Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Packin up, getting ready to leave, oh what's that <blink>SSL CERTIFICATE EXPIRED ON MULTIMILLION DOLLAR ECOMMERCE WEBSITE</blink> guess I better get my coat off and save the day. Again. Like I did last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spazz posted:

This is what a lot of people miss. They don't realize that if they don't cap off those unused connections it can add a poo poo load of noise to the line.

I did not know this! Time to get another tiny shipment from amazon!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you have a splitter, but you're not using it, why is it still even plugged in?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

anthonypants posted:

If you have a splitter, but you're not using it, why is it still even plugged in?

If they're anything like us, they probably have a 3 or 4 way splitter but only using maybe 2 ports. I need to order some of those. Looks like one of the Comcast techs removed some (all of ours had caps at one point).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

If nothing else did, this post made my :10bux: worthwhile. Thank you.

One point about the passive return amplifier. EVERYTHING gets amplified that's coming into your house/apt. So if your problems are caused by bad SNR (<30dB or so) then this won't fix it. That's an issue for the provider (amplifier should be placed right after the drop into the house).

NOW WITH THE DERAIL DONE

loving have a prima donna at work. His problem is he's smart and knows he's smart, and just assumes that everyone will take what he says at face value. Hell, that's what everyone has done in the past. The problem is, our group was specifically recruited to be stuffed with SMEs. Some with different areas of expertise, but all whip-smart. That's OK, a period of adjustment and he'll see he's no longer a special snowflake and we'll be humming along like a well oiled machine.

Ha. It is to laugh.

He's always been fairly abrasive and arrogant. If he's called out on something he gets EXTREMELY defensive and treats everything as a personal attack. He's used the name of my boss's boss in vain (got shut down quick when he started doing that), taken the ENTIRE credit for group efforts (fortunately no one really believes it), and has to butt in on every topic. He's a dilettante in some subjects, but likes to play off like he's an expert in that as well. I'm actually beginning to suspect that his "expertise" is mostly bluff. Don't get me wrong, he is knowledgeable, but the depths don't appear to be quite as deep as he thinks.

That is all coming to a spectacular head.

Lately, I think he's been pouty about the fact he doesn't rise above the rest of the team. We can easily keep pace and sometimes pass him by and this bothers him. A lot. I used to think "well maybe he has Asperger's" in my more charitable moments. Now I'm just convinced he's socially retarded.

Well, he's been.. brusque to our clients on conference calls. There's being blunt, and then there's being condescending and rude. Guess which he is. The aforementioned boss's boss was on a call where this happened.

It did not go down well.

Now he's taken to issuing ultimatums. He's challenged on some of his plans for implementation and he flat out says that if he has to do it another way, he will refuse to do it. Manager is NOT pleased with this.

I don't think he's long for this world if he doesn't change his poo poo quick (and really the odds are long on that one). On the one hand, I'd be glad to see his toxicity leave the group. But on the other hand he does actually contribute to the group and we are a VERY lean team and his loss would definitely impact us. But I think most of us are ready to see him hit the door headfirst.

Just had to get that one off the chest. Definitely poo poo that pisses me off.

e: because, Jesus, my loving grammar sucks

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 21, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Some people follow the opposite of the "never be the smartest guy in the room" adage. His self-worth is probably built on being the person who knows more than everyone else. It's probably what got him onto your team. But he's probably having a hard time reconciling the difference between being good and being the only person who's good.

These people usually respond well to two things:

Concrete elaboration of methodology (we're doing foo because x, y, and z), which allows them to see that thought has actually been put in and options considered, so their prospective viewpoint has already been addressed. I'm guessing you have design documents somewhere.

Secondly, learning that they're still extremely valuable even if they're not always driving or rising above. It's easy to feel that average performance is mediocre and that you're replaceable if you're not the cream of the crop. Being on a team full of smart people takes a while to adjust to.

That said, if he's argumentative and giving ultimatums about poo poo and generally acting like a team/project lead when he shouldn't be, it's not worth keeping him around. I know how hard it can be to replace people. But you're going to have a hard time filling his position or opening a req as long as he's in it. It's better to have a team which runs smoothly than with someone wrenching up the works, even if it means it'll be more load on you for a while.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

That said, if he's argumentative and giving ultimatums about poo poo and generally acting like a team/project lead when he shouldn't be, it's not worth keeping him around. I know how hard it can be to replace people. But you're going to have a hard time filling his position or opening a req as long as he's in it. It's better to have a team which runs smoothly than with someone wrenching up the works, even if it means it'll be more load on you for a while.

There's probably a ton of guys who are almost as good who would kill to be on a team full of experts. For this guy, this position is an attack on his ego that's making him and the rest of the team miserable, for someone else it could be a dream job.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Come in this morning and have one of those "Did X make it into production yesterday?" emails. Well the ticket says it hasn't, the thing that it was adding isn't there so what do you think? Also I have to agree about the project manager thing. It is all mine and my until the poo poo hits the fan then it is suddenly "I am not technical! You fix it!".

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

edit: misclick

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

anthonypants posted:

This was one of the things the tech addressed when he came out. We have internet, but no cable. When the house was built, they put cable connections in 4 rooms and a 6 way splitter in the box in the basement. He capped everything that was not in use.

Of course that didn't help that much, given that every time we have a problem lasting more than 3 minutes, we call in and get the "from your address, we see there is an outage in your area" message.

Amd my former company tried setting up teams of experts to address problems. Unfortunately they used the GE model of layoff the lowest 10% every year. Even when they made allowances for the fact that were experts, they lost some folks who were concerned that they could be laid off and left.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

flosofl posted:

loving have a prima donna at work.

Sounds like a person I work with. Also sounds like my abnormal psych textbook's list of symptoms for narcissistic personality disorder.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

This was one of the things the tech addressed when he came out. We have internet, but no cable. When the house was built, they put cable connections in 4 rooms and a 6 way splitter in the box in the basement. He capped everything that was not in use.

I'd just replace the connector with a proper 3-5GHz one that will fulfill the necessary number of lines. If you don't need to split it at all, just get an extension and ditch the splitter completely.

None of this will help if the line in your area is bad in general. After over 6 months of fighting with Comcast over intermittent issues a few years ago, the FE who came out to my house admitted that there's someone in the neighborhood with lovely wiring that is putting noise back on the line and affecting everybody else. It's since stopped, so the only thing I can imagine is they shut them off or fixed it for the person.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spazz posted:

After over 6 months of fighting with Comcast over intermittent issues a few years ago, the FE who came out to my house admitted that there's someone in the neighborhood with lovely wiring that is putting noise back on the line and affecting everybody else. It's since stopped, so the only thing I can imagine is they shut them off or fixed it for the person.

We had this happen to a customer and the Cablevision tech went outside, climbed the pole and put a trap on the dude's line right after he figured it out. It was pretty cool.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Spazz posted:

None of this will help if the line in your area is bad in general. After over 6 months of fighting with Comcast over intermittent issues a few years ago, the FE who came out to my house admitted that there's someone in the neighborhood with lovely wiring that is putting noise back on the line and affecting everybody else. It's since stopped, so the only thing I can imagine is they shut them off or fixed it for the person.

At my old house I came home to no internet after work, called Comcast and I was the dude with the lovely wiring (I knew it was poo poo, it was all rg-59 that was 30+ years old, I was actually getting ready to rewire the house myself), they had turned it off because I was loving everyone else up, they were doing planned upgrades and maintenance to our whole area and as part of that they were re-wiring houses like mine, so a short while later 4 trucks rolled up and redid my whole house (free of charge even) including from the pole to the house itself.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Gunjin posted:

At my old house I came home to no internet after work, called Comcast and I was the dude with the lovely wiring (I knew it was poo poo, it was all rg-59 that was 30+ years old, I was actually getting ready to rewire the house myself), they had turned it off because I was loving everyone else up, they were doing planned upgrades and maintenance to our whole area and as part of that they were re-wiring houses like mine, so a short while later 4 trucks rolled up and redid my whole house (free of charge even) including from the pole to the house itself.

That was really nice of them. Did you make them cookies or drop off a bottle of scotch?

I came home from a short trip one Saturday evening to no Internet. Checked the obvious stuff and them went to look at the outside wiring. The owner of the rental house next door had mowed right over the cable where it came out of the ground and went up the pole, severing the cable completely. Tech showed up to fix it in about 20 minutes on a Saturday evening around 7:30 PM. I just hope my cable company never gets bought out by Comcast. Having to deal with CenturyLink at work is bad enough.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Regional VP calls Monday afternoon to report his laptop running extremely slowly. I was having trouble remoting into it and he didn't have time for me to troubleshoot. So I spend the last two days leaving him messages trying to get time to work on it. He ignores my messages.

He sends me an angry email this morning to call his cellphone immediately about his laptop. He doesn't answer. I emailed him to let him know I called and got his voicemail.

I think we all know where this is going.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Regional VP calls Monday afternoon to report his laptop running extremely slowly. I was having trouble remoting into it and he didn't have time for me to troubleshoot. So I spend the last two days leaving him messages trying to get time to work on it. He ignores my messages.

He sends me an angry email this morning to call his cellphone immediately about his laptop. He doesn't answer. I emailed him to let him know I called and got his voicemail.

I think we all know where this is going.

$1500 bonus time !

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How exactly do people think they can "quit" a job by emailing the whole company to say goodbye without talking to HR first? Uh yeah seeya, we don't have your laptop so I hope you didn't expect to get that last paycheck.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
It's it wrong that I've just volunteered to come in next week in the middle of a week off to make sure a colleagues account get terminated with the extreme prejudice it deserves :getin:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

In the same way that people think if they copy in the VP of IT to their email to me that I will some how jump on it rather than tell them to follow the process and raise a ticket. I.E. I am super important and people will care.

fluppet posted:

It's it wrong that I've just volunteered to come in next week in the middle of a week off to make sure a colleagues account get terminated with the extreme prejudice it deserves :getin:

Depends, do you have a personal beef with the guy? If so then nope it will feel satisfying to do.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
The guy has caused the team nothing but pain and has come close to losing us customers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gonna kill this guy. Emails me some stupid update, like "xxxx fixed the invoice page, the ID wasn't carrying over blah blah"

Okay cool.

But no, as soon as he hits send, he walks over (I have my headphones on because I was working on web poo poo all afternoon) and then precedes to repeat the email word-for-word.

I don't need a status update or some bullshit chit-chat every time you walk by my area.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

fluppet posted:

It is wrong that you are going in. You should be jumping on a VPN and doing it from the beach.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Packin up, getting ready to leave, oh what's that <blink>SSL CERTIFICATE EXPIRED ON MULTIMILLION DOLLAR ECOMMERCE WEBSITE</blink> guess I better get my coat off and save the day. Again. Like I did last year.

Step one: New appointment, 1 year from now, entitled "Go home early today, don't ask yourself why just do, get out of the building right now and turn off your phone"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
You'd think a multi million dollar ecommerce site could at least spring for a 3 year cert

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

AutoArgus posted:

Step one: New appointment, 1 year from now, entitled "Go home early today, don't ask yourself why just do, get out of the building right now and turn off your phone"

This but better to book a two week holiday starting the day before. Tell them you're thinking of going to Tibet to sit and breathe with some old guy who lives half way up a mountain.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Verizian posted:

This but better to book a two week holiday starting the day before. Tell them you're thinking of going to Tibet to sit and breathe with some old guy who lives half way up a mountain.

"I'm going to a commune in Vermont and will deal with no unit of time shorter than a season." :colbert:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I already had a Motorola SB6120 so I knew and they knew they couldn't BS me about the modem. Finally I said "gently caress it" and bought a passive return signal amp for about $40 on Amazon. Suddenly, all my problems disappeared. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use a splitter make sure you use a 2GHz or 3GHz splitter instead of a 1GHz (most of the cheap ones found in Home Depot or Radio Shack), they're not that much more expensive. Also, make sure that everywhere you split the signal, you use equal length coax. If you have a splitter and removed a device, either remove the splitter or place a75 Ohm end cap on the unused connector.

The coaxial in my house runs all over the loving place. I've got one splitter for sure in my garage, and I'm guessing a couple others in the attic/elsewhere. Let's say I replace the ones I find with higher bandwidth units, but I miss one somewhere. Is there any benefit at all downstream of the low-bandwidth splitter? Also there's a feed connector in the garage maybe twenty feet after it comes into the house, and I'm sure there are probably others elsewhere. How much are those going to gently caress up my signal? The drop from the utility pole actually comes under the street and up a little rubber tube right where my driveway meets the house, and who knows what the condition of that fucker is.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

The drop from the utility pole actually comes under the street and up a little rubber tube right where my driveway meets the house, and who knows what the condition of that fucker is.

If you mention that you're having signal problems you may be able to get your cable company to come out and run a wire directly from the TAP into your house to your modem. That will tell whether or not the issue is in your house or the line to it. I had to specifically tell the guy to do that, and the lightbulb went off in his head and he did it. Turns out the issue wasn't the wiring in my <10 year old house.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
#GPTP Chat.

So you have just fired off your first salvo. An important decision is about to be made. Do you...

A: Flush and be the bathroom champion.
B: Refuse to flush and be the bathroom villain.

I feel like my coworkers go for option B: every day and its vile. This pisses me off. I swear I am going to contract pink eye from the air.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

#GPTP Chat.

So you have just fired off your first salvo. An important decision is about to be made. Do you...

A: Flush and be the bathroom champion.
B: Refuse to flush and be the bathroom villain.

I feel like my coworkers go for option B: every day and its vile. This pisses me off. I swear I am going to contract pink eye from the air.

I have auto flushers at work, everyone is a bathroom champion whether they want to or not!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have auto flushers at work, everyone is a bathroom champion whether they want to or not!

It doesn't courtesy flush though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm a huge advocate of the direct approach with people to get them to change their bad behavior, but sometimes you just gotta break down and leave a passive-aggressive note shaming them into not doing poo poo like this. Literal poo poo.

Efficacy not guaranteed.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

You have to figure out which you hate more: People not flushing, or passive-aggressive notes. I'm having that internal struggle right now over people parking like assholes at work. This one person in a big fuckoff SUV keeps backing in and taking up two spots, and they get in early so it's spots right next to the building. It annoys me far more than it should...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

We have had someone leave passive aggressive notes this week about not putting apples in the same basket as other fruit as it makes them go off quicker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Spazz posted:

You have to figure out which you hate more: People not flushing, or passive-aggressive notes. I'm having that internal struggle right now over people parking like assholes at work. This one person in a big fuckoff SUV keeps backing in and taking up two spots, and they get in early so it's spots right next to the building. It annoys me far more than it should...

I have never personally keyed a car. I would guess though that people who park like that basically ask for their car to be keyed. I just never understood the thought process.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My boss just arrived, walked by my office. We made eye contact, I smiled and raised my hand to say "Hi" and he just walked right by to his office next door without saying a word.

What a goddamn hump this guy is. It's why I get so annoyed when I hear him yucking it up with other people, proving that the cold shoulder I've gotten from day one is intentional. I don't even do that to co-workers I dislike, let alone my own staff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spazz posted:

I tried for a really long time at my old office to get people to throw out their old food from the communal fridge. When that didn't work, I left labels and a pen taped to the front door so people could at least date and label their food so people could know if it was old or not. Eventually I had to leave notes. Then the notes became notices that I would be cleaning out the fridge on X date.

It got to the point that I was coming in on a Sunday to scrub down the fridge and throw out 80% of it's contents. It's me, I'm the fridge nazi.

(My tolerance for filth is extremely low, and I regret nothing.)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

BigPaddy posted:

"I am not technical! [...]".

Ive been telling them: "...and yet, you work for a technical company, in a technical department, that does technical things for technical customers. See anything wrong with this picture?"

I fully expect an HR complaint soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been put into a position of authority, over a few people who don't feel like I deserve it and who have no incentive to listen to me. Awesome.