Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carteret posted:

A little late to auto chat, but our LMTVs and MTVs in the Army have these badboys:

Push button, wait for clunk.

Push down while going downhill, wait for all your passengers ASSISTANT DRIVERS to wake up BE FULLY AWARE when the thing gears down and starts slowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love driving the LMTV

N-N

N-7

7-7 (THUNK/THUD)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geirskogul posted:

I love driving the LMTV

N-N

N-7

7-7 (THUNK/THUD)

Yeah but the startup sound is Terrible Car Stuff.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

edit: GODDAMNIT, the whole reason I came here was to post a picture.

This Ford is usually parked in the street. It has a horseshoe tow "hook" on the rear bumper in neon green, and yes, the entire front clip is covered in LEDs. Even behind the grill. The one time I saw it on the road at night I had to pull over; it was like staring at the sun, it left me seeing spots for a good 5 minutes.

szidev posted:

Voice-controlled transmissions are the future. "Ok Google, 3rd gear."

We have 3 Android smartphones in this house. All running at least 4.0 (4.0 on one, 4.3 on another, 4.4.4 on mine).

It's endlessly amusing shouting "OKAY GOOGLE" at the dinner table to wake up all 3 phones and yelling "what is <something obscene and sexual>" and waiting for all 3 phones to start spouting off wikipedia information about, say, sex swings. The 4.0 one is picky about when it'll actually respond (generally the browser already needs to be open, or search needs to be open), the other two will basically respond instantly if the screen is on.

PCOS Bill posted:

"'B' mode is appropriate when descending long grades (i.e. descending down a mountain road), where if the driver uses the brake pedal to control the vehicle's speed, the vehicle's brake pads will overheat and fail. "

Yup, used B plenty when I was visiting my dad when he still had his Prius. He lives in El Paso, which has plenty of hills with some mountain roads (Trans Mountain, for example). It works really well.

Carteret posted:

A little late to auto chat, but our LMTVs and MTVs in the Army have these badboys:

Looks pretty much exactly what I saw on the city buses I used to ride every day (Gillig low floor). I guess they use the same control panel for their heavy civilian stuff? These were ~40 passenger buses with what I think were 6 or 7 speed autos. Could have even been 8 speed, I gave up trying to count.

xzzy posted:

Someday I want to take our Prius down a mountain, see what the car does if the battery ever hits 100% charged and it gets to a point where it's unsafe to continue trying to charge it.

Been there done that, it seemed to rely on engine braking alone once it was fully charged (this was a 2nd gen tho).

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have this argument at movie theaters all the time...

:)"I'd like a small soda."

:haw: "A large is only a quarter more!"

:) "But I want a small not a large..."

:confused: "It's such a good deal though. Are you sure?"

I can legit throw out the "dude, I'm loving diabetic, do you really want me to go into shock for a quarter?! And I can't stand diet sodas" line now.

My regular theater serves hard liquor and beer... in the theater itself, with table service... good thing I usually take the train there

Uthor posted:

Road head.

The only time I've ever hated having a manual. Nothing like getting... close.. and they knock it into 4th or neutral.

kastein posted:

This was false until the mid 00s, later on some makes.

It's also pretty annoying to come up with a durable gearshift type thingus that still has a good shift detent feel if it's only driving a sensor that runs the transmission electronics.

There's a surprising amount of logic that goes into synchronizing the selector and the actual transmission results and blocking disallowed shifts, too. It's a pain in the rear end.

(I'm working on exactly this kind of control system right now at work. It's surprisingly complex, and condensing it down and keeping the system as simple as possible with as few failure modes as possible takes a lot of thought.)

Suffice to say I think a knob to select PRNDL is retarded.

GM's been doing the at least semi-electronic shifter since the mid 90s. I know it wouldn't let me do stupid poo poo (except put it in park at speed, that made fun noises :haw: ) in a 99 Olds Intrigue (aka a Grand Prix with an even worse interior). Slam it into 1st at speed? Meh, it'll downshift as it pleases... then if you bang the rev limiter in 1st, it'll still upshift on you, all the way to 4th depending how much you drove it like you hated it. I'm sure it still had some sort of cable to the trans, but the transmission controller handled everything. The only way to disable traction control was to yank the fuse too.. and being a 3800, it had plenty of torque (the power/weight ratio kept going up as parts fell off the car; the interior was trash by 50k when it was traded in).

Also holy poo poo, after a few weeks of drinking Dr Pepper "10" when I actually drink soda (which still has a tiny, tiny bit of HFCS), I tried to drink an actual Dr Pepper the other day... and wanted to puke halfway through a 20 oz bottle, it's just too drat sweet. How the hell did I ever like that poo poo before? :stonk:

DrPain posted:

A friend sent me this.

Friend of mine has a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's in the shop for warranty work (been there for over 2 weeks for an alternator replacement...); there's an Enterprise on site that rents all sorts of stuff, but the dealer stated it had to be a Mopar product. The only Mopar product they had on hand was a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab.

That's exactly what the dash looked like. That, and I counted 10+ cup holders. 2 cup holders in EACH DOOR, plus in the consoles?! :psypop:

e: she's actually averaging 25+ mpg in it with all city driving, going by the trip computer. And she's been driving it like she stole it. That 8 (or 9?) speed trans is a weird beast, it feels so weird even as a passenger feeling it shifting so often. Watching the tach is weird too, it never really breaks 2000 unless you go balls (or in her case, ovaries) to the wall with the throttle. It really seems to hate shifting above 2000 unless it's drat near WOT.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

some texas redneck posted:

My regular theater serves hard liquor and beer... in the theater itself, with table service... good thing I usually take the train there

Alamo Drafthouse?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

there's an Enterprise on site that rents all sorts of stuff, but the dealer stated it had to be a Mopar product.

But... why would they even give a gently caress?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

We have 3 Android smartphones in this house. All running at least 4.0 (4.0 on one, 4.3 on another, 4.4.4 on mine).

It's endlessly amusing shouting "OKAY GOOGLE" at the dinner table to wake up all 3 phones and yelling "what is <something obscene and sexual>" and waiting for all 3 phones to start spouting off wikipedia information about, say, sex swings. The 4.0 one is picky about when it'll actually respond (generally the browser already needs to be open, or search needs to be open), the other two will basically respond instantly if the screen is on.

Just wait for always listening, voice controlled, Android smart watches to start making their way out to the public.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That's exactly what the dash looked like. That, and I counted 10+ cup holders. 2 cup holders in EACH DOOR, plus in the consoles?! :psypop:

I miss the additional cupholders that were in my Mazda6. It had one in each of the front door pockets. We'd usually shove a water bottle in those and then a soda/monster in the center cupholders on long trips. Maximum hydration.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Personally I'd just leave it if it was really low and on a plastic part. poo poo happens and that's why those panels are plastic.

So you really do go in for the 'Badge of Honor' thing, don't you?

Friend of mine has a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's in the shop for warranty work (been there for over 2 weeks for an alternator replacement...); there's an Enterprise on site that rents all sorts of stuff, but the dealer stated it had to be a Mopar product. The only Mopar product they had on hand was a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab.

The Power Wagons have waterproof storage in the footwells that are the perfect size for sixpacks and ice. The thing is basically built around being a drunk driving party wagon.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 21, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Carteret posted:

I see the Army finally got tired of privates smashing the poo poo out of expensive clutches :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

angryhampster posted:

I miss the additional cupholders that were in my Mazda6. It had one in each of the front door pockets. We'd usually shove a water bottle in those and then a soda/monster in the center cupholders on long trips. Maximum hydration.

The ones in my friend's 2003 Chevy Classic (aka 5th gen Malibu) are awful. There are two in the entire cabin, one in the center console, one that pops out of the dash to the left of the steering wheel right next to the vent/window. Doesn't help that he's a slob, so I have to hold my water bottle in my lap if we take it on a road trip as there will already be a drink or iPod or something in the center console and nowhere else I can stash it on the passenger side.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

So you really do go in for the 'Badge of Honor' thing, don't you?

Not so much "badge of honor," more of a "it's just a scratch and if it's on plastic it's not going to rust, and it's what bumpers are for."

Edit: just realized who I was replying to. Well played.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

The ones in my friend's 2003 Chevy Classic (aka 5th gen Malibu) are awful.

Let's be fair here, that's hardly where the awfulness stops. My dad had a Classic until someone rear-ended him in traffic. It put him in the hospital and ruined his career as an OTR driver (back injury, can't do the hours in a vehicle anymore, but he's also getting up there in age so it was inevitable) and I'm not sure it wasn't worth being rid of one more Classic on the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, it's a poo poo car, but it was a cheap 4 cylinder. He has a motorcycle for nice weather and a giant van that gets like 12 mpg for hauling band equipment, just needed something to get him to work in the rain/winter and something that wouldn't eat all his profits when he drives to conventions to sell art. It's a strict appliance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

I see the Army finally got tired of privates smashing the poo poo out of expensive clutches :v:

This is what we've got in all the fire trucks around here now too. Most of us buy Pierce, but i've seen them in KMEs and several other makes.

It's definitely about ease of driving/not breaking poo poo, but it only has happened since Alison made an autobox that can actually last on a heavy vehicle.

There's something unnerving about putting it back in D after engaging the PTO. I mean, we put the manuals in 3rd (usually) for the PTO so I'm used to that much, but at least you could feather the clutch out and make sure the drat thing wasn't going to try to lurch away on you (it's happened - sometimes the PTO just doesn't engage properly). Now I just mat the foot brake while I do it and hope.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Re: road head

The only time I've ever hated having a manual. Nothing like getting... close.. and they knock it into 4th or neutral.

Another plus for getting a short shifter :smug:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

kastein posted:

This was false until the mid 00s, later on some makes.

It's also pretty annoying to come up with a durable gearshift type thingus that still has a good shift detent feel if it's only driving a sensor that runs the transmission electronics.

There's a surprising amount of logic that goes into synchronizing the selector and the actual transmission results and blocking disallowed shifts, too. It's a pain in the rear end.

(I'm working on exactly this kind of control system right now at work. It's surprisingly complex, and condensing it down and keeping the system as simple as possible with as few failure modes as possible takes a lot of thought.)

Suffice to say I think a knob to select PRNDL is retarded.

I know this was a page ago or so but I too do algorithm control for engine management systems and the amount of complexity is staggering. Now we have to consider the potential nonlinearity of these new garage shift systems. P-D and D-P or R-D and D-R without going through the other gears first. This complicates idle control with torque based systems.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

edit: GODDAMNIT, the whole reason I came here was to post a picture.

This Ford is usually parked in the street. It has a horseshoe tow "hook" on the rear bumper in neon green, and yes, the entire front clip is covered in LEDs. Even behind the grill. The one time I saw it on the road at night I had to pull over; it was like staring at the sun, it left me seeing spots for a good 5 minutes.

A pathetic attempt to make your manhood seem larger while making your house seem smaller. Makes sense.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

veedubfreak posted:

In the new Chrysler 200 "America's Import" commercials they keep showing this bullshit like it's some huge deal that the removed the shifter and put in a selector. That's all we need is more room for hambeasts to put giant drinks between the seats.

NEVA BEEN DON BEFOE

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I find it funny people are getting all uptight that appliance cars don't have a giant horse cock in the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love it if everything were mounted on the dash again, I'm not sure if massive center consoles are considered a safety feature but I really miss the days when you could pop on the cruise control and stretch your legs out by reaching for the passenger side door.

Bench seats I could take or leave, they have their plusses and minuses.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

WTF???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Attachable-Work-Surface-Laptop-Rest-Meal-Tray-Auto-Mini-Desk-/321498022373

But don't worry they put a disclaimer on the ad:
"For safety reasons, never use the tray while driving."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Using that while driving would be quite a problem considering you have to turn the wheel upside down to use it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

angryhampster posted:

WTF???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Attachable-Work-Surface-Laptop-Rest-Meal-Tray-Auto-Mini-Desk-/321498022373

I think this has come up in the thread before, but basically remember that some people work out of their cars more or less full-time. The possibility that someone might clip it on while driving is not sufficient reason to completely poo poo-can the product, however much Reddit and Facebook may guffaw over the idea.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

Using that while driving would be quite a problem considering you have to turn the wheel upside down to use it.

Maybe in their photos, but that would work just fine in lots of vehicles without having to turn the wheel off of center.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

angryhampster posted:

WTF???

Those tiny little mcdonalds french fries photoshopped onto the product pic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't understand why people would choose to eat in their car. The parking lot at work has a few people park there for an hour everyday at lunch time. I'd much rather stay at McDonald's and eat at a table or find a park somewhere and eat under a tree.

Drive ins confuse me, too. The one near me has outdoor seating and I either eat at a table or go home and eat in front of the TV. I just don't get the enjoyment of a family of four eating inside their SUV parked in a lot on a nice summer weekend.

/kill joy

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

Probably a condition of the dealer sending its customers to Enterprise. When I worked there, the Caddy dealership had a condition that any of its customers it sent our way had to be put in Cadillacs, so we were the only branch for miles around that had them.

Of course the branch manager gets his pick of car at the end of the day and we didn't get a whole lot of such customers, so my boss was tooling around in our Escalade most of the time. It fit, though, as he actually was a drug dealer anyway.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Uthor posted:

I don't understand why people would choose to eat in their car. The parking lot at work has a few people park there for an hour everyday at lunch time. I'd much rather stay at McDonald's and eat at a table or find a park somewhere and eat under a tree.

Drive ins confuse me, too. The one near me has outdoor seating and I either eat at a table or go home and eat in front of the TV. I just don't get the enjoyment of a family of four eating inside their SUV parked in a lot on a nice summer weekend.

/kill joy

Because it's 100 degrees outside and my car has air conditioning and a radio*.

Also, as a gentleman of girth, I don't want to be judged for being at McDonald's even if I am, in fact, shoving french fries into my fat face. Everyone knows that people in cars are magically invisible to other people.

*By which I mean podcasts and streaming music, because I'm not in the Flintstones.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I was a kid we used to eat on the tailgate of our truck all the time during the summer so we could be out in the weather, but maybe in places where you get nicer weather than us you take it for granted.

Imagined posted:

Also, as a gentleman of girth, I don't want to be judged for being at McDonald's even if I am, in fact, shoving french fries into my fat face. Everyone knows that people in cars are magically invisible to other people.
Hire a skinny guy to go in and get your order for you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I live in the Midwest, so there's only like three months where it's not snowing, raining, or humid/hot.

I mean, I know there are a bunch of reasons why you'd eat in your car, but I would rather eat anywhere but there. If it's nice out, I'd rather eat outside. If it's crappy out, I'd rather eat at a table and not be cramped. The car itself is all downsides to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially modern cars, eating in car layers the center console with a crust of goo and crumbs. With all the seams and crevices it's impossible to get it clean.

I'm not OCD about keeping my interior pristine, but I don't want to have to feel ashamed every time a passenger gets in and has to sit next to that filth.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

think about it.

Friend of mine has a 2013 Chrysler 300 that's in the shop for warranty work (been there for over 2 weeks for an alternator replacement...)

Doubt that Dodge wants to foot the bill when one of their customers has to spend two weeks in one of their competitor's (functional) products.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: drive-in chat, my current fleet car is a Jeep Compass which has an open storage bin above the glove box:

Picked my wife up from work about a week ago and there's a local drive-in burger place a few blocks up the street from where she works, stopped there for dinner...turns out the little lip on that shelf works perfectly for mounting the tray that they normally hang on the window.

The same place also has trays with an adjustable claw that can be mounted on the inside your door (clips into the gap between the door card and the window) if you're eating at a drive-in in the winter or keeping your windows rolled up in the summer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Midniter posted:

Probably a condition of the dealer sending its customers to Enterprise. When I worked there, the Caddy dealership had a condition that any of its customers it sent our way had to be put in Cadillacs, so we were the only branch for miles around that had them.

Exactly this. Also, Chrysler is footing the bill for the rental.

e;f;b

Uthor posted:

On my way to work, I often stop and grab something to eat, get to work, then eat in my car. Then take a nap in the car until it's time to work. I don't like (noisy) restaurants, and I don't like even running the risk of being late to work.

Yeah, uses up a little gas to run the a/c while I catch a few zzz's, but sometimes you just gotta get out of the house early.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

racean stack

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

racean stack

Pre-blackened! Get that coal-rollin' look while staying environment-friendly!*

*as environment-friendly as your enormous brotruck can be, anyway

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bajaha posted:

Re: road head

Another plus for getting a short shifter :smug:

Not according to your girlfriend!!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Honestly if the fender wells were cut for proper uptravel/clearance I'd drive that loving thing all day. Forever. For once, a car-truck abomination with wheelbase that matches the fender wells!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And in the doing it wrong departent, this thing is STILL for sale for 50 grand.