Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Bene Elim posted:

Combat Log Recommended reading for Johnny's treatment of Zwinglette

My... My God. I've created a monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I want the first fight of round 3 to be run. My team must get their only win of this tournament!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hrm, I seem to have accidentally bet on BOTH sides of the first match. How did that happen? Is that supposed to be able to happen?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Iunnrais posted:

Hrm, I seem to have accidentally bet on BOTH sides of the first match. How did that happen? Is that supposed to be able to happen?

There's nothing to prevent it. Could you have done it by accident?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I want the first fight of round 3 to be run. My team must get their only win of this tournament!

We usually give people a little time to bet before jumping right in.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

There's nothing to prevent it. Could you have done it by accident?

I bet 400 on the Polecats by accident, hit the back button, put 400 on Team Tiny Arms like I'd meant to, and both bets went through. I thought it would either tell me "tough luck, your money is going to feed Bad Munki's poor life choices" or it would fix my bet.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
...Somehow I have the most money after going all-in twice on my own team. Turns out this is the best strategy, I guess.

Edit: With that in mind, I have put 4,060 dwarfbucks on the Ugly Ones yet again, so anyone who wants to tempt fate and potentially gain a lot of money should bet against us (so that I can make even more money).

Astus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 20, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Astus posted:

...Somehow I have the most money after going all-in twice on my own team. Turns out this is the best strategy, I guess.

Edit: With that in mind, I have put 4,060 dwarfbucks on the Ugly Ones yet again, so anyone who wants to tempt fate and potentially gain a lot of money should bet against us (so that I can make even more money).

:hf: Gained third place always going all in on Platinum Helms. :D

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Iunnrais posted:

I bet 400 on the Polecats by accident, hit the back button, put 400 on Team Tiny Arms like I'd meant to, and both bets went through. I thought it would either tell me "tough luck, your money is going to feed Bad Munki's poor life choices" or it would fix my bet.

The policy had always been not to allow anyone to take back a bet once made. Otherwise we run the risk of having someone put a huge bet on one side to lure in people to bet on the other side, then at the last minute take back their huge bet for a smaller one that would still pay off handsomely for less risk.

Nothing wrong with betting on both sides, though. It's a way of hedging your bet if you think the odds have gone too far in one direction.

Astus posted:

Dies Horribly showed last tournament that it's the best strategy, until it isn't. Then ZeeToo took all of his dwarfbucks.

But then again, Bene Elim showed in the tournament before that, that the strategy actually can work brilliantly as long as you never lose a single fight.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 20, 2014

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that bows are basically worthless. I guess I deserve this for not running any test fights. :eng99:

At least Zwinglette dies in interesting ways! :negative:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
It seems more that a kobold archer protected by a goblin and another kobold is just asking for bad things to happen. Being outnumbered three-to-two in melee is bad enough, but when the three are also all bigger than your protectors, you aren't going to get many shots off.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Astus posted:

It seems more that a kobold archer protected by a goblin and another kobold is just asking for bad things to happen. Being outnumbered three-to-two in melee is bad enough, but when the three are also all bigger than your protectors, you aren't going to get many shots off.
Your melee fighters did very well when they were on their feet. If archery was still as fast as it was last tourney, you'd probably have come out on top.

Sadly, small fighters inevitably get put down by large fighters charging them, and once on their back they tend to die fast.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Dies Horribly showed last tournament that it's the best strategy, until it isn't. Then ZeeToo took all of his dwarfbucks.

But then again, Bene Elim showed in the tournament before that, that the strategy actually can work brilliantly as long as you never lose a single fight.
Yup, it's the perfect betting strategy: Always bet heavily on the fighter who's going to win. Never fails!

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Great fights, great write ups. 3-2 is a nail biter!

Time to place all 140 of my dwarf bucks on my own team because I believe we are unbeatable other than that first fight that we lost.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Afriscipio posted:

I go away for four days and return to see Onan and pals brutally slaughtered. Where did we go wrong?

I think a steel mail shirt happened.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

my dad posted:

Holy poo poo, Mayor. :stare:

All that pent up rage from the crushing defeat of last round. :feelsgood:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If anyone's interested in beating the odds and collecting a huge payout, the Ugly Ones vs Small and Mighty are currently at 5860 vs 220. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whereas, if anyone's interested in making bank, they should bet on Catholicism.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, both Wild Animals AND Lucky Team 13 are facing off against each other and have molemarians on their team. Wonder how that will turn out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yo JP, if you go here: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?5 the total funds plus outstanding bets is completely ignoring outstanding bets, and just showing what the user currently has available to bet at that moment, and outstanding bets is 0 for everyone. I've got 1600 down on a fight, which leaves me with .18 dorfbux, and it claims my total + outstanding is just the .18. :)

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, both Wild Animals AND Lucky Team 13 are facing off against each other and have molemarians on their team. Wonder how that will turn out.

They'll end up breaking each others spines and collapsing into a pile together. They'll lie there and ineffectually chew on each other for days until one of them gets exhausted and asphyxiates on mouthful-of-Molemarian.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Molemarians, I was a little jealous of the other Wild Animals having art so I made a picture of Sunny.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Yo JP, if you go here: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?5 the total funds plus outstanding bets is completely ignoring outstanding bets, and just showing what the user currently has available to bet at that moment, and outstanding bets is 0 for everyone. I've got 1600 down on a fight, which leaves me with .18 dorfbux, and it claims my total + outstanding is just the .18. :)

Yeah, I had noticed that, and I know why it's happening, I'll try to fix it when I can.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Duckaerobics posted:

Speaking of Molemarians, I was a little jealous of the other Wild Animals having art so I made a picture of Sunny.

Aren't they supposed to be based off of naked mole rats? So more like this:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ One of those is cute, the other is terrifying. I like to believe that my Moleman is derpy and more like the original pic.

So when do we want to start the next round of fights?

How many commissioners do we have anyway? 4, plus Jazzy?

Sat/Sun still don't look good for me, so dont schedule me for those days to run fights!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I just want to say a big thank you to the volunteer commissioners blasting through these fights.

It's so fast! :tviv:

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I have won every single bet I have made so far, sitting at 4k Dorfbucks. :toot:

Looks like my crystal ball is finally paying off.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crud, if only my kobold could've hung in there a little longer we may have been able to win. That was a drat good fight.

Corhal
Jul 20, 2007
Can't be controlled. Can't be trusted.
I don't see any open tournaments on http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/, I assume this one is already closed for registration? :)

Corhal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Corhal posted:

I don't see any open tournaments on http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/, I assume this one is already closed for registration? :)

Yes, all the fighter spots are filled, but you can still place bets! You get 1000 dwarfbucks to bet with just for participating.

There will be a larger tournament probably in less than a month, and there will be a new thread for that tournament.

Bad Munki posted:

So what happens is, a flag gets set to indicate that a round has "started", at which point fighter builds are frozen. For some reason, when checking for outstanding bets, I was only looking at fights where this flag had been set. Which is wrong, because it wasn't counting any of next round's fights because of that.

Nobody saw this during the last tournament because it was doing that "randomized seeding" thing, where the fighters would only get paired off against each other after this flag gets set. So last tournament, there were actually no matches available to bet on until the round had been started. Which is how the bug slipped through for this long.

Anyway, the leader board should be correct now.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yes, all the fighter spots are filled, but you can still place bets! You get 1000 dwarfbucks to bet with just for participating.

There will be a larger tournament probably in less than a month, and there will be a new thread for that tournament.

So what happens is, a flag gets set to indicate that a round has "started", at which point fighter builds are frozen. For some reason, when checking for outstanding bets, I was only looking at fights where this flag had been set. Which is wrong, because it wasn't counting any of next round's fights because of that.

Nobody saw this during the last tournament because it was doing that "randomized seeding" thing, where the fighters would only get paired off against each other after this flag gets set. So last tournament, there were actually no matches available to bet on until the round had been started. Which is how the bug slipped through for this long.

Anyway, the leader board should be correct now.

Looks like I am in 2nd place now, no point in betting safe to try to stay on top anymore. Let's see if these random risky bets get me to first again.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So for the next round, shall we continue the system of "any commissioner who's free can post to say they're grabbing the next fight"?

I'm hoping I'll have some evenings to run fights from Monday, if you buggers haven't blasted through the whole thing by then.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Add in "And don't play your own fight" is the only thing I'd add there. Don't want people thinking any of us would cheat!

I'm game for that, hell I can run a fight or two today and tomorrow if people (Jazzimus) want me to.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Add in "And don't play your own fight" is the only thing I'd add there. Don't want people thinking any of us would cheat!

I'm game for that, hell I can run a fight or two today and tomorrow if people (Jazzimus) want me to.

I don't think anyone would cheat. I think there's a possibility of people getting salty over it, because people get salty over stupid things. Better to avoid the entire situation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

apostateCourier posted:

I don't think anyone would cheat. I think there's a possibility of people getting salty over it, because people get salty over stupid things. Better to avoid the entire situation.

Nonsense, Spermy Smurf now knows the terrible secrets of space that helped the Platinum Helms win and will push our team down some stairs. He must be stopped!

Yeah, you're right.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

The hilarious speed at which volunteer commissioners get matches done very much outweighs any concerns I have about any acquired meta-knowledge. (So long as nobody runs their own fights, of course.)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
To be honest it's fun as gently caress to run them. I see some builds and crack up laughing when doing my quick weapon-check for the fighter, and then I see how incredibly deadly they are. It's really fun, the site makes it stupidly easy to do. Without the site there's no way in hell I'd do it.

The best part is that there is basically nothing I can do to help prepare my team even if I wanted to. Full suit of adamantine is out of reach for all of us, so there's nothing else to do other than jack the skills and upgrade our weapons which is exactly what everyone else will be doing, and was my plan to do the entire time.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

King Cohort posted:

The hilarious speed at which volunteer commissioners get matches done very much outweighs any concerns I have about any acquired meta-knowledge. (So long as nobody runs their own fights, of course.)

Yeah we are going to fly through tournaments in the new thread at this rate. Jazzimus, is there any way you could add me as a backup commissioner or something? I'd be interested in running fights but I don't want to get in the four peoples' who are already commissioners way. I'd be happy just running fights when people don't have time or whatever. As long as they aren't my fights of course.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If a commissioner is taking the next fight, they should mention it in the thread first to avoid duplication. Other than that, go hog wild.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

King Cohort posted:

The only problem is, if the tournament runs too quickly, I might not have all of the site coding finished in time to support the official tournament :ohdear:

Silverminnow posted:

Yeah we are going to fly through tournaments in the new thread at this rate. Jazzimus, is there any way you could add me as a backup commissioner or something? I'd be interested in running fights but I don't want to get in the four peoples' who are already commissioners way. I'd be happy just running fights when people don't have time or whatever. As long as they aren't my fights of course.

Sure, I guess we have room for one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The only problem is, if the tournament runs too quickly, I might not have all of the site coding finished in time to support the official tournament :ohdear:

Self correcting problem: we run another lightning-fast test.

• Locked thread