Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
what are you talking about the stock market is v rational. anyway i got a really bad ant problem, but i put a tiny little sign out next to my sugar bowl that says "this sugar is not valuable for a number of reasons" so i think that'll fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder that stocks are impossible to predict and it's impossible to tell if warren buffet is good or merely lucky

buffet basically has his own uncertainty principle going on where his very presence effects how the stock market works

this is only because he's worth several billion dollars though

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

post iun the apple is collapsing thread for stock chat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder that stocks are impossible to predict and it's impossible to tell if warren buffet is good or merely lucky

buffet doesn't play stocks though he buys companies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

buffet doesn't play stocks though he buys companies

no you don't understand it's IMPOSSIBLE!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its easy to be a 'good' 'investor' when you have billions of dollars, immense clout, notoriety, and a cult of personality

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
lol cremnob so mad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my understanding is for most of his career buffet bought companies that, if you liquidated them, would still be worth more than their market cap

idk if that's true or if he still does that (i assume no) but still

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

my understanding is for most of his career buffet bought companies that, if you liquidated them, would still be worth more than their market cap

idk if that's true or if he still does that (i assume no) but still

Buffett invests in companies that have solid product fundamentals but have operational efficiencies to unlock with access to capital and more financially savvy management. he buys companies to keeps them running and improve them and doesn't fire employees.

this is basically the opposite of corporate raiders that want to break up a company for quick profits.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

Buffett invests in companies that have solid product fundamentals but have operational efficiencies to unlock with access to capital and more financially savvy management. he buys companies to keeps them running and improve them and doesn't fire employees.

this is basically the opposite of corporate raiders that want to break up a company for quick profits.
yeah, apparently buffett beats the odds as an investor because hes not just investing, usually hes taking over and managing, and it seems he does have a replicable formula for success when it comes to building up underachieving (and underpriced) companies

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Management posted:

that jives with what i read about him, cool

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

let's not overlook the importance of the deal he cut with satan

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

let's not overlook the importance of the deal he cut with satan

buying a controlling share in the first three circles has been quite profitable

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

FMguru posted:

yeah, apparently buffett beats the odds as an investor because hes not just investing, usually hes taking over and managing, and it seems he does have a replicable formula for success when it comes to building up underachieving (and underpriced) companies

he (and munger) also still do a lot of stock investing (with the two stock guys he hired in the past few years), and it is still a significant part of BH, but unlike my title suggesting it's all about low price to book it's basically the amount of free cash flow the business can generate going forward, coupled with a solid understanding of the way the actual business functions so as to avoid mistakes and ensure the business has a competitive moat. if that all checks out you judge your potential future % gain based on the current stock price to determine if the value is there

in those cases he doesn't do any management or change anything at all (it's a stock investment just like you or i would make). however if i'm company management at, say, IBM i probably feel a bit of pressure knowing that he is picking up shares

it's actually pretty easy to understand what value investors like buffet are looking for but as another poster noted it's a super boring way to invest (reading sec filings blows) so most people just buy whatever is "hot" and ultimately lose money

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
verizowned

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i for one welcome our monopoly overlords to die in a fire

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

holy poo poo goog will be boned, the vast majority of android app sales/downloads go to people who don't have any idea "which store" to get stuff from, and the carriers will surely feature theirs front and center. even if they are presented equally average person will think "i use verizon better click this 'verizon store' button". worse for google is them losing a tracking metric for their mobile users (what apps does this person like so we can pass that to advertisers)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

holy poo poo goog will be boned, the vast majority of android app sales/downloads go to people who don't have any idea "which store" to get stuff from, and the carriers will surely feature theirs front and center. even if they are presented equally average person will think "i use verizon better click this 'verizon store' button". worse for google is them losing a tracking metric for their mobile users (what apps does this person like so we can pass that to advertisers)

lol u think this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
how many different app stores can you install on an anroid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
thats not a joke or anything it just seems like a profoundly lovely experience

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

we're almost circled back around to the j2me stores of yesteryear.

hail satan.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the play store is good. i get apps off it, and shows and stuff. they get shows and movies for good price rental like 3 bucks pretty quick idk how bt they do. shaggar convinced me to watcht he epic fail show THE LAST SHIP and i did it on the play store and also i bought the GI joe mobie when i was really durnk for 15 bucks in glorious hd. also i have both slingbox apps 1 tablet 1 phone those mother fuckers

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

thats not a joke or anything it just seems like a profoundly lovely experience

eventually someone will start curating app stores and charging a premium for it, leading to an app store store

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
welcome to the bap store

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

subscribe to verizon apps for only $4 a week and receive a new game and ringtone every month!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

how many different app stores can you install on an anroid

you can install as many as you please but your average person isn't going to use anything more than built in google store and maybe amazon store

ultramiraculous posted:

we're almost circled back around to the j2me stores of yesteryear.

nah

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

compuserved posted:

welcome to the bap store

ill take the engorged saggy black ones, please. thanks. do you take discover?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

compuserved posted:

welcome to the bap store

ill have a sausage bap

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Athletic Footjob posted:

ill have a sausage bap

mods pls

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait why the gently caress were carriers getting a revenue split in the first place?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait why the gently caress were carriers getting a revenue split in the first place?

i would bet carriers try to get money every chance they can

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

you can install as many as you please but your average person isn't going to use anything more than built in google store and maybe amazon store

until the carriers set up their shop on the home screen and relegate the play store to the app list

lol if you think the average poor that walks into a store and strides proudly out with their free flavor of the month android pos is going to have any idea there are stores, plural, they'll use the thing that is right there under the second clock

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

because anroid was only successful because carriers allowed them to be. i dont think people realize how much power carriers have and in every non-iphone phone, they're the customer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

shaggar convinced me to watcht he epic fail show THE LAST SHIP

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the last ship is so bad but its bad in a way that hasn't happened in decades.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the good guys are sooo loving good and the bad guys are so loving bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

the good guys are sooo loving good and the bad guys are so loving bad

is that the one where theres some weird virus and the people are on the boat and they want to stop the virus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the virus does not make zombies so its ahead of 99.9999999% of post apocalyptic stuff

• Locked thread