Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
CNN show video of cop who pointed rifle against protesters. On the video a white shirted (supervisor in most american fire and police systems) cop walks toward him and pushes him away.

Officer has been suspended indefinitely.

So, good on the county supervisor for dragging the St Ann officer away and good on St Ann to suspending him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I assume cops get everything for free in the States. I mean come on those dudes get the best defense money can buy just for being a cop.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Pohl posted:

Ah, so you can try and shoot a guy in the leg to incapacitate him, and hope he doesn't die; or you can just shoot him a dozen times in the torso and head because if you are going to shoot someone, you might as well kill them.

Or, Ghasp! Taser the piece of human chaff (:sarcasm: - seriously, why don't we have a sarcasm emote??)

In short, Thank you. :tipshat:

Full disclosure: I worked in a 24hr pharmacy in AZ and *ALWAYS HATED* calling the cops when I absolutely had to (though it was quite often.) They could be such incredible DICKS. It sticks with me even though I was always on the "good" side, and I'm long past that unpleasant time...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Agrajag posted:

I assume cops get everything for free in the States. I mean come on those dudes get the best defense money can buy just for being a cop.

Goal is to have good defence for all of working class people. It is unfair here in america, but solution is not to take theirs away but to give it to the remaining professions.

My militant marxism makes sure that I remind of worker's protection for cops, too.

This should not protect from malicious action, of course.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

CNN show video of cop who pointed rifle against protesters. On the video a white shirted (supervisor in most american fire and police systems) cop walks toward him and pushes him away.

Officer has been suspended indefinitely.

So, good on the county supervisor for dragging the St Ann officer away and good on St Ann to suspending him.

Cop threatens to kill white people, is immediately fired. Cop murders black person, "Oh well maybe he was a thug lol"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In most places in the US, it shouldn't even be expected that the use of deadly force is even necessary, and consolidating fire teams (where you can afford to train them more effectively) and separating them from beat cops (who shouldn't need a gun, specifically, at all times), would make sense, if not for the fact that the entire system is hosed up and tons of people would resist that change, including many or most law enforcement agencies themselves.
But no, you see the threat of terrorism is ever present and our heroes must remain ever vigilant and prepared to defend our freedom.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

KernelSlanders posted:

That's fine, but I think you're describing the status quo. I doubt a cop would get in trouble for hitting someone in the leg (or missing entirely) if they had justification to shoot to kill. My point is, officers should not be permitted to shoot unless, under the circumstances, they are permitted to kill.

Part of this is that in my head, there's no real distinction between limb shots and center mass shots. I see the relevant escalation not as to 'killing' but as to 'inflicting immediate massive damage.' It's not like if I put 5 rounds center mass and, whoops, he's still breathing, I'd saunter up and put two into his head. Killing's a side effect of what you're actually doing: Immediate massive damage to stop a body. You need to stop that body from what it's doing, not kill, per se. The killing is incidental to the functioning of the tool, and the standards for lethality seem to be about when it's acceptable to accept that incidental outcome. That's how it playing in my head.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Every cop carrying a gun is not a bad idea. Unarmed british police are in the vast majority and those countries where every cop carries a firearm do not go rampantly shooting black people without punishment.

A lethal weapon is a great tool for a law enforcer and the threat of it itself is enough to resolve many violent situations. Every enforcer having it is a good idea, but the training and tactics should change.

And as violent and armed as crime can be in america, police would definitely be hampered by the lack of firearms.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

In most places in the US, it shouldn't even be expected that the use of deadly force is even necessary, and consolidating fire teams (where you can afford to train them more effectively) and separating them from beat cops (who shouldn't need a gun, specifically, at all times), would make sense, if not for the fact that the entire system is hosed up and tons of people would resist that change, including many or most law enforcement agencies themselves.

I once had an uncle (lifetime NRA member) argue that this only worked in Britain because they banned guns there.

He wasn't too happy when I said "but wait Jim I thought you said 'if we ban guns only the criminals will have guns'... so where are the criminals' guns?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is having a gun in a locked safe in the police car a compromise that has been considered?

Er...what am I even talking about? This is America, who on earth would they be compromising with?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

For some reason we like under-training our police in this country.

That costs tax money, can't do that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is having a gun in a locked safe in the police car a compromise that has been considered?

Er...what am I even talking about? This is America, who on earth would they be compromising with?

Norway and Iceland do this in some cases, as does Great Britain.

In Great Britain, some of those are opened from the station, in Norway and Iceland it is officer discretion and sometimes you carry them with you, for example to lunch or other similar places where going to the car might not be ideal.

Some bigger city districts carry on the belt, some don't. Farthest away a pistol for an officer is in the cruiser in any case.

British police are the only police force where majority of cops are not firearm qualified or allowed to touch one.
Even they have exceptions, such as norrth ireland where they are required to carry even off duty.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Accretionist posted:

It's not like if I put 5 rounds center mass and, whoops, he's still breathing, I'd saunter up and put two into his head.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Ferguson/North Saint Louis police force. Your application will be kept on file but we're afraid there are no available openings suitable to your qualifications at this time.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That costs tax money and only has a potentially positive impact for blacks, can't do that.

Fixed that for you.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Bhaal posted:

It's not even the limb shot. If you feel you need to aim for center mass, fine. Shoot for center of mass if the situation gives you no other options. But how many shots would any of us take before being dead or incapacitated? They loving unloaded on him. As people mentioned after he collapsed to the ground they kept on plugging away at his ragdoll corpse from ~15 feet away. Just their stance and gun angle alone were pretty sickening.

I get that anyone would be running on nerves and adrenaline at that point, but at the same time we've ostensibly selected these civilians to take on the responsibility to train and condition themselves to handle tense, life and death situations like this with a clear head and cool temper. The use of deadly force is a sad but necessary part of the job, but it's clear they gave no fucks about that person's wellbeing.

Uh, what? I watched the drat video, the guy was roughly 6-7 feet from the vehicle (right at the other edge of the sidewalk, there is no loving way a sidewalk is 15 feet wide) when they opened fire. He was 15 feet away from them when he jumped up on the retaining wall and started moving toward them with the knife in his hand and them telling him about 5 or 6 times to "drop the knife".

Also, they were obviously intending to kill him ("neutralize" if we want to dehumanize it a bit) since they were using lethal force, so why the gently caress does it matter how many shots they fired (5-6 each, do you know how quickly you can get off 5 shots on a handgun when someone's about to kill you?) unless you're just looking for things to point out and say "BOO POLICE".

Samurai Sanders posted:

That is a terrible compromise. What happens when the officer is outside of their vehicle and someone pulls a gun? "Can you hold on please, I need to get the gun out of the safe in my car."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SirKibbles posted:

Fixed that for you, the issue is race when we get down to it.
Not really. Rich white people won't even pay for cops in rich white neighborhoods.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cenodoxus posted:

Uh, what? I watched the drat video, the guy was roughly 6-7 feet from the vehicle (right at the other edge of the sidewalk, there is no loving way a sidewalk is 15 feet wide) when they opened fire. He was 15 feet away from them when he jumped up on the retaining wall and started moving toward them with the knife in his hand and them telling him about 5 or 6 times to "drop the knife".

Also, they were obviously intending to kill him ("neutralize" if we want to dehumanize it a bit) since they were using lethal force, so why the gently caress does it matter how many shots they fired (5-6 each, do you know how quickly you can get off 5 shots on a handgun when someone's about to kill you?) unless you're just looking for things to point out and say "BOO POLICE".

What about these swedish cops, who from a SIMILAR DISTANCE, against a suspect of a murder case, armed with a visible knife, had time to do a double warning shot [warning shots towards a safe surface are considered less-lethal in the Nordic and Central Europe], and then take limb shots, leaving the perp alive and no one else injured?

http://www.expressen.se/gt/polismannen-darfor-skot-jag-mordaren/

EDIT: I linked the wrong video from the tabs, the man dies in this one. In this video, the warning shots and the limb shots were deemed justified but the officer was indicted for manslaughter because by the final, fifth, shot, that was fired after the limb shots, on the basis of not waiting for the effect of limb shots.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 21, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not really. Rich white people won't even pay for cops in rich white neighborhoods.

Wrong, why would you even say this.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Point taken on the firearms (though I really think options where there's better odds the other person lives, like tasing, should be more rigorously trained on), but again, for most law enforcement officers it shouldn't be considered normal to use lethal force, and it should be better trained for, which of course isn't happening and it's hard to say how to make sure it does happen.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

Also, they were obviously intending to kill him

Ya loving think? That's the problem - the moment the police got out of the car the die was cast. That's not how it should work.

quote:

That is a terrible compromise. What happens when the officer is outside of their vehicle and someone pulls a gun? "Can you hold on please, I need to get the gun out of the safe in my car."

The point isn't that the gun is locked up the entire time you're on your shift until the moment you need it. Some situations will dictate the need for a gun. But by keeping it locked away more the police will have to figure out how to keep the peace without filling people with holes.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Cenodoxus posted:

Also, they were obviously intending to kill him ("neutralize" if we want to dehumanize it a bit) since they were using lethal force, so why the gently caress does it matter how many shots they fired (5-6 each, do you know how quickly you can get off 5 shots on a handgun?) unless you're just looking for things to point out and say "BOO POLICE".
I threw a distance out off the cuff, whatever I'm not going to play youtube CSI with that.

Neutralize != kill. Holy gently caress

"Also, they were obviously intending to kill him" - Yeah, and cops intent on killing should face the law as murderers, hth

BOO THOSE POLICE

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neo Duckberg posted:

Wrong, why would you even say this.
Because it's my experience? The rich towns around me that are basically nothing but old white retirees consistently short the gently caress out of every city service and have to get bailed out by the county. Most of them don't even have police departments because they refuse to pay for them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

What about these swedish cops, who from a SIMILAR DISTANCE, against a suspect of a murder case, armed with a visible knife, had time to do a double warning shot [warning shots towards a safe surface are considered less-lethal in the Nordic and Central Europe], and then take limb shots, leaving the perp alive and no one else injured?

http://www.expressen.se/gt/polismannen-darfor-skot-jag-mordaren/

Why did these officers not unload on that man? Why did they not fire center mass until he was dead? How could they resolve something without killing anyone despite America showing that killing is the only way? Do they just not understand what it means to be be a real cop?

BOO AMERICAN POLICE

The man in this dies and the cop was being charged with manslaughter so its not exactly the best example for your argument here.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because it's my experience? The rich towns around me that are basically nothing but old white retirees consistently short the gently caress out of every city service and have to get bailed out by the county. Most of them don't even have police departments because they refuse to pay for them.

So that's your experience. But I want to see the evidence to support that statement applying nationwide, because it definitely doesn't apply here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

The point isn't that the gun is locked up the entire time you're on your shift until the moment you need it. Some situations will dictate the need for a gun. But by keeping it locked away more the police will have to figure out how to keep the peace without filling people with holes.
Also, according to the police's (probably fraudulent) story, this incident never would have happened if the officer didn't have a gun on him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Are there any decent livestreams up tonight?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Are there any decent livestreams up tonight?

Nobody is here because nothing is going to happen anymore.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Accretionist posted:

Part of this is that in my head, there's no real distinction between limb shots and center mass shots. I see the relevant escalation not as to 'killing' but as to 'inflicting immediate massive damage.' It's not like if I put 5 rounds center mass and, whoops, he's still breathing, I'd saunter up and put two into his head. Killing's a side effect of what you're actually doing: Immediate massive damage to stop a body. You need to stop that body from what it's doing, not kill, per se. The killing is incidental to the functioning of the tool, and the standards for lethality seem to be about when it's acceptable to accept that incidental outcome. That's how it playing in my head.

I think we agree insofar as that's the philosophical reasoning behind what the policy should be.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zen death robot posted:

I feel worse for the family of the dead 18 year olds.

Well, _yeah_. We've all been feeling bad for them. I just hadn't bothered to consider Wilson's family.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yankee go home

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC ripping apart a NY Times article about the shooting.

Specifically where they write that Wilson walked briskly while firing shots at a fleeing Mike Brown and saying that events AFTER that will be crucial to the case.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any idea what Holder said to Brown's family when he met with them?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The man in this dies and the cop was being charged with manslaughter so its not exactly the best example for your argument here.

poo poo, I linked the wrong video. I had plenty of pages open.

In this video, the warning shots and the limb shots were deemed justified but his indictment for manslaughter was caused by the final, fifth, shot, that was fired after the limb shot, on the basis of not waiting for the effect of limb shots.

Let me find find the video I did mean, though.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

MariusLecter posted:

Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC ripping apart a NY Times article about the shooting.

Specifically where they write that Wilson walked briskly while firing shots at a fleeing Mike Brown and saying that events AFTER that will be crucial to the case.

Haha, yeah. Can we just quote this forever to the shitheads justifying the shooting:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Neo Duckberg posted:

Nobody is here because nothing is going to happen anymore.

It's gonna be really depressing when the newspapers break out the big font for PEACE IN FERGUSON

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/20/police-officer-suspended-for-pointing-rifle-at-protesters-threatening-them/

Has this been posted?

quote:

A police officer who pointed an assault rifle at people in Ferguson on Tuesday night and threatened to kill them has been relieved of duty and suspended indefinitely, authorities said.

The officer, who was not identified, has been removed from the field after he pointed his semiautomatic weapon at a peaceful protester, according to Brian Schellman, a spokesman for the St. Louis County Police Department.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, ironically if he hadn't turned to surrender he might have lived a little longer

Which begs an interesting question: Why was his friend, Dorian, (I think?) never arrested? He was running away too, did he flee the scene successfully? Why isn't he being charged with being an accessory to the theft, resisting arrest etc?

Just wait for the protests when they charge the friend with felony murder.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yeah, even better that he was removed immediately by a police supervisor who pushed him away.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone remember that post where someone had three paragraphs like, "When police killed [high profile case victim], they claimed [extenuating circumstances]. It was later reported [damning version of events]," punctuated with something like, "Initial police statements about shootings are worthless."

I'm trying to find it. Was it this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Point taken on the firearms (though I really think options where there's better odds the other person lives, like tasing, should be more rigorously trained on), but again, for most law enforcement officers it shouldn't be considered normal to use lethal force, and it should be better trained for, which of course isn't happening and it's hard to say how to make sure it does happen.

If you have a gun or a knife and don't put it down when the cops tell you, they are going to shoot the gently caress out of you. Everyone in America knows that.

• Locked thread