Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Noah Taylor as Johnny Royale. I don't know who he is but he looks perfect.

He's an Australian actor probably best know as Locke from Game of Thrones although people might also remember him from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rulin's probably the one that looks most like the comics, and that's only if she's playing later, Retro-Girl Callista, if they have her as the kid Walker befriends, then she's way, way older. Which makes me sad, because that "What's the clitoris?" scene is one of my favourite character intros in comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think it's ever been confirmed how many arcs the first season is going to cover.

Stuff will likely be shuffled though. They wouldn't cast Eddie Izzard just for that one scene Wolfe has in the first few arcs.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
No T-Mobile girl, no watch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She still doesn't have any acting credits besides a short. Maybe she's why the first pilot didn't work.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Walker is always drawn like he's built like a brick shithouse so if they casted Sharlo Copley they might be going for a different direction to the character.

Gaz-L posted:

Rulin's probably the one that looks most like the comics, and that's only if she's playing later, Retro-Girl Callista, if they have her as the kid Walker befriends, then she's way, way older.

"This is Callista, I helped her out when she was a kid"
The timeline of the comic is pretty wonky though, in the first issue Callista looks like 8 or 10 at most, but the next time she appears she's like 16. They also probably want to avoid the whole "my surrogate daughter is the re-incarnation of my former lover" creepiness.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Adrianne Palicki has been cast as Mockingbird on Agents of SHIELD.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

lomzus posted:

Adrianne Palicki has been cast as Mockingbird on Agents of SHIELD.

I love this new era of Marvel outright trolling DC

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the troll? Cause she was wonder woman in an unaired pilot? Is Mockingbird a similar character?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If that's a troll it's not a very good one since she's a terrible actress.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

She'll fit right in with Agents of SHIELD then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Michael James Shaw has been cast as Papa Midnite in Constantine. If you're asking "Who?" well that's because he hasn't really been in anything.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waterhaul posted:

She'll fit right in with Agents of SHIELD then.
You know there were a lot of problems with the first season, but really most of the cast was okay to good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Michael James Shaw has been cast as Papa Midnite in Constantine. If you're asking "Who?" well that's because he hasn't really been in anything.

Meh as long as he's a good Papa Midnite I don't really care. Also hooray more Papa Midnite!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aphrodite posted:

Ton of Powers casting the last few days.

:words:

I've never seen a casting list that has been simultaneously so completely unexpected and so intriguing.

Sharlto Copley is one of the most interesting people on screen I've seen in years.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Brian Patrick Wade is playing Absorbing Man in Agents of SHIELD. Along with the Mockingbird announcement it looks like Marvel has realized that people actually want Marvel comics characters in their Marvel comics show

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dacap posted:

Brian Patrick Wade is playing Absorbing Man in Agents of SHIELD. Along with the Mockingbird announcement it looks like Marvel has realized that people actually want Marvel comics characters in their Marvel comics show

A month before the season premiere, they've already confirmed something like half the number of new-to-MCU Marvel characters that were in the entirety of S1. So yeah, that's definitely one respect in which they've learned from the backlash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A pity they can't just kill the whole team and start fresh with decent actors and concepts. Especially Skye. I really really hate that character.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm holding out hope that they are aware of the criticisms in their writing of the main characters and will improve upon them through out the second season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

God-willing. I'm totally ok with getting on-board with AoS if it's one of those "ignore 95% of the first season" shows like Parks & Rec.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Considering the show improved so much after The Winter Soldier, I have high hopes for season 2

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Dacap posted:

I'm curious to see where they're going with this and how they'll adapt him. That guy has ties with Loki and is a legit opponent for Thor, the Hulk, and for the Avengers.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
AoS really should've started around the time of the Winter Soldier because the entire first season was waiting on Cap 2 to happen before anything significant changed in the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Diabetic posted:

AoS really should've started around the time of the Winter Soldier because the entire first season was waiting on Cap 2 to happen before anything significant changed in the show.

I dunno. I agree it took too long, but it woulda been better if say, a month of building the team and shield before everything goes to poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also y'know, a roster of characters that weren't all transparent attempts to emulate Whedon's Buffy formula. For the top-secret top-tier team of SHIELD agents they're all remarkably immature save for Dragon Lady and Whitebread McCheese. Plus Skye is just ill-conceived on every goddamn level.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like Skye. Her hacking isn't magical jargon but instead usually social engineering, and starting as a non agent she brings real conscience and humanity to the team.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skye will presumably get more interesting as they focus on what she is next season

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

greatn posted:

I like Skye. Her hacking isn't magical jargon but instead usually social engineering, and starting as a non agent she brings real conscience and humanity to the team.

She's an overgrown child with the worst kinds of ill-defined skills and talents being thrown onto a team of trained professionals. Her whole "conscience and humanity" schtick doesn't quite fly when she's working alongside people who are presumably trained to function at a higher level in more complex situations than any amount of "real folk common sense wisdom" is prepared to deal with. It'd be one thing if they showed she was constantly full of poo poo and needed to shut the gently caress up and listen to the professional scientists and soldiers, but that's clearly not how she was conceived. She's the Troi of the show.

Opopanax posted:

Skye will presumably get more interesting as they focus on what she is next season

Here's to hoping. I'll take good mushrooms out of poo poo than fake flowers on astroturf any day.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 22, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

greatn posted:

Maybe I've just completely forgotten, but when did she ever socially engineer anything besides the one time she got them tickets to that one event? Because all I remember about her hacking is that it was the exact type of bullshit encryption back-server double-hacking that you'd see on CSI. I liked her character and think that she's easily one of the better parts of the show (though to be fair this is largely in part to most of the other parts of the show being so weak pre-TWS), but let's not pretend that the show's gone out of its way to make her abilities realistic, or to portray her as just very clever rather than a literal computer wizard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm expecting this season's big finale cameo from the movies to be Bucky. Though I can't see how you do it without embarrassing the rest of the cast.

"OK, May, you take out the guards, Skye, you hack the mainframe, Trip, cover her, Simmons, drug the rest of the bas- what?"

"Um, the Winter Soldier just completed the entire mission while you were talking, Sir."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man how cool would it be if Sebastian Stan joined the cast while he waited for the Cap role.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bunnyofdoom posted:

I dunno. I agree it took too long, but it woulda been better if say, a month of building the team and shield before everything goes to poo poo.
I think its a better show when you can binge through all that poo poo rather than wait week after week and break after break.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dacap posted:

I don't know about that. Most of the audience isn't familiar with the comic book characters, and there is nothing stopping the writers from creating interesting new characters (Diggle and Felicity on Arrow, Montoya and Harley Quinn in the DCAU) other than their abilities. People saw Guardians of the Galaxy because it was coming from the hottest brand in movie making these days, but they liked it because it was a good movie in its own right.

I think they'd just decided to coast on the season-long arc before Winter Soldier, which was a big mistake plotwise.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 22, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I rather like how they had Skye react like a regular person to a lot of stuff.

OMG they used crazy super science to bring me back to life! What should I do?
Uh, you're alive after being dead, just accept it.
Oh good point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know about that. Most of the audience isn't familiar with the comic book characters, and there is nothing stopping the writers from creating interesting new characters (Diggle and Felicity on Arrow, Montoya and Harley Quinn in the DCAU) other than their abilities. People saw Guardians of the Galaxy because it was coming from the hottest brand in movie making these days, but they liked it because it was a good movie in its own right.

I think they'd just decided to coast on the season-long arc before Winter Soldier, which was a big mistake plotwise.

While I agree that the dearth of canon Marvel characters is far from the primary reason why SHIELD hemorrhaged viewers over the first ten episodes (if you're looking for things Marvel Studios did to really kneecap the show creatively, I'd point more to the limits they imposed on the use of superpowered characters as a general concept and barring the first 15 episodes from portraying SHIELD or anyone in it in a negative light), I definitely think it exacerbated the backlash.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The tie in to the movie hurt the early season a lot. You can tell they were just spinning their wheels after a certain point, the setup was done but they couldn't move forward.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They also had to straight up delay showing episodes because they obviously couldn't show the post-TWS ones before the movie actually came out. Even with the Olympics break and sweeps they still had like a 2-3 week period of no episodes, which didn't exactly help the show keep its anxious fans' interest. I think there was a stretch at one point where they aired like 3 episodes over a 2 month period.

That and they kept complaining that people were asking for Iron Man, when all most fans wanted were some B/C/D-listers to just make the universe feel a little more alive and not have to resort to things like Generic Death Laser, or Bland Enemy Tactician...guy... (which was still easily the worst character/arc on the show by a mile in my book).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mockingbird was literally the character i was asking for at the start. Though I wonder what Avengers 2 characters we'll see. Elizabeth Olsen couldn't be that expensive could she?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the scheduling was horrible, especially for a show that was doing okay in the ratings and wasn't just being aired to fill up space / run out the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Oh man how cool would it be if Sebastian Stan joined the cast while he waited for the Cap role.

He's going to have to wait a long time because I don't think you'll ever see Bucky Cap in the movies.