Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It doesn't hit the entire arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

God I hate the Stray Demon so much. An attack that hits the entire arena even though the hitbox is like a fifth of it? Yes please!

When you see him raise his club vertically, back up a few meters behind the demon. The AOI is mostly in front of the attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manslaughter posted:

It doesn't hit the entire arena.

Six light dodge rolls away from the horizontal one and it still hit me. Breaking lock-on and sprinting and it still hit me. The vertical ones are easily dodgeable but that horizontal explosion is a bitch. Especially since it seems to ignore my shield half the time. He's actually the only guy I didn't beat my first runthrough of the game; only now and on my second run.

Would it be worth it to make my falchion +15 or lightning infuse it instead? I remember they nerfed it eventually but don't remember how.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Stray Demon is a boss I feel much better to play naked, if only because you want the super light weight to roll left/right faster. Get behind him, wait for his explosion attack, get an attack or two, repeat. The hard part is patience because sub-level 50 it's going to take a long time to whittle him down.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The real hard part is the start when you drop down, then it's a race to see if you can get behind him before his attack is completed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Six light dodge rolls away from the horizontal one and it still hit me. Breaking lock-on and sprinting and it still hit me. The vertical ones are easily dodgeable but that horizontal explosion is a bitch. Especially since it seems to ignore my shield half the time. He's actually the only guy I didn't beat my first runthrough of the game; only now and on my second run.

Would it be worth it to make my falchion +15 or lightning infuse it instead? I remember they nerfed it eventually but don't remember how.

Run to the walls. It does not hit the entire arena.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress you Iron Golem stop punting me off the arena. This run is a trainwreck compared to my battlemage run.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Run to the walls. It does not hit the entire arena.

I didn't make it before it blew me up, sprinting or rolling as fast as possible from the moment I saw the windup.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't make it before it blew me up, sprinting or rolling as fast as possible from the moment I saw the windup.

If you back away, you will generally get hit or need to block it. As other people said, generally stay behind it. On the version where he swings the staff sideways, he'll swing from his left to his right and the shockwave will emanate from his right. So you generally want to run past and behind him to his left.
You want to be doing this before he actually swings, not in reaction. Don't hang out in front of him.
Though, even then as long as you're fairly close to him, you have enough time to get around his left side when you see the windup. Make sure to unlock your targeting when you do.

When starting the fight, its generally better to roll towards him for this reason. Landing, and then backing away and running puts you in the sweet spot range of most of his attacks, and since he's near the center or the arena, you usually don't have enough space to get far enough away. Don't back up unless you're already really far away.

Once you're behind him, you can more or less stay behind him for the entire fight, and then its just about not getting too greedy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

If you back away, you will generally get hit or need to block it. As other people said, generally stay behind it. On the version where he swings the staff sideways, he'll swing from his left to his right and the shockwave will emanate from his right. So you generally want to run past and behind him to his left.

I spent most of the fight hugging his butt, but whenever he did a ground pound or melee attack he'd reorient, then do the horizontal attacks I couldn't dodge, and even being behind him when he did them it hit me (the vertical ones I could back up off his rear end and evade). The actual start of the fight wasn't really an issue except one time where he opened with an explosion. Like I said I already beat him, I just really loving hate him. I have more trouble with that rear end in a top hat than Bed of Chaos.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hated him at first, but I had a much easier time with him once I stopped locking on. Makes it trivial to stick to his rear end and avoid pretty much all of his damage.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If you have a decent magic shield it will serve you well to at least somewhat mitigate the AOE damage if you don't back away far enough.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

If you have a decent magic shield it will serve you well to at least somewhat mitigate the AOE damage if you don't back away far enough.

Oscar drops the Crest Shield which is 80% magic resist, it's a big clue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't really sure what the damage type was, that's good to know if I ever fight him again. But I may just snap my disk in half if the loving Anor Londo snipers don't stop shooting arrows at me that somehow make me moonwalk or ricochet me 90 degrees to the right.

e: There we go, christ. Dark Souls 2's definitely babytown frolics compared to this.

e: Ok what's the deal with the game delaying backstabs by a couple seconds after I've pressed the button then turning it into a regular attack right as a normal enemy attacks because it's making the silver knights a lot more tedious than they need to be.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 19, 2014

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It's kinda funny how much hatred everyone has when they do the Anor Londo archers, and then you go and watch a speedrun and realize that if you just keep walking up the buttresses and parry the dude on the right that it's pretty easy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do people just walk up there? I would figure like hours before anor londo, you learn to deal with projectiles by just going faster.

If anything's frustrating in Anor Londo, it's those loving Bat Demons that have insane backstep distances with lightning infused weapons and overheads.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can knock some of them off the edge and most of the others can be sniped easily. Though that double bat demon trap just before the archer bridge can catch new people.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

piratepilates posted:

It's kinda funny how much hatred everyone has when they do the Anor Londo archers, and then you go and watch a speedrun and realize that if you just keep walking up the buttresses and parry the dude on the right that it's pretty easy.
You don't even need to parry him, just have a shield with at least medium deflection and he should bounce himself off into space after a few swings.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can sprint up to the archers easily enough usually, but I had the unfortunate realization up when I finally stopped getting pingponged off the level in random directions (seriously how do I get shot in the back and get launched to the right) that the falchion doesn't have the kick.

Also holy poo poo Ornstein isn't poo poo after fighting him so much in DS2. And Smough is easy to avoid. How did these guys gently caress me over for like two-three hours straight the first time?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Is there a Bloodborne thread yet? Someone else has to be freaking out over this new footage.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Hatter106 posted:

Is there a Bloodborne thread yet? Someone else has to be freaking out over this new footage.

Yep.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641895

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Stray Demon was wrecking my poo poo early on because when I returned there (discovered how to get back there on my own, no less!) I immediately thought, "Oh hey, another one of these pissant demons" and promptly got laid out by that magical AOE attack. Even with the Crest Shield, I hadn't quite gotten the "dance" right with the guy, so I went to do other things. When I returned 9 or 10 levels later, it was fairly simple to kill him--there was a sweet spot to getting him to use his AOE attack, which takes a long time to charge up and covers a surprisingly small area. Goad him into doing it, he'll run through the animations during which time you can hit him 2 or 3 times, and then back pedal far enough to avoid the attack's effect. Repeat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There is probably no more infuriating enemy than the multiple Bone Skeletons in the Painted World well. A single one wrecks a 70 stability shield and if a 2nd one sniffs at you, you're dead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I happened to be using a tower shield of some sort (The Giant's one? The Black Iron? One of those two) during that encounter and yeah, I can definitely see where they could quickly become a handful. They come whirring out of the darkness and just rapidly drill into your defenses before you know what to do. They killed me once and on the second attempt, I just slowly crept through the place, shield up, and took most of them out one at a time. I think I was using a +5 Man-Serpent Greatsword or something.

My personal infuriating enemy are those goddamned royal Brass Giants right before O&S. I play a slower character, so I struggle to outmaneuver their perpetual defenses and hit them while they're exposed. Generally it's not such a problem because you can whittle the ordinary giants down when they whiff/misstep, but those goddamned royal versions heal themselves, undoing any progress I've made. I'm not always patient enough to deal with them.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 20, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My personal infuriating enemy are those goddamned royal Brass Giants right before O&S. I play a slower character, so I struggle to outmaneuver their perpetual defenses and hit them while they're exposed. Generally it's not such a problem because you can whittle the ordinary giants down when they whiff/misstep, but those goddamned royal versions heal themselves, undoing any progress I've made. I'm not always patient enough to deal with them.

I managed to get into a stupid dance with them on one of the staircases on the side where they would both go up the stairs, I'd nearly kill them, they'd trip over each other trying to get to me, one of them would fall off the stairs and heal, then it would repeat with the other falling off after. To make it worse the catch pole's first R1 attack aims directly at their shield from the front so I couldn't hurt them on those stairs except from the side, meaning I had to go up the second flight and start poking. The Lightning Falchion I made may have taken all the scaling off, but the split damage is handy now, and at 180/180 is almost on par with the pole, but twice as fast. So I don't regret that at all! And the longbow I'm going to make into a Darkmoon bow isn't that great anyway so who cares, and I already have 9 demon titanite. I'm considering making the dragonslayer spear but I'm not really sure if it'd be worth it at 16 strength and 30 faith.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was summoned into another player's world and they were in the middle of a fight with one of the giants. I was in the middle of my praise the sun pose as the giant and the host were on the staircase dancing with each other.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I finally got to see Sif for the first time. He proceeded to kick my rear end because I didn't realize that he was a boss that you don't really want to try blocking against. Died, so I guess I am going to go back to the Undead Asylum to get the ring and then fight the hydra.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A good shield is perfect for Sif. You just hold it up at all times until you can get under him where he can't hit you.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

blackguy32 posted:

So I finally got to see Sif for the first time. He proceeded to kick my rear end because I didn't realize that he was a boss that you don't really want to try blocking against. Died, so I guess I am going to go back to the Undead Asylum to get the ring and then fight the hydra.

When she goes for her circular slash attacks, roll underneath her, hit her once or twice (depending on your stamina level) and block her shoryuken. She'll jump back, which should give you enough time to heal and regain enough stamina to block her follow-up charge attack. The only attack that can gently caress you up real bad is her guard breaking three-hit combo. To survive that poo poo, block the first two hits and quickly roll underneath her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since I was in the area I killed the crystal golem that drops the broken pendant. It didn't drop it, though. I hadn't gone and rescued Dusk yet. I didn't just gently caress myself out of playing the dlc again did I?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Since I was in the area I killed the crystal golem that drops the broken pendant. It didn't drop it, though. I hadn't gone and rescued Dusk yet. I didn't just gently caress myself out of playing the dlc again did I?

No, he endlessly respawns. He'll drop it after you save dusk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

No, he endlessly respawns. He'll drop it after you save dusk.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if he was unique or not. That's good!

e: There is something seriously wrong with the 360 version now. It delays my rolls sometimes, if it ever recognizes it. It only occasionally cares that I have my shield up. It's like the game randomly gets like a second or two of input lag, but it delays the actual actions as well. I mean gently caress just now against the Sanctuary Guardian I go to roll, the character stands there, I get hit, then the guardian goes into the air to shoot lightning, THEN it recognizes I pressed the B button and rolls out of the way. What the gently caress is that?

e: Oh for gently caress's sake I seriously can't use Sunlight Blade with either the lightning falchion or catch pole? This entire run is a mistake.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You want Darkmoon Blade I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You want Darkmoon Blade I think.

Well I killed that guy for his bow. :smith:

Also wow, the Falchion is absolute garbage. Oh boy a total of 30 damage to Artorias! And none of the straight swords dropped so I have the rear end, the catch pole (which can at least do 75 damage so that's something), and the lightning falchion. I have zero chunks to make something else not garbage with. I hosed up everything possible on this run. Dex sucks and is dumb and I hate it. <:mad:>

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I killed that guy for his bow. :smith:

Also wow, the Falchion is absolute garbage. Oh boy a total of 30 damage to Artorias! And none of the straight swords dropped so I have the rear end, the catch pole (which can at least do 75 damage so that's something), and the lightning falchion. I have zero chunks to make something else not garbage with. I hosed up everything possible on this run. Dex sucks and is dumb and I hate it. <:mad:>

Go to the catacombs, grab the great scythe. Upgraded it's a beast of a weapon and holy hell is it fun to use.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had a good experience with the iaito and quelaag's furysword my first playthrough. With no chunks your only option will be to go +10 or just grind the darkwraith guys which sucks, but they're probably better than the falchion (you could also revert it to a +10 falchion if you really need to, I was not impressed with lightning after it was nerfed).

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Resmith your falchion to +10 at any smith then farm chunks for +15, its like one of the best weapon to slap sunlight blade on!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, making your falchion lightning is dumb because lightning is not based on faith or dex. It doesn't even have scaling, it and fire are like elemental versions of raw infusion. Divine and occult weapons scale on faith in Dark Souls. It's probably also why you can't use Sunlight Blade on it since the falchion can be enchanted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, making your falchion lightning is dumb because lightning is not based on faith or dex. It doesn't even have scaling, it and fire are like elemental versions of raw infusion. Divine and occult weapons scale on faith in Dark Souls. It's probably also why you can't use Sunlight Blade on it since the falchion can be enchanted.

Ugh, it looked like the raw damage from adding lightning was stronger than the scaling bonus. At +10, anyway. I guess I'll back out, grab the scythe and see if I like that, downgrade the falchion, see if I can't grind chunks anywhere, and see how that goes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Ugh, it looked like the raw damage from adding lightning was stronger than the scaling bonus. At +10, anyway. I guess I'll back out, grab the scythe and see if I like that, downgrade the falchion, see if I can't grind chunks anywhere, and see how that goes.

Chunks can be ground in New Londo and the two giants I front of biggie smalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Great Sycthe has some stupid amount of riposte damage if that's your thing, but it's basically the equivalent of a a claymore's area range combined with the longest spear, with a halberd's attack. For a dex weapon of all things.

• Locked thread