Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Well, that answers my question from yesterday, but now, the duck?

Well, if you insist! Howard the Duck:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac better call Saul.

What kind of kid calls it a kiddie car?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Poptropica Love uh... uh... finds a way

So did they get the phone out of the dinosaur puke, or what?

We now return to the Bloom County already in progress.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

haha! Dickbutt? If so, beautiful R!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hahaha!

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker

I usually skip Judge Parker but I read it today for some reason and I'm glad I did.

F Minus

Looks about right.

Mary Worth

What could it be?!? I'm on the edge of my seat here!

I think in that last panel it's supposed to be June saying that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

First funny dickbutt in years

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

EasyEW posted:

The Sweet Release Of The Immaculate Artist

Were you expecting the sweet release of death? No, just the sweet release of the final plot point slipping through some random buzzwords.

Yet again Batiuk uses TV development lingo for what he has in the past explicitly described as a movie. Granted, it always sounded like a made for TV (Lifetime) movie but still, that doesn't explain inexplicably using the words "pilot", "midseason" etc. for some reason this drives me up the wall nearly as much as the overall plot itself.

I guess to Batiuk, Hollywood is so dumb and greedy and will never understand Real Art that he couldn't be bothered to do, like, two seconds of proper research, just threw in a bunch of development terms that he didn't bother to look up.

Also even if it were a TV show, being a midseason show is far from a death sentence. In the Funky universe where the Lisa book is actually considered good I'm now picturing Les whining for several months while the TV show becomes an unexpected hit.

Wikipedia redirects "sizzle reel" to "trailer" (I'm guessing it's an antiquated term) which implies that shooting had actually already completed, when last we saw, it was just a table read and Les trying to make last second script revisions before quitting. God, Batiuk is a hack.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mercury Hat posted:

Right, I'm just wondering where the catcalling punchline comes from. It seems a total nonsequitur unless there's a type of crow or something called a crow which says "wassup bay-bee".

Ooohhh. It's probably Buggy there in the crate then, or the other boy that's not James whose name I can't remember. The kinda white-trash-ish kid. Seems likely.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hah, those stupid hipsters with their tiny cars and their... Chinese food? Is that a hipster stereotype I don't know about? :confused:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Wanamingo posted:

Hah, those stupid hipsters with their tiny cars and their... Chinese food? Is that a hipster stereotype I don't know about? :confused:

No, but they do need to eat, and Chinese food gives Piraro the chance to do his dumb fortune cookie gag, so....

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Even better, that's a self portrait.

Dan Piraro seems like a man truly dedicated to being insufferable.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/21/2003

The theme is really old, Brooke, really old, and even more dumb.

This is so completely dumb and has been stupid all week. Sunglasses look cool, yes, but mainly they make it more comfortable to be outside when it's bright out. Everybody wears sunglasses. Both my parents have sunglasses and so does my grandma and everybody else I know. They are not the mark of a toughguy or a coolguy, and have not been for decades. It's like getting all hot and bothered because somebody put on a pair of jeans. I don't get why anybody still makes a big deal about it here in 2014, or even back in 2003.

The last panel is true. I was grinning the whole time reading this.

Luann

That doesn't seem like proper ferret accomodations. She should be careful. I heard one of those things bit Jeremy's mom.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Huh, who knew Peter Parker was into bank-bathroom voyeurism.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, but then they got chased off by the Dinosaurs greaser husband.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

e. someone, please get this

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 21, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nice Linda Blair impression.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That doesn't seem like proper ferret accomodations. She should be careful. I heard one of those things bit Jeremy's mom.

I'm going to give it a pass this time. It's hard to find an appropriate cage for anything that keeps changing size like that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So glad I'm not the only one who read her with that voice.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kennel posted:

e. someone, please get this

Jon Lovitz in a wig?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Darthemed posted:

They did, sorry I may have missed posting that one, Tiggum's post for that day depressed me enough that I didn't feel like putting up that day's comic. It's on gocomics if you need to see a dinosaur horfing though.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones (Mad #504, August 2010)

Spy vs. Spy

This was later animated for MADtv

Don Martin Dept. (MAD # 241, September 1983)

The Lighter Side of...

(MAD # 241, September 1983)

(MAD # 286, April 1989)

(MAD # 286, April 1989)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

grading essays nude posted:

Wikipedia redirects "sizzle reel" to "trailer" (I'm guessing it's an antiquated term) which implies that shooting had actually already completed, when last we saw, it was just a table read and Les trying to make last second script revisions before quitting. God, Batiuk is a hack.
I've only seen "sizzle reel" used in the context of a trailer that was shot before the actual production was completed -- specifically, for a show someone was pitching to drum up interest/investment for a full production. Which is still complete loving nonsense in the context of a made-for-TV movie that has already been picked up by a cable network, has been cast, and has sets and a production office and is doing table reads.

So, yeah, Batiuk is a hack. The only way this could be salvaged is with some kind of "Owl Creek Bridge" scenario where the entire strip ends with a panel of Les's body swinging from a rafter in his garage.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Beeg posted:

(MAD # 286, April 1989)
Between this and R Ubbish's edit, this thread's got me laughing a lot today.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

grading essays nude posted:

For the purposes of what they were attempting to do here, a sizzle reel was originally what producers used for the networks (or press, or whatever) to demonstrate a concept, so not quite a trailer, but that's what you get for trusting Wikipedia to get it right all of the time. Now it's also a term for an actor's demo reel or a product demo reel. None of which should apply to a movie that never got past table reads and rewrites, of course.

Pogo gives us "If at first you don't succeed, scry, scry again." (August 23, 1956)

(e: and these silly taglines would make more sense if I posted the right ones, too...)

Peanuts: Year One (March 15-17, 1951)

Gah! Adult voices! Also, the first appearance of a catchphrase!

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 22, 2014

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mister Beeg posted:

Setup, one, two, and punchline on three. Dave Berg was a machine.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh, Brother

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Lapinlahden Linnut is in no way creepy

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

In a shocking twist, Dez doesn't exist. Bernice made her up and will now start running away from imaginary government assassins while cracking imaginary secret code for an imaginary G-man.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Tomorrow, for the first time ever.... THE NAILER!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Since I'm on a MAD kick, here's one that was drawn by our very own Death Ray.

That's right. Death Ray is part of the Usual Gang of Idiots, since 2006. He's still appears in almost every issue. It was my first exposure to him, believe it or not.

Also, PvP challenged Jason Fox to the Ice Bucket challenge

Which led to Bill Amend drawing this.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bleeker illustrates the First Law of Ice Cream: where there is sand, there is gravity.

Pickles featuring Germophobic Dog.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Honey, you don't have the money yet. It's too early in this con to start being yourself.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

that fruit is hanging so low I almost hit my head on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:neckbeard:

Mister Beeg posted:

That's right. Death Ray is part of the Usual Gang of Idiots, since 2006. He's still appears in almost every issue. It was my first exposure to him, believe it or not.
The part I find hard to believe is that Mad Magazine still exists.

Candorville

Reply All

Todd the Dinosaur

Nice job on the colouring for panel one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having grown up on MAD magazines that were outdated even then, it's incredibly strange to see Sergio Aragones take on something relatively current. He hasn't lost his touch one bit though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mister Beeg posted:

Sergio Aragones (Mad #504, August 2010)

drat, that's the first time in what feels like a very, very long time that I've actually smiled at a Twilight joke, and not just tried to light the teller on fire with my mind.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy gives us DYNAMIC ACTION! (June 3, 1927)

Peanuts (August 25, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean gives us "If you didn't see this coming from day one, you need a remedial reading comprehension course."

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 10-11, 1925)

"And lookit them shoes! Those prob'ly ain't his real feet!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Dil's life is a shambles.

The Creeps presented without commentary

Poptropica also without commentary, mainly because I can't think of anything to say.

Heathcliff yospos.png (...a family of cat testicles?)

• Locked thread