Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

YorexTheMad posted:

Slightly awkward question but bear with me.

I got into MtG with a casual group of friends (Innistrad through Return to Ravnica) and had a lot of fun with it, but never did any FNM or tournament stuff. I fell out of playing when I moved away from that old group but now I'm itching to play again. What's the easiest way to get back into playing Magic? I have a Selesnya deck I had built and had fun with, would that still be legal in the FNM format or would I need to get new sets? If I need new cards should I just buy a preconstructed deck from a vendor or boxes to build my own from scratch?

I'd ask if FNMs were usually chill or if they were hardcore fighting times, but I imagine that varies a ton from place to place. I'm hoping I can find a chill place.

Whether FNM is casual or serious is really area dependant. Mine is a fairly casual place. Mix of highschoolers and adults playing card games for fun.

Standard is currently RTR, M14, Theros, and M15. RTR and M14 cycle out of Standard when Khans comes out at the end of September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Boco_T posted:

Today's Jacob Wilson Alexander Hayne Team-Up Video is the best one since last time they did one:
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-jacob-wilson-modern-troll-merfolk/
This time they took Merfolk, made it worse, hosed up the mana base to include only 2 Islands, and splashed BOIL~!

Super secret hint: watch Match 4, Game 2. Also, every time Jacob plays Wanderwine Hub.

Oh hell, they did it again. I love it so much.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
In vaguely related related WotC news, Kaijudo (AKA baby's first Magic) is shutting down. I'll always have fond memories of learning how to play Kaijudo while waiting for the Modern Masters draft to get started at my old LGS with the sample decks the owner showered upon us as he was saddled with a shitload of Kaijudo product by his distributor in exchange for a few more boxes of that sweet MMA. For those of you who never had a chance to play, imagine a world where Magic has 40 card decks with 3-of playsets, you can play any card as a land of that card's color (and there are no actual lands), only the precombat main phase, no instants, and you die once you've been hit by five creatures regardless of their power. I'm sure there's more to it, but it basically boiled down to "I'd rather be playing Magic" for adults and "I'd rather play Magic like the grownups" for kids. The game didn't fail for lack of WotC trying to keep it afloat though, the store was heavily incentivized to try to run Kaijudo events and get kids hooked, usually in the form of tons of distributor credit towards other Wizards product and promises of extra high demand MtG stuff. The store was also given tons of promo cards and materials for running scheduling events like leagues and the Kaijudo equivalent of Game Day in the Wizards event locator. A grand total of zero people showed up to play in these events even though the store was the only store for miles and miles on the Maryland side of the DC metro area. The promos are actually pretty sweet, I use them as generic tokens for players who don't have corresponding tokens for their deck (a crime that should be punishable by death. Behold them in all their glory:

(Note the sweet "Attack Raptor" creature type and edge to edge foiling)

Alas, Kaijudo you were too beautiful for this world, perhaps you can rise from the ashes anew in a few years when WotC tries to get kids hooked on Magic at an early age again. If nothing else, I'll always have the memories of watching this eBay seller descend into madness trying to recoup his investment on having a full expansion BGS graded before giving up and selling for a huge loss.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah our LGS owner in Vienna, VA was super into Kaijudo and the last few months he'd been offering completely free drafts on Sundays and only 1-3 people would show up.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Duel masters was a fun game, it's unfortunate that I was never able to find folks to play with back then. The mechanics were pretty darn cool.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That of course came from Duel Masters, Yugioh and Magic's illicit child. There's a really long story to be told here, but long story short, it also failed in the US. Duel Masters does seem to be doing quite well in Japan though... just not as well as Yugioh and Magic.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

Death Bot posted:

The point isn't that it's scaring away people who are already playing, it's the people who might play occasionally ignoring it because it's impenetrable.

Yeah, seconding this. I was getting back into Magic over this last year and was very much considering starting up MTGO for occasional drafts and gradually more, maybe streaming myself... and then the V4 switch happened, and my interest in buying in completely died.

Even giving the benefit of the doubt and hoping that the performance and stability and minor issues will improve over time, the new UI is utterly unsuitable for videos, streaming, or anything other than a desktop monitor. In V3 I could watch a twitch stream on medium quality and distinguish everything easily. Text on cards might be blurry but the pictures and things like life totals and hand sizes were crisp and distinguishable. Try and watch a stream or video of V4 and... nope. I often can't tell cards apart, and there's absolutely no hope of seeing, say, the opponent's hand size.

So, as a direct result of the switchover, the amount of MTG content I watch dropped by like 90%. There was a while when Magic would regularly be in the top 10 popular games on twitch, but now it's hovering down around #30. I know people are posting that CoD screenshot and stuff, and yeah people who are already into it will probably stay in, but trying to buy in now without a previous investment seems kind of absurd and masochistic. (And for that matter, I'm not even all that sure about people staying in, a lot of the streamers I used to watch have effectively quit doing so, or switched to Hearthstone either partially or completely. And they certainly were heavily enfranchised players.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Can someone explain this art to me?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Her memory is going on a journey down her spine in an elevator.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Not without a smirk on my face I couldn't

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

I love how surreal and abstract Magic art can get.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
It's pretty. Which is a nice change for Magic art.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
If you're having issues with V4, you should check out XMage. It's a fairly recent addition to the Magic program field, but this one has rules enforcement, with 8500+ cards implemented and new cards being added constantly. You can see what cards are/aren't implemented here. I'm one of the people contributing card implementations to the project (it's fairly simple to stitch together parts of other cards into something working if you have a bit of programming knowledge), so if there are any specific cards you think should be jumped front of the line, just post them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Ooh, are we posting our favorite weird Blue card art?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Rinkles posted:

Part of the fun of abstract art is interpreting it yourself. Lazy.

How Maniak came up with it, I don't know, but he's one of the artists they're happy to give minimal art descriptions to and then let him loose, and I'd bet this is one of those cases. I have no idea how you'd even do an art description for that. Incidentally, it's one of a number of counterpoints to crusty old grognards whining about how Magic art is never stylised or abstract any more and always sticks to the style guide and is overly directed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I love how surreal and abstract Magic art can get.

Yep, Terese Nielsen is the best at abstract blue cards

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I actually wish they'd let Terese do more non blue cards. Magic could use more genuinely scary, disarming demons, and crazy looking red monstrosities.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ThirdEmperor posted:

I actually wish they'd let Terese do more non blue cards. Magic could use more genuinely scary, disarming demons, and crazy looking red monstrosities.

They let her make lands!

I really want those judge foils.

E: Dictate if Heliod was amazing too and even a white card

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 22, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Incidentally, it's one of a number of counterpoints to crusty old grognards whining about how Magic art is never stylised or abstract any more and always sticks to the style guide and is overly directed.

Even in its abstraction it fits squarely into the pseudo-photographic mold of recent sets.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

UberJew posted:

drat straight.

Sealed Fate

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bugsy posted:

drat straight.

Sealed Fate

I am angry that such great art is on a card that isn't that good.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Even in its abstraction it fits squarely into the pseudo-photographic mold of recent sets.

I will still never understand why "uniform art direction" is a bad thing for a brand that's attempting to make "distinct visual style" one of its major points.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We need more stasis art hth.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I will still never understand why "uniform art direction" is a bad thing for a brand that's attempting to make "distinct visual style" one of its major points.

This could be done with sweet folio or stasis or blue mana battery art and not the CGI crap they have going on now that looks like Warcraft or any other fantasy brand. Like seriously they can stick liliana on a pathfinder book.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 22, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yeah man, I look at Ice Age cards and I'm like, man, what is this poo poo? Pokemon?? :rolleye:

But in all seriousness, if "distinct visual style" means canning (explictly or otherwise) DiTerlizzi, old-style Quinton Hoover, etc., I'm comfortable saying that that's a bad thing. Uniform art direction might not be a bad thing from the point of view of "MUST HAVE DISTINCT VISUAL STYLE" but that's just passing the buck as to why it's ultimately bad.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chill la Chill posted:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Ooh, are we posting our favorite weird Blue card art?

This has my favorite flavor text.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

because cg art is lifeless and boring

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

This could be done with sweet folio or stasis or blue mana battery art and not the CGI crap they have going on now that looks like Warcraft or any other fantasy brand. Like seriously they can stick liliana on a pathfinder book.

It's funny you mention this because Wayne Reynolds is actually a major artist for Pathfinder.

UberJew posted:

Literally my favorite card art of all time is Terese's Swords to Plowshares.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 22, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Yeah man, I look at Ice Age cards and I'm like, man, what is this poo poo? Pokemon?? :rolleye:

But in all seriousness, if "distinct visual style" means canning (explictly or otherwise) DiTerlizzi, old-style Quinton Hoover, etc., I'm comfortable saying that that's a bad thing. Uniform art direction might not be a bad thing from the point of view of "MUST HAVE DISTINCT VISUAL STYLE" but that's just passing the buck as to why it's ultimately bad.

DiTerlizzi and Hoover being absent is absolutely a problem because they're fantastic artists, but I just think that a lot of older Magic card art is praised entirely out of nostalgia for a different era of fantasy art. Just a bit upthread people were discussing Phil Foglio's art, and while it's certainly novel, it's also the posterchild for "slightly goofy, not-quite-Steve-Jackson early '90s TTRPG supplement" art. The fact that Wayne Reynolds is as prolific as he is on Magic art is pretty much the number one way Wizards has of communicating that they're interested in the "dungeonpunk" look more than the "FLGS bookshelf" look.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both old Magic art and new Magic art are entirely gunning for one style or another, and to say that anything other than old Alpha/Beta stuff was wildly creative/evocative is missing the point that almost all art produced for Magic has been made specifically to fit preexisting fantasy archetypes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I feel elves is always safer because it's so easy to have a good amount of gy hate just naturally.

I went with Elves. It was slightly pricier, but also easier to flip the pieces again if I change decks. Also, I don't feel like games where a turn 2 Rest in Peace means I scoop sound very fun....both decks scoop to an Elesh Norn, but it feels harder to hate on Elves and at least I'll have things to do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This owns is there a large enough image for a battle blanket? I'm on my phone so can't tell how big it is

Oraculum Animi posted:

It's funny you mention this because Wayne Reynolds is actually a major artist for Pathfinder.

Ugh drat no wonder. Tell that guy the sorceress art sucks. Is she on a model runway with that gait?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Boco_T posted:

Yeah our LGS owner in Vienna, VA was super into Kaijudo and the last few months he'd been offering completely free drafts on Sundays and only 1-3 people would show up.

I would have drafted free Kaijudo all day every day for kicks, it was interesting enough to play in a "what the hell is going on" context but not enough to pay for it. A couple of guys in my playgroup offered to buy all of the store's product about a year ago at cost so we could do that, but the owner shot it down because he wanted to hit at least a 30% margin on it or something even though he sold exactly one starter set (to a Magic Player who wanted the sweet deck boxes it came with) and a handful of boosters. I should check in and see if that deal is still on the table.

YorexTheMad posted:

Slightly awkward question but bear with me.

I got into MtG with a casual group of friends (Innistrad through Return to Ravnica) and had a lot of fun with it, but never did any FNM or tournament stuff. I fell out of playing when I moved away from that old group but now I'm itching to play again. What's the easiest way to get back into playing Magic? I have a Selesnya deck I had built and had fun with, would that still be legal in the FNM format or would I need to get new sets? If I need new cards should I just buy a preconstructed deck from a vendor or boxes to build my own from scratch?

I'd ask if FNMs were usually chill or if they were hardcore fighting times, but I imagine that varies a ton from place to place. I'm hoping I can find a chill place.

As Cernunnos said and you surmised, it does vary from place to place. If you have the luxury of having multiple stores in your area shop around and try out a few places, you can try hitting weekend/weekday tournaments or casual nights if they offer them as those tend to mirror what the FNM scene looks like (in my experience anyways). If you only have cards from Innistrad through RTR hold off on buying cards until September 26, when Khans of Tarkir becomes legal and all your RTR cards aren't standard legal anymore. If you've got the budget for it take a look at decks that will spring up immediately once the set is fully spoiled and see what looks fun to you and buy all the singles you need from the internet, your store, or our very own buying/selling/trading thread. If you're a little more limited, give FNM drafts a try, it can be intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it it's objectively the best way to play magical cards and you can start building up a collection of standard cards/trade fodder if that's what you really want to be doing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sliver hive into hive lord? Endless hornets? Idgi.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Heavy Lobster posted:

DiTerlizzi and Hoover being absent is absolutely a problem because they're fantastic artists, but I just think that a lot of older Magic card art is praised entirely out of nostalgia for a different era of fantasy art. Just a bit upthread people were discussing Phil Foglio's art, and while it's certainly novel, it's also the posterchild for "slightly goofy, not-quite-Steve-Jackson early '90s TTRPG supplement" art. The fact that Wayne Reynolds is as prolific as he is on Magic art is pretty much the number one way Wizards has of communicating that they're interested in the "dungeonpunk" look more than the "FLGS bookshelf" look.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both old Magic art and new Magic art are entirely gunning for one style or another, and to say that anything other than old Alpha/Beta stuff was wildly creative/evocative is missing the point that almost all art produced for Magic has been made specifically to fit preexisting fantasy archetypes.
Hoover's absent because he died. :smith: Sucks, he was pretty good too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well poo poo. Apparently the format for MOCS this season is Legacy. That's great....except I don't yet have a Legacy deck online.

I've been taking a look at building Dredge or Elves, as they're relatively cheap (I already have all of the fetchlands for Elves, which isn't AS cheap but that helps the price tag considerably).

I play Miracles normally, but I can't drop a grand on the manabase and Jaces right now.

Which of these two do you feel is the better placed deck right now? Or is neither going to be competitive enough and I should just find a way to make a real deck.

A grand? On MTGO? I'm not even sure what in that deck would cost a grand online. I mean, you can get away with not having Flooded Strand.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there anyone that streams MTGO that doesn't do it alone, playing music, with a facecam?

Is this something to aim for? most mtgo streams dont get enough viewers chatting, so music keeps the stream from being quiet for like 90% of the time.

I stream commander sometimes but if I dont have anyone to talk to i'll have music on. No face cam yet though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
One of my favorite MTGO price quirks is that 4 JTMS cost less than 4 Force of Wills (which, in turn, cost slightly less than a single Liliana of the Veil). Lili's secondary market value is insane.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

One of my favorite MTGO price quirks is that 4 JTMS cost less than 4 Force of Wills (which, in turn, cost slightly less than a single Liliana of the Veil). Lili's secondary market value is insane.

The fact that Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Force of Will are both contained in currently in-print set probably helps.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Ugh drat no wonder. Tell that guy the sorceress art sucks. Is she on a model runway with that gait?

Wayne Reynolds never drew Liliana, though? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wayne Reynolds never drew Liliana, though? :confused:

If he did, her arms would be all flung out to each side at bonebreaking angles and she'd be bristling with spikes.

• Locked thread