Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting
I've been reading this thread for years and haven taken a lot of great advice from it. I was wondering if you guys could help me with something, or maybe just reassurance is what I need re possible post natal depression.

I have a 2 year old who is a fabulous creature, and a 5 month old, also a fabulous creature. My older daughter was an amazing baby and everything was super easy. My 5 month old daughter has been a bit more challenging. She was born breech and her hips dislocated so she had to wear a Pavlik Harness for 3.5 months. I'm very proud of both myself and her though, we barely missed a beat. She is also not a very prolific feeder, will drink a small amount of milk and declare herself full. The paed said she is a slim baby, otherwise absolutely perfect. With breastfeeding, pumping milk and a bit of formula, she's now thriving. My 2 year old sleeps like a boss, and the 5 month old sleeps through until 5:30-6am, and puts herself to sleep for naps too. So also like a boss.

Anyway, when everything was going on with the emergency delivery (she was turning back and forth since 30 weeks, head down at 40 weeks, but then turned breech during labour), her dislocated hips and the threat of surgery, and feeding issues etc (and the toddler being a toddler at the same time of course), I've stayed happy and positive. However in the last month since everything has been fantastic, I've been feeling really flat and down.

I guess my question is... is it possible to have delayed post natal depression? Or have I just used up all my coping mechanisms when they were really needed, and now I can finally relax and just... feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
A sticker on my son's cheek caused a rash. I put cortisone on it. Any other suggestions?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

An antihistamine might help if it's a reaction to something in the adhesive on the sticker.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Rash chat: A little cortisone cream, and some time, is all it needs. Look at those big eyes. :3:

The Grumpy Snail posted:

Alistair, she is 9 months old, but we've had some difficulty with her stomach, previously. I feel that she needs to have milk first and foremost, just to make sure she doesn't get stopped up again. I'm worried she will decide she doesn't like pooping because it hurts which will cause even more problems.

Vorpal, I don't think we are going to have a problem with her eating. She would eat all the food in the world if I let her. She sits in her highchair while we have dinner and I give her a few cereal puffs to keep her occupied. Timing is just horrible. She gets her last bottle at daycare at 4 or so and we pick her up at 5. She is not interested in nursing until 6 or 7 and if she pretty much puts herself to bed around 7:30 or 8. I guess we could give her a few bites of baby food while we eat dinner, then nurse?

zonohedron, I don't give her breakfast at the moment. She got a "breakfast" of cereal and fruit after her first bottle. I wake her up at 6 to nurse then its off to daycare and work.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much? If I didn't have to work things could take a more natural course. I'm just always worried about not having enough milk to get her through the next day. Its all I think about.

Honestly, I think you are way, way over thinking this, and needlessly stressing. Babies poop less/differently when they start solids; it's just their gut fauna getting used to new stuff. It is unavoidable, and normal. They can go a week without pooping and it's normal and not an issue. 9 months old isn't near old enough to hold in a bodily function willfully--believe me, that joy doesn't start until potty training. :j: If she would eat "all the food in the world if you let her", then let her eat. She's ready. Baby lead weaning, right?

Her evening sounds perfect to me--pick up at 5, eat table food together at your natural dinnertime, nurse later when she's normally interested anyway, then bedtime. Can't ask for a better evening rundown; what would you rather happen? What would a more natural course be? Don't obsess about her/your milk; you're only making yourself crazy, and for what benefit? That should not be "all you think about". How much breastmilk she gets isn't what makes you a good mother, after all. ;) She's happy and healthy, yes? Nurse when you're home, pump when you can, feed your baby some table food, and just relax. :)

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Bambina posted:

I've been reading this thread for years and haven taken a lot of great advice from it. I was wondering if you guys could help me with something, or maybe just reassurance is what I need re possible post natal depression.

I have a 2 year old who is a fabulous creature, and a 5 month old, also a fabulous creature. My older daughter was an amazing baby and everything was super easy. My 5 month old daughter has been a bit more challenging. She was born breech and her hips dislocated so she had to wear a Pavlik Harness for 3.5 months. I'm very proud of both myself and her though, we barely missed a beat. She is also not a very prolific feeder, will drink a small amount of milk and declare herself full. The paed said she is a slim baby, otherwise absolutely perfect. With breastfeeding, pumping milk and a bit of formula, she's now thriving. My 2 year old sleeps like a boss, and the 5 month old sleeps through until 5:30-6am, and puts herself to sleep for naps too. So also like a boss.

Anyway, when everything was going on with the emergency delivery (she was turning back and forth since 30 weeks, head down at 40 weeks, but then turned breech during labour), her dislocated hips and the threat of surgery, and feeding issues etc (and the toddler being a toddler at the same time of course), I've stayed happy and positive. However in the last month since everything has been fantastic, I've been feeling really flat and down.

I guess my question is... is it possible to have delayed post natal depression? Or have I just used up all my coping mechanisms when they were really needed, and now I can finally relax and just... feel?

I'm not a doctor. But I'd say it could be either. Your hormones are still likely in flux and that can also do a number on you emotionally. Sounds like you're doing a great job and maybe you just need a break or someone to talk to?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think pnd/PPD is defined as depression starting within 12 months of delivery, so yes it is entirely possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bambina posted:

Regardless of what else you do, make sure that you see your doctor if you think that you have depression! There's always help, and it might be easily treated.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yay David crawls! About time.

Took him a month longer than his brother to get going, but he seems to be more accomplished from the start, Daniel started earlier as he has always done, but he started clumsily and got better as he kept doing it, David seems to have taken longer to actually start but when he actually started it was like he started at a higher skill level.

Now sleep.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Rory's 17 months old and he's still not saying many words. He'll say "Up" and "hiiii" and "bye!" but that's it. He'll follow directions and knows the words for things we ask him for, and will point at things he wants or take your hand and lead you, but he's mostly just using "up" for everything. When do I need to worry about this?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Madra De Dhia posted:

Rory's 17 months old and he's still not saying many words. He'll say "Up" and "hiiii" and "bye!" but that's it. He'll follow directions and knows the words for things we ask him for, and will point at things he wants or take your hand and lead you, but he's mostly just using "up" for everything. When do I need to worry about this?

Some kids are just late bloomers when it comes to talking. Receptive speech is normally ahead of expressive speech, like you describe. At that age it could be a late bloomer issue, it could be a developmental issue. My stock advice whenever it comes to possible speech delays is if you're even a little concerned it never hurts to talk to their doctor about it. It's better to get testing done and find out everything is fine, than to let it go and leave a delay to sit.

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012

Ok. Yes, thanks. :) I say she's not ready, but maybe it's me that's not ready.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bambina posted:

IANAD, but know that statistically, post-natal depression is worst for most women around 18 months after delivery. This is especially hard because by then, friends and relatives are out of the newborn support mode. We husbands tend to think of the physical needs (helping with changing, etc.) but don't think of the emotional support needs at the 1-2 year mark.

Bottom line is that it's perfectly normal, and quite common. The human body's chemistry is very complex, and resetting it after pregnancy is hard on a person. If you think it's bad enough, talk to your doctor.

In the meantime, it sounds like you have some great kids!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Some cream and a good night's rest later and the rash is gone. Thank you, AlistairCookie. I find myself staring at his big puppy eyes all the time.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Madra De Dhia posted:

My first kid waited until 2 1/2 to really get going, and now he won't stay quiet. My middle kid is 20-months and speaks her own language, with the occasional "mama" and "bye bye" sprinkled in. Kids develop at their own pace.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey guys! I've been home taking care of my little man (He's 6 months now). He's rolling over great, not crawling or really getting up yet, but when we sit him up, he does great. However, my question is somewhat unrelated.

We're pretty sure he's in the starting phases of teething (excessive drool and liking to chew on things), but there's no lighter areas in his gums yet and no teeth (yet). However last night he started getting warm, and today I took his temperature (rectally) and it was 101.6. The wife IS sick, which is probably what he has gotten. We've got Tylenol on hand, and I've given him about 2.5 ml out of a syringe and he has cooled off (Haven't taken his temperature again yet. However, he's sleeping a lot (pretty much wakes up to eat then goes back to sleep). Of what I've read, this is fairly normal for him not feeling well. Is there anything I should be paying attention for? He hasn't thrown up and isn't really cranky, he just seems really tired.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I think the only thing to really keep an eye on is his temp.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
I think that anything below 102, you shouldn't even giving him any medication, try cooling him off with a wet towel, stuff like that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Also keep in mind a rectal temp is about one degree higher than an oral one so a 101.6 rectal is like a 100.6 oral as far as fevers go.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
As long as his fever is pretty low and he's still making lots of wet diapers, everything is golden.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Here is a true single dad question: My daughter is in love with colors, and coloring with crayons, etc. She's 20 months old and so I was wondering when is it appropriate to paint her toenails? She loves sandals and the pool, so I figured it was worth a shot. Getting her to sit still long enough to do that is of course a concern. What exactly do I need in that situation as well?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: nm

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

momtartin posted:

Here is a true single dad question: My daughter is in love with colors, and coloring with crayons, etc. She's 20 months old and so I was wondering when is it appropriate to paint her toenails? She loves sandals and the pool, so I figured it was worth a shot. Getting her to sit still long enough to do that is of course a concern. What exactly do I need in that situation as well?

Nail polish, nail polish remover (I'd go for non-acetone - it takes a little more work to remove the polish with it but it also is less likely to gently caress up anything in gets dripped on), cotton balls for removing. Maybe practice on your own fingernail so you can get the hang of nice thin coats that will dry quickly. They make non-toxic nail polish specifically for kids that are designed to dry quickly and peel off in about a week or so, but since it's just on her toes (and I'm assuming has somewhat grown out of the toe-chewing phase), you could save extra money and just buy grownup nailpolish. I know plenty of people who sarted painting their toddlers' nails at around that age.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

momtartin posted:

:3:
I dunno what people usually think about this kinda thing but I would just do it. If you can get her to sit still, anyway.

It's been a long time since mine was a baby (expecting another now) but I think I probably painted her toes when she was 2. She was like yours and loved colors and pretty girly things.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

momtartin posted:

As soon as you're ready to keep them painted? My 8-year-old paints her own; my 6-year-old does not.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Madra De Dhia posted:

Saw someone else said basically the same, but I remember talking to my wife at our youngest son's second birthday about it, since he didn't say much.

Now...let's just say I never have to worry about silence.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do toddlers love climbing? I have a fifteen month old and he now climbs everywhere. I can't leave him alone for a minute or I'll turn around and see him standing on a very tall coffee table with trying to pull down a painting. It doesn't help that he's something like 98th percentile for height and can reach just about anything for a handhold. When I catch him I try very hard to have no emotional reaction and put him down and say "We may not climb on the table".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Because they can and they couldn't before.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

greatn posted:

Why do toddlers love climbing? I have a fifteen month old and he now climbs everywhere. I can't leave him alone for a minute or I'll turn around and see him standing on a very tall coffee table with trying to pull down a painting. It doesn't help that he's something like 98th percentile for height and can reach just about anything for a handhold. When I catch him I try very hard to have no emotional reaction and put him down and say "We may not climb on the table".

Time for playgrounds. Let them get the climbing out of their system on things they can actually climb safely.

Unrelated but sorta: if anyone is in reasonable driving distance to upstate New York, you must check out this museum. It's seriously the coolest place for kids and I'm kind of retroactively mad at my parents that we never went here despite visiting Rochester fairly frequently.

http://www.museumofplay.org/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It didn't become the "Museum of Play" until around 2006 or so. My family is from Rochester (grew up there) and we visit once a year. We almost went this year with our toddler, but I think he was still a little too small.

If you live in the Raleigh/Durham area, the Museum of Life and Science is pretty great for kids. There's a big outdoor area and an indoor area with stuff for them to play on.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On that note, the Children's Museum of Virginia, in Portsmouth, is pretty great. Lot of hands on stuff on different topics, and it was renovated fairly recently (2009, the entire building was gutted to bring it up to date), so it's looking pretty nice overall.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Philadelphia has the Please Touch Museum if you're in that area.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
To contribute, http://www.citymuseum.org/site/ In St. Louis. Simply awesome.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

Mine figured out climbing before she figured out crawling. I was hoping to novelty would wear off once she could walk but she just turned two and has been walking for a year and will still immediately try to climb anything that looks like it can be climbed in whatever room she is in. Ironically, she has not yet figured out that she could probably climb out of her crib if she wanted, which I intend to exploit as long as possible.

I can't wait until she's a little older. I remember loving the hell out of the museum of science and technology in Ottawa when I was a kid, and I just found out that Ottawa is also home to Little Ray's Reptile (Safari? Zoo? Can't remember) where kids can take workshops with all sorts of big and small reptiles, foxes, a lynx, raptors and big rear end spiders. When she's less o a destructive tornado we're also planning on making a day trip out to the Bio Dome in Montreal--that place is amazing and I'd go back there all the time if it wasn't such a long drive.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alterian posted:

It didn't become the "Museum of Play" until around 2006 or so. My family is from Rochester (grew up there) and we visit once a year. We almost went this year with our toddler, but I think he was still a little too small.

How old is he? I think if he can handle a climbing structure in a playground he'd be just fine. There's tons of stuff for kids of any age. The whole working grocery store with play food, working cash registers, a little farm with produce to identify and pick was incredible. I can't believe we don't really have anything like this in Toronto. I guess the Ontario Science Centre would count but it's not really kid-focused like this was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He goes out on the playground at school at least a couple times a day, and we take him to one every saturday. I don't think there's such a thing as getting it out of his system unless he does it so much he falls asleep.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
My eight month old keeps hitting his head on the slats of his crib. He recently learned to pull himself to a stand, which of course he practices at every opportunity. The problem is he doesn't know how to sit back down so he just kind of topples over or slips down. During the day I watch him closely and let him practice without taking any hard falls. At night, though, he'll pull himself up on the crib slats, then fall and hit his head. His crib is in our room so sometimes I can intervene but sometimes he'll randomly practice standing at 3AM. I looked online and there are foam "crib rail protectors" ($100!), but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Anybody have this issue? What did you do?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

How old is he? I think if he can handle a climbing structure in a playground he'd be just fine. There's tons of stuff for kids of any age. The whole working grocery store with play food, working cash registers, a little farm with produce to identify and pick was incredible. I can't believe we don't really have anything like this in Toronto. I guess the Ontario Science Centre would count but it's not really kid-focused like this was.

He was 20 months at the time so it was borderline how much he would have gotten out of it. Its also only open from 10am - 5pm which is really horrible when he has naptime around noon - 3. We'll be going next summer when we go up there to visit family.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

My eight month old keeps hitting his head on the slats of his crib. He recently learned to pull himself to a stand, which of course he practices at every opportunity. The problem is he doesn't know how to sit back down so he just kind of topples over or slips down. During the day I watch him closely and let him practice without taking any hard falls. At night, though, he'll pull himself up on the crib slats, then fall and hit his head. His crib is in our room so sometimes I can intervene but sometimes he'll randomly practice standing at 3AM. I looked online and there are foam "crib rail protectors" ($100!), but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Anybody have this issue? What did you do?

I didn't do anything other than to comfort him when he did hit his head. I figured it was a phase that would rapidly pass as soon as he figured out how to intentionally sit down.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

I didn't do anything other than to comfort him when he did hit his head. I figured it was a phase that would rapidly pass as soon as he figured out how to intentionally sit down.

I did pretty much this, too. It only seemed to last a few days before Allison figured out how to sit down. Now if she tumbles and bumps her head on the table or something, she just gets back up and keeps on trucking. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I did pretty much this, too. It only seemed to last a few days before Allison figured out how to sit down. Now if she tumbles and bumps her head on the table or something, she just gets back up and keeps on trucking. :)

Aside from making sure they're not putting themselves in any danger, this is about all you can do. That and brace yourself for all the bumps and crashes that will take place after they figure out walking.