Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
Post about the latest MTGO update and first month post official release:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online-updates-first-month-2014-08-20

I, for one, am ecstatic to see Set & Collector Number sorting fixed. This also shows that they can actually start to get more fixes in now that they have folded the v3 and v4 teams together.

Doesn't excuse much about v4's development so far, but does shine a tiny ray of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The best basic land arts of every type are Fifth Edition lands but the lack of black borders and having text instead of the giant mana symbol kills them imo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^ Bite your tongue; it was much better when basic lands had rules text written out and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

I'm not going to try picking just one block for each basic land type, but I will say that Mirage and Tempest are awesome across the entire spectrum. Urza and Masques almost as much so. Heh, the blocks when I liked the rest of the art better are also my favorite land arts, what a surprise. :shepface: Lorwyn gets points as well for being so nice and cheerful.

When it comes to more selective land types, I think I've gotta give a special shout out to the Portal forests, whichever one(s) it was that had all the neat treehouses and poo poo. I love that. :3: And the Alara lands that were set on Esper and Grixis were great, both being so alien. In fact, I bought a bunch of Grixis-art lands for use in my Thraximundar EDH deck, the only time I've ever actually bought specific basic lands from a dealer.

In most of the latter-day sets, I can really respect what they accomplished as far as having a cohesive, imaginative art design, but the arts themselves don't actually appeal to me on that sort of visceral level. Both Mirrodins, both Ravnicas, Kamigawa, Time Spiral, Zendikar, Theros etc. all fall into this catagory.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kamigawa mountains are probably my favourite art-wise (John Avon :swoon:), but the ones I actually use are the modern-frame Ice Age mountains from Coldsnap precons.

They even have the Ice Age set symbol and everything.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
After watching the Vintage Rotisserie videos the Shotgun Lotus guys did, I really want to try that format out. If other people are interested, it shouldn't be too tough to set up a Google doc and play matches on Cockatrice.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

After watching the Vintage Rotisserie videos the Shotgun Lotus guys did, I really want to try that format out. If other people are interested, it shouldn't be too tough to set up a Google doc and play matches on Cockatrice.

I'd be up for that. It's definitely been one of those things I've wanted to try but haven't had anyone to play with.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I just want my Urza block Plains back, is that so much to ask? :(
That's something I've always wondered though: What's everyone's favorite block for each basic land type?

Plains: Urza block
Island: RTR block
Swamp: Lorwyn block
Mountain: Tempest block
Forest: Onslaught block

I've been playing Nic Fit for a little while now and so feel qualified to rebut a few of your choices:

Chippy's Alara Plains and Swamp
the Zendikar rainbow skyforest and ring Mountain

Your Island choice is spot-on though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Niton posted:

I love Kamigawa's mountains. They're so cold and foreboding.

Wizards has never really done the Red Cold theme right since then.
John Avon is great at making art for lands. I bought 40 of those mountains too, some of the best mountains I've seen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a dozen swans posted:

I've been playing Nic Fit for a little while now and so feel qualified to rebut a few of your choices:

Chippy's Alara Plains and Swamp
the Zendikar rainbow skyforest and ring Mountain

Your Island choice is spot-on though.

I mean, I love those individual lands (I have a foil copy of that Swamp, it's really pretty) but as far as overall aesthetic those blocks are my favorite for their respective lands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

I just want my Urza block Plains back, is that so much to ask? :(
That's something I've always wondered though: What's everyone's favorite block for each basic land type?

Plains: Urza block
Island: RTR block
Swamp: Lorwyn block
Mountain: Tempest block
Forest: Onslaught block

Plains: Return to Ravnica
Island: Zendikar
Swamp: Avacyn Restored
Mountain: Shards of Alara
Forest: Zendikar

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Where's this meant to be? Ravnica?

e: nvm, it is. Turn out original Ravnica had some baller Plains.

Alris fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

http://magiccards.info/rav/en/287.html

Original Ravnica.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I would think so, but with the release of Conspiracy it could also conceivably be some place in Paliano, the High City.

Edit; e:fb

Also, I love Mountains in Magic. They are just so much more impressive than every other land, with a couple exceptions. I mean, do you want to rule some dingy swamp, or some mighty and magestic Mountain?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Are the John Avon islands from Archenemy reprints?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Are the John Avon islands from Archenemy reprints?

Portal 2.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The only basic I really like is:

Island
Most likely because I only own one it's shiny, and it looks awesome. I've been trying to find another 10 or so, but no such luck.

Also these are pretty nice. I just got them today. Seriously, what do I do with them? They're too nice to ever play with or even open and I'm not buying another 39 sets for my cube.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If I were to use any non-regular art Zendikar basics I would have to go with some of the APAC Plains and Islands. Basic land art is probably the most important function of playing MTG.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Zorak posted:

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/502264543859331072

So, uh: M15 lead developer and former Magic R&D member Billy Moreno is in Ferguson and just got arrested. Interestingly, looks like WOTC is calling attention to this.

The third time he's been arrested now in the past two-three days, apparently. He ended up being interviewed on the news after a tear gas attack. Several supportive tweets from Magic and R&D figures, and his Twitter generally is kind of interesting. Martell's running a crowdfunder to get Moreno and Ferguson cash.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Land chat? Land chat! I’ve been playing Magic for an unusual timeframe (started at the release of Shards, but backtracked for Lorwyn and Ravnica during the block reveals, stopped a little after M10 due to time constraints, started back up after Journey but before M15), so I don’t really have that big of a frame of reference but have my picks anyway.

Plains: 1 2 3 Plains are for paladins, jerks.

Islands: 1 2 3 4 5

Swamps: 1 2 The Esper Swamp makes me sad the Ravnica swamps were undercity-focused rather than sketchy alleyways. Honorable mention to the totally out-of-control Lorwyn swamp.

Mountains: Hands-down this Ravnica one because I love forge worlds/forge cities/forge districts/whatever. This M14 one is also great because of the whole mist-over-mountains thing, dunno where it was originally printed.

Forests: I don’t think I’ve ever met a forest I didn’t like, and wish I liked playing green more to justify having all of them in my deck: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I can unironically say that seeing the Khans lands is going to be one of my favorite reveals come spoiler season, especially since the flavor of each clan seems like it’s going to lend itself really well to some really cool stuff, not to mention a wide variety of styles just like with Alara.

e: Cut out a bunch of jibber-jabber.

Rinkles posted:

Have Wizards hinted at a return to an old plane in the not too distant future?

I'm guessing Zendikar's next in line, and another Mirrodin's at least 4-5 years away.

Excuse you, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor still needs to be the best block for a second time. :colbert:

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 21, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

Excuse you, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor still needs to be the best block for a second time. :colbert:
Sales say otherwise.
also your taste in mountains is poo poo

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

neetengie posted:

Sales say otherwise.
also your taste in mountains is poo poo

L/S only sold poorly because of the convoluted block structure not working great for drafts, right? Its power level certainly wasn't too low.

Guilty as charged on the mountain front, Red is my absolute least-played color so I don't know how to tell a good rock from a bad one.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Lorwyn/Morningtide just wasn't a great set by an FNM player's metrics. The overtly peaceful/non-serious atmosphere didn't score well, drafting was hosed to hell because each set was trying to get you to build completely different tribal aspects, kithkin just looked silly drawn by most artists, they didn't rein themselves in enough for the unpronouncable names, etc. SHM/EVE did better, I think, but was sort of tainted by Lorwyn. And the masses of hybrid did some quite unintuitive, if interesting, things to draft as well.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Lorwyn/Morningtide just wasn't a great set by an FNM player's metrics. The overtly peaceful/non-serious atmosphere didn't score well, drafting was hosed to hell because each set was trying to get you to build completely different tribal aspects, kithkin just looked silly drawn by most artists, they didn't rein themselves in enough for the unpronouncable names, etc. SHM/EVE did better, I think, but was sort of tainted by Lorwyn. And the masses of hybrid did some quite unintuitive, if interesting, things to draft as well.

Makes sense. Honestly, all of those weirdnesses are what really appealed to me, but then again I was coming to it well after release and purely from a constructed/casual standpoint, not to mention it's where three of my four biggest money cards came from, so I wasn't exactly the target audience. That being said, I still think coming back to it with all of the knowledge Wizards got from its original run could be a whole lot of fun; I know that the elves in Lorwyn were kinda creepy and neurotic about physical appearances, so having that kind of stuff be more prominent in all the clans (each one having their own 'dark' secret, basically) might sell the flavor, too.

In the interests of continued landchat, how about everyone's favorite scrylands, guildgates, and bouncelands? I'll start with Temple of Enlightenment, Simic Guildgate, and Orzhov Basilica.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't care that it wasn't fun to play at the time, I loved the art direction for Lorwyn. More whimsy, please.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I started playing in Ice Age, so favourite non basic art was a no brainer.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Phil Foglio is a treasure too good for Magic in the modern world.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Honestly the non-basics in ice age are loving gorgeous almost to the last. That one is the best, but Brushlands is awesome, Veldt is awesome, Underground River, Timberline Ridge, etc etc, it is like two full cycles without a stinker. Ice Age really has great atmosphere on its lands.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Heavy Lobster posted:

In the interests of continued landchat
I'm a sucker for playing lands with really cool art, even if some of them aren't the best things ever. Like Temple of Triumph.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Deviant posted:

Is there a way to make Deckbox show me JUST what I'm missing for a deck? It'd be nice to make a shopping list. I can get a full deck list with 'missing' indicators, but can't seem to find a 'here's what you need' list

What I usually do is go down the decklist putting the missing cards on "wishlist" status - the yellow column. You can do this with as many decks as you'd like, they'll all get aggregated in the wishlist section of your deckbox.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I can't help but laugh. Just look at that dude's face.

Phil and Kaja Foglio were my favorite mtg artists when I was a kid.

Phil's goblins were some of the funniest drawings of Magic, hands down.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am really upset that mystic monastery's lore text didn't end with "count" nor end with the master hitting the pupil with a stick.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I am really upset that mystic monastery's lore text didn't end with "count" nor end with the master hitting the pupil with a stick.

To me it makes up for it by having the card art look like a superhero hideout, which means my WUR Heroic REAL AMERICAN HEROES :911: deck is going to be that much more on-point come rotation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

99% of the reason I'm praying for allied painland reprints.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

99% of the reason I'm praying for allied painland reprints.

I'm honestly contemplating finding and ordering a playset of those regardless of whether they rotate back in or not.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Heavy Lobster posted:

To me it makes up for it by having the card art look like a superhero hideout, which means my WUR Heroic REAL AMERICAN HEROES :911: deck is going to be that much more on-point come rotation.

Well, I just hope it has more neat stories like you'd read from the recordings of masters hui-neng and Hakuin. Though they probably won't distinguish between kensho/satori and pure land or even if it runs that deep. We know how well magic nerds took foreign concepts and mythology last time :v:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I'm honestly contemplating finding and ordering a playset of those regardless of whether they rotate back in or not.

comedy is worth a few dollars, you should do it

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, I just hope it has more neat stories like you'd read from the recordings of masters hui-neng and Hakuin. Though they probably won't distinguish between kensho/satori and pure land or even if it runs that deep. We know how well magic nerds took foreign concepts and mythology last time :v:

The Jeskai cards will probably have stuff like that at least. Since it won't take up the entire Block it might be better recieved this time.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

neetengie posted:

John Avon is great at making art for lands. I bought 40 of those mountains too, some of the best mountains I've seen.

No kidding. I really like his cycle from 10E: http://magiccards.info/query?q=a%3Aavon+e%3A10e+t%3Abasic&v=scan&s=cname

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

L/S only sold poorly because of the convoluted block structure not working great for drafts, right? Its power level certainly wasn't too low.

Guilty as charged on the mountain front, Red is my absolute least-played color so I don't know how to tell a good rock from a bad one.
Bronze already explained why L/M/S/E sold poorly, I liked it too man, it was very neat and interesting, especially the Elf Nazi's, and Red/Black was defined very well with the Boggarts. Sadly the edge wasn't sharp enough appearance-wise for most Magic players to like it. I still hope that someday they revisit it. :sigh:

John Avon is so good at making lands like that. Too bad the Unhinged lands are really expensive - probably the best lands ever, and not just because they're full art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

neetengie posted:

John Avon is so good at making lands like that. Too bad the Unhinged lands are really expensive - probably the best lands ever, and not just because they're full art.

They're around 10 bucks a land, right?

Pretty expensive, yeah.

• Locked thread