Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

JordanKai posted:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/tgs2014/index.html

Capcom's TGS line-up. Looks like Deep Down isn't going to be there.

Rest in peace.

Apparently the only non-3DS game on that page is a PSP+PSVita title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Megasabin posted:

This is a bit of a strange question, but can someone tell me what's so appealing about Destiny? It's getting way more hype than the average triple AAA game, and people really are making it seem like the must-get title.

From what I've seen and read it looks like Borderlands style quests/itemization with Halo-esque gameplay? I mean this sounds neat and all, but what about is making people get so incredibly punped up? What are some of it's unique features?

I was going to ask the same thing myself. I played a few hours of the alpha and it never clicked with me.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Feenix posted:

I see levels. (thats what I was doing.)

How do I determine class?

Press X on their name. It'll display their class.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JordanKai posted:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/tgs2014/index.html

Capcom's TGS line-up. Looks like Deep Down isn't going to be there.

Rest in peace.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 was leaked so this probably isn't the entire lineup.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you mostly answered your question. I think it's going to be great and I'm looking forward too it but it isn't really re inventing the wheel or anything. I think the alpha/beta also did a good job of selling it to a lot of people who were on the fence or confused how the game actually worked because of their ridiculous marketing. It's just going to be a fun Borderlands style shooter with a lot of polish and pretty graphics.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I think you mostly answered your question. I think it's going to be great and I'm looking forward too it but it isn't really re inventing the wheel or anything. I think the alpha/beta also did a good job of selling it to a lot of people who were on the fence or confused how the game actually worked because of their ridiculous marketing. It's just going to be a fun Borderlands style shooter with a lot of polish and pretty graphics.

It will fill the gap until the actual Borderlands sequel hits. The pre sequel bullshit is just that, and I will try to avoid buying it.
Actual borderlands on PS4 will be awesome and I can't wait.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has there been any word on this years Madden being decent? I haven't played a Madden in like 8 years but since this is the first one I believe developed for Next-Gen I'm slightly interested

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Abu Dave posted:

Has there been any word on this years Madden being decent? I haven't played a Madden in like 8 years but since this is the first one I believe developed for Next-Gen I'm slightly interested

I haven't played it in years, but I'm getting this one just to have a fun couch game to play with friends. I'm sure there will be issues (especially for people who play it every year), but I doubt if I will notice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's Borderlands done properly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm absolutely not a fan of the Halo type gameplay but I preordered the digital deluxe edition of Destiny for PS4 because after playing the alpha & beta I really liked the presentation & environments they showed off. Borderlands was kind of fun but most of that game looked gross. Some of the environments and views in the destiny are really awesome looking. You can tell they are putting a lot of work into it, and it is a very 'smooth' game.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ularg posted:

Just meaning that you could snap your TV to whatever game you're playing. Then again it's the Xbone so what game would you be playing?

(I really want to play Sunset Overdrive and that 4v1 Fables game)

I know it's been a while, but for me Fable kinda lost its appeal for me after the disaster that was Fable 3 and Sunset Overdrive looks like they looked at the cool and fun things about movement in Second Son and Saints 4 and just made it much slower and un-fun.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Actual borderlands on PS4 will be awesome and I can't wait.

Yeah Diablo 3 and Destiny are just an appetizer for the real main event, Borderlands 3 on the PS4. :getin:

Diablo 3 is fun so far. Lots of minor UI annoyances but overall it's a pretty great port.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Borderlands has its rough edges, but at least it's got some personality. The main problem I had with the Destiny beta was that it presents these really nice looking environments, but you get very little sense that you're interacting with a living world. Even just having you interact with a couple of NPCs would be nice, beyond their being a floating head to decorate a vendor list. Also it takes itself incredibly seriously. That said, if you like Halo you'll enjoy the core gameplay. See how the release version turns out I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I heard that the PS4 version of D3 has a special Last of Us level with special Last of Us themed enemies.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Also a Shadow of the Colossus transmog set!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this? posted:

I heard that the PS4 version of D3 has a special Last of Us level with special Last of Us themed enemies.

Ok you just blew my mind if true.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any deals on a PS4 Camera, controller, and charging station? With Madden soon....time to gear up..

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nate fisher posted:

Ok you just blew my mind if true.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahah with Destiny coming out the Borderlands series is now and forevermore completely irrelevant. It had a good run as the only mainstream FPS with a loot system, and because it was the only one of its kind it managed to get by despite its lovely enemy AI, boring gunplay and completely unfunny in-your-face humour. Finally a developer who knows what they're doing has tackled the genre, and the difference in quality and overall gameplay improvements between the Borderlands series and Destiny is ridiculous.

Borderlands the Pre-sequel will sell hardly anything, and they'll blame the fact that it's a B-Team developed game, but then Borderlands 3 will come out and it will probably be going up against Destiny 2 by then :laugh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think the best reason to avoid Destiny is that it will inevitably bring one into contact with people who really liked Halo, and that contagion should not spread any further.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

monkeu posted:

Hahah with Destiny coming out the Borderlands series is now and forevermore completely irrelevant. It had a good run as the only mainstream FPS with a loot system, and because it was the only one of its kind it managed to get by despite its lovely enemy AI, boring gunplay and completely unfunny in-your-face humour. Finally a developer who knows what they're doing has tackled the genre, and the difference in quality and overall gameplay improvements between the Borderlands series and Destiny is ridiculous.

Borderlands the Pre-sequel will sell hardly anything, and they'll blame the fact that it's a B-Team developed game, but then Borderlands 3 will come out and it will probably be going up against Destiny 2 by then :laugh:

As much as people on this forum bitch about it, a number of people actually like Borderlands humor and characters. It will continue to sell even after Destiny is out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide between Wolfenstein: The New Order and Diablo 3. On the one hand, I haven't played an FPS on a console in a good while, and Wolfenstein (on top of being a game I would like to eventually play) would let me get used to shootin' with a DualShock 4 ahead of Destiny coming out. On the other hand, it's a single-player game that, I'm guessing, doesn't offer much beyond a ~12 hour campaign, while Diablo 3 is, y'know, Diablo 3, with all of the replay value and grinding potential that entails.

On the other other hand, there's a good chance I'll drop Diablo 3 for an extended period of time once Destiny hits, so that replay value might not do me a whole ton of good in the long run.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 21, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

As much as people on this forum bitch about it, a number of people actually like Borderlands humor and characters. It will continue to sell even after Destiny is out.

I'm one of those people and I really can't imagine going back to Borderlands after playing Destiny. The gameplay is that much better and Blands was always kind of a slog anyway. I guess I'll be looking forward to the Telltale Borderlands game though!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Harrow posted:

I can't decide between Wolfenstein: The New Order and Diablo 3. On the one hand, I haven't played an FPS on a console in a good while, and Wolfenstein (on top of being a game I would like to eventually play) would let me get used to shootin' with a DualShock 4 ahead of Destiny coming out. On the other hand, it's a single-player game that, I'm guessing, doesn't offer much beyond a ~12 hour campaign, while Diablo 3 is, y'know, Diablo 3, with all of the replay value and grinding potential that entails.

I'd only get Wolfenstein if you could get it on sale or rent it really. I bought it at full price and had a blast with it, but there's really not much reason to ever touch it again once you've played through it once - there's an alternate timeline but the differences are marginal. It's definitely worth playing though!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

On the other other hand, there's a good chance I'll drop Diablo 3 for an extended period of time once Destiny hits, so that replay value might not do me a whole ton of good in the long run.

Diablo 3 has a whole loving lot more value. Wolfenstein is fun but it is a rental at best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Makes sense to me. I'll rent Wolfenstein or see if I can get it on sale at some point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Were these timed for any reason? Thinking of waiting on a sale for D3, and that Last of Us level looks neat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah the setting/art style of Destiny hold zero appeal to me. I'm not a Halo fan either. They seem to be aiming more for hardcore FPS fans.

I'll probably still play it eventually, but I'm happy to wait a few months for a discount. Borderlands 3 would be a day one purchase.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dewgy posted:

Were these timed for any reason? Thinking of waiting on a sale for D3, and that Last of Us level looks neat.

That's what the ps4 version gets forever.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 21, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Oxxidation posted:

I think the best reason to avoid Destiny is that it will inevitably bring one into contact with people who really liked Halo, and that contagion should not spread any further.

This is pretty uncool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

monkeu posted:

Idk, the Destiny mission design from the Beta seemed loving tedious and boring. In Borderlands at least you are constantly going new places, and if you pick up your missions right you won't ever have to backtrack (not that you have to since you're probably going to be over leveled regardless). Same with regards to the loot cycle. In Destiny (ofc, in so far as the demos are representative of the game) you don't pick up upgrades very often, and what new guns you do find usually differ in uninteresting ways. The facct that the game really wants you to use your primary gun most of the time by limiting the other ammo pools just added to the monotony for me.

I was really excited for Destiny, but the betas successfully pushed me away.

I'm not going to defend BL's humor, because I don't like it either (though the writing is worse when it tries to be serious). The gunplay was serviceable enough for me, though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Chemondelay posted:

Borderlands has its rough edges, but at least it's got some personality. The main problem I had with the Destiny beta was that it presents these really nice looking environments, but you get very little sense that you're interacting with a living world. Even just having you interact with a couple of NPCs would be nice, beyond their being a floating head to decorate a vendor list. Also it takes itself incredibly seriously. That said, if you like Halo you'll enjoy the core gameplay. See how the release version turns out I guess.

The game doesn't seem all that serious, what with all the 60s and 70s scifi wackiness.

Dinklebot: That Wizard came from the moon!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

a foolish pianist posted:

The game doesn't seem all that serious, what with all the 60s and 70s scifi wackiness.

Dinklebot: That Wizard came from the moon!

They cut that line. :smith:

That said though Destiny definitely is taking itself at least Halo seriously, and it was kind of off-putting. Borderlands' wackiness was kind of very forced at times, but it at least got you into the spirit of things.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Destiny has a helmet called An Insurmountable Skullfort, it's taking itself exactly as seriously as it needs to.

Edit: it's cool if people don't like it though it's just a game. No need to get all personal about it

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 21, 2014

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

and what new guns you do find usually differ in uninteresting ways.

Go look at the shots of higher level guns to see why you're wrong, they have some pretty unique bonuses.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

So am I crazy or can you not display videos with AR Studio? I thought I saw someone doing that but I can only send pictures as objects. How do I make videos appear on screen while my son and I act like idiots with Killzone and Sackboy masks?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mister Chompers posted:

Go look at the shots of higher level guns to see why you're wrong, they have some pretty unique bonuses.

Is the "usually" part wrong, though?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

Idk, the Destiny mission design from the Beta seemed loving tedious and boring. In Borderlands at least you are constantly going new places, and if you pick up your missions right you won't ever have to backtrack (not that you have to since you're probably going to be over leveled regardless). Same with regards to the loot cycle. In Destiny (ofc, in so far as the demos are representative of the game) you don't pick up upgrades very often, and what new guns you do find usually differ in uninteresting ways. The facct that the game really wants you to use your primary gun most of the time by limiting the other ammo pools just added to the monotony for me.

I was really excited for Destiny, but the betas successfully pushed me away.

I'm not going to defend BL's humor, because I don't like it either (though the writing is worse when it tries to be serious). The gunplay was serviceable enough for me, though.

Yeah, I'll give you the fact that what we saw of the actual missions wasn't that exciting in the beta, but I guess the thing I keep in mind was that we only got to play what was essentially the tutorial section of the campaign missions, and only in one of the at least 5 confirmed locations from the full game. And even that one location had multiple areas blocked off in the beta. Did you get to play the moon mission during the two hour stress test period? It was a lot more exciting and varied gameplay wise than the 3 or 4 tutorial missions we got to play. Then there are strikes, raids, explore mode and PVP on top of that.

It's not until you get to higher levels that the guns start to get crazy fun modifiers, again, what we saw in the beta was basically the tutorial section of the game. For me the enemy AI and gunplay made each enemy encounter entertaining in itself, so overall I'm pretty optimistic for the full game either way. But hey, if it's not your thing then that's cool!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If you couldn't get 3 friends together and have with Borderlands coop or Halo Multiplayer I feel bad for you. I think you are probably a person generally incapable of enjoying video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

monkeu posted:

Yeah, I'll give you the fact that what we saw of the actual missions wasn't that exciting in the beta, but I guess the thing I keep in mind was that we only got to play what was essentially the tutorial section of the campaign missions, and only in one of the at least 5 confirmed locations from the full game. And even that one location had multiple areas blocked off in the beta. Did you get to play the moon mission during the two hour stress test period? It was a lot more exciting and varied gameplay wise than the 3 or 4 tutorial missions we got to play. Then there are strikes, raids, explore mode and PVP on top of that.

It's not until you get to higher levels that the guns start to get crazy fun modifiers, again, what we saw in the beta was basically the tutorial section of the game. For me the enemy AI and gunplay made each enemy encounter entertaining in itself, so overall I'm pretty optimistic for the full game either way. But hey, if it's not your thing then that's cool!

I was going to add that neither game necessarily does most things better, so much as they do them differently catering to different tastes (though, both have objective problems IMO). The raiding and competitive multiplayer stuff, for instance, has zero appeal to me.

I hope the final game's better, but there was enough I didn't like that I'm pretty certain it's not for me (I'll try it eventually, though). A lot of its structure reminded me of MMO design in a bad way. The quickly respawning enemies, the vendor interactions, or level gated areas with invincible enemies (BL had this too but not to the extent Destiny does).

• Locked thread