Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I've read the OP's of all of the main creative writing threads, and I feel like there's a tool out there that I can't find. I am looking for a self taught lesson plan, prompts with exercises, that kind of thing, without the actual class. I'm trying to practice writing but I'm terrible for inspiration and I like doing things in a structured way. Anyone have any idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
What does 'make something more logo-like' mean ?

(:suicide:)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Clients can have valid suggestions hidden behind those retarder statements, you just need to massage them out of them.

Maybe they think it doesn't scale well, is hard to identify from far away, they want less colors, rely on a mark more than text, etc.

They just have no idea how to say it.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I swear the hardest part isn't drawing custom typefaces by hand, but figuring out what the roundabout language the client uses to criticise them means.

I still don't know what they're after :saddowns:

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Creepy Goat posted:

I still don't know what they're after :saddowns:

Ask them for examples of things they think are similar, or what they'd like to see. A lot of people can't properly articulate this sort of stuff, but usually have an idea of what they want.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Is there a way to directly transfer some files from Google Drive to my Mediafire account? I'd like to avoid down- and then uploading ~8gb of files if I can avoid it, but I'm sure I know the answer already. :ohdear:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe Illustrator CS6 question.

I'm using the Swatch Basic Graphic Textures. How do you re-colour the textures to your liking? The default is black and white, but I can't seem to figure out how to re-colour the textures.

EDIT: \/ Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 29, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you go to Object > Expand, it will make objects from the texture.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Quick InDesign CS6 question:

How do you make a numbered list retain the same font? Whenever I have to use a different font for foreign characters, the number beside it follows that formatting instead, as seen with #50 and #53:

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 2, 2014

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Are you setting the foreign characters with a character style or just all overrides?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Not familiar with using character styles, and yeah I'd just simply highlight and override the font, but I can't highlight the numbers.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What happened to the general drawing/painting critique thread? I can't find it.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

jebeebus posted:

Not familiar with using character styles, and yeah I'd just simply highlight and override the font, but I can't highlight the numbers.

The numbers are set in the Bullets and Numbering part of a paragraph style. Since you're just doing overrides, it's probably affecting the number. If you set up paragraph and character styles, it'll give you a lot more control since you won't be setting everything manually and thus can tell it what character style to use for the numbers. My licensee for CC expired, or else I'd show you some screenshots. :-/ Using styles will make InDesign 1000x faster and easier. :)

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
That did the trick, thanks! Definitely good to know for future projects. Now time to go through the list and do all the color overrides again. :doh:

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2014

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Can anyone recommend a good book or website for writing non-fiction?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

jebeebus posted:

That did the trick, thanks! Definitely good to know for future projects. Now time to go through the list and do all the color overrides again. :doh:

If you have a keyboard with a numpad, you can set short cuts for the styles!! :) :)

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Can anyone recommend a pretty quick to learn (and maybe free) audio recording/ editing program for pc? I'm not a big fan of the recording software that Windows comes with. It's for a small project, so I don't want to dump a ton of cash into it.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
^ http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I want to write a memoir about a particularly interesting year in my life, but I don't see a nonfiction thread in the forum. Does anyone have any resources or tips on organization, or just helping begin the process of putting my experiences down into words?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Blender question.

I tried using the Freestyle render to give this C-shaped object a black outline. However, Blender render some lines that should not be visible (I marked them with red arrows). I don't know how to fix this. I don't want to use the Visibility option because I have other objects that I want to place in front of this C yet still rend the full contour.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 10, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
After Effects CS5 question.

I have some footage of a piece of paper that has writing on it. I simply want to change the writing to something else. I was thinking of using the clone stamp to "erase" the original content (just do it frame-by-frame), but is there a better tool/method of going about doing this?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Flash CC question:

I have Flash CC 13.1.0.226. As far as I know, it's the latest update. I was excited to see that you can export as svg as shown here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash/how-to/flashpro-export-svg.html?set=flash--fundamentals--export-publish

But the option didn't show up. I tried creating a new file just in case that one retained some old settings or something. Still it didn't show up on export or publish settings. What's the deal?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Flash CC question:

I have Flash CC 13.1.0.226. As far as I know, it's the latest update.

It is not. Sounds like you don't have Flash CC 2014. I just checked my version number and it's 14.0.0.110.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

melon cat posted:

After Effects CS5 question.

I have some footage of a piece of paper that has writing on it. I simply want to change the writing to something else. I was thinking of using the clone stamp to "erase" the original content (just do it frame-by-frame), but is there a better tool/method of going about doing this?

You can try use tracking to avoid having to do frame by frame. That also gives you the advantage of having something you can parent your text and coverup layers to for the movement of the paper.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Dave posted:

It is not. Sounds like you don't have Flash CC 2014. I just checked my version number and it's 14.0.0.110.

Thank you! After you mentioned that, I realized that in my Applications folder, not only do I have a Flash CC folder, I also have a Flash CC 2014. Why Adobe, why!? Oh well, works in "Flash CC 2014".

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
When saving an SVG in Flash CC and open it in Illustrator CC, is there any way I can expect Illustrator preserve the correct line stroke widths Flash had in it's symbols? They're all wrong when they come into Illustrator.

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF
Does anyone here letterpress?

I'm getting a press this month and was thinking I might start a thread about it if other people are interested.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Probably a silly question, but here goes…

All of you who've been drawing a while: how much measuring would you say you do as you draw? Both from direct reference and from your head? I ask because I measure the poo poo out of everything—and I double- and triple-check them all whenever I can—but I'm starting to feel a point of diminishing returns. Should I try to transition to trusting my gut more?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

CloseFriend posted:

Probably a silly question, but here goes…

All of you who've been drawing a while: how much measuring would you say you do as you draw? Both from direct reference and from your head? I ask because I measure the poo poo out of everything—and I double- and triple-check them all whenever I can—but I'm starting to feel a point of diminishing returns. Should I try to transition to trusting my gut more?

For me it's mostly muscle memory. I used to measure everything, but now I hardly ever do. I'll measure if I'm having trouble with something or it just doesn't look quite right. I still will plot guidelines in and I'll measure proportions and stuff like that from time to time. Like if I'm drawing a fairly realistic person I'll still measure and draw guidelines for where I want the eyes and the nose and the mouth to go. I'll do a quick check of height proportion based off the head size(check the head size, measure that down to the nipple line, belly button, crotch, etc).

Hope that helps!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone got a Cintiq Companion (not the Hybrid) and fancy running the newest GeekBench on it for me? Be interested to see what sort of benchmark it returns.

Edit: oops, there's some benchmarks on the GeekBench site if you dig a bit

CC=5200ish
Similar price MBP=12500ish

I'd love the on-the-go all in one drawing tablet for retouching photos and doodling, but I don't think it has enough grunt to work on hires files :( Maybe wait for version 2.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 19, 2014

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I recently sold an essay to a website that gets a high volume of traffic. I am updating my (hand-coded, babby's first HTML/CSS) website in preparation for my inevitable legions of adoring fans and potential agents.

I want to post a chapter of my novel on my website. What is the best way to do this? PDF? Intro blurb? It's an 8,600 word chapter, do I need to pick a shorter excerpt?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe After Effects/Premiere question.

I have a Project that's made up of several movie clips. But it's only bits and pieces of each clip. I don't want to keep the whole, uncut versions of my imported videos. Is there any way to save only the "used" portions of my source videos, just to save HDD space? Hopefully my question made sense.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 22, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Export in a lossless format and just keep that?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I think he wants an automated way of doing that. If you're in AE you could maybe prerender all the the clips and have the exported video replace your footage in the timeline. Then you could just go and delete all the original source files. You'd have to precomp all the footage first. I've never had to do what you're describing so I'm just thinking out loud. Google "prerender after effects" and see if that's what you want.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

raging bullwinkle posted:

I think he wants an automated way of doing that. If you're in AE you could maybe prerender all the the clips and have the exported video replace your footage in the timeline. Then you could just go and delete all the original source files. You'd have to precomp all the footage first. I've never had to do what you're describing so I'm just thinking out loud. Google "prerender after effects" and see if that's what you want.
Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to do. But if that's as good as it gets, I guess I'll have to work with that, then.

I've run into another After Effects issue, though. I'm not getting any audio when I export my After Effects project. Video's fine, but no audio whatsoever. A Google search has shown a lot of people with similar issues, but no conclusive fix. I get audio with my RAM preview in AE, but nothing when the final export's done. Any ideas?

I've tried exporting the AE file to Premiere so I could try to export it that way, but I get this error when I try:

Again, Google doesn't yield fixes that were helpful. The joy of Adobe software. :allears:

Would all of my problems magically go away if I updated from Creative Suite 6 to Creative Cloud?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 23, 2014

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I've never had that problem. But it's hard to say without seeing your output module settings. Is 'audio output' ticked? (I don't know how familiar you are with AE)

Also I use CS6 at home and it's fine.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

raging bullwinkle posted:

I've never had that problem. But it's hard to say without seeing your output module settings. Is 'audio output' ticked? (I don't know how familiar you are with AE)

Also I use CS6 at home and it's fine.
:doh:

It seems that I didn't have the "audio output" boxed checked. So that's that, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Is there a general filmmaking thread? I see one for screenwriting and one for "film" in the Dork Room, but I'm looking for something more focused on production.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm wanting to learn how to make posters and images to advertise stuff. Is photoshop or illustrator better for that (or do I need both?)

edit: Also, is there a place I can make a thread that will slowly track my progress in design/film editing skills?

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I am asking this on behalf of my boyfriend. He's been working for a small graphic design/silk-screen shop for going on two years now and is looking to try something new since his boss is turning into a loving psycho. He also works occasional paid website design/graphic design jobs on the side, such as designing fliers, local bands' album covers, ect. He has a big portfolio of graphic design work but he has never received anything other than a high school diploma. He's also never had any other formal graphic design job aside from his current job. Will he be hurt by his lack of degree if he applies to "big time" graphic design agencies? He got his current job because he'd friends with his boss for years prior to being hired so he's never really had to present a portfolio before or anything like that.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2014