Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

BBJoey posted:

Please try not to be offended by a joke on the somethingawful dot com games subforum.

The thing is that people often try to make such arguments completely seriously so it's a bit hard to tell sometimes. If it was meant as a joke then my bad V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

A long good look at the map there, like how it plots out a path when you fast travel. The ladies are nightmare material.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This game is going to be amazing holy poo poo :aaa:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

The game is looking really loving great! Too great, in fact, since there's no way my old rig will run it :(

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_35_minutes_gameplay-32805_en.html

5gb uncompressed version. The long range views are amazing, most of The Witcher 2 felt really oppressive with how closed in with trees/fog/walls everything was, the only open bit was the beginning.

I really hope they've smoothed the interaction system in this, also it would be great if there wasn't crazy mouse lag.

Still, looks fantastic.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 19, 2014

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

God, the monster designs are easily one of the best aspects of this series. :allears:

And the music is just the right mix of beautiful and unsettling.

Edit: And while I hate to revive the sexism de-rail, there was at least one good example of a clever, powerful woman in Witcher 2:

Sure she was a minor character, but Geralt expressed legitimate admiration for her by the end of the Melitele's heart quest. And she wasn't revealed to be some evil backstabbing jezebel despite the hints that she was a lot more than she seemed.

No.44 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 20, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still reeled at how goddamn brutal the fights are. Dudes are just getting eviscerated in what looks like in the way your sword is being swung. I wish Bioware would take notes on this stuff. They talked about how they're making combat meatier but there's no hit reaction on enemies in that game.

Really drat impressive at how big the world is and how there seems to be no loading times when going indoors either. This makes me really excited for what they're going to do in that Cyberpunk game they're working on.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I'm stunned at how real the faces look for all the characters shown so far, there are a ton of small details and everyone feels unique. I'm really curious how they've generated so many faces for the world!

It's a small thing compared to the fighting, world size and graphic fidelity in general but the way everyone's eyes move and sparkle already makes the game much more immersive and visually impressive to me than just high res textures, etc.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I hope my 660Ti and i5 can handle the game. I don't feel like buying a new graphics card. Or I guess I could just be an adult and deal with playing on medium or high.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been planning on and am saving to buy a new computer in time for W3 to come out. No I'm not buying it for the game what are you talking about? Its just good timing!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Time for a new video card for Christmas! Sorry little 660, you were good but I don't know if you'd be able to handle this.

God, those faces and facial animations! Wanna play this game now.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

A long good look at the map there, like how it plots out a path when you fast travel. The ladies are nightmare material.

One of them looked like she had a lotus seed pod for an eye. :barf:

Game looks absolutely stunning.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Goddamn those Crones are ugly as sin.

Also that tree spirit was totally a good dude. :colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eddain posted:

Goddamn those Crones are ugly as sin.

Also that tree spirit was totally a good dude. :colbert:

The obvious Witcher path is kill them all.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Heliosicle posted:

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_35_minutes_gameplay-32805_en.html

5gb uncompressed version. The long range views are amazing, most of The Witcher 2 felt really oppressive with how closed in with trees/fog/walls everything was, the only open bit was the beginning.

I really hope they've smoothed the interaction system in this, also it would be great if there wasn't crazy mouse lag.

Still, looks fantastic.

Regarding mouse lag, have you tried forcing triple buffering via D3DOverrider? That seemed to almost completely resolve the issue on my end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't like those crones at all. When I play I'm gonna try to find out more about that Tree Spirit instead of killing it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I like that the Crones turned out to be truly monstrous. When I first saw the tapestry, I thought they were going to end up like the vampires in Witcher 1 or succubus in Witcher 2.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

grrarg posted:

I like that the Crones turned out to be truly monstrous. When I first saw the tapestry, I thought they were going to end up like the vampires in Witcher 1 or succubus in Witcher 2.

They did seem to be a bit more monstrous than anything we ever encountered in the books, but it certainly makes for interesting visual imagery.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
How much of the Witcher fantasy world is Slavic mythology inspired? Like are godlings and Silent Hill-esque crones a staple in their folktales?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

theDOWmustflow posted:

How much of the Witcher fantasy world is Slavic mythology inspired? Like are godlings and Silent Hill-esque crones a staple in their folktales?

I think all of it?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They apparently even have Deep Ones in the form of Vodyanoi.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What are any of these things like "godlings" and "Vodyanoi" to the uncultured american swine like myself?

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
The crones look amazing, 11/10 would bang, I think one of them was wearing heels though, smh

I really do think that the character design was perfectly backwoods-mythos themed though, that sort of filthy, misshapen possibly-diseased aesthetic makes it all the more disgusting and eerie.

buildmorefarms fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 20, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
As for the crones and slavic mythology, they are very slavic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Bilibin

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The ladies seemed to me to be a darker take on the Norns of norse mythology. Though the concept of the triple goddesses (the maiden, the mother and the crone) is hardly exclusive to any mythology.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dream Attack posted:

I'm stunned at how real the faces look for all the characters shown so far, there are a ton of small details and everyone feels unique. I'm really curious how they've generated so many faces for the world!

Eastern European game development being a gently caress ton cheaper than the western equivalent probably has something to do with it. :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Eastern European game development being a gently caress ton cheaper than the western equivalent probably has something to do with it. :v:

I don't think that's the only reason. If that would be the case they wouldn't be able to afford expats. Hardware and software costs are identical, maybe location and other services are cheaper, but it's likely half of what Ubisoft France has to pay rather than 1/10th.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Really liking the music that kicks in when the witcher enters the hut with the mural, seems appropriately maddening and feverish for what's happening. I guess that's just video editting but it would be fitting in-game too.

Also: "have you got bollocks?"

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game is going to be awesome.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I agree with Johnny's stance on morning shits.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
It is too bad I don't like the combat in the witcher games because I still think the witcher 2 looks gorgeous. I tried to play both games several times (quit every time during the swamp in Witcher 1) and in Witcher 2 I never make it past like the 2nd or 3rd town. I really want to like this series and I think that after seeing that 35 minute video they may have a more enjoyable game this time around. Time will tell considering combat is one of the worst parts of the series in my opinion.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One of the crones has that lotus thing for an eye, look forward to many goon tears regarding this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Meowbot posted:

It is too bad I don't like the combat in the witcher games because I still think the witcher 2 looks gorgeous. I tried to play both games several times (quit every time during the swamp in Witcher 1) and in Witcher 2 I never make it past like the 2nd or 3rd town. I really want to like this series and I think that after seeing that 35 minute video they may have a more enjoyable game this time around. Time will tell considering combat is one of the worst parts of the series in my opinion.

No joke, that swamp is what puts me off replaying the Witcher 1. I can ignore the ageing graphics and uninteresting combat, but not those god-damned swamps.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gilganixon posted:

No joke, that swamp is what puts me off replaying the Witcher 1. I can ignore the ageing graphics and uninteresting combat, but not those god-damned swamps.

Pro-Tip: Drawing your silver sword makes you run faster. This information becomes very important in that loving swamp.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

fspades posted:

Pro-Tip: Drawing your silver sword makes you run faster. This information comes to be very important in that loving swamp.

And, except for the tower in the middle, the swamp is completely open. No need to follow the trails, just run straight for the objectives.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I never got why so many people hated the swamp. You can just run straight to your objective, kiting all the drowners that want to eat you.
Then, when you arrive where you wanted to go, you can kill one Bloedzuiger and watch everything explode in a chain reaction :3:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How long until there is a mod to make the crones sexy?

Or will this game not be skyrim-dragons-with-boobs modable?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jose Teixeira, CD Projekt RED‘s Visual Effects Artist posted:

Ideally, we’re pushing for 30 frames per second. The resolution, honestly, it depends; we’re working on it, we’re trying to get it as high as possible. If we can make it at 1080P, sure, but I don’t know if it’s going to make it. To be honest, I really don’t know. Probably not. But for sure, we need it to run at a smooth frame rate, so at least 30 FPS.
We’re doing optimization right now and I have to say, it’s actually running quite well. To be honest, we were expecting a lot worse. When we first started playing on PS4 and XB1, we expected the game not to work at all, because it was so heavy, so we were expeciting it to crash, but it’s actually running. It’s not quite there yet, but it’s running. So I think that with a little more optimization, I think we’ll get it running really well.

Given choice I'd pick smooth game over higher res, I just hope my PC (i7-920, HD7970) will be up to task of getting at least consoles level of details in full HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If anyone is planning on upgrading their GPU for this game (I know I am) then it would probably be wise to wait a bit more because the Nvidia Geforce 800 series should be out before the end of the year, maybe even as soon as next month.

• Locked thread