Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Science get on a substance that will permanently bond to glass but then easily reflow when heated
Why don't they just weld the glass panels together, just melt them? Other than the fact that if it cracked you'd have to throw the whole tank away. At least it'd never leak.

It might even be possible too - we used to use HF gas to etch glass during my PhD - but HF is evil and will really gently caress you up. I dread to think the accidents if Joe Public got their hands on something like HF.

Remember HCl at school? Remember how it kinda stung if you got it on your hands? HF is its bigger, meaner brother. If you get it on you, it soaks through your skin and dissolves your bones - it goes for the Calcium. Lovely stuff.

I think I'll stick to Silicone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Sonic H posted:

It might even be possible too - we used to use HF gas to etch glass during my PhD - but HF is evil and will really gently caress you up. I dread to think the accidents if Joe Public got their hands on something like HF.

Remember HCl at school? Remember how it kinda stung if you got it on your hands? HF is its bigger, meaner brother. If you get it on you, it soaks through your skin and dissolves your bones - it goes for the Calcium. Lovely stuff.

I think I'll stick to Silicone.

That's the poo poo that has to be kept in ceramic/ldpe plastics right?

That poo poo nasty...

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
That's the stuff. It's horrible.

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!
I'm looking for a written appraisal from a fish expert to provide an estimated value of koi based on photos. We donated about 26-29 koi to a local (nonprofit) Japanese Garden and need the property value to list for charitable contribution tax write-off. Of course I'd compensate you for your time. Any "qualified professional" here want to try or have a recommendation where I can obtain an appraisal? Send me a PM or gmail at my username.

Let me know if this request is better in the "Animal Questions Not Deserving Their Own Thread" or SA-Mart.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Your username should have a trigger warning. Koi are the one area of fish keeping I've never dabbled in so afraid I can't help you out on this one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My tank is cycling still but it has a layer of algae and grime, so I picked up 30 MTS from my lfs. God drat they are ugly.

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!

Dantu posted:

Your username should have a trigger warning.
Why do you think I rarely post? 8)

Dantu posted:

Koi are the one area of fish keeping I've never dabbled in so afraid I can't help you out on this one.
Thanks for the response anyway. Maybe I'll hit up a few local koi dealers.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I want to start a shrimp tank as my first personal aquarium. My dad has a tank with 4 (what I think are) clear Japonica Amano Shrimp, and the little buggers just fascinate me. They share a tank with tiger barbs.

What I want to know is, can I mix different types of shrimp in a tank or do some different breeds require different water conditions? I would like some of the more exotic tiger black/blue shrimp, bee shrimp and so on but not sure if that would work with red sakura or other common shrimp. Want to know before I go buying equipment and start to cycle a tank.

Also, what would be the preferred gravel and plants for shrimp in general? Anything else in a tank they might like? Are there any types of fish or inverts that might get along in a shrimp tank? The Tiger Barbs in my dad's tank are very aggressive and tend to knock the shrimp off of rocks so I'm cautious about even considering tank mates for them.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CactusWeasle posted:

I want to start a shrimp tank as my first personal aquarium. My dad has a tank with 4 (what I think are) clear Japonica Amano Shrimp, and the little buggers just fascinate me. They share a tank with tiger barbs.

What I want to know is, can I mix different types of shrimp in a tank or do some different breeds require different water conditions? I would like some of the more exotic tiger black/blue shrimp, bee shrimp and so on but not sure if that would work with red sakura or other common shrimp. Want to know before I go buying equipment and start to cycle a tank.

Also, what would be the preferred gravel and plants for shrimp in general? Anything else in a tank they might like? Are there any types of fish or inverts that might get along in a shrimp tank? The Tiger Barbs in my dad's tank are very aggressive and tend to knock the shrimp off of rocks so I'm cautious about even considering tank mates for them.
All the exotics prefer more acidic water than cherry/sakura. Cherries are pretty tough though, so they may handle the acidic water OK.

Remember when mixing that a lot of shrimp interbreed and the result usually is a bunch of brown shrimp.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

To elaborate a bit more, shrimps in the same family will interbreed. So snowball cherry shrimp and blue cherry shrimp will just get you brown shrimp in a few generations, but cherry shrimp and crystal shrimp dont interbreed, for example. Amanos, crystal, tiger and cherries are all separate lines of shrimp that dont mix. Cherry shrimp are basically easy mode though, pick the colour variant you want and it's hard to go wrong with them.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

To elaborate a bit more, shrimps in the same family will interbreed. So snowball cherry shrimp and blue cherry shrimp will just get you brown shrimp in a few generations, but cherry shrimp and crystal shrimp dont interbreed, for example. Amanos, crystal, tiger and cherries are all separate lines of shrimp that dont mix. Cherry shrimp are basically easy mode though, pick the colour variant you want and it's hard to go wrong with them.

Also - do not get them a puffer fish for company. It will not end well.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 23, 2014

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Thanks all. I probably wont put fish in this tank at all; I will likely just get a tank of a reasonable size for a decent population of shrimp.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

CrazyLittle posted:

Also - do not get them a puffer fish for company. It will not end well.

But Puffers hunting shrimp is better than anything on HBO.

Seriously I drop some in for my GSP and watch mystified. He's clever, and thinks tactically.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I don't feel like searching the thread, so what is the latest thought on substrates for a planted tank? I'm a saltwater guy that's building out a planted tank.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Having just released a bunch of Mollies from my fry tank into the main tank, I discovered these guys:

I think my Kribs are building or have built a nest..that log is usually flat to the gravel.

I'm quite excited :D

Pukestain Pal posted:

I don't feel like searching the thread, so what is the latest thought on substrates for a planted tank? I'm a saltwater guy that's building out a planted tank.

I use small gravel, about 5-8 mm across. It does the job well enough, even to the point that I remove the lead weight you get with some.

Sonic H fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 28, 2014

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I need a little confirmation on what type of fish this is that my parents have in their aquarium (they never remember what the names are) I'm pretty sure its a bristlenose pleco

Its got to around 5 inches long now and has out grown their tank so needs re-homing so just want to be 100% sure what I'm advertising.

Thanks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it isnt, it's doing a very good job of looking like one.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Looks like a Peppermint too, judging from the prices around where I live they're one of the most expensive BN pleco varieties.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Fun to see how much the tank has changed since May.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Yea I was pretty sure but not being much of a fish person didn't want to chance being wrong and looking like I was trying to scam someone.

Ansith posted:

Looks like a Peppermint too, judging from the prices around where I live they're one of the most expensive BN pleco varieties.

Good to know rather they go to a nice tank than get ££

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

But Puffers hunting shrimp is better than anything on HBO.

Seriously I drop some in for my GSP and watch mystified. He's clever, and thinks tactically.

Well let's just say that after my third mini lobster I realized it wasn't waving "hello" as the puffer swam by.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My plants are dying! When I first added my plants they were growing very fast, but over the last two week I've first seen my hornworts deteriorating quickly, now the cabombas are all but a few falling apart, while oddly my swordtail(?) is thriving even though it did extremely poorly before. Anubias are trucking along fine. I've had the tank with plants for a couple months, added fish a few weeks ago. I am putting in daily doses of Flourish Excel and added some Flourish Gravel tabs a week ago because I thought maybe my plants were dying because of lack of fertilization. It's a sad sight and I have no idea whats happening.

edit: Water parameters have remained stable, fish are thriving

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 31, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Let me see your bettas!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

My plants are dying! When I first added my plants they were growing very fast, but over the last two week I've first seen my hornworts deteriorating quickly, now the cabombas are all but a few falling apart, while oddly my swordtail(?) is thriving even though it did extremely poorly before. Anubias are trucking along fine. I've had the tank with plants for a couple months, added fish a few weeks ago. I am putting in daily doses of Flourish Excel and added some Flourish Gravel tabs a week ago because I thought maybe my plants were dying because of lack of fertilization. It's a sad sight and I have no idea whats happening.

Mine's doing the opposite, the cabomba and anacharis are growing like friggen mad to the point they're sending out roots along the stalks and branching new shoots. I've actually had to cut them back a lot. I didn't do anything beyond planting them in the tank. And the mangroves are building stilt roots, which are gonna look awesome.
All the fish are doing fine including a few new drops of fry, but sadly my swordtail is going blind. He's adapting as best he can, but it's just upsetting to see him feeling his way around rather than seeing and watching the other fish muscle him around at feeding time.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 31, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just used what I've learned with my little planted 8 gallon and lovely little 20 gallon to start a new 55 gallon planted tank!

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009
So, I've got a little problem going on right now. My 50g is going through some issues right now due to a dead barb that was hiding and massive overfeeding. Ammonia and nitrate levels are both through the roof, but I'm doing massive water changes and have cleaned everything else out to try and get those down. But of course, I had a danio die an hour or so ago, and now I can't find him anywhere, so the cycle repeats...

There is still one danio and a three spot gourami in my main tank (we'll see for how long though). I've got a 10g set up as a quarantine tank that currently has two plecos and two odessa barbs, which were almost ready to come out and go into the main tank. There isn't any way I could move the remaining danio and gourami to the 10g temporarily is there? I'm assuming that would be way too much in that tank - but it would only be until I could drain, clean, and cycle the 50g again.

Other than that (or letting the others die) any other suggestions?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Apart from daily 50% water changes til the situation improves there's not much alternatives. If they can all get along in the 10g til the larger tank stabilizes that might be the better option if you're really uncertain about the water quality in the 50g.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

What's the deterioration looking like? Feeding or the plants turning to mush? The situation you're describing has me scratching my head because it sounds like the fish are adding something that the plants arent happy with. Trying to acclimatize to raised nutrient levels? Jeez I dont know. Plus how the hell is hornwort dying!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 1, 2014

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Apart from daily 50% water changes til the situation improves there's not much alternatives. If they can all get along in the 10g til the larger tank stabilizes that might be the better option if you're really uncertain about the water quality in the 50g.

Well, I still have the problem of a missing dead danio somewhere in there. Even with daily water changes, that's still going to pose a problem. And will the 10g really support 2 odessas, 2 plecos, a danio, and a gourami for who knows how long? If it will, then that's just awesome, but that seems like an awfully small tank for that many fish. I've lost 3 danios and 2 barbs this week alone, so I expect that the 2 remaining ones won't be too far behind unfortunately.

Really bad timing, if the quarantine tank didn't have occupants, it'd be an easy solution.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, that's hinging on you finding where the hell that dead fish is too. Hopefully it's just stuck under a rock or something.

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Oh yeah, that's hinging on you finding where the hell that dead fish is too. Hopefully it's just stuck under a rock or something.

Yeah... that's the key right there. We've already turned over every decoration in there and have come up with nothing. I'm trying to plan out based on us not finding the fish - worst case scenario kinda thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Didnt get sucked into the filter or buried under some gravel did it? Though if you're going to root around in the gravel, you might need to move the fish anyway.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

w00tmonger posted:

Just used what I've learned with my little planted 8 gallon and lovely little 20 gallon to start a new 55 gallon planted tank!

Looks nice. Thinking back on mine I wish I made it more of a planned planted than a plant after the fact.

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Didnt get sucked into the filter or buried under some gravel did it? Though if you're going to root around in the gravel, you might need to move the fish anyway.

I've checked both filters and didn't see anything, but it wasn't a very thorough check. Hopefully he isn't under the gravel... that would be a giant pain in the rear end. I'm thinking I'm going to have to move the fish over to the 10g and hope for the best while I start over on the 50g. Anyone else have any suggestions or input on moving the fish?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SynthOrange posted:

What's the deterioration looking like? Feeding or the plants turning to mush? The situation you're describing has me scratching my head because it sounds like the fish are adding something that the plants arent happy with. Trying to acclimatize to raised nutrient levels? Jeez I dont know. Plus how the hell is hornwort dying!

Plants turning to mush, mostly the lower leaves but some are losing all of it. Oddly enough I got two hornworts that are doing fantastically, the others much less so. I am blasting all the plants with light so I'm reasonably sure there's nothing wrong with that, and my 7 little harlequins are certainly not bothering the plants. I got rid of all the crappy looking plants and the entire tank looks very empty now. I'm stopping the Flourish Excel for now, see what happens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sentinel82 posted:

I've checked both filters and didn't see anything, but it wasn't a very thorough check. Hopefully he isn't under the gravel... that would be a giant pain in the rear end. I'm thinking I'm going to have to move the fish over to the 10g and hope for the best while I start over on the 50g. Anyone else have any suggestions or input on moving the fish?

Other than acclimatization, not really apart from adding some rocks or plants if possible to break up lines of sight and give hiding spots for a tank that's going to be a little crowded.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Plants turning to mush, mostly the lower leaves but some are losing all of it. Oddly enough I got two hornworts that are doing fantastically, the others much less so. I am blasting all the plants with light so I'm reasonably sure there's nothing wrong with that, and my 7 little harlequins are certainly not bothering the plants. I got rid of all the crappy looking plants and the entire tank looks very empty now. I'm stopping the Flourish Excel for now, see what happens.

Okay that's a bit I didnt know. Have you just started dosing Excel? Some plants react badly to full doses of excel without acclimitization time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SynthOrange posted:

Other than acclimatization, not really apart from adding some rocks or plants if possible to break up lines of sight and give hiding spots for a tank that's going to be a little crowded.

Okay that's a bit I didnt know. Have you just started dosing Excel? Some plants react badly to full doses of excel without acclimitization time.

I've been overdosing excel for a while to get rid of algae - that sounds like it could be the source of my problem. Ugh

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, congrats, in a way, you found a way to kill hornwort

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SocketWrench posted:

Well, congrats, in a way, you found a way to kill hornwort

I am truly the worst aquagardener :(

Sentinel82
Apr 7, 2009

Sentinel82 posted:

Well, my last danio kicked the bucket while I was at work today. All that's left is the gourami, which I really don't want to lose. I think it's time to move him to the 10g and hope for the best while I drain and clean the 50g.

Right now the quarantine tank is just a glass bottom, should I add any of the freshly washed gravel from my main tank to it? There's going to be 5 fish in it while the 50g cycles again, 1 gourami, 2 barbs, and 2 plecos, with one hollow log decoration. Am I just dooming those fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Oh yes, toss some things like gravel into your other tank since that's where some bacteria that eat bad stuff exist. Make sure there's some decor in there too to give the fish places to hide since the tanks gonna be a bit cramped. Maybe even put the filter from the 50 on the other tank too while you're doing the cleanout, so long as there's no hidden death inside it.