Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't think Tyranids have as much to fear from Force weapons as others. They have a pretty sizeable dice pool themselves and most major targets will get a bonus for either a) being a Psyker or b) being a better Psyker. The Mindstrike grenade is pretty good though, even if it has a 1/6 chance of backfiring and making their target go SSJ2 for a turn.

Force weapons are a buff, so you need 6s no matter what. It's just the more dice, the more you miscast, which lets shadows actually work.

EDIT: With Hammer being +2 strength, you really need to dispel either hammer or force... otherwise bad things happen to MCs.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Did Mordrak get changed at all? I liked GK for the henchmen shenanigans, so the new codex forces me to completely redo my army, including my 2 solodins. Even had more henchmen than power armor dudes fully painted up. Well gently caress.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How do Psilencers work on Dreadknights? Can they actually take two of the same gun?

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Did Mordrak get changed at all? I liked GK for the henchmen shenanigans, so the new codex forces me to completely redo my army, including my 2 solodins. Even had more henchmen than power armor dudes fully painted up. Well gently caress.

I'm sorry for your loss.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Nids in an escalation league kicking off next month. It's starting at 750pts, Battleforged lists only, with no flyers allowed (they come in at 1,000pts). Whatever I build into my list needs to be used for the rest of the campaign.

I was going to run:

Tyrant w/ 2x BLDevs
3 x Hive Guard
3 x Warriors w/ Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler
5 x Genestealers
Exocrine
Biovore

This is pretty shooty should do okay-ish, right?

Having said that, I'm toying with going for a full assault MC army. It might be pointless but it should be hard to stop:

Swarmlord
5 x Genestealers
5 x Genestealers
Malanthrope
Carnifex w/ 2x ST
Carnifex w/ 2x ST

I would probably expand this with the goal of getting the Manufactorum Genestealers formation and the Subterranean Swarm one as well.

Just how stupid is going all assault?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.
^Post of the day

Still limited to only one of each gun. 12 shots is still a silly rate of fire. You could always go for a full unit of Paladins with 4 Psylencers if you really want to throw a bucket of 'don't fail your save!' at the enemy.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do Psilencers work on Dreadknights? Can they actually take two of the same gun?

Dreadnights could take two special guns but they couldn't double up on the same gun in the 5e codex.

TKIY posted:

Just how stupid is going all assault?

Pretty stupid and bad. You will get blown away long before you ever get into CC. Tyranids are fragile in general and without any sort of shooting to back them up, their CC units will just get shredded from a distance just trying to get across the table. Once you get into CC range you have to deal with middling armor saves vs. rapid fire guns. It's not a good combo.

The first list is pretty close to my "base" Tyranid list which also has assault units thrown in but it's mainly a "shoot at things from a distance and scare my opponent with a few huge CC threat units". The shooting tends to get a lot of work done because whoever I'm playing against breaks their focus on the Synapse models (Warriors, Zoanthropes, FHT) and starts going after the Trygon/Mawloc, or the Swarmlord with his bodyguards, or the full Carnifex brood, etc.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 20, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I made a Tyranid list with assault warriors with a prime, genestealers, hormagaunts, raveners and trygons. Did it for fun to see how it would do.

I was tabled without killing a single enemy unit.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Full-assault lists are pretty bad no matter what army you're playing. The few who can get away with it are White Scars bikers because they're tough and fast, whereas most Tyranid units only have one of those traits. Poor Raveners and Shrikes :smith:

TKIY posted:

I'm playing Nids in an escalation league kicking off next month. It's starting at 750pts, Battleforged lists only, with no flyers allowed (they come in at 1,000pts). Whatever I build into my list needs to be used for the rest of the campaign.
That campaign setup kicks you in the teeth pretty bad. The only solid HQ option Tyranids have is the Flyrant which sucks since you can't use it until 1000pts, so you're forced to take a considerably less effective walking Tyrant or waste points on any other HQ option which will likely end up being dead weight for the rest of the campaign.
You should probably talk to whoever's in charge and ask if you can at least upgrade the walking Tyrant to have wings alter on.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

so I just mocked up my first Dark Eldar list. I'm trying to use models I have (raider, venom, 2x ravagers, wyches, succubus)

it is 1250 points

code:
archon with agoniser, ghostplate armour, PGL [goes with incubi]

succubus with agoniser, haywire grenades [goes with wyches]

6x wyches with haywire grenades, hekatrix, agoniser, PGL
raider with flickerfield, disintegrator

kabalite warriors with blaster
venom with splinter cannon

kabalite warriors with blaster

4x incubi

3x trueborn each with blaster

reavers with heat lance

ravager with flickerfield

ravager with flickerfield
should I be worried about not having a good way of taking down fliers? should I buy a razorwing? does my list suck?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

HiveCommander posted:

Full-assault lists are pretty bad no matter what army you're playing. The few who can get away with it are White Scars bikers because they're tough and fast, whereas most Tyranid units only have one of those traits. Poor Raveners and Shrikes :smith:

That campaign setup kicks you in the teeth pretty bad. The only solid HQ option Tyranids have is the Flyrant which sucks since you can't use it until 1000pts, so you're forced to take a considerably less effective walking Tyrant or waste points on any other HQ option which will likely end up being dead weight for the rest of the campaign.
You should probably talk to whoever's in charge and ask if you can at least upgrade the walking Tyrant to have wings alter on.

I'm going through a similar campain, just brought a tervigon that becomes a troop choice when i can Flyrant. Violates 0 rules because the list doesnt change.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In our league you can upgrade so wings on the tyrant is no trouble later.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oh, that's all good then. I'd personally stick with the Tyrant to upgrade later, but if the Tervigon idea tickles your fancy it's viable as well. I'm still turned off on the Tervs after the heavy nerf they received in the latest codex though, but your experience may differ.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Think about this for a sec:

10 Paladins with 4 Psylencers with an attached Divination Librarian and hope for Misfortune. Cast Misfortune on something that you really want to die (Wraithknight, high-armour multi-wound models etc) and let those sweet, sweet rending hits put the fear of the Emperor into anything without an armour value or rerollable invulnerable save. 24 dice (with rerolls from the Divination primaris) is bound to give you enough to-wound rolls that a couple of 6's will come up.

:getin:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

10 Paladins with 4 Psylencers with an attached Divination Librarian and hope for Misfortune. Cast Misfortune on something that you really want to die (Wraithknight, high-armour multi-wound models etc) and let those sweet, sweet rending hits put the fear of the Emperor into anything without an armour value or rerollable invulnerable save. 24 dice (with rerolls from the Divination primaris) is bound to give you enough to-wound rolls that a couple of 6's will come up.

Paylancers are rending? How many points is that? What are the odds of getting misfortune?

You are insane.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Misfortune gives all attacks against the affected unit Rending. It's a stupid amount of points, but it'd be so worth it to instagib a Wraithknight by doing it

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
The combo doesn't sound so great when you consider there's a 1 in 2 chance you don't get misfortune and that you have to cast 2-3 powers to get it to work (Misfortune, Force and perhaps Prescience).

I would take Psycannons on my Paladins any day unless tailoring against something with a lot of MCs.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

It's almost seeming like the GK are getting a similar treatment as the Militarum Tempestus and Inquisition. It's like they're being aimed more at being a supplemental/ally codex than a full stand alone army.

I was actually half considering allying some in with my casual gaming DA and fluffing it as their recruiting worlds having a higher than normal psyker count anyway, so I guess I might pick up the update if they'll still at least work in that capacity.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
It's not that bad as Inquisition or MT, which have only 2-3 units each. GK are given the Sisters treatment - an almost-full list of units, but no interest and a quick hackjob. I'll be damned if I know why, they were one of the best 5th edition armies and they have a ton of players.

It's like GW just wanted to squeeze 40 more euros from a part of its player base and had no better idea how to do it.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

Instead of Paladins, it would be much cheaper to do this with Purgators or Purifiers, both of which can take good numbers of heavy weapons in a squad. (They lack Relentless, though, which can be a bit of an issue.) You could also do it with the Gattling Silencer of the Dreadknight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Twisted posted:

I believe mantic do some decent, pretty much correct scale, cheap zombies.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead/product/undead-zombie-swarm-40-figures.html
E: £25 for 40, square bases though, but that's fixable.

Hollismason posted:

I'll need a US distributor. Those look great and what I want.

Just need the Zombie models.

Those are good, but if you wait a couple weeks Mantic will have these out to suit your Nurgle zombie guardsmen needs

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Play Inquisition then! It's actually the same as what GK used to be.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

Those are good, but if you wait a couple weeks Mantic will have these out to suit your Nurgle zombie guardsmen needs

Yes but will they come in a box of 60 is the question.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They will almost certainly come in a giant box.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

In the Deadzone KS they were selling them in boxes of 20 for $15, or 80 for $45, can't imagine that won't continue at same or similar prices.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not to mention the 30% discount for web sellers.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I finished some Orks :toot:

Warboss on a Blitzbike.

Warbuggies with rokkit launchas. Got two more of those to build and paint, as well as a painboy on a bike.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

that rust looks very realistic! what did you to use to get that effect?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

These are cool. Orks should be all about the conversions.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

that rust looks very realistic! what did you to use to get that effect?

Dry pigments and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I put the pigment in a small medicine cup and gradually added the alcohol until it came to an almost wash-like consistency. The models were hit with gloss varnish before I did this to not only protect the underlying paint, but to make the pigment slide smoother into the crevices.

I used two layers of pigment: one a rusty orangy-red, and another a yellow. The tires were done with a sienna pigment, similarly watered down. It's all really easy and produces some fantastic effects with minimal effort.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Those orks rule.

They remind me I need to get back onto my Firetrukk project. Has stalled a bit while I figure out how to do firefighter helmets for my burnas and look for a properly size firetruck to loot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Esser-Z posted:

Those orks rule.

They remind me I need to get back onto my Firetrukk project. Has stalled a bit while I figure out how to do firefighter helmets for my burnas and look for a properly size firetruck to loot.

I don't even play orks, and this is why I love orks.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Slimnoid posted:

<3 these guys. Awesome work, mang.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don't even play orks, and this is why I love orks.
I'm taking my time because I really don't want to half-rear end the project. Will probably do a couple other conversions first to practice.

Orks are just so fun.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

I have a box of 80 (pretty sure its 80) of them from Halloween last year that I would be willing to sell. They are still on sprue and in their original box... PM me if interested.

They are basically the zombie kits and the corporate kits and you just mash em together.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

That Warboss on that converted jetbike is an absolute beast, I love him! The buggies suffer a little too much from the "this is a repurposed toy" thing a lot of converted Ork vehicles have, but your painting across the units is stellar as always.

the best at Pogs
Jul 6, 2011
Hey 40k thread,

I have some Eldar collecting dust that I'd like to turn into money on ebay. But I'm pretty clueless about prices these days so I need your help. Here's an imgur album of what I'm getting rid of http://imgur.com/a/eN1Kx

How much do you think I could get from these? Should I sell them as-is or strip the paint off? And should I sell the whole thing at once, or by unit? Let me know if you need clearer pics or anything. Thanks for your help dudes!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

forums enjoyer posted:

Hey 40k thread,

I have some Eldar collecting dust that I'd like to turn into money on ebay. But I'm pretty clueless about prices these days so I need your help. Here's an imgur album of what I'm getting rid of http://imgur.com/a/eN1Kx

How much do you think I could get from these? Should I sell them as-is or strip the paint off? And should I sell the whole thing at once, or by unit? Let me know if you need clearer pics or anything. Thanks for your help dudes!

I ebayed a ton of stuff at the end of last year, so here's my advice based on that:

Selling as a lot is a good way to unload stuff if you're looking to unload but will make you less money. Ebay doesn't charge per-item so there's little cost benefit to doing it, and usually people will be looking for substantial discounts for a lot - sell them in groups of what they are and people will be more willing to spend extra for the one unit they need.

Don't bother stripping them, I don't think you'd be making more (and may be able to sell them for more because the paint job's decent).

I'd sell them as:
3x Warlocks
3x Warlocks
5x Rangers (painted)
5x Rangers (unpainted)
Farseer
Autarch
Fire Dragons
Warp Spiders

Make sure you note there's combined shipping/to check out your other listings, it's cheaper for everyone involved and might cause people to grab stuff they wouldn't otherwise.
Price wise, I'd put an auction starting at 50% of retail with a buy-it of like 80%, unless you were hoping for a painting premium.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It just occurred to me that this Grey Knights book is the first time they finally went and did what some of us figured they might eventually and just flat out ripped some units out of the existing book and sold them separately as a dataslate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can finally justify getting a Landraider now sense Nurglings can ride inside them with Heralds. Just something that came up in discussion. I like the idea of a Chaos Land Raider vomiting out bases of Nurglings w/ Heralds attached to assault things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not 40k, but Nagash is coming back and the model looks not only huge, but a modern, more ridiculous, version of his old model.

• Locked thread