Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm sorry that I buy all of the Koei and Square-Enix DLC and support this inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"That's just how they do it" is not a good excuse, and again, if the consumer has to research whether or not a complete edition is actually complete, just use another loving word that doesn't imply that it is. The Mass Effect collection not containing the DLC is also bullshit and doesn't excuse Koei either.

Are people really supporting misleading advertising just because they like the company that does it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Never said it was right. Just that their whole industry is like that so fighting it is rather difficult.

Incidentally, the PC/PS4 version is called "Dynasty Warriors 8 + Extreme Legends" in Japan which really is a better title. "Complete" was added by someone on the localization branch.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you get so bent out of shape over what is a fairly common practice amongst all produced goods (not including future additions in the "complete" version) then you may want to reconsider your stance on spending a minute or two on Google before making purchases.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally, I am angry because I bought Dynasty Warriors and did not become a member of a sequence of ruling descendants. False advertising, me thinks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you are blind buying period in this day and age, especially internet buying, there's no helping you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"That's just how they do it" is not a good excuse, and again, if the consumer has to research whether or not a complete edition is actually complete, just use another loving word that doesn't imply that it is. The Mass Effect collection not containing the DLC is also bullshit and doesn't excuse Koei either.

Are people really supporting misleading advertising just because they like the company that does it?

No, I'm just saying that "it says complete in the title, I was tricked" is a silly thing to say. Advertising is misleading. This is what it does. Being honestly surprised and upset about regular advertising (as opposed to advertising which openly and actively lies) is silly. You can and should research something before you buy and believing something "because it was implied" is being a bad consumer who is asking to get scammed or tricked.

If a company actively lies (as in provides information that misleads informed consumers), then yes that is something to be seriously upset about. If you made an assumption that wasn't stated anywhere and didn't bother to research? That is being a bad buyer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 21, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I wasn't, I figured there would probably be attempts to gouge on DLC, but that doesn't mean that it's a good thing for them to do. Yes, I realize they do it openly, and it's possible to look things up and see that they're being deliberately misleading. But the best solution is them not being deliberately misleading in the first place, a la the Japanese title Moki brought up. The fact that it is so commonplace is directly related to the fact that people are so willing to accept it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I wasn't, I figured there would probably be attempts to gouge on DLC, but that doesn't mean that it's a good thing for them to do. Yes, I realize they do it openly, and it's possible to look things up and see that they're being deliberately misleading. But the best solution is them not being deliberately misleading in the first place, a la the Japanese title Moki brought up. The fact that it is so commonplace is directly related to the fact that people are so willing to accept it.

They're not being dilberately misleading. The game contains the complete package. You, yourself, assumed "complete package" means "everything that has or ever will come out for the game" as opposed to "the complete collection of released games." This is not a case of intentional misleading. This is the thing you don't seem to get. They called it "Complete Collection" because it is fairly reasonable to call it that, no matter what the dictionary definition says. It is every Dynasty Warriors 8 release in one package. They did not mislead anyone as to the DLC coming out, the information is openly and publicly available and has been for some time.

You're not wrong that in a better universe there would be absolutely no possible way for anyone to misunderstand anything and a company wouldn't be charging insane awful prices for DLC. However that isn't the same as an active attempt to mislead which is what you seem to think it is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Something Awful never mentions you having to pay for basic features that even invisionfree forums have, like changing your avatar or PMs anywhere. It says you're buying a forums account, not that the basic account is fairly limited compared to other forums.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you're planning on releasing more DLC before you even release it, don't call it Complete. Is that really that hard to do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you're planning on releasing more DLC before you even release it, don't call it Complete. Is that really that hard to do?

Because you're focusing on a single definition. For example "having all the necessary or appropriate parts" is a valid definition of Complete and Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Collection does in fact have all the "necessary or appropriate parts." It has everything necessary to play the complete game. It does have a number of optional DLCs.

This is why you never make assumptions based off your own personal definition of a word. Research. This is kind if the key to why the complaint is not being taken seriously. This is not a case where Koei lied and said you'd get all of DW8's DLC or even implied it. It's a case of people making assumptions and, whoops, turns out their assumption was wrong.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They can choose titles that don't cause that kind of confusion. Why is "Dynasty Warriors 8 + Extreme Legends" not a better, more accurate title? They specifically chose a title that causes ambiguity, that's their fault, not the consumers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There seems to be some confusion here. None of us are saying "good job for making it ambiguous to blind buyers, Tecmo." No one. We are just continuously telling you that's how the industry as a whole does it and stopping 8 will not stop 9 and 10 and other franchises in different ways to trick blind buyers.

What is this continuing for another 10 pages?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They can choose titles that don't cause that kind of confusion. Why is "Dynasty Warriors 8 + Extreme Legends" not a better, more accurate title? They specifically chose a title that causes ambiguity, that's their fault, not the consumers.

It's the same title they used for the PS4 and Vita editions. Since it didn't cause issues on those systems, why wouldn't they continue to use it?

EDIT: I'm not saying it isn't ambigious. Just that if they saw it as an issue they would've changed it by now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 22, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I hope you realize you're complaining in a place where the members have no influence over how KT does things. Bitching and moaning in a place where the company theoretically has a presence is one thing. Complaining on a miscellaneous forum full of random weirdos just makes you look silly.

I don't think anyone here is really in disagreement with you. Nobody here thinks ambiguously misleading marketing is a good thing.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The title says Complete is a perfectly valid reason because the vast majority of customers are not going to see "Complete Edition" and look up whether or not "Complete Edition" actually means complete or just kind of complete, because they shouldn't have to. No one should have to assume that the words in a game's title that describe what content is in it are being used to mean something other than what they're commonly understood to mean. Just because Koei CAN do that, doesn't mean they SHOULD do that.

Yeah pretty much. Its loving amazing people are even defending against this non-sense. People will defend ANYTHING.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

The console version of the complete edition came out way before all the DLC, not that you'd know without looking it up.

Be a savvy consumer. Google poo poo.

People wouldn't have to be savvy consumers if companies didn't pull stupid bullshit like this.

Be a non-oval office. You poo poo.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

yourafagpleasedie posted:

People wouldn't have to be savvy consumers if companies didn't pull stupid bullshit like this.

Right, so let's all just blindly buy things because gently caress the companies, they need to change first!

Edit: Like, I don't think anyone is trying to be insulting. We're just trying to give some advice for the future. Also, if it's any condolences, the dlc is just cosmetic costumes, and the new weapon sets, in my opinion, are really mediocre aside from the emei piercers, which are like the baton but with air dash compatibility.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Right, and if people were not assholes to each other we'd have colonies on Mars. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen and anyone who lives in modern society should know how to actually navigate things. Do research. Be informed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:ironicat:

I fail to see what this tantrum was supposed to accomplish. Don't shoot the messenger, especially when he's just trying to give you a heads up. At least now you know to be a savvy shopper and avoid assuming or jumping to conclusions based on marketing.

DW8XLCE really should not have been called a "Complete Edition" but nowhere did they say the DLC was part of the package. They certainly didn't make any claims to that effect and a misleading release title alone isn't enough to constitute fraud, especially if you got exactly what the storefront said you would. Sorry if this was your first exposure to dodgy marketing practices. Keep an eye out in future because as ever, caveat emptor applies. Vote with your wallet and get the word out if it bothers you enough to do so.

Be the change you want to see in the oh god I can't complete this sentence with a straight face I'm sorry

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So I'm finally getting around to playing Gundam Reborn. It really does feel like they tried to blend DWG2 and 3 and ended up with a game that's less enjoyable than either.

When I finally unlock the ability to increase star difficulty will increasing it make more mooks spawn on maps? What about base difficulty set to Hard? A lot of these kill x dude challenges are tedious as gently caress right now and some seem downright impossible with your allies capturing fields.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jibo posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing Gundam Reborn. It really does feel like they tried to blend DWG2 and 3 and ended up with a game that's less enjoyable than either.

When I finally unlock the ability to increase star difficulty will increasing it make more mooks spawn on maps? What about base difficulty set to Hard? A lot of these kill x dude challenges are tedious as gently caress right now and some seem downright impossible with your allies capturing fields.

You'll unlock an Ultimate Stage called "Kill 10,000 Enemies" or something like that which is nothing but stages designed for grinding mook kills. In terms of the challenge ones, they kinda suck and you have to actually not kill enemies too quickly to avoid capturing stages too fast. Try to avoid destroying boss enemies if you can.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't played one of these since Samurai Warriors 1 or 2 and just started playing DW8, I totally forgot how insane the kill counts could get. Going through the level after the Dong Zhou assassination in Lu Bu's story (like 4 levels in) and every level is upwards of 1800 kills. This particular level was item farming central because of how many supporting generals attack you while you're trying to kill Cao Cao and of course being Lu Bu it's like throwing children in front of a machine gun.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
be aware, snacks whose packaging highlights the "real fruit flavor" contained within may not be made with real fruit, nor have a flavor which is accurate to said fruit

edit: certain cereals may only be heart healthy if consumed in moderation

a "complete breakfast" is not necessarily a healthy one

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 22, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What are you even upset over anymore? I'm not even buying the goddamn game because their pricing model is asinine.

Yo, fuckers gonna try to screw you over inevitably, it's not my personal fault you weird whiner who's weirdly whining at goons as if that accomplished anything. A wise man once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, can't get fooled again." Heed his words, don't buy poo poo blindly.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should have called it Komplete Edition like mortal kombat so they would have an easy out considering "Komplete" isnt a real word.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jibo posted:

I don't think anything affects how many mooks spawn. The trick is usually to let your allies die or get stuck in combat with enemy aces and then just run around farming but not capping fields (especially not reinforcement fields) until you're close enough to the goal to hit it while finishing the map.

Remember that many challenges don't get you anything, maybe only around half of them unlock cards. Unfortunately there's no way to see which ones do or don't without searching through the entire card collection, so I'd recommend just ignoring them until you unlock the ability to fully control difficulty and then going back and getting them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So as I was hoping, people have been uploading the Hyrule Warriors soundtrack to Youtube. Some really great stuff in it.

I preordered it off Amazon and they're going to be shipping it so it comes in on the 26th, so that's nice. Does anyone know if the TP outfit codes are going to come on an insert with the game, or through email, or what?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I bought (or plan to buy) all of the DLC for SUDW8XLCEPC and I'm not even mad.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Since I need to understand. These new weapons have no EX attacks, no musous, since no one has them as preferred weapons? Just the normal and charge attacks?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bloodly posted:

Since I need to understand. These new weapons have no EX attacks, no musous, since no one has them as preferred weapons? Just the normal and charge attacks?

That's right.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I haven't tried the XL ones yet but out of the originals the blade bow is awful, the fire sword is bad, the sabatons are somewhere between bad and okay, the paired fans are alright, and the auto crossbow and emei piercers are actually pretty solid.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jibo posted:

the fire sword is bad

The flame blade seems bad until you realize that you can ignite it automatically by using the Shadow Sprint dash. Then you just start using the powered-up strong attacks over and over and wreck everything.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jibo posted:

I haven't tried the XL ones yet but out of the originals the blade bow is awful, the fire sword is bad, the sabatons are somewhere between bad and okay, the paired fans are alright, and the auto crossbow and emei piercers are actually pretty solid.

I actually thought the bladebow was better than the sabatons. Like, I can almost never get the timing for full powers on the bladebow, but with the Sabayon's, if you miss or your attack is blocked, your combo just ends.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DW7 Empires is $10 for the weekend on the North American PSN.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Policenaut posted:

DW7 Empires is $10 for the weekend on the North American PSN.

How is that by the way? I'm tempted but I can't really find a good breakdown of how the game actually is. It kinds seems like an RTS except victory is decided by playing a Dynasty Warriors level instead of a number generator?

Could I make Wario and have him take over China?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Pretty sure there's a demo if you want to try it. Although, I think it's just of the character creator.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flytrap posted:

How is that by the way? I'm tempted but I can't really find a good breakdown of how the game actually is. It kinds seems like an RTS except victory is decided by playing a Dynasty Warriors level instead of a number generator?

Turn-based. Victory in combat is generally decided via Dynasty Warriors. There may be limits on how many battles you can play out yourself. Generally you have far more control over battlefield conditions via cards and controlling your allies.

Generally during your turn you're gaining cards via various means that provide boosts to your territories, money to buy stuff, and/or combat boosts. There's alliances and some amount of dealing, but not that much.

It's a 'lite' merger of Dynasty Warriors and the Romance games, as I understand it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

PureRok posted:

Pretty sure there's a demo if you want to try it. Although, I think it's just of the character creator.

Yeah, it's just the editor with a mission that lasts 5 minutes apparently.

quote:

Turn-based. Victory in combat is generally decided via Dynasty Warriors. There may be limits on how many battles you can play out yourself. Generally you have far more control over battlefield conditions via cards and controlling your allies.

Generally during your turn you're gaining cards via various means that provide boosts to your territories, money to buy stuff, and/or combat boosts. There's alliances and some amount of dealing, but not that much.

It's a 'lite' merger of Dynasty Warriors and the Romance games, as I understand it.

Huh, that actually sounds pretty fun.