not like it's a priority to fix it for online stores.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

To me, there is nothing more American than those ridiculous fast food ultra-large cups that hold half a gallon of soda or whatever, with the little normal-sized bottom that fits in the cup holder, ballooning out to like six inches across right above. You get to consume as much sugar water as possible without having to lever yourself out of the car because the cup won't fit inside. :911:

I once stopped at a QuikTrip that was having a promotion -- any size soda for 88 cents. I filled up a 20oz cup and brought it to the cash.

"Oh, it's, uh, any size for 88 cents right now."
"Yeah, I saw."
"Well I mean you could get a bigger one, it's the same price."
"I know, but I only want this much."
"But -- it's a better deal. Seriously, you can get the 44 ounce cup and it's still only 88 cents."
"Yeah, but I don't...never mind. This is what I want."
(shrugs) "Okay, your choice"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geoj posted:

Nah, AzAutohaus. I need to find a warehouse locally that allows pickup.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

It pisses me off when online vendors don't allow local pickup. Oh, your warehouse with the parts I need in stock are ten miles from me? Won't let me pick them up? Charge me $10 shipping AND tax on a couple of small parts? Time to find another vendor.

The company I work for (which ships internationally from the warehouse I work in) totally lets people do will calls if they want to pick it up themselves. We've got a customer driving down from Tacoma Thursday to return an item to the warehouse because he didn't want to pay return shipping. We don't even charge restock fees!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Everyone shipping to Canada insists on using flat-rate international containers rather than spending a few seconds thinking seriously about how much it would cost to get an appropriately sized package around it.

We ship tiny parts in envelopes to Canada all the time! We even group all our Canadian shipments together and send them in bulk shipments on Wednesdays and Fridays because it's cheaper to ship a pallet full of individual shipments (to be broken down and split into individual shipments once it's past customs) to Canadian customers than it is to ship each item as it's own shipment, so it saves our customers money!

we don't sell anything even remotely automotive-related though :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

To me, there is nothing more American than those ridiculous fast food ultra-large cups that hold half a gallon of soda or whatever, with the little normal-sized bottom that fits in the cup holder, ballooning out to like six inches across right above. You get to consume as much sugar water as possible without having to lever yourself out of the car because the cup won't fit inside. :911:

I once stopped at a QuikTrip that was having a promotion -- any size soda for 88 cents. I filled up a 20oz cup and brought it to the cash.

"Oh, it's, uh, any size for 88 cents right now."
"Yeah, I saw."
"Well I mean you could get a bigger one, it's the same price."
"I know, but I only want this much."
"But -- it's a better deal. Seriously, you can get the 44 ounce cup and it's still only 88 cents."
"Yeah, but I don't...never mind. This is what I want."
(shrugs) "Okay, your choice"

I have this argument at movie theaters all the time...

:)"I'd like a small soda."

:haw: "A large is only a quarter more!"

:) "But I want a small not a large..."

:confused: "It's such a good deal though. Are you sure?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

We ship tiny parts in envelopes to Canada all the time! We even group all our Canadian shipments together and send them in bulk shipments on Wednesdays and Fridays because it's cheaper to ship a pallet full of individual shipments (to be broken down and split into individual shipments once it's past customs) to Canadian customers than it is to ship each item as it's own shipment, so it saves our customers money!

we don't sell anything even remotely automotive-related though :(

You better get started.

RockAuto does it really, really right, although I find that a lot of their "entry level" shipping is more expensive than it should be too.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Sagebrush posted:

To me, there is nothing more American than those ridiculous fast food ultra-large cups that hold half a gallon of soda or whatever, with the little normal-sized bottom that fits in the cup holder, ballooning out to like six inches across right above.

I actually have way more appreciation for these things after going to these Taiwanese milk tea places. Some places the only size is this huge bowl-like cup for some reason. OK fine, make the only size huge so you make more money (the place is good enough that it's worth it) but at least give me a functional cup like 7-11 does!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dissss posted:

Bench seats.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Bench seats.

Bench seats are still only wide enough for 2 average Americans though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sometimes I drive things across the border and ship them from within Canada since I'm there so often. Either that or send it to the border if someone is close.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

revmoo posted:

This is how automatics should be. The stupid console shifter is idiotic and takes up space. It's nothing more than a switch anyway.

This was false until the mid 00s, later on some makes.

It's also pretty annoying to come up with a durable gearshift type thingus that still has a good shift detent feel if it's only driving a sensor that runs the transmission electronics.

There's a surprising amount of logic that goes into synchronizing the selector and the actual transmission results and blocking disallowed shifts, too. It's a pain in the rear end.

(I'm working on exactly this kind of control system right now at work. It's surprisingly complex, and condensing it down and keeping the system as simple as possible with as few failure modes as possible takes a lot of thought.)

Suffice to say I think a knob to select PRNDL is retarded.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Voice-controlled transmissions are the future. "Ok Google, 3rd gear."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hold that the column shifter is superior if you're going to have an automatic. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Edsel had it all figured out with pushbuttons. Everyone loves buttons. But they're a little out of date these days. Maybe buttons on a touchscreen inside? Or no, wait, I've got it -- gestures! Swipe up to shift up, pinch to put it in sport mode, draw a circle for the ignition. It's gold. I'm going to the patent office right now.

e: it was already patented, look for it in MY2017

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 20, 2014

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Sagebrush posted:

The Edsel had it all figured out with pushbuttons. Everyone loves buttons. But they're a little out of date these days. Maybe buttons on a touchscreen inside? Or no, wait, I've got it -- gestures! Swipe up to shift up, pinch to put it in sport mode, draw a circle for the ignition. It's gold. I'm going to the patent office right now.

e: it was already patented, look for it in MY2017

pushbuttons you say?

new acura TLX, only available on the V6.

im actually looking at getting one

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I say paddles on everything. Even if you only use them to tick between PRND it's more fun than a knob and less intrusive than any sort of lever and easier to use than a touchscreen or buttons.

edit: This is terrible car stuff because paddles are terrible.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 20, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I still don't see what's wrong with having a gear shift where you select which gear you want to be in. :iiam:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just put it on a rotating lever that locks by being pulled back in by a spring. Different form factor than radio controls, can't be accidentally engaged, still recessed when not in use.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alighieri posted:

pushbuttons you say?

new acura TLX, only available on the V6.

If you're gonna have push buttons, you gotta spell it out.

Here's a whole page of them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have this argument at movie theaters all the time...

:)"I'd like a small soda."

:haw: "A large is only a quarter more!"

:) "But I want a small not a large..."

:confused: "It's such a good deal though. Are you sure?"

I dunno. At the theater I'm getting a large for 25 cents more. I'll just share it instead of buying 2 smalls.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Buttons? Knobs? Touchscreens? Yuck.

I hate automatics in general (had no other option in my last car), but there is nothing quite so satisfying as committing the correct sequence of pushing and releasing the lockout button to muscle memory so you can move the shifter from P to D or vice versa in one fluid motion without looking or having to hold the button in the entire time and risk overshooting.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't own any automatics, but in the few I've driven, the button was pretty optional; more important for the P to D shift was pressing the brake pedal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, AzAutohaus. I need to find a warehouse locally that allows pickup.

Way back in '06 when I had my old Volvo 240, they let me pick up parts for it there. However, the brake pads for my Miata had to be shipped since I guess they didn't actually stock them in their own inventory.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dissss posted:

Road head.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I like how the Prius V handles it, just a little lever/switch thing that doesn't take up a whole bunch of space:

Bad shift knob/picture handling:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hold that the column shifter is superior if you're going to have an automatic. :colbert:

:getin:

All the bench seat space and still doesn't get mistaken for an AC knob.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

razorscooter posted:

I like how the Prius V handles it, just a little lever/switch thing that doesn't take up a whole bunch of space:

What the hell is B? I had a prius rental for a few weeks after my RX-8 got rear-ended but I didn't know what the hell it was.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

What the hell is B? I had a prius rental for a few weeks after my RX-8 got rear-ended but I didn't know what the hell it was.

From Yahoo Answers

"'B' mode is appropriate when descending long grades (i.e. descending down a mountain road), where if the driver uses the brake pedal to control the vehicle's speed, the vehicle's brake pads will overheat and fail. "

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Wasabi the J posted:

:getin:

All the bench seat space and still doesn't get mistaken for an AC knob.

And as long as you know how to count, it doesn't matter if the indicator doesn't work. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EbolaIvory posted:

I dunno. At the theater I'm getting a large for 25 cents more. I'll just share it instead of buying 2 smalls.

That implies I have friends...:(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

"'B' mode is appropriate when descending long grades (i.e. descending down a mountain road), where if the driver uses the brake pedal to control the vehicle's speed, the vehicle's brake pads will overheat and fail. "

Which is just low gear in any other car on the planet, I guess Toyota felt the need to rename it because it doesn't have a traditional transmission.

It behaves a little differently too, with the foot off the gas the car basically puts the regenerative system at max. Above a certain speed it also uses the gas engine for an engine brake effect. If you want to accelerate you can just hit the gas pedal and it'll drive normally until you lift.

Someday I want to take our Prius down a mountain, see what the car does if the battery ever hits 100% charged and it gets to a point where it's unsafe to continue trying to charge it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

szidev posted:

Only thing more American than Double Gulp-capable cup holders is a center console gun safe.

Pff. Look at this scrub. I just had the place that converted the cop car leave the rifle clamp in.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HDC posted:

And the car is a Volvo C70 I think

Worse, it's a Volkswagen Beetle.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

CharlesM posted:

Terrible car stuff, by me.

Turned in too sharply into the parking garage. :(

I did this too, the other week :( Turned too wide and scraped the corner of the front fender against a cement planter.

What's the best way to get this sort of damage fixed? It's a pretty minor scrape but I'd like to get it fixed up if I can and am wary of getting ripped off or getting poor service as I don't really have any experience with this sort of repair work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cyberia posted:

I did this too, the other week :( Turned too wide and scraped the corner of the front fender against a cement planter.

What's the best way to get this sort of damage fixed? It's a pretty minor scrape but I'd like to get it fixed up if I can and am wary of getting ripped off or getting poor service as I don't really have any experience with this sort of repair work.

Personally I'd just leave it if it was really low and on a plastic part. poo poo happens and that's why those panels are plastic.

Edit: oh you said fender. Did it scratch all the way to the metal? Clean it and put rubbing compound on it the same way you would put on wax. It should mostly just buff out. Then use touch up paint on the area that is down to the metal. If it's dented try a PDR guy and then rubbing compound/touch up paint.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

A little late to auto chat, but our LMTVs and MTVs in the Army have these badboys:

Push button, wait for clunk.