Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

syscall girl posted:

Please read The Talisman.

So if I was luke warm on Black House due to how much it switched back and forth between a serial "whodunnit" and all that weird poo poo with the factory powered with child labor, the dude with the long chin and one eye, the old man crawling down the toilet, ESP, the talking crow, the dog that turned people into jelly once he bit them , do you think I'd still like The Talisman? The best parts of Black House, to me, were the parts with the media dude, the bikers, the issues with cops, etc. The characters and the writing got me through it and less the things I spoilered above.

That book (Talisman) is a big bastard and I'd hate to slog through it just for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So if I was luke warm on Black House due to how much it switched back and forth between a serial "whodunnit" and all that weird poo poo with the factory powered with child labor, the dude with the long chin and one eye, the old man crawling down the toilet, ESP, the talking crow, the dog that turned people into jelly once he bit them , do you think I'd still like The Talisman? The best parts of Black House, to me, were the parts with the media dude, the bikers, the issues with cops, etc. The characters and the writing got me through it and less the things I spoilered above.

That book (Talisman) is a big bastard and I'd hate to slog through it just for the sake of it.

The Black House is actually a sequel to The Talisman so yes read it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Try it, if you made it through Black House and all that the worst thing you have to get through is a magic black man who gives Jack a, err potion of some kind.

It's a great quest/journey across America where there are alternate versions of characters from our world who live in a medieval fantasy type setting. Lots of parallels and also some differences and crossing over.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
What are some of his scarier short stories, preferably done in audiobook format. Something like "One for the road" which I enjoyed.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LolitaSama posted:

What are some of his scarier short stories, preferably done in audiobook format. Something like "One for the road" which I enjoyed.

"N", "The Boogeyman," "Night Shift," "I am the Doorway," "Cain Rose Up," and "Strawberry Spring." Go from there and ask again after you can sleep with the closet door open or worrying about your OCD.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Night Shift collection is probably his best, and I'd say that Skeleton Crew is #2.

ladyfingers they taste just like ladyfingers

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

"N", "The Boogeyman," "Night Shift," "I am the Doorway," "Cain Rose Up," and "Strawberry Spring." Go from there and ask again after you can sleep with the closet door open or worrying about your OCD.
gently caress me I read Night Shift and Pet Sematary back-to-back when I was about 14 and maaaan did that poo poo mess up my alone time.

I had about two and a half hours to myself before Dad got home from work. Used to be I'd get home from Junior High and rub one out, watch TV, eat a lot of cereal... then I was given those two books and instead I sat in the quiet house just reading, horrified by this trainwreck and the ghoulish backstory, and suddenly I was certain, dead sure (deadlights) that if I turned around and looked in the kitchen baby Gabe would be there. In his burial suit with the moss on the shoulders. There's be clods of dirt on the linoleum of the new house, and dirty footprints in the new "builder's beige" carpets.
And he'd be smiling at me.
And what would I do then? I got very cold. I felt all the hair on my arms stand straight up and I just looked at the page until the adrenaline dump passed. Then I looked in the kitchen, all was well, and I knew I was gonna read every S.K. book I could get my hands on.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly think the Talisman is up there with Where the Red Fern Grows and To Kill A Mockingbird as a coming of age tale that everyone should read between the ages of 12 to 16. I'm not saying it is on the same literary level as those two, but it is an amazing book with a very relatable main characterfor readers that age. I'm not sure how old you are but the Talisman wouldn't really have quite the same impact on me if I had read now as opposed to as a tween/teen. It is a really, really good book though and I highly reccomend reading it.

The Talisman and Black Houlse really remind me of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Chrono Trigger was an awesome game that everyone loved and blew them away. The sequel, Chrono Cross was set in the same universe but had completely different gamelplay and characters than Chrono Trigger. A lot of people compared to the first game which lead to it being seen as very inferior. It was a pretty good game, just not a good Chrono Trigger sequel.

Black House is like that. It is very, very different from the first book and a lot of people didn't like that. They were expecting the Talisman 2 but there was almost no traveling to the Territories and lots of characters from the first book were completely gone and never mentioned ( I was always dissapointed that Richard Sloat was a complete non entity in Black House).

The best parts of Black House are it's connections to the Talisman, so having not read the first would give you an unfavorable view of it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

LolitaSama posted:

The audio version of 1408, read by King himself, is legitimately loving scary.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

cheerfullydrab posted:

The audio version of 1408, read by King himself, is legitimately loving scary.

1408 always gets me because I have this weird nightmare of being stuck in really long, dimly lit hotel hallways. There's always something hiding at the far end where the hallway is the darkest too.

I have this irrational fear that I'm going to die in a hotel some day. There was this one creepypasta that was about a guy peaking into a closed off hotel room and only seeing red, then when he asked the clerk about it she said oh we don't let people go in there, some lady got murdered there and people say they see a ghost in there with red eyes. So the ghost was staring back through the peep hole :gonk:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Doltos posted:

Weird because I thought The Kid and Trashcan Man adventures were really good chapters that were decently scary. I do remember him saying a lot of the scenes with Franny and her mom were cut in the original.

I agree with you on those scenes, I just prefer the original overall because of the pacing. Some of the stuff that was cut and re-added for the uncut edition is good though, certainly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

rypakal posted:

I wonder if the original cuts out Frannie's worse moment, where she throws the autonomy of women under the bus.

Probably not because that was definitely something King believed at the time (loving SUSAN NORTON)

I think the Susan Stern etc. characters certainly are meant to provide a counterpoint, though probably less effective than King had intended.

One of the things I pointed out with post-apoc (aside from the religious aspect of it) as a genre (and this was in the CineD Dawn of the Planet of the Apes thread) is that "people manning up" is the "well-est-trod" trope in post-apoc. CineD "tactical realism" posters were pointing out how unlikely it was that the introvert son of the primary human character had survived because he hadn't "manned up".

"Manning up", of course, is masculine and chauvinist. It's not that King's being more chauvinist than the rest of the pack, it's just part and parcel with all the other uglier parts of this genre. And in fact, "No Great Loss" is actually both a good example of "(not) manning up" and good writing in general in The Stand.

And unfortunately, Susan Stern is basically described as a "manned up" butch lesbian (who nevertheless claims has womanly feelings for "Gary" Stu, though not seriously).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 19, 2014

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
never read the uncut version of The Stand but I cannot imagine the novel working without the romantic sex scene between The Kid and Trashcan Man

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wait, so Trashcan Man just didn't exist at all in the original release? Or he just shows up out of nowhere at the end toting a nuclear bomb?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait, so Trashcan Man just didn't exist at all in the original release? Or he just shows up out of nowhere at the end toting a nuclear bomb?

Nope - Trashcan man was there but the Kid was not. The Kid only appeared posthumously as an encounter on the Larry, Stu, Ralph and Glen's journey West.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

api call girl posted:

And unfortunately, Susan Stern is basically described as a "manned up" butch lesbian (who nevertheless claims has womanly feelings for "Gary" Stu, though not seriously).

Dana is the bisexual girl who likes Stu. Susan was her hetero friend who saved a puppy to breed with Kojak and make more puppies :3:

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

From an interview with David Kajganich about his ill-fated Pet Sematary remake script:

quote:

“After I turned in my first draft, Paramount went through a top-down regime change and I was given a new executive who had creative ideas I just couldn’t stand behind. They wanted to appeal to younger audiences, so there was talk of making a teenaged Ellie the main character, and etc. It was really heartbreaking, but that’s how the process works sometimes. The studio was gracious enough to let me out of my contract and the project was dormant at the studio until very recently.”

:catstare:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dana is the bisexual girl who likes Stu. Susan was her hetero friend who saved a puppy to breed with Kojak and make more puppies :3:

Whoops.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

From an interview with David Kajganich about his ill-fated Pet Sematary remake script:

More proof that, in order to be a movie/TV executive, you have to have no idea how movies or TV work.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mister Kingdom posted:

More proof that, in order to be a movie/TV executive, you have to have no idea how movies or TV work.

Bit of a tangent, but people should check out the Kevin Smith Superman rant on the ineptitude of executives.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bit of a tangent, but people should check out the Kevin Smith Superman rant on the ineptitude of executives.

His superman rant is the best story he's told since Dogma.

That loving punchline floors me every time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rypakal posted:

His superman rant is the best story he's told since Dogma.

That loving punchline floors me every time

His Prince story trumps everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZomOd9BeY

edit: gently caress. Why is this in the Stephen King thread? For a second I thought I'd hosed up and got my tabs mixed up.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This executive sounds stupid enough to be the creative genius behind the latest Carrie remake.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

savinhill posted:

This executive sounds stupid enough to be the creative genius behind the latest Carrie remake.

All I know is, he ain't the guy to get that fuckin' Timmy Baterman scene done right.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

savinhill posted:

I liked the Carrie remake :confuoot:

What was wrong with it?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

There was a deadman switch in the virus laboratory that was supposed to trigger a complete facility lockdown the moment containment on any of the samples was breached, but thanks to a one-in-a-million machine error, what was supposed to be a split-second reaction turned out closer to two minutes or something. In a one-in-a-million chance on top of that last one-in-a-million chance, one of the technicians noticed the clocks freezing to mark the time of breach and got out of there before the lockdown triggered, taking the contamination with him.

It's silly to think of any of that as divine intervention, and especially with the attempts at "containment" consisting of "murder everything and everyone that coughs louder than a flea's fart."

Yeah, apart from the fact gods profit said point blank god has chosen to destroy the world with sickness as he has down with water in the past and would do again with fire in the future..

(apologies for late reply, forgot the thread existed)

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Yeah, apart from the fact gods profit said point blank god has chosen to destroy the world with sickness as he has down with water in the past and would do again with fire in the future..

(apologies for late reply, forgot the thread existed)

I don't remember this from The Stand. Who was god's prophet (I assume that's what you mean) and do you remember what page that was on?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I don't remember this from The Stand. Who was god's prophet (I assume that's what you mean) and do you remember what page that was on?

In the tv show it was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. :allears:

He made a pretty freaky street preacher.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah just FYI, walking around saying what has already happened doesn't make you a prophet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pheeets posted:

Chapter 45:

quote:

Now most of the young folks and old folks were gone, and most of those in between. God had brought down a harsh judgment on the human race.

Some might argue with such a harsh judgment, but Mother Abagail was not among their number. He had done it once with water, and sometime further along, He would do it with fire. Her place was not to judge God, although she wished He hadn't seen fit to set the cup before her lips that He had.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I thought that might be what he meant, but I think it's pretty clear from the way it's written that it's only Abigail's interpretation, not what really happened in the world of the book. It rather strikingly points out how religious people can take the most prosaic and straightforward incidents and turn them into "acts of God". That's kind of a major point of the book, people using their religious beliefs to justify their actions, whether they rain down death on other people, or in Abigail's case, make them walk across the desert with no provisions. We saw how well that worked out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pheeets posted:

I thought that might be what he meant, but I think it's pretty clear from the way it's written that it's only Abigail's interpretation, not what really happened in the world of the book. It rather strikingly points out how religious people can take the most prosaic and straightforward incidents and turn them into "acts of God". That's kind of a major point of the book, people using their religious beliefs to justify their actions, whether they rain down death on other people, or in Abigail's case, make them walk across the desert with no provisions. We saw how well that worked out.

quote:

"He says ..." Ralph cleared his throat, the feather stuck in the band of his hat jiggled. "He says that he don't believe in God." The message relayed, he looked unhappily down at his shoes and waited for the explosion.

But she only chuckled, got up, and walked across to Nick. She took one of his hands and patted it. "Bless you, Nick, but that don't matter. He believes in you."

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

api call girl posted:

quote:

"He says ..." Ralph cleared his throat, the feather stuck in the band of his hat jiggled. "He says that he don't believe in God." The message relayed, he looked unhappily down at his shoes and waited for the explosion.

But she only chuckled, got up, and walked across to Nick. She took one of his hands and patted it. "Bless you, Nick, but that don't matter. He believes in you."

FWD:FWD:FW:FWD:FW: THERE WAS ONLY ONE SET OF FOOTPRINTS!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

It's funny. Just finished rereading The Stand, and no matter how many times I do, I always forget that Nick dies in the explosion. I think it's that he's so real to Tom on the trek back to Boulder that my brain decides it's Nick he's caring for, not Stu.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So the latest rumor floating around is that they're trying to get Matt McConaughey for Randall Flagg in the permanently-development-hell production that is WB's The Stand.

I can dig this man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

api call girl posted:

So the latest rumor floating around is that they're trying to get Matt McConaughey for Randall Flagg in the permanently-development-hell production that is WB's The Stand.

I can dig this man.

Yeah man, yeah.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Right on, right on.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

...m-my life for you? :confused:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

It's too bad that so many actors who would have been good are now too old to play the part. They should start casting people in utero to be sure they'll be up for it by the time the cameras roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I wasn't really impressed with the running man, but I've just finished the long walk and it was really good.