Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

A friend of mine is going to Vet school currently, and she posted on Facebook about this gorgeous dog. He was at a local pound/shelter, and was in an outdoor run, and was being rescued by a local rescue, when they found that he was heart worm positive. If no one fostered him while he went through the treatment, then he would have to be put down. On Monday I went to meet this great guy, and instantly feel in love.

I am now fostering the little guy, and helping him through all of this.

He is drat smart, and while a little excitable, is pretty chill. On Monday we are going in to get brain surgery(neutered), and then after that he can finally start treatment for the worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

He looks like a purebred Australian Cattle Dog. He's very handsome. Good luck treating the HW.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's got a ton of solid black so I would probably guess mostly ACD mix. ACDs generally have roaning all over their bodies, not just the irish markings.

His face and body scream cattledog though so maybe he's just from weird working lines.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

a life less posted:

He looks like a purebred Australian Cattle Dog. He's very handsome. Good luck treating the HW.

Ya, the vet put him down as ACD/Husky mix. The only thing I hate is that I live in an apartment, but right now I am just going to enjoy my time with him, and in four months or so, end up probably foster failing. Thanks, hopefully he will make it through. Just gotta keep him calm.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

He's got a ton of solid black so I would probably guess mostly ACD mix. ACDs generally have roaning all over their bodies, not just the irish markings.

His face and body scream cattledog though so maybe he's just from weird working lines.

Yea, I am not sure really. From behind he looks a lot like a GSD. I will probably do that stupid DNA test, just because I am dumb and enjoy fun.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I got a distinct GSD/ACD vibe from his pictures, so I think that's a strong possibility.

Big Head Rico posted:

Adopted this guy about a month ago from a local rescue. The previous owners gave him up due to one of their parents having allergies. His mom was a dapple dachshund. No clue what dad was. Maybe a blue heeler?

I need to get some better pictures when he's feeling more playful. He's not emo all the time as the pictures may suggest.

Looks like he could be straight up cattledog/dachshund mix. Very cattledog looking. Love that eye spot. :3:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Colt Cannon posted:

A friend of mine is going to Vet school currently, and she posted on Facebook about this gorgeous dog. He was at a local pound/shelter, and was in an outdoor run, and was being rescued by a local rescue, when they found that he was heart worm positive. If no one fostered him while he went through the treatment, then he would have to be put down. On Monday I went to meet this great guy, and instantly feel in love.

I am now fostering the little guy, and helping him through all of this.

He is drat smart, and while a little excitable, is pretty chill. On Monday we are going in to get brain surgery(neutered), and then after that he can finally start treatment for the worms.

Uhhg, he is adorable.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

El Jebus posted:

Uhhg, he is adorable.

He is, but just found out my roommate is allergic to dogs, and it is pretty severe. I just got back from taking him back to the vet clinic he was staying at. I am heartbroken.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Colt Cannon posted:

He is, but just found out my roommate is allergic to dogs, and it is pretty severe. I just got back from taking him back to the vet clinic he was staying at. I am heartbroken.

Nooooo! I hope they or you can find another temporary foster and his heartworm treatment goes perfect and then you can foster to adopt him when you move away from your roommate :smith: I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to foster him, look at him!!!

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 26, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Colt Cannon posted:

Seriously, where is he? I need a new one, mine is finally calming down to normal dog energy at the age of 10.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

I got a distinct GSD/ACD vibe from his pictures, so I think that's a strong possibility.

I agree with seeing some GSD, and I actually don't see GSD everywhere! I got an Akita vibe too from the first photo, maybe there is some Akita/GSD somewhere along the lines. Big "maybe" there.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

El Jebus posted:

Seriously, where is he? I need a new one, mine is finally calming down to normal dog energy at the age of 10.

He is in Glenpool, Oklahoma. I can give more details via PM if you are near there at all.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Dust Radio posted:

Judging by pics I've seen of DS pups, his Chewbacca noises, periods of pure insanity, and the fact that his coat is coarse and not fluffy, I think he's at least a DS mix. God help us.

His ears are beginning to stand up.

God help you indeed ;) He does look more like a DS in that picture. Good news anyway aside from being completely insane they are sweet dogs. He is going to test you constantly just be ready for that, DSs are rules lawyers and they are very smart. Say for example if they aren't allowed in a particular room they will keep testing you, can they put a foot in the room, can they lay their snout in the room, what if they turn around and just their butt is in the room. Just be on top of stuff like that.

Captain Dilly posted:

I'm curious to see what you guys think of my three year old fella, Hank. I just adopted him a couple of months ago.
People always stop me in the streets to ask and everybody, of course, has a guess. Myself included--my thoughts on his breed have changed a bunch of times. Anyways, take a stab. (I know nothing of his background, he was a stray)

Gorgeous whatever he is. I was looking up different basset mixes since that is what he looks like to me and apparently for some reason there is a 'designer' breed called the basschshund (basset x dachshund) so that is what I am voting he is since the name is funny.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Captain Dilly posted:

I'm curious to see what you guys think of my three year old fella, Hank. I just adopted him a couple of months ago.
People always stop me in the streets to ask and everybody, of course, has a guess. Myself included--my thoughts on his breed have changed a bunch of times. Anyways, take a stab. (I know nothing of his background, he was a stray)

Basset x Plott
or
Dachshund x Plott

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Colt Cannon posted:

Nooooo

He looks EXACTLY like my cattledog mix but with stumpier legs :3: So yeah, definitely part cattledog.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Farlow, now age 3. She was doing what she does (sitting on stairs and monitoring the surroundings) so I decided to snap a few new pictures

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So I rescued a redbone/??? mutt last week, and I'm not quite sure what she's a mix with.

She's 13 weeks old, but she's a quick learner. She knows how to defeat the crate, but stays in it anyways because she likes the bedding.

We're starting to train her to track scents with that powerful nose of hers, and she's 5 for 5 on trials so far. Moving the trail to the woods doesn't seem to hamper her, so we might train her to become a search dog.

She's pretty mellow and less vocal, so I'm wondering if that comes from the "not-redbone" part of her, along with the white stripe on the nose. She's very good with kids and new people.

Other pics:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

pik_d posted:

Farlow, now age 3. She was doing what she does (sitting on stairs and monitoring the surroundings) so I decided to snap a few new pictures

Your dog doesn't get how lipstick works.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

So I rescued a redbone/??? mutt last week, and I'm not quite sure what she's a mix with.

Looks like it could just be redbone/treeing walker. Some coonies just arent as outspoken as others.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

WugLyfe posted:

:3: This is an adorable dog.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

This face hahahaha...
Her ears are so long oh my god

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

What do you guys think he is? I get asked constantly and I don't know. Looks spitz-like to me. Weighs 65 lbs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Maybe some kinda golden retriever/husky/chow mish-mash?

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

Dust Radio posted:

This guy was found running around on the freeway.

Probably too puppyish for an accurate guess, but I'm thinking he looks a drat lot like a Dutch Shepherd (if not GSD/pitbull).

update: these are from this afternoon:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Those ears have seriously grown in proportion to his head which is weird
and adorable!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress it's actually a fennec

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RandomBlue posted:

Angel at the animal shelter before adoption (2-3 months ago):

Angel at home:

Got the wisdom panel results today:

Guess I can see it looking at some of the pics of the breeds other than yellow lab:

White American Staffordshire Terrier:

Great Pyreneese:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Got the wisdom panel results today:

Guess I can see it looking at some of the pics of the breeds other than yellow lab:

White American Staffordshire Terrier:

Great Pyreneese:

That's the only one of these results i've ever seen that looks 100% plausible.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Nah my dog's Wisdom Panel results seemed pretty spot on. Said he's mostly GSD/lab/rottweiler. I dunno about the rottie but ~anything's possible~

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane's came back 1/2 heeler, 1/8 AmStaff, 1/8 bullmastiff, 1/8 Cavalier. Knew about the heeler, the spaniel explains all the curly hair and flag tail, and he has the angulation of a fat blue hippo dog so I think we're good.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The day we found Penny on the side of the highway and 6 months later

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Farking Bastage posted:

The day we found Penny on the side of the highway and 6 months later

Holy crap, our dog wasn't that bad when we got her from the animal shelter, but she was close. You could definitely see all the ribs clearly but her stomach wasn't nearly as emaciated. She looks so much healthier and happier in that second pic, good job.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

This is my rescue foster dog at the shelter, she was 1 or 2 weeks pregnant and still this skeletal

And now, done nursing:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When we got Wallace and Gromit initially we were told they were pure Jack Russells. I'm glad they aren't though, JRs have ratty faces IMO. We think they might be part Bichon Frisé.

Wallace is much braver than Gromit

I'm a terrible person who sends snapchats of their dogs

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Cute little scruffies! Are they evil like JRTs?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EmmyOk posted:

When we got Wallace and Gromit initially we were told they were pure Jack Russells. I'm glad they aren't though, JRs have ratty faces IMO. We think they might be part Bichon Frisé.

The bestworst JRTs I've ever seen. There're part something pockety, probably Bichon or Malteese, maybe Westie, off chance a mutty 'Crested'. How much damage, to the nearest hundred dollars, have they caused to your stuff? This is a key identifier.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

EmmyOk posted:

Jacks are like Border Collies - they're a working breed so the looks part of the breed standard is, well, less standard than kennel club breeds. I could buy Gromit as being a Westie mix, but Wallace looks mostly Jack to me.

Check out the second 'type' on this page: http://www.therealjackrussell.com/jrtca/realjack.php

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yeah JRTs in all shapes and sizes are really common around here. I'd say they're both full JRT.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
This is Vanya, he's a JRT x ???

It's pretty funny watching people try to figure out what he's mixed with. I had someone guess beagle the other day, and someone else guessed Australian kelpie. :psyduck: His father was a miniature fox terrier, which is an Australian pseudo-breed made up of all sorts of things. The ones in the country, which do actual work catching rabbits in fairly rough territory, are much more compact and powerfully built than the ones in the city, which either look like black and white chihuahuas or black and white minpins.

This is his predecessor, Bongo, a "purebred" (lol) miniature fox terrier:

What the hell do you think went into that little guy? Definitely a lot of Jack Russell, but the foxies are a lot finer and have smaller heads. Both fantastic dogs, anyway. :3:

Bonus lifestyle shot:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

The bestworst JRTs I've ever seen. There're part something pockety, probably Bichon or Malteese, maybe Westie, off chance a mutty 'Crested'. How much damage, to the nearest hundred dollars, have they caused to your stuff? This is a key identifier.

Surprisingly little actually, just one or two shoes that were accidentally left outside.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Jacks are like Border Collies - they're a working breed so the looks part of the breed standard is, well, less standard than kennel club breeds. I could buy Gromit as being a Westie mix, but Wallace looks mostly Jack to me.

Check out the second 'type' on this page: http://www.therealjackrussell.com/jrtca/realjack.php

I never knew there were so many 'types' of JRT, the second one looks just like Wallace with a haircut. Gromit was the runt of their litter so maybe that's why he doesn't look like Wallace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
whoops wrong thread