Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Enemy Within is entirely suitable for a first playthough. It broadens your options and adds a bunch of things in that feel entirely natural.

ceaselessfuture posted:

E: Also, is the Infinite DLC any good?
Nope.

The long answer is a spoiler-filled rant about how it lowered my opinion of the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bioshock Infinite DLC is something something black people did it + big daddy...issues.wmv.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I must experience Burial At Sea for myself so I can see how bad it is. Just like Deus Ex the Fall. I need that magical experience

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the crusader kings 2 tutorial keeps insisting that my dear wife (who I am not plotting to assassinate!) is dead. she is not dead. I do not appreciate this dissent against the crown.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What is the proper channel through which to notify Valve their new Steam client looks like assbutt?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Counter-opinion activated!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Enemy Within is entirely suitable for a first playthough. It broadens your options and adds a bunch of things in that feel entirely natural.
I dunno, it throws a lot at you compared to EU. I would say play EU until you get bored of what it has to offer, then restart a new game in EW.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nope.

The long answer is a spoiler-filled rant about how it lowered my opinion of the base game.
Well, Infinite's DLC was at least fun to play. I guess I would need to read up on what BAS did in terms of the whole Bioshock canon though, because I am sure something got retconned somewhere, somehow because of BAS.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Awesome! posted:

the crusader kings 2 tutorial keeps insisting that my dear wife (who I am not plotting to assassinate!) is dead. she is not dead. I do not appreciate this dissent against the crown.
The ingame tutorial is fairly terrible.

The tutorial LP thread is pretty great and certainly much better at teaching strategy. There was a Youtube series posted in this thread recently too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sober posted:

I dunno, it throws a lot at you compared to EU. I would say play EU until you get bored of what it has to offer, then restart a new game in EW.
I think it paces things out well though; Meld is there from the start, but by the time you can use it you've probably already got a half-dozen missions under your belt and have an idea of the basics. EXALT isn't thrown at you right away either, and the base defence mission fits in naturally. E: To me it's like asking if CiV should be played with the expacs.

If you install EW but play EU do you still get the benefit of the international voices and the extra maps?

quote:

Well, Infinite's DLC was at least fun to play. I guess I would need to read up on what BAS did in terms of the whole Bioshock canon though, because I am sure something got retconned somewhere, somehow because of BAS.
I liked the gameplay in in the DLCs well enough, it's just the writing I had so many, many problems with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

A season pass is something you buy that will guarantee you all of the DLC for a game. Think of it like pre-ordering or buying a DLC megapack. There are advantages to it, but if you're not interested in the DLC then don't bother.

It guarantees all the DLC except when it doesn't, at the whim of the publisher. Take a look at Borderlands 2. The Season Pass gets you the 4 large game expansions (Captain Scarlett, Torque, Hammerlock, and Tiny Tina) and the first level cap upgrade. What it doesn't include is either character class add-ons, the mini-expansions released after Tiny Tina, the second level cap upgrade, the "Creature Salughterdome," or any of the customization DLC.

Always make sure you know exactly what the Season Pass is going to get you before you buy it. Bioshock Infinite's Season Pass isn't nearly as confusing as Borderlands 2 but it also doesn't include the "Columbia's Finest" DLC. While that is still just a bunch of small in-game bonuses and not really substantial content its still something listed as DLC that buying the Season Pass will not get you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Borderlands 2 is exceptionally lovely in this regard, because the GOTY doesn't include all the DLC either. Not buying unless it's complete, 2K!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I personally got bored with vanilla XCOM pretty quickly. The Complete version added just enough to the mix to keep things interesting for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Whatever. I've just beaten my 28th game since the end of the summer sale (Darkness II). And I've replenished my wishlist. Play what you feel like.

e: Especially nowadays, game campaigns are no longer the sprawling 40-60 hour epics like the Playstation 2 generation, they're usually 6-8hrs long so you can clear out a couple of games a week if you play even a casual amount of hours. In the past 7 days I've completed Prince of Persia 08, Bulletstorm, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, and now The Darkness II. The week before, I completed Dead Space, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, and Marlow Briggs. With the exception of DE:HR, most of these games are pretty darn short and sweet and won't take you more than a few sittings.

I'll probably never finish games like Assassin's Creed IV or Far Cry 3, because while getting all the optional little relics and collectibles grows old real quick, it bothers me to load up a save and see them littering the world map. Tomb Raider I was actually able to finish because the overall pacing of the narrative was done so well that I just wanted to get on with the story and going 100% didn't seem important at all. But somehow with ACIV/FC3 I feel the need to "get the most" out of my save the first go-around, which means probably never completing them. You can very easily put 40-60 hours into those two.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

The tutorial is broken and badly written and maybe even outdated. Just pick Dublin, read the wiki and learn as you go.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I always thought the implication of a season pass was that it would get you all the DLC that came out during the first "season", whatever that's considered to be.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lordfrikk posted:

Borderlands 2 is exceptionally lovely in this regard, because the GOTY doesn't include all the DLC either. Not buying unless it's complete, 2K!

You're not really missing anything if you just get the GOTY. The Headhunter DLC is meant for people who want to farm gear and fight more raid bosses.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

I'll probably never finish games like Assassin's Creed IV or Far Cry 3, because while getting all the optional little relics and collectibles grows old real quick, it bothers me to load up a save and see them littering the world map. Tomb Raider I was actually able to finish because the overall pacing of the narrative was done so well that I just wanted to get on with the story and going 100% didn't seem important at all. But somehow with ACIV/FC3 I feel the need to "get the most" out of my save the first go-around, which means probably never completing them. You can very easily put 40-60 hours into those two.

I'm only ever bothered by it if there's some reward for it, then I feel compelled to collect them, but if they're there just for you to find then I don't really care. Luckily most of the collectibles in AC falls into the latter category.

I kind of disliked the riddles in the Batman games because you can't do them as soon as you find them unless you have the required gadget/upgrade. I never completed them all for this very reason.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

I kind of disliked the riddles in the Batman games because you can't do them as soon as you find them unless you have the required gadget/upgrade. I never completed them all for this very reason.

I kind of liked them in Asylum, because some of the perspective tricks could be kind of clever. I barely bothered with them in City because the city itself sprawled so much it was a chore to bother looking.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bieeardo posted:

I kind of liked them in Asylum, because some of the perspective tricks could be kind of clever. I barely bothered with them in City because the city itself sprawled so much it was a chore to bother looking.

In Asylum, they encouraged you to explore every inch of the island, but in City it seemed like they lost sight of that in order to just pad the city full of things to collect.

It's been a while since i did the Riddler Challenges in City, but don't most of them consist of just collecting trophies from cages or smashing cameras and balloons?

At least in Asylum, you had some interesting variety. Yeah you had the hidden trophies, but you also had aspect challenges, prisoner recordings, character reference scans and joker teeth to collect.

I hope Knight has some more creative Riddler puzzles that are a bit more than just a collectathon, but we're getting races i think so who knows...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really hate that ArcheAge has such an appealing-looking splash image but is just yet another dull high fantasy freeplay MMO bullshit.

I'd play a RPG that had that sort of colored-pencil aesthetic. Too bad the SaGa series is pretty much defunct those days, it'd be the sort of IP to try that poo poo out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tezzeract posted:

So should we be ashamed? Do we need better strategies when it comes to dealing with our backlog? Is it time to get our spending under control and try to play the games we own? Of course not. The system is working just fine, thank you, and it's time to stop pretending otherwise.

It's always really weird when the idea of being responsible with money or whatever comes up seriously during Steam sales. Even if you spend like $200 per sale, you're basically engaging in a cheap as gently caress hobby. That's maybe $600 per year if you only go crazy during big sales and buy a couple of more expensive games in between, which is still less than buying one $60 game per month. People end up with backlogs because PC games are currently sold so far below any reasonable measure of their value that there's no reason not to buy a gently caress ton of them during sales.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

It's always really weird when the idea of being responsible with money or whatever comes up seriously during Steam sales. Even if you spend like $200 per sale, you're basically engaging in a cheap as gently caress hobby. That's maybe $600 per year if you only go crazy during big sales and buy a couple of more expensive games in between, which is still less than buying one $60 game per month. People end up with backlogs because PC games are currently sold so far below any reasonable measure of their value that there's no reason not to buy a gently caress ton of them during sales.

Yep. I spend far less than $200 during the major sales. In fact, I haven't spent my own money on steam in over a year (card sales, etc.). I buy a lot of bundles but usually spend $20 or less per month on them. I have over 700 games on a 3 year old account. This is incredibly cheap entertainment.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
"I spent almost the price of 2 release games and got 20 MY WALLET drat YOU GABEN"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For the price of 4-5 full price games you knew you would enjoy, you could have 50 that you'll play for 15 minutes and put down forever, or never even install. Economics, bitches.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Delusibeta posted:

And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.

Guess I won't be buying any of their games then!
TBH I've grown bored with the identikit and churn them out nature of Ubisoft big titles. I lost interest in AssCreed after Ezio and got bored with FarCry 3 quite quickly. Their games seem to have the same mechanics and systems in them and it makes them feel a bit interchangable. They found a formula and don't deviate from it much. To be fair their titles are well made, popular and sell well but they don't excite me any more. They're just a bit meh.
I think I'm done with Ubisoft now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

What a shame, £50 for Assassin's Creed Unity or Far Cry 4 was too good of a price.

e: For XCOM I'd strongly discourage Enemy Within for your first time. Avoid Easy/Normal difficulty as well as it fudges the numbers behind the scenes and hampers the AI. EU+EW is a much better deal than EU+Bureau regardless if you think the Bureau is a good game or not. If you buy EW you can still play the base game, and I'd recommend a controller if only for precise grenade/rocket placement.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 21, 2014

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Helith posted:

Guess I won't be buying any of their games then!
TBH I've grown bored with the identikit and churn them out nature of Ubisoft big titles. I lost interest in AssCreed after Ezio and got bored with FarCry 3 quite quickly. Their games seem to have the same mechanics and systems in them and it makes them feel a bit interchangable. They found a formula and don't deviate from it much. To be fair their titles are well made, popular and sell well but they don't excite me any more. They're just a bit meh.
I think I'm done with Ubisoft now.

Blood Dragon and Gunslinger were nice surprises, though. Be good to see more of those. Maybe Ruse: Vietnam, or something. Uplay can gently caress off, though.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

I must experience Burial At Sea for myself so I can see how bad it is. Just like Deus Ex the Fall. I need that magical experience
It's not "so-bad-it's-good bad", it's "skinning your knee on a rough road after falling off your bike" bad. Anyone who even tangentially likes Bioshock Infinite (or even regular Bioshock for that matter) should stay the hell away from Burial at Sea 1 and 2. People also need to be aware that Burial at Sea 2 has arguably one of the most graphic torture scenes in gaming, and it's all for basically nothing in the end. It's the gaming equivalent of a snuff film.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What a shame, £50 for Assassin's Creed Unity or Far Cry 4 was too good of a price.

You'd have to be stupid to buy a Ubisoft game from Steam at launch, but they always have some of the best sales, so if you can't buy Far Cry 4 in a year's time for £5 then that is a big shame.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

exquisite tea posted:

For the price of 4-5 full price games you knew you would enjoy, you could have 50 that you'll play for 15 minutes and put down forever, or never even install. Economics, bitches.

Why wouldn't you just also buy those games you know you'll enjoy when they're insanely cheap during sales? Other than a few really odd ducks like EA/Activision poo poo, absolutely nothing is immune to huge discounts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just played the free DLC for Thomas was Alone. Man what a great game.

Also finally got Wargame Red Dragon and it blows Company of Heroes 2 out of the water. Especially since there is no weird nazi fetish.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

It's really not bad though. I mean regardless of how you feel about the story the actual gameplay and some of the setpieces are arguably more interesting than anything found in the original game.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man finally playing black mesa and I'm utterly disappointed with the military. Not the least of which is the clear voice acting. Where's my barely understandable military chatter dammit :argh:

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

Man finally playing black mesa and I'm utterly disappointed with the military. Not the least of which is the clear voice acting. Where's my barely understandable military chatter dammit :argh:

"FREEMAN. WE. WILL. -poo poo!- IN. YOUR. rear end!"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Delusibeta posted:

This kind of thing is just mindbending to me. Yesterday I walked by a Game and there was no PC section at all in it. Last time I actually went into a Game looking for PC games it was down to like 3 small shelves in the farthest corner.

Why would Game even care about Steam when they don't really carry PC games in their brick and mortar stores anymore anyway?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If thats true, then its going to be loving hilarious when Game inevitably collapses again.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wasn't Game going for a boom or bust in-store digital download service to appease what's left of their shareholders?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is less "We won't sell our games on Steam" but "Our games won't get a store page on Steam until after the console release so GAME won't get mad at us for letting those filthy PC gamers steal their pre-orders." If GAME is anything like Gamestop and just has maybe a single rotating shelf for PC games (that is nothing but The Sims and Blizzard games) then there's no benefit to Ubisoft to not sell their games on Steam at all.

Though maybe they're going to be like EA and only selling their games on uPlay.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

Though maybe they're going to be like EA and only selling their games on uPlay.

If they only started selling their games on UPlay I'd forget about Ubi so loving hard. Hahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally got around to recovering my login for Burnout Paradise last night and was surprised that it still seems pretty active. Never got to play 3 online so I'm pretty jazzed. :unsmith:

• Locked thread