Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Siid posted:

Tenzin will finish Jinora's training in the Spirit World.

It will work without being able to bend there. Don't question it.

Sorry, but I would hate to see Tenzin's ghost in the spirit world. Despite his character growth in Book 2, he does not the same level spiritual connection as Iroh, Aang and Jinora have and he's accepted that. If Tenzin bities it (not too sure if it happens), I rather see a grieving Jinora get her tattoos and try create a culture that blends the old traditions with something more modern.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The spirit world is not the afterlife, also.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dervyn posted:

Sorry, but I would hate to see Tenzin's ghost in the spirit world. Despite his character growth in Book 2, he does not the same level spiritual connection as Iroh, Aang and Jinora have and he's accepted that. If Tenzin bities it (not too sure if it happens), I rather see a grieving Jinora get her tattoos and try create a culture that blends the old traditions with something more modern.

If he can enter the spirit world, which Tenzin has done, he can choose to stay there. Iroh entered there and asked permission to stay before his body died, and the spirits granted his request. It's like uploading your soul to another computer, before your own computer goes bust. Trust me, my people know all about the interdisciplinary fields of computers, spirits and avatars.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand... Wasn't Iroh only allowed in because he'd had so much tea in his life that he was mistaken for a plant spirit?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Regalingualius posted:

On the other hand... Wasn't Iroh only allowed in because he'd had so much tea in his life that he was mistaken for a plant spirit?

Does this mean I can get a pass to the spirit world by getting high everyday? SOLD!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does this mean I can get a pass to the spirit world by getting high everyday? SOLD!

420 Cactus Juice 'erry day

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fried Chicken posted:

420 Cactus Juice 'erry day

Sokka confirmed for chilling in the Spirit World, regaling the spirits with tales of his space sword and trusty boomerang.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Ravane posted:

If he can enter the spirit world, which Tenzin has done, he can choose to stay there. Iroh entered there and asked permission to stay before his body died, and the spirits granted his request. It's like uploading your soul to another computer, before your own computer goes bust. Trust me, my people know all about the interdisciplinary fields of computers, spirits and avatars.

Are you forgetting a major piece of Tenzen's character is that he can't enter the spirit world? He walked in through the portal, which is kinda cheating, in a way. But if he ends up figuring out how to meditate into the spirit world while getting the poo poo kicked out of him, it will be a major flaw in his character arc at best.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

Are you forgetting a major piece of Tenzen's character is that he can't enter the spirit world? He walked in through the portal, which is kinda cheating, in a way. But if he ends up figuring out how to meditate into the spirit world while getting the poo poo kicked out of him, it will be a major flaw in his character arc at best.

I agree that Tenzin shouldn't be able to transport himself to the Spirit World in the middle of getting killed, but it is possible that he has developed the ability to enter since the last season. We haven't seen him do it yet so this is all speculative, but the facts that A) he has had a major spiritual epiphany onscreen since the last time we saw him fail to enter and B) the Spirit and Human worlds are closer than ever reasonably imply that he can now enter at will.

Or not. Like I said, totally speculative

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

TheModernAmerican posted:

Tenzin* couldn't enter the spirit world previously because he was too focused on his failures and successes as the son of the avatar, that he forgot all other aspects of himself. The entire point of being tossed into the Fog of Lost Souls was for Tenzin's realization that he is more than just Aang's son. He is a brother, husband, father, and friend to many, and all those collective attributes make him who he is, not the title of Avatar's son.

With Tenzin finally achieving that peace of mind, it was implied that he could finally meditate and reach the spirit world if need be, though not as well as Jinora who already has a very natural connection to the spirits.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Bout time for some bitchin fan art

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Ravane posted:

With Tenzin finally achieving that peace of mind, it was implied that he could finally meditate and reach the spirit world if need be, though not as well as Jinora who already has a very natural connection to the spirits.

Was it? I thought he just came into acceptance that he did not have to be able to do everything Aang could (in airbending) and is just proud of Jinora instead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Randomly saw this Toph/Lin fanart and thought it was pretty :3:

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I'm in a hotel that blocks Imgur for whatever reason so I can't see all this fanart at the moment... :(

But anyway, here's a podcast (Nerdist Writers Panel) with with Mike and Bryan talking everything from AtlA to Korra.

EDIT: At the end of the podcast, they explain that the crazy TV schedule was NOT due to the leaks.

Jorghnassen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Wildeyes posted:

Bout time for some bitchin fan art

Those first two are absolutely stunning.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, put a trigger warning on that poo poo, Mako.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Proof that tumblr has produced something of worth at lease once in the entirety of its existence. :allears:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

oh god :ohdear:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Tomorrow is the 2 part finale right?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yep.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

It was nice knowing Tenzin. :(

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the decision they've made. Earth Queen is gone, leader of the Air nation, all that's left is the water tribe chiefs and the fire lord.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

It was nice knowing Tenzin. :(

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the decision they've made. Earth Queen is gone, leader of the Air nation, all that's left is the water tribe chiefs and the fire lord.

There's also the president of Republic City. If there's a bit setpiece final that isn't Tenzin-focused I'd kind of bet on them going after him to bring it full circle.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I lost my poo poo. That loving music sting.

Jesus.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If he's not dead this is a masterful fake-out.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hasn't been established that the Facebook page is pretty terrible at implications?

EDIT: Or spoilers, I should say. Have they ever faked out before?

iSheep fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 21, 2014

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
In a lot of ways killing Tenzin would make dramatic sense. You can't really have a hero who has a super reliable and effective mentor guiding them all the time. The only other option is to make him look like an idiot, which only works so long.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barlow posted:

In a lot of ways killing Tenzin would make dramatic sense. You can't really have a hero who has a super reliable and effective mentor guiding them all the time. The only other option is to make him look like an idiot, which only works so long.

No, there is another option, which is to show that any one teacher can only give you so much, and that you need varying viewpoints and mentors. Which they've already done. Tenzin's been busy with the new air nation... while he's still a mentor figure to Korra, he hasn't actually actively been her mentor much this season, at all.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

thexerox123 posted:

No, there is another option, which is to show that any one teacher can only give you so much, and that you need varying viewpoints and mentors. Which they've already done. Tenzin's been busy with the new air nation... while he's still a mentor figure to Korra, he hasn't actually actively been her mentor much this season, at all.

And he actively sought out Korra's advice a few episodes ago, too!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'm kind of impressed there haven't been any real spoilers for the finale so far, given this show's track record with leaks.

But with all of the production crew and advanced-copy reviewers saying this finale is "intense" or a "doozy," I'm now convinced at least one major character is going to die.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Barlow posted:

"The old air nation has been mentoring the new air nation, but now is the time for the latter to come into its own"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I almost don't want to say this considering that, with my track record of predictions, if I say that Tenzin might not die then it's 100% guaranteed that his rear end is grass forever. But I feel like, if they were gonna kill him off, then the end of the last episode would've been the time to do it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'll honestly be pretty bummed if they kill Tenzin. I actually think for them it'd be a real bitch to characterize though, which is why I'm still banking on him being (barely) alive. He's got 4 kids, two siblings, a wife and a mom that they'd have to show grieving and good lord that's a lot of emotion to shove into a "kid's" show.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I just saw the "Which Ship Do You Want To Happen More" poll on Nick's Korra site and oh god guys please don't encourage that subsection of your fandom. :cripes:

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think Zaheer would kill Tenzin last episode. It's hard to threaten to kill someone who is already dead.

I don't think Zaheer wants to kill Tenzin at all. He is not a ruler backed up by financial, legal and military power like the Earth Queen or the mayor of Republic City. He is much more of a spiritual leader of the type Zaheer is a great admirer of and if he could convince Tenzin to let the new airbenders become an anarchy going forward then Zaheer would be fine with letting him live. I mean, if he saw how the Air Nomads were currently running, that's pretty close to an anarchy anyway, with Tenzin being more a de facto leader who often allows other people to take the lead. But for now he wants Korra for whatever reason so he needs the new air nomads all rounded up, and he needs Korra to believe he is willing to kill a ton of innocents. Zaheer would have to become pretty unhinged to kill Tenzin just because he "represents the old world" even if in actuality he doesn't conflict much with Zaheer's views or goals.

Frankly I don't find the foreshadowing of Tenzin's death to be all that heavy. It is common for a character who is slated to die to have a near-death experience first, such as Tenzin's beating this past episode. As well as a proving they are badass moment. But I don't think the "mentor needs to die so the student can come into their own" thing is really at play in this story. Zuko came into his own with Iroh still alive. Aang came into his own still able to contact all his past avatars for advice any time he wanted (something Korra has already lost, so in a way losing Tenzin would just retread those themes.) It's a big world and whatever Korra faces next season, Tenzin could simply be too preoccupied to help her. There is a lot more of Tenzin's character to explore as well.

If anything, I think Zaheer is going to kill Tonraq. Tonraq has kinda stood out to me this season. Pretty much any scene he is in, he doesn't need to be there for any dramatic purpose, yet he has gotten a decent amount of screen time for a character who could have been put on the backburner completely this season. He's a leader of the traditional sort that Zaheer is against. He has also been shown to have a history with Zaheer so it is likely they will have another confrontation, and for dramatic purposes Tonraq will not be the one to take Zaheer down basically because he's not a major enough character to beat the main bad guy in a cartoon. So he will lose any confrontation he has with Zaheer. Tonraq's involvement this season seems to me to just be a way for him to deliver himself to Zaheer for execution.

But I would not be surprised to see nobody die, or get defeated or ended or brought down. Main characters in Avatar have plot armour. Last episode good guys were being exploded and falling down sheer cliffs and surviving. They might make an exception here and there, but by and large good guys survive in this show. If the Dark Avatar Spirit Plunging The World Into Ten Thousand Years of Darkness didn't kill any major good guy then the Red Lotus doesn't have to.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nutranurse posted:

I just saw the "Which Ship Do You Want To Happen More" poll on Nick's Korra site and oh god guys please don't encourage that subsection of your fandom. :cripes:
Tenzin x Zaheer

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nutranurse posted:

I like that relationship drama* hasn't been a plot point AT ALL during season 3. Maybe a cursory mention of it in episode one?
*Of the dating sort.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

nutranurse posted:

At first I thought "more sand sails," then I realized you meant relationship.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ravane posted:

At first I thought "more sand sails," then I realized you meant relationship.

I'm upset that shipping is becoming mainstream enough that someone in somewhere in Nick was like "yeah, so our gross old-people audience for Korra is all about that shipping poo poo! lets make a poll on it! :haw:" and the other people at that table weren't like "what's shipping" and then "wait, it has nothing to do with cargo manifests and everything to do with obsessing over what character is loving what other character? gross no gross"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

nutranurse posted:

They were encouraging that and poking fun at fandom topics since season 3 of the original series.

• Locked thread