Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kim Jong ill posted:

I'm getting pictures on my news feed of a student who was trampled by police horses. I did note when I was looking at pictures that whoever set up the fence put the little stabilising triangle segments on the wrong side (i.e. to resist people pushing out, not in) and I'm not surprised they managed to tip it over.

Kind of makes me regret not going, but I've been at home sick the last couple of days.

Edit - How convenient, footage just popped up of the horses moving through the lines.

Oh so the turned violent must have meant because of the police. That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Beetfauxnen posted:

Oh so the turned violent must have meant because of the police. That makes sense.
Some guy ended up doing his own speech in the middle of the crowd and went into a rant about how the police weren't there to protect us. I didn't stay for much longer after that, so I can't comment on how things blew up...

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I hate police horses.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Mad Katter posted:

I hate police horses.

get those animals etc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

get those animals etc.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

Okay now yeah that's really hosed up.

My understanding is he punched the wall on one side of her head and then punched the wall on the other side of her head.

The honourable Anthony Abbott , Prime Minister.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mad Katter posted:

I hate police horses.

Blaming the poor animals isn't cool :colbert:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Beetfauxnen posted:

This is literally 99% of 'protests turned violent', they turn violent because the police are fascist pigs with inferiority complexes who look for any opportunity to exercise power over someone as a substitute for having any self esteem of their own.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
haha https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvjtxZtCEAAuk8u.jpg:large

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I don't get it? Abbott looking stressed?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mad Katter posted:

I hate police horses.

They really hate it when you chuck a handful of marbles under them. At least thats what an anti-Vietnam war protest veteran told me once.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

I don't get it? Abbott looking stressed?

He looks like Hitler

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

He looks like Hitler

A stressed Hitler

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gough Suppressant posted:

A stressed Hitler

First thing I noticed was the guy standing creepily close right behind him.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

NTRabbit posted:

Blaming the poor animals isn't cool :colbert:

Yeah, they serve no other purpose than to run people down and trample on them. gently caress that.

They also parade around public places and literally poo poo all over the floor, which is a huge display of contempt for the public.
The animals aren't really to blame for either of these things, but I don't have to like it. If the police really loved horses/dogs or whatever animals they use, then they wouldn't put them in direct danger.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Election 2016: A Rapist or Hitler.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dickheads posted:

Crikey owner Private Media and News Corp reach legal agreement

Crikey owner Private Media and News Corp have reached a legal agreement that prevents Crikey from hosting or further distributing the News Corporation Australia Weekly Operating Statement for the week ended 30 June 2013.

Crikey owner Private Media and News Corp have reached a legal agreement that prevents Crikey from hosting or further distributing the News Corporation Australia Weekly Operating Statement for the week ended June 30, 2013.

As part of the agreement, Private Media has promised to destroy by 5pm today any hard and electronic copies in its possession.

However, we are not required to pull down the stories based on the documents we have already published. We are also not bound by any confidentiality agreement. As part of the contract signed by both parties, Private Media cannot be sued over publication of the confidential documents.

The agreement is not a legal injunction. It does not prevent others from publishing stories based on the documents.

Yesterday Crikey published the original 270-page financial documents on which we based our stories. We have now scrubbed those links and removed the document from our website. If you have previously viewed the document, clear your cache.

“We remain proud of our ‘story behind the story’ brand of independent journalism, and you will find all of the stories that we have published about this here,” said Private Media CEO Marina Go.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Adelaide protest was small and tame. Couple of decent speeches and a variety of mixed messages but reasonably on target. Horses were unnecessary and did nothing but make a couple of pasty dudes with guy fawkes facial hair feel vindicated for screaming "You're an evil human being" at cops calmly guarding the entrance earlier. Left after the old white dudes had shuffled out so I didn't see anything after that. When did the trampling happen? They knocked down a fence because it was poorly erected and unsupervised, not that it mattered since 5 meters further along you could just step under some orange hazard flags to get into the same area. The cops on guard duty looked bored and I have no idea why they bothered with horses. Felt like both sides were hoping the other would start something and were mildly disappointed when no one did. Glad I went but it had a kind of lacklustre feel to it since it seemed like people were actually waiting for Abbott to make an appearance (lol) .

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Lizard Combatant posted:

Glad I went but it had a kind of lacklustre feel to it since it seemed like people were actually waiting for Abbott to make an appearance (lol) .

Initially I was disappointed that I had work things on, but thus makes me feel better about it. Good on you for going though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Crikey and News media
Well that explains why the Guardian and ABC were getting excited over News' finances.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

So I don't particularly remember, what was in it? It had to have been good to produce that response.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'm assuming that there's already a billion copies floating around on the web now?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Cleretic posted:

So I don't particularly remember, what was in it? It had to have been good to produce that response.

Something along the lines that News' print and digital media are dropping in revenue and The Australian lost $27 million last year.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Something along the lines that News' print and digital media are dropping in revenue and The Australian lost $27 million last year.

Well there's this Guardian article which gives a overview. Basically the big thing they were hiding is loss of advertising revenue, and how the Australian has been kept going by funding from other parts of the business. And the fact that it was a detailed comparison between 2012 and 2013 figures.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, I was figuring it was maybe an ethical issue, or a detailing of shady business practices or lack of journalistic integrity. I should've figured that it would have to be something as simple as 'saying they're losing money'.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I don't think the Australian has ever been profitable, certainly not for decades, but its always been Murdoch's baby. It's sort of an ethical issues as they hide losses so the shareholders don't demand action, but lots of companies do it and no one really cares.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Also, everyone knew they were losing money, but nobody knew how much and from where. Or that while they were making fun of Fairfax, they were apparently doing even worse business-wise.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Plus News Corp is being hammered with the legal costs of fighting the hacking cases - which are still going strong.
Going by what Media Watch has been mentioning I suspect that the future would be most metropolitan newspapers end up sharing and recycling content while The Australian tries to prop-up with it's national focus, while shrinking in paper size.

Of course trying to sell online papers to a demographic who mostly see technology as something magical that only the younger generation can understand hasn't helped. Conversely shifting news behind paywalls for younger audience hasn't helped as they assume news is free.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think we'll probably see even more of a shift away from news. News.com is already lovely click bait, they're trying to compete with the Mail now so it really is a race to the bottom.

It will be interesting due to the influence the papers have. A huge reason the Australian is still around is that Murdoch prides his influence over anything else. He'll probably be long gone though by the time it comes to a shitfight with the shareholders.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Don't overlook the other thing that Crikey reported on today, namely that the employees at the News tabloids are now well aware of how much they're propping up the Oz, both in covering losses as well as paying a much higher average salary by comparison. The damage to the organisation will run deeper as more and more journalists become disillusioned with the disparity.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It's apparently also stirred up journalists, because the ones at the Oz are getting paid significantly more than the ones at papers that are actually making money.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah the whole industry is slowly collapsing into a general value-add to wire services. There'll still be news organizations that are independently funded like the Guardian and Al Jazeera. I can see the wire services themselves eventually being squeezed by economic pressure from tv and print news needing to further cut corners too. There's little money in internet news either, god knows where that will devolve. I do wonder if there will be a war on bloggers, they're a very unwelcome problem for media management.

Murodese posted:

It's apparently also stirred up journalists, because the ones at the Oz are getting paid significantly more than the ones at papers that are actually making money.

It's a symptom of this whole thing. Not even Murdoch can keep this up forever.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The interesting thing is the feeding frenzy for clickbait will actually foster a drive for the more "intellectual" news outlets, so there's a possibility the Australian will survive by a desire to be actually informed.

The race to the bottom, however, is further fueled by social media relinking "shocking!" news headlines and saucy galleries.
I suspect NewsCorp is using as much of the revenue out of news.com.au to keep the rest of the ship afloat.

Another interesting tactic I've noticed are articles that have links referencing themselves, or recycling through the "related" or "recommended" articles where they have been given a different title.

Blog-news seems to sit in the middle. At times you have excellent and well researched articles, at the other time you have things like IA and Crikey that tend to end up as soapboxes for disgruntled journos or washouts like Ellis.

Nick Davies' Flat Earth News does an excellent history on the decline of the press, opening up with The Australia's campaign against Whitlam.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I was at the protest and contributed to the fence knocking-down.

It was actually a really good protest, probably the most active I've ever seen in Adelaide. Of course, it didn't "turn violent", the 6 mounted riot police in a cramped space trampled a couple of people and did nothing to help them afterwards. Of course the advertiser will tell it differently but there you go.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

Gotta spend money to lose money.

Its not surprising that Rupes is footing a higher operating budget for his personal favourite masthead. Too bad that keeping up appearances for a big shot billionaire such as himself will turn him into just another 'temporarily embarrassed millionaire'. It sucks that he will probably die before his dead tree empire crumble to dust.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

WebDog posted:

The interesting thing is the feeding frenzy for clickbait will actually foster a drive for the more "intellectual" news outlets, so there's a possibility the Australian will survive by a desire to be actually informed.

The race to the bottom, however, is further fueled by social media relinking "shocking!" news headlines and saucy galleries.
I suspect NewsCorp is using as much of the revenue out of news.com.au to keep the rest of the ship afloat.

Another interesting tactic I've noticed are articles that have links referencing themselves, or recycling through the "related" or "recommended" articles where they have been given a different title.

Blog-news seems to sit in the middle. At times you have excellent and well researched articles, at the other time you have things like IA and Crikey that tend to end up as soapboxes for disgruntled journos or washouts like Ellis.

Nick Davies' Flat Earth News does an excellent history on the decline of the press, opening up with The Australia's campaign against Whitlam.

The clickbait stuff is further assisted by the rise of Content Delivery Platforms like OutBrain etc, that basically turn the bottom of any nominated article into a web-ring portal (what a 2014 idea).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Nuclear Spy posted:

I was there for a bit, it was fun booing at the old white men walking through temporary fence to get into the building. A Young Liberal in a suit and blue tie went in that got a lot of heat, a lot of 'Tory Scum!' chants too.

Protesters breach police lines at Tony Abbott oration at Adelaide University

Someone uploaded these photos of a student who was trampled by a police horse

EDIT: I think it would save the budget if we didn't have a government that requires a whole riot squad to protect them wherever they go.

Isn't horse trampling taking things a bit far, like recklessly causing injury or something? It's not like cops are ever allowed to run people over in their cars, and horses could easily kill someone or cause serious injury if they stepped on the wrong bit. It's not like a baton charge where highly trained officers execute non-lethal force to targeted areas of the body, there's no control over where horse feet go.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
If a cop ran over a student in a car instead of a horse, the outrage would be equally as non-existent. Politically-engaged students deserve whatever the get from the Brave Boys in Blue

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
:wtc:

Just noticed the Hockey-chair's legs

• Locked thread