Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo

I was on the fence about ACKS and I'm buying it tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Moreleth posted:

I was on the fence about ACKS and I'm buying it tonight!

Well then, here are some things we learned about ACKS!

- Start in a small (Class IV/V) village. This is important to make the market economies matter and gives you a reason to move on to bigger cities later.

- Begin with a mostly empty hex map of the world. Lay out some major landmarks maybe, but be prepared to let a lot of the dice write a lot of your fiction for you.

- Be prepared to hunt through the book a lot for rules. It's somewhat confusingly organized (things which seem like they belong in one section being in another), but if you've got questions my group has sorted most all of it so I'm happy to help out!

- Consider starting at level 4. Level 1 is your "barely an adventurer" level, and it's kind of implied that you're little more than a henchman you pass level 3 (in fact Henchmen are only available for hire for levels 1-3). If you want to pull yourselves up by your bootstraps then by all means start with Level 1 PCs, but your characters won't be very distinct until level 3-4. In retrospect a lot of that low-level slog burnt us out.

- The custom spell research rules and class building rules are in the Player Companion, if that's what is interesting you

- Having every player have at least 1 (if not 2) henchmen is a good way to go, I believe -- it gives them more to think about during the combat phases, and it gives them a character to fall back on for the remainder of the adventure should their PC meet a grim end.

- Have everyone roll 3-4 characters and stat them up, then pick 1 to use. Place the sheets for the unused characters in a folder, and have the GM draw on those for incidental NPCs.

- The book gives you tons of random tables for monsters, treasures, etc., but don't be afraid to write things explicitly as well. I think the system works best as a way of "filling in the gaps" between set pieces.

- Pay attention to time/turns. The PCs need to rest 1 turn for every 5 spent exploring. This factors into the wandering monster mechanics.

- Be sure to roll reaction and encounter distance! The game has decent odds of throwing some seriously out-leveled stuff at you, but that's supposed to be balanced by the fact that that Eye Beast might not have noticed you, or it might be indifferent to your presence, or you might have spotted it some 100 yards away.

- Move Silently is your stealth check -- that doesn't mean that you have to have the skill to be sneaky, though. If you succeed at Move Silently, you cannot be heard; if you fail, than anyone who might be listening has the chance of rolling a listen check (which they still might quite possibly fail at).

- When in doubt, the DC chain goes: 4 / 7 / 11 / 14 / 18.

- Most skill proficiencies like seafaring can be taken again to stack that bonus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That makes me a lot more interested in running ACKS; it seemed really dry and fiddly to me in contrast to what really speaks to me as a retroclone (DCC.)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The way ACKS angles at being an adventurer simulator kind of gets me going. It seems like a viable way to effectively create your own Record of Lodoss War. Though I'm sure that has more to do with the fact that ACKS is derived from the same game as RoLW.

It's Dungeons and Dragons all the way down.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
ACKs does sound really interesting--I'll probably grab the PDF for the wound table and to read about the different systems you mentioned. It seems a little too in depth for me to run straight; I like the idea of a functioning economy and everything, but knowing how many mercs are available based on the wealth class of surrounding hexes seems a little beyond what I'm willing to do.

I've played a few DCC funnels and ran it briefly--the aforementioned player basically delivered an ultimatum saying he wouldn't play it anymore after 5 or 6 sessions, and I didn't fight him about it, even though my brother was really into it. I haven't read much of the main DCC book, but I'll start doing that now. My one concern with DCC is that the magic system seems very different from other retro games, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use the vast amount of random material I've amassed. Though I suppose the game isn't meant to be balanced, so it shouldn't matter too much.

I have the other domain thing coming in the mail--"An Echo, Resounding", I think. I really liked Stars Without Number and someone had recommended it earlier in this thread, so I thought it might give me some ideas for how to use the different domains to organically stir up the sandbox.

Anyway, I really love this thread--tons of great information here. Reading the 5e thread made me want to post an insane grog essay so I stopped reading it and discovered this one!

On a different note, I've been listening to the Roll for Initiative podcast, and it's alright. Are there some other ones out there that I should be checking out?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Part of the problem is DCC doesn't work if all you do is run funnels. They're nice as a change of pace, but they sell short a majority of the magic in the system.

Arivia posted:

That makes me a lot more interested in running ACKS; it seemed really dry and fiddly to me in contrast to what really speaks to me as a retroclone (DCC.)

This is kind of what we ended up deciding (Dry and fiddly) but I think we were trying to force it into being an "Adventure" game instead of an "Exploration" game, where all that fiddly-ness was extra apparent. The nice part is that you can feel free to drop whole components at-will if you'd like.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Stars Without Number is pretty awesome. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a fantasy port for it, because I reckon the mix between old school D&D and old school Traveller works quite well. Yes, I know there's Spears of the Dawn (which is loving awesome), but I meant something closer to how Stars Without Number works, only in a fantasy setting. Probably wouldn't be too hard; you just need to work out what tech levels different weapons and armour would be, redo the weapons skills, and remove the skills that don't make sense (possibly adding a few from Spears of the Dawn if they make sense). The classes work as is, though the backgrounds and training packages will need updating to reflect changes in skills. Port in money and prices from Basic D&D, and you're probably all set.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hectorgrey posted:

Stars Without Number is pretty awesome. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a fantasy port for it, because I reckon the mix between old school D&D and old school Traveller works quite well. Yes, I know there's Spears of the Dawn (which is loving awesome), but I meant something closer to how Stars Without Number works, only in a fantasy setting. Probably wouldn't be too hard; you just need to work out what tech levels different weapons and armour would be, redo the weapons skills, and remove the skills that don't make sense (possibly adding a few from Spears of the Dawn if they make sense). The classes work as is, though the backgrounds and training packages will need updating to reflect changes in skills. Port in money and prices from Basic D&D, and you're probably all set.

I don't remember--are the SWN tags for random planets sci-fi specific, or are they general enough you could just tailor them slightly to come up with hooks for random settlements, lairs, and dungeons, if you were doing a fantasy version?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't remember--are the SWN tags for random planets sci-fi specific, or are they general enough you could just tailor them slightly to come up with hooks for random settlements, lairs, and dungeons, if you were doing a fantasy version?

They're generic enough. He also already did the work if you want a fantasy version - check out Scarlet Heroes, which is just amazing period.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

hectorgrey posted:

SWN is also the Bundle of Holding deal for the next two days or so, and you can get the game and all the bonus stuff for about $20.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Evil Mastermind posted:

SWN is also the Bundle of Holding deal for the next two days or so, and you can get the game and all the bonus stuff for about $20.

Are all those books full of random tables and stuff that could be used for other systems? I'm doubtful we'd ever play SWN as written; I tried to get someone to run it but he just used the tags for his ridiculously complex home brew.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are all those books full of random tables and stuff that could be used for other systems? I'm doubtful we'd ever play SWN as written; I tried to get someone to run it but he just used the tags for his ridiculously complex home brew.

The core book is, I don't know about the others (I still haven't read them yet).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So have you guys heard about the currently being kickstarted DCC product Peril on the Purple Planet? It's a planet fantasy hexcrawl that started as an adventure, but is being basically turned into a mini-setting boxed set. So I don't come off as just advertising something I'm really excited about, let's talk about some cool resources to help enable old school science fantasy gaming.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 3, 2014

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

So have you guys heard about the currently being kickstarted DCC product Peril on the Purple Planet? It's a planet fantasy hexcrawl that started as an adventure, but is being basically turned into a mini-setting boxed set. So I don't come off as just advertising something I'm really excited about, let's talk about some cool resources to help enable old school science fantasy gaming.

I'd say Jack Vance's "Planet of Adventure" series would hold a ton of inspiration, if you've not read it. Most of his work, actually, would probably fit the bill for good ideas to swipe for a science fantasy game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Planet of Adventure" is a particular favourite of mine. You can get a compilation of all four novels for a few bucks, and it's a shorter, quicker read than any given volume of most fantasy series today.

As for how to facilitate science-fantasy, sword-and-planet games...you know, this is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. Guardians of the Galaxy got me rereading my old issues of Warlock and Silver Surfer, and it struck me that very few games manage to convey the sense of wonder in sword-and-planet adventure stories or epic science-fantasy, nor do many support it mechanically.

Science-fantasy has its roots in the pulp magazine era before speculative fiction was divided into marketable genres, and I think it depends very much on the audience's willingness to accept the story on its own terms, instead of trying to quantify and categorize everything. In a RPG, this can become doubly difficult if the players reject the conceits or the themes of the game and instead try to gently caress around with some concrete bit of the setting to see what happens, or to follow some bit of "realism" to its logical conclusion. (Please stop me whenever I'm not making sense.) Granted, you probably won't have that problem if the players have already signed on to play some kind of old-school D&D.

As for how to actually support it...the only thing I can think of is to start with a system that doesn't strive for realism or try to categorize everything. Don't distinguish between science and magic, or let rayguns and real-world tactics be superior to a space-Hussar with a space-sword charging on a space-horse. As for me, I would likely take a lot of stuff from Mutant Future and mash it up with Labyrinth Lord, or with some more work, Darker Dungeons.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 4, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Apparently Cubicle 7 is kickstarting a Lone Wolf RPG. Which is confusing to me because I already own Mongoose's Lone Wolf RPG.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

Apparently Cubicle 7 is kickstarting a Lone Wolf RPG. Which is confusing to me because I already own Mongoose's Lone Wolf RPG.
What we need is a Sagard the Barbarian rpg.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

dwarf74 posted:

What we need is a Sagard the Barbarian rpg.

Way of the Tiger please.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lightning Lord posted:

Way of the Tiger please.

Arion-games publishes (or used to publish?) Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition, although there is regrettably not a setting book for Way of the Tiger.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

My one regret is... that I have... boneitis.
Wow, haven't logged in here in a while.

I wanted to go back to ACKS and DCC a little bit. I'm actually in the same group as Hubis, and mostly agree with his assessment of ACKS, though I think I'm a little more positive about the system (though I also only got a chance to GM very briefly, so maybe I'd have a slightly different opinion if we'd kept going longer and I had a chance to run the longer module I was preparing). I do think that what our group ended up doing with the system violated a number of the assumptions the game makes (we almost immediately went to a Class III market, and didn't really do much exploration or hex-crawling, though what little we did do I thought was super fun, and we all had multiple characters that we switched in and out which kind of messed with the xp progression and such (though not that much)). The game really is meant to play a more sandboxy type game than a story driven one. That's not to say you can't tell good stories with it, or that those weren't fun, but it's definitely intended for a more sandbox/exploration type game (which honestly might have been part of why I was so excited about it at the start. I've been wanting to play a game like that for a while).

I'm actually hoping some time down the road to try to run a much more vanilla sandbox ACKS game, where the adventurers start out of in the hinterlands and going to a big city is a big deal (and difficult). With a mostly open (to start with) map with just a bunch of dungeons and such on it, and only the barest of setting materials figured out at the start. I'd then love to let the world develop in play and though the players choices and exploration. I also might actually use Dwimmermount for it (I should be getting my copy of the ACKS version next month! That's been a really long wait!), to give the group a sort of tent-pole mega-dungeon to center things around, but with lots of opportunity to explore other places. Anyway, I have no idea when I'd be able to run this game, but some day I hope to. I think there are parts of the ACKS system we didn't really touch that could be fun in the right context, and others that we did touch, but not really in the right context.

Oh, and yeah, I totally agree on the mortal wounds, and tampering with mortality tables: Those are a lot of fun, and would be VERY easy to port into another D&D based system. In fact I would probably recommend doing so!

As for DCC, that's a very very different system, but I would say just as if not more, fun. DCC is pretty gonzo, but in a really awesome way. The charts can make it seem like everything would be slow, but in general, from what little I've played, and from what I've heard from others, they're actually pretty smooth running and quick, they just insert a lot of randomness and flavor into situations. As Hubis said, the game has a very specific attitude which are pretty much built into the rules, and the game is very unapologetic about that. And that's awesome. I'm super excited about the two boxed set adventures that are coming out (Purple Planet is just 4 hours from finishing up on Kickstarter!). I think they'll be super fun, especially the Purple Planet which seems right up my alley.

Anyway, I hope to keep up around here a bit more, and see what you all do with ACKS and/or DCC!

DrOct fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 11, 2014

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

A Strange Aeon posted:

ACKs does sound really interesting--I'll probably grab the PDF for the wound table and to read about the different systems you mentioned. It seems a little too in depth for me to run straight; I like the idea of a functioning economy and everything, but knowing how many mercs are available based on the wealth class of surrounding hexes seems a little beyond what I'm willing to do.
[snippity]
I have the other domain thing coming in the mail--"An Echo, Resounding", I think. I really liked Stars Without Number and someone had recommended it earlier in this thread, so I thought it might give me some ideas for how to use the different domains to organically stir up the sandbox.
Much as I love ACKS, the domain system is very spergy. I referred halfassedly to it when building my hex crawl, but now that it's played-in (characters are lv. 6+) I use An Echo, Resounding for the actual month-to-month campaigning. AER works great for my slightly off-the-cuff style of gamemastering. But really, both approaches are good - it's a matter of personal preference which system to use.

The neat thing about AER is that it's pretty abstract, so it's easy to slot into almost any D&D or retroclone game. Unless WotC comes up with something similar, I can absolutely see myself using it for my upcoming D&D5 game.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

VacuumJockey posted:

Much as I love ACKS, the domain system is very spergy. I referred halfassedly to it when building my hex crawl, but now that it's played-in (characters are lv. 6+) I use An Echo, Resounding for the actual month-to-month campaigning. AER works great for my slightly off-the-cuff style of gamemastering. But really, both approaches are good - it's a matter of personal preference which system to use.

The neat thing about AER is that it's pretty abstract, so it's easy to slot into almost any D&D or retroclone game. Unless WotC comes up with something similar, I can absolutely see myself using it for my upcoming D&D5 game.

I haven't heard of that game before, would you mind talking about it more?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just an update, we’re going to go with a DCC funnel, then switch to Rules Compendium; probably just using the backgrounds from DCC, but the combat and other stuff from RC. I still need to get the ACK pdf and check out that wound table, but RC seems like it will work. I asked the one guy who I didn’t think would want to do old school at all if there was any old school system he’d be interested in trying, and he said RC, so that should be fine. It’s compatible enough with all the OSR stuff I’ve been compiling and there’s some quirky, interesting stuff in the rules that I like.

Such as, the fact that 9th level magic-users can build a tower, and then a dungeon underneath it, where, after the first floor of the dungeon has been completed, if they leave an unguarded entrance, monsters will start moving in, and that magic-users do this on purpose for experiments or to make contact with monster races. It’s just such a weird idea and says a lot about the implied setting, I really like it.

I did get AER and it is really awesome. Looking forward to using that hex program to generate a map and then use the AER rules to come up with some regions. Speaking of hex maps, I know there’s several blogs that go over the creation of them, but is there an example somewhere of how to actually run them in play? The drill-down method seems kind of cool—where you have the larger scale map, then blow up an individual hex at a smaller scale, with more details. But then do you sort of use that blown up map like a board in a board game? How much of the smaller scale map is visible to the players, or is it just a blank one and you describe the current and adjacent terrain types from your master map, and they fill it in with colored pencils or whatever?

I like the idea of that kind of exploration—but not sure the best scale for it. And some landmarks they’d be able to see from a distance, like a tall tower or the beginning of a forest, or a mountain. I guess those things I could fill in on their blank map before handing it to them, if they’d be visible. But the moment to moment of filling in a map seems like it’d be fun, especially with the risk of encounters, and giving the PCs landmarks so they have agency to pick the direction they want to head off in. Or rumors that something they seek is in a certain large scale hex, with some clues, so they have to search around the small scale hex for it. And interesting descriptions of terrain, especially with the AER stuff for potential resources or ruins they might spot a few hexes away and note down to check out later. Just not sure the best scale to do it at, or how to actually run it at the table. Like, should the scale be they can travel 2 normal hexes in a day, or 1, or 6? And then how many small scale hexes should they be able to travel? Should the time scale go to turns at that point? I kind of really like the idea of them searching small scale hex by hex for something, marking it off on their map once they’ve searched a spot and not found the dungeon entrance or whatever; and then maybe they find something else instead.

It's confusing because everything I've read about hex maps is basically "Hexes can be 8 miles, 24 miles, or 36 miles" or something similar, where it's not very clear why you'd choose one of those scales over another.

Something that’s been becoming more apparent to me the more I read older rule sets is the notion of time as a distinct measurement. That the players have a turn where they accomplish something, then they take another turn, then I check for random encounters, then their torch burns out after so many turns, then they have to rest 1 turn in every 6, etc.—when we’ve played before, there wasn’t that sort of economy, so outside of combat, things were just pretty vague as far as time tracking went. But it seems to me that if the players are aware of turns as a resource, that the more difficult to cross terrain has mechanical effects, that resting after every encounter has potential disadvantages, that they can move so far each turn in the dungeon, then a lot of old school dungeon exploration and hex crawl stuff sort of clicks into place for me.

Someone mentioned Dwimmermount—is that actually coming out? I always liked reading about that campaign on Grognardia—did he actually write it up? Speaking of, I like that blog—turned me on to some good pulp fantasy and science fiction.

Oh, and not really old school (except in a historical sense) but this really got me imagining what a dungeon would be like. Seems like it would be a really cool setting for an adventure. Talk about a true dungeon: http://sometimes-interesting.com/2014/05/09/derinkuyu-the-underground-cities-of-cappadocia/

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's confusing because everything I've read about hex maps is basically "Hexes can be 8 miles, 24 miles, or 36 miles" or something similar, where it's not very clear why you'd choose one of those scales over another.
Let's talk about hex baby.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

This

But in general, 24mi hexes correspond to "geographic" distances, and things like "how far can you go in a week of travel". On the other hand, 6-mile hexes are about a specific area, and are better for questions like " how far can you go in a day?" Beyond that you've got your hundreds lof-yards hexes that are good for general layout of a specific fort, village, site, etc. Think about the level of abstraction you want that point of the story to have, and use one of those scales accordingly.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
After playing Palace of the Vampire Queen and several early D&D 0e dungeons, I have to say the experience feels very different than modern tabletop RPGs. The earlier modules were very much designed to take you from level 1 to 10, assuming you could survive; but didn't necessarily limit you to just that dungeon. You would make progressively deeper explorations into a dungeon, looting and killing to clear things out; but occasionally hex-crawling to mini-dungeons in order to obtain things that the group really really needed; like protection from level drain, or to restore levels. Whenever main dungeon content was cleared out, but level drain/party wipe made it impossible to proceed, we'd just switch dungeons and explore until we were strong enough to re-attempt the original dungeon.

Story existed, and sandbox was there, but the focus was primarily on the dungeon and not knowing what strange and weird thing you would encounter next. I really enjoyed character development too, because there aren't any skills to learn, there were only a few class/equipment restrictions, and you could pretty much play the character you want rather than be pigeon-holed into a set role or class.

Some observations I made while playing: We started our games out with save or die vs. poison, but that got to be a bit harsh so we switched to Judges Guild Ready Refs poison rules, which balances out much better. The first time we encountered hell-hounds, the DM ruled that their breath attack would act like a dragon's, so each one hit the entire group, and the way that OD&D breath attacks work is that the damage is fixed at the HP of the creature breathing, so these hounds were 8hp and immediately did 24 damage and wiped out all but one level 6 character. We haven't encountered them again, but the DM said that next time he would try a different interpretation of the rule and only allow them single-target jets of flame.

Hex-crawling in OD&D is also extremely dangerous; there is a 1 in 8 chance on any terrain type of encountering dragons. Now saying that, there is a pretty high chance they will be in their lair and additional high chance they will be asleep, but still. OD&D is a high-stakes adventure, and I can't tell you the number of times I've survived against what I perceived to be impossible odds; for such a simple game it has some of the biggest emotional payoffs I've ever experienced in a tabletop game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
D&D really did start out as dungeon crawling wargame with veterancy rules for me. It's one of the reasons I'm the grog I am today. I enjoy that. So starting to use the Outdoor Survival board rules for non-dungeoning was a really big thing.

Volume 3 -- Underworld and Wilderness Adventures, from the original White Box set posted:

jewels.
The terrain beyond the immediate surroundings of the dungeon area should be unknown
to all but the referee. Off-hand adventures in the wilderness are made on
the OUTDOOR SURVIVAL playing board (explained below). Exploratory journies,
such as expeditions to find land suitable for a castle or in search of some
legendary treasure are handled in an entirely different manner.

OUTDOOR SURVIVAL has a playing board perfect for general adventures.
Catch basins are castles, buildings are towns, and the balance of the terrain is as
indicated.

Castles: As stated, the ponds indicate Castles. The inhabitants of these strongholds
are determined at random. Occupants of these castles will venture out if a
party of adventurers passes nearby. If passing over the castle hex there is a 50%
chance (die 1-3) that they will come out, if one hex away there is a 33-1/3%
chance (die 1-2), and if two hexes away there is only a 16-2/3% chance (die 1).
If the party is on the castle hex and hails the castle, the occupants will always
come forth if the party is not obviously very strong and warlike. Patriarchs are
always Lawful, and Evil High Priests are always Chaotic. All other castle inhabitants
will be either hostile to the adventurers (die 1-3) or neutral (die 4-6). Determine
the occupant of a castle as follows:

Fighting Men within castles will demand a jousting match with all passersby of
like class. Otherwise they will demand a toll of from 100 to 600 Gold Pieces from
the party. If a joust takes place (use rules from CHAINMAIL) the occupant of
the castle will take the loser's armor if he wins, but if the character wins the
castle owner will host all in the party for up to one month, supply them with two
weeks of rations, and provide warhorses (Heavy) if the party so requires.

Magic-Users from castles will send passersby after treasure by Geas if they are not
hostile, with the Magic-User taking at least half of all treasure so gained, the Magic-
User having first choice of magical items and automatically choosing Miscellaneous
Magic, Wands/Staves, or Rings (in that order) in preference to other items. Otherwise,
the Magic-User will require a magical item from the passersby as toll, and if
they have no magical items suitable for use the Magic-User will require a toll of
from 1000 to 4000 Gold Pieces.

Clerics will require passersby to give a tithe (10%) of all their money and jewels
If there is no payment possible the Cleric will send the adventurers on some
form of Lawful or Chaotic task, under Quest. Generally Evil High Priests will
simple attempt to slay Lawful or Neutral passersby who fail to pay their tithes.

Guards: In addition to those men or monsters accompanying castle residents,
there will be a number of men aiding in defense. From 30 to 180 men will man
the walls, one-half of whom will be crossbow armed light foot, and the balance
will be heavy foot. Those castle residents who are accompanied by men or creatures
capable of riding or able to make near equal speed will be mounted on
horseback, as will their men be mounted. There is also a chance that there will be
others in the castle's party.

REFEREE'S MAP is a wilderness map unknown to the players. It should be for
the territory around the dungeon location. When players venture into this area
they should have a blank hexagon map, and as they move over each hex the referee
will inform them as to what kind of terrain is in that hex. This form of exploring
will eventually enable players to know the lay of the land in their immediate area
and thus be able to select a site upon which to build their castles. (Castle building
and its attendent requirements will be covered hereafter.) Exploratory adventures
are likely to be the most exciting, and their incorporation into the campaign is
most desirable. Exploration by foot is at normal speed. Horsed parties will travel
at the speed of a draft horse, and exploration by air will be at half normal flying
speed.
MOVEMENT:
Type # of Hexes
Man on foot 3
Wagon or Cart 4
Draft Horse 5
Heavy Horse 6
Medium Horse 8
Light Horse 10
Raft 10(3)
Boat 15(5)
Merchant 12
Galley 20(6)
Type: (Flying) # of Hexes
Balrog 15
Dragon 24
Griffon 30
Hippogriff 40
Roc 48
Pegasus 48
Broom 40
Carpet 30
Efreet 20
Djinn or Air Elemental 30
(Numbers in parenthesis are for swamp movement)

Large Party Movement: Parties numbering over 100, including pack or draft animals,
will incur a 1 hex penalty. Parties over 1,000 incur a 2 hex penalty.

Terrain Penalties: All terrain penalties are as stated in OUTDOOR SURVIVAL,
mountains and swamps cost three movement per hex, crossing rivers at non-ford
hexes also costs three, and woods or deserts cost two. Tracks through mountainous
terrain cost two factors per hex moved, and tracks through woods or swamps
incur no movement penalty.
Rest: All creatures must rest after six days of movement. Rest must be at least
one full day. Exception: Dragons who travel for three weeks must sleep one full
week if their mode of travel was walking, and they must sleep for three full weeks
if their mode of travel was flight.
Scale: Assume the greatest distance across a hex is about 5 miles.
Turn: Each move will constitute one day. Each day is considered a turn.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

My one regret is... that I have... boneitis.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Someone mentioned Dwimmermount—is that actually coming out? I always liked reading about that campaign on Grognardia—did he actually write it up? Speaking of, I like that blog—turned me on to some good pulp fantasy and science fiction.

That was me, and yes it looks like it is FINALLY coming out (The Labyrinth Lord Version should start shipping very shortly, and the ACKS version should start shipping next month. I'm pumped): https://muleabides.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/dwimmermount-the-wait-is-over/ (Updated the link to one that's probably a better summary of the situation).

DrOct fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 14, 2014

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Just found this little nugget of advice in Dragon magazine's Sage Advice column:

quote:

DR032 Dragon #32 Q: Is a wand of fire balls like a staff, in that if you break it it will cause an explosion?
A: If you break your wand, all you will have is a broken wand. The only staves capable of a final strike are Staff of the Magi and Staff of Power.

DR032 Dragon #32 Q:Can a god grant an elf the ability to become a druid?
A: No. A god or goddess can grant the ability for an elf to be his or her priest or priestess, but he can’t bestow upon an elf druidical powers. Druids get their powers from nature. Now, a god who might take pity on your elf may change him or her into a human, but I doubt it. You might also find a wish that will let you change into a human, but other than that your elf is never going to be able to be a druid.

DR032 Dragon #32 Q: I have a female character who has gotten herself pregnant. How should I handle this?
A: I don’t really want to answer this question now, but since your letter is not the only one presenting me with this problem, I will say this much. Stop fighting, practicing magic and doing other things that cause stress. The chances of losing the child are great, and you don’t need to add more to it. During this time period, medicine was still progressing and it still wasn’t too great. Most of it was old wives’ tales. After you have given birth, it will be months before you can even begin to get back into shape and practice your skills. Female characters who find themselves with child soon find themselves retired. This is an occupational hazard that should be avoided. Don’t fool around and chance of gaining at all that experience you could be getting because you are with child or just had one. It is not fair, but that is life. The reason I don’t want to say more is because I am working on an article for The Dragon about women in D&D and some of the problems they face. I also intend to cover pregnancy in the different races and how to handle it.

It's good to see that this issue existed before the internet.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I do like how the answer is basically "Yeah, you should probably retire that character - at least for a while".

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
After many scandals and delays, Dwimmermount's finally out!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So, I've started up an AD&D(2e) game with friends, because I think the system is a little more refined for storytelling than Basic. Still, I know basic is still popular with many for its quick dungeoneering capacity. I say this all because I thought I'd create a character sheet for people to use. If you guys dig it, I might do one for ACKS or similar systems. I'm absolutely planning something for AD&D.

I also don't know if this counts as :filez: or not.
You can download it here: Click!

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 21, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've never understood why 2e is more for story telling. I used some 2e setting books, and their monster manual because it had like 800 monsters or something ridiculous but the 2e core books made my eyes glaze over. What do you mean refined for storytelling?

That's a good sheet. I like the hit matrix.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 21, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I've never understood why 2e is more for story telling.

Because the DMG says so. Seriously, that's probably most of it - especially back when it was published.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Most of 2e's reputation for story focus comes from the wealth of new campaign settings with less focus on traditional dungeoncrawls. Actual changes in the core rules that could be seen as more "story-focused" include:

1. Changing classes to remove some of the idiosyncrasies of Greyhawk: the monk and assassin were cut, the druid and illusionist were made into subclasses, and the bard and ranger were changed.
2. A bunch of specialist magic-user subclasses and some specialist cleric subclasses
3. The Gordian clusterfuck of surprise, initiative, combat segments, and weapon speed was simplified/cut.
4. Non-weapon proficiencies were added to the core rules, and thieves got to spend their skill increases from a pool as they leveled up. (The idea that adding a skill system made the game more "story-focused" shows just how creaky the 1e ruleset was by the time 2e came out.)
5. Explicit direction on awarding XP for non-combat accomplishments.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
To be fair, BECMI already had proficiencies (both weapon and non-weapon) as an optional rule. It did it somewhat differently, and in the case of the latter didn't limit it by class, but yeah.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Most of 2e's reputation for story focus comes from the wealth of new campaign settings with less focus on traditional dungeoncrawls. Actual changes in the core rules that could be seen as more "story-focused" include:

1. Changing classes to remove some of the idiosyncrasies of Greyhawk: the monk and assassin were cut, the druid and illusionist were made into subclasses, and the bard and ranger were changed.
2. A bunch of specialist magic-user subclasses and some specialist cleric subclasses
3. The Gordian clusterfuck of surprise, initiative, combat segments, and weapon speed was simplified/cut.
4. Non-weapon proficiencies were added to the core rules, and thieves got to spend their skill increases from a pool as they leveled up. (The idea that adding a skill system made the game more "story-focused" shows just how creaky the 1e ruleset was by the time 2e came out.)
5. Explicit direction on awarding XP for non-combat accomplishments.

I grew up with 2e and later, and it's the main reason I never felt compelled to play with other people. I mean who wants to spend 6 hours role playing boring story filler crap and circle jerking about character builds. Looking back at the differences now, skills took away much of player agency and turned it into progress quest.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Dang, tripped and fell into a pool of grog. 2e is what I grew up with and refined was a poor choice of words from sleep. Really I think 2e did cut out and simplify some of the clusterfuck from first, but it's also the load of additional rules and supplements that facilitate some story stuff on top of my dungeon crawling. Mostly I just wanted to share a character sheet! I thought a more modern looking sheet would help. :v:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I was just asking because I've never played it before, jeeze. Grog claiming is hilarious, you play 2e.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CountingWizard posted:

Looking back at the differences now, skills took away much of player agency and turned it into progress quest.
Huh? NWPs didnt really advance much. Roll vs a stat and usually pass/fail.

edit: Youre thinking of 3e maybe. The worst e.

• Locked thread