Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

You know what's hilarious? See if you can find a chart for condo prices in Vancouver for the past 7 years. It's flat.

Anyone clamoring to get on the bottom rung of the property ladder before they are priced out forever should feel pretty foolish.

Anecdote Time: My wife got to listen to the flipper, that is trying to sell the townhouse unit on the end of my building last night, bitch at his agent about the offers they are getting.

Considering what he paid, and the materials and time he put into some renos, and the tax he is going to pay since he hasn't been here a year, he is probably looking at a couple of grand profit at best if he gets his asking.

When your ~1% profit margin is predicated on 2% realty commissions and tax evasion, you gotta wonder why anyone bothers.

E: You know, looking at the overall Vancouver chart the average detached price hasn't moved since 2011 either.

EE: Soft landing achieved, congratulations everyone!

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Since housing prices are not normally distributed it should be graphing the median price over time and not the average price over time. The long tail will skew the mean.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

my housing market bear penis ejaculating :gizz:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cowofwar posted:

Since housing prices are not normally distributed it should be graphing the median price over time and not the average price over time. The long tail will skew the mean.

:ssh: They know that they use whatever math fits the agenda better.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:ssh: They know that they use whatever math fits the agenda better.

That's giving realtors and real estate 'analysts' a lot of credit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My dad bought his condo in like 2008 or 2009 or something and is looking to sell it, and he knows that he'll get exactly what he paid for it back.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Is it possible that the relaxation of lending standards in the runup to the GFC genuinely did establish a 'new normal' in both sustainable lending practices and house prices? Certainly here in the UK, housing bears like to moan about how these days couples can get mortgages for 3-4x joint income whereas back in the day a couple could only get a mortgage based on 3x one partner's income and 1x the second partner's. However, the old standard was established at a time when it was the norm for only one partner to have a proper career while the other would typically either be a stay at home parent or work a much lower status job on a part time basis. Clearly that lending standard doesn't make a huge amount of sense from the bank's POV if both partners are of comparable professional status and have similar earning power.

Basically, is it possible that to some extent credit was unreasonably restricted in the 80s and early 90s rather than lending standards being relaxed too aggressively from the mid-90s onwards?

Also, a belated happy 18-month birthday to this thread. Would someone who bought their first canadian home on Feb 14, 2013 be feeling good or bad about their purchase today?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

HookShot posted:

My dad bought his condo in like 2008 or 2009 or something and is looking to sell it, and he knows that he'll get exactly what he paid for it back.

So presumably that makes it a loss relative to someone who rented a similar unit for the period?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Hey, a realtor!

The answers to your questions are in this thread: no, there is nothing historically to suggest this is sustainable. The party inevitably stops somewhere, even if it takes a decade.

Would someone be happy if they bought a year ago? Depends. A friend is currently renting a condo out at a loss and is pretty unhappy about it, but most people are financially illiterate and would feel secure in their wise investing strategy (everything leveraged into one asset that the rest of the world is warning us about, because it always goes up forever).

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I feel like a complete newbie, but I don't know what average SFD prices mean.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Single Family Dwelling.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or more likely: Single Family, Detached.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How many multi-family dwelling are there anyways? I can understand extended families, but the only thing I've heard about multi-family dwellings is that article a few pages back about two families who split a mortgage and a house, which sounds like a terrible idea. Or does this include people renting out basements and such?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eXXon posted:

How many multi-family dwelling are there anyways? I can understand extended families, but the only thing I've heard about multi-family dwellings is that article a few pages back about two families who split a mortgage and a house, which sounds like a terrible idea. Or does this include people renting out basements and such?

It refers to the type of dwelling, not who lives there. A basement suite, or an house "apartment" don't matter, it is still a house.

I imagine that Sikh generational homes are also considered SFD as well since that is a weird foreigner thing, not the correct way to live.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Wasting posted:

Hey, a realtor!

The answers to your questions are in this thread: no, there is nothing historically to suggest this is sustainable. The party inevitably stops somewhere, even if it takes a decade.

Would someone be happy if they bought a year ago? Depends. A friend is currently renting a condo out at a loss and is pretty unhappy about it, but most people are financially illiterate and would feel secure in their wise investing strategy (everything leveraged into one asset that the rest of the world is warning us about, because it always goes up forever).

Not only am I not a realtor, I'm not even Canadian! That aside, it's nice that you think there's no reason that current prices are sustainable, but that's not really what my question was about. Most historical norms for house prices relative to incomes were established during periods when most households had only one main earner. Why do you think they remain valid now that many/most (?) households have two main earners?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

Not only am I not a realtor, I'm not even Canadian! That aside, it's nice that you think there's no reason that current prices are sustainable, but that's not really what my question was about. Most historical norms for house prices relative to incomes were established during periods when most households had only one main earner. Why do you think they remain valid now that many/most (?) households have two main earners?

These parameters are just crazy wide. Counterpoint : US and Dutch house prices.

E: the current UK housing bubble is absolutely attributable to Osbourne help to buy policy, which is a defacto loosening of lending rules.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Because our purchasing power for poo poo like housing has gone way the hell down even with 2 incomes? 2 incomes today are needed to be on par with 1 income 50 years ago. Also a heck of a lot of women worked back then too, even if just a part time job.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10043-Centrium-Condos-(Centrust-Developement-Liberty-Development)-Real-Estate/page11

Buy a Toronto pre construction condo, get ripped off.

e: fixed the url

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 21, 2014

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10043-Centrium-Condos-(Centrust-Developement-Liberty-Development)-Real-Estate/page11

Buy a Toronto pre construction condo, get ripped off.

Can someone give me the gist of this? Obviously people got ripped off, but no really sure how.

edit: Nevermind, most of the details started on page 11.

DailyDumSum fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 21, 2014

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DailyDumSum posted:

Can someone give me the gist of this? Obviously people got ripped off, but no really sure how.

edit: Nevermind, most of the details started on page 11.

"we investigated and found out she [Meerai Cho, broker?] transfered the money to the developer, and from the investigation, we found out the developer left canada in 2013, and the land for centrium was sold twice that year. You can find that from OREA."

Ouch. Then the broker declared bankruptcy.

"In 2013, the construction site for Centrium was auctioned away to another party already. Meerai Cho had given away our money to the developer Joseph Lee, who had already fled to Korea. Meerai Cho as a trustee should not have done this, and this is considered illegal. This money, which is more than 15million (possibly twice of this amount) dollar, should be paid to Joseph lee after the construction completed. Meerai Cho shouldn’t have done this. This is possibly a plotted crime."

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

That thread. :allears:

username: "nothappy", post title: "This can't be happening".

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There is a joke waiting to be made about how everyone in that thread seems to speak english at the elementary school level.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

postin' dis for posterity

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

postin' dis for posterity

Don't worry, CI, she's not ethnic han

edit: that entire forum would completely convince me not to buy a condo.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 21, 2014

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Most historical norms for house prices relative to incomes were established during periods when most households had only one main earner. Why do you think they remain valid now that many/most (?) households have two main earners?

Because many/most households aren't making any more money in real terms.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

So presumably that makes it a loss relative to someone who rented a similar unit for the period?
Yeah, it would have been. He never lived in it, he planned to then moved in with his girlfriend and just started renting it out, but never actually wanted to be a landlord, but he liked his tenant so kept it, and now the tenant died so he's probably going to be getting rid of it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Violently from a drug deal gone bad?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Eight-year car loans drive sales and deepen Canadians’ debt problems

quote:

Collins said she bought her car three weeks ago with financing of about $30,000. “I wanted to stretch it out,” she said of her loan, as it meant that “my payments were smaller.” Asked if she was worried about any extra risk from adding a year to her loan, she said using the option for accelerated payments may end up improving her credit score. “It makes my credit look good.”

:laffo:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah people only look at the monthly cost of servicing, not the total cost of borrowing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The lengthening of car loan terms as well as car manufacturers now advertising their lease/financing rates as bi-weekly instead of monthly is just another indicator that poo poo just isn't as affordable as it used to be.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

The lengthening of car loan terms as well as car manufacturers now advertising their lease/financing rates as bi-weekly instead of monthly is just another indicator that poo poo just isn't as affordable as it used to be.

Or people are spending way beyond their means. But maybe it's because they're loving stupid. 30k for a loving dodge journey? what in tapdancing christ

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Or people are spending way beyond their means. But maybe it's because they're loving stupid. 30k for a loving dodge journey? what in tapdancing christ

Working at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer group, I see this every day. I advertise all our vehicles on a 96 month term at 4.29% interest. Stupid low payments. No equity? No problem! Negative equity? We'll roll it in!

The amount of garbage paper being bought by TD, RBC, and other banks to fund these purchases makes my stomach churn.

Sell your bank shares.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

Working at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer group, I see this every day. I advertise all our vehicles on a 96 month term at 4.29% interest. Stupid low payments. No equity? No problem! Negative equity? We'll roll it in!

The amount of garbage paper being bought by TD, RBC, and other banks to fund these purchases makes my stomach churn.

Sell your bank shares.

Yeah, this correlates with a lot of tweets I'm seeing from finance guys moaning about the growth of subprime car lending in the US. I wasn't sure if it was happening in Canada though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.investmentexecutive.com/-/canadian-economy-s-growth-potential-enters-a-new-era-desjardins

quote:

The growth potential of the Canadian economy looks destined to be weaker for the years ahead, which will weigh on profits, and ultimately stocks, too, says Desjardins Group in a new report.
The report predicts that output growth potential "will remain rather limited" in the coming decades, primarily "due to slower growth by the working age population". And, it says that this "will have consequences for several facets of the economy, including job creation, interest rates and the stock market."
For 2014, Desjardins expects to see growth of just 2.2%. It notes that this has been the average annual growth rate over the past couple of years. Yet, this may look strong compared to what it is expecting in the coming 15 years or so. It suggests that the combination of very soft growth in total hours worked and annual labour productivity growth "implies that Canada's potential for economic growth will remain between 1.5% and 2.0% from now until 2030."
In the next couple of years, it expects real GDP growth will be just above the 2% mark. "This projection is above potential because Canada's economy has not yet recovered from the harmful effects of the great recession. There is also still excess production [capacity]," the report says.
It expects that the Canadian economy will return to full production capacity in late 2015 or early 2016. And, that real GDP growth should slow, starting in 2017, returning to a pace closer to its long-term potential. "On average, annual real GDP growth should rise to 2.0% between 2014 and 2020. For the 2021–2030 decade, annual real GDP growth should stand at an average 1.7%," it says.
After 2030, growth in hours worked is expected to accelerate somewhat, it says, which will "open the door to slightly higher growth potential for real GDP."
In the meantime, however, this weaker potential means interest rate equilibrium levels will be lower than in the past, Desjardins says. And, it suggests there will be softer growth in business profits, "which could result in lower stock market gains."

~soft landing achieved~

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
There's no reason that real estate can't be like any other natural resource boom, in that it will cripple your real economy by creating an artificially high currency value.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

on the left posted:

There's no reason that real estate can't be like any other natural resource boom, in that it will cripple your real economy by creating an artificially high currency value.

By selling them to foreign buyers?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

By selling them to foreign buyers?

Yeah, if you have tons of foreign money moving into Canada to park, it has a similar effect to China buying a lot of goods. Except it's a capital investment, so the money doesn't get kept in Canada as it would if China bought goods and services. So in a sense, the money is just waiting to leave Canada.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Yeah, if you have tons of foreign money moving into Canada to park, it has a similar effect to China buying a lot of goods. Except it's a capital investment, so the money doesn't get kept in Canada as it would if China bought goods and services. So in a sense, the money is just waiting to leave Canada.

The loonie is doing a yeoman job of losing its value right now in the middle of a housing boom (or soft landing).

All things being equal, housing is just housing and I can get more value for it in, say, Seattle than I can in Vancouver. It's much more easily arbitraged than a commodity like copper, oil, concentrated OJ or pork bellies.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

After 2030, growth in hours worked is expected to accelerate somewhat, it says, which will "open the door to slightly higher growth potential for real GDP."

Cool, so I guess I can wait until I'm 45 to start my career after all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

30k? Haha, that's below the median price for new car sales in Alberta for the past couple of years. There's much, much worse going on.

I think there's a valid raison d'etre for what I would call "counter-intuitive" financial vehicles, like bonds with 100-year maturities and so forth, but allowing for greater levels of consumer debt is most certainly not one of them. gently caress me, at least a house isn't guaranteed to depreciate rapidly...