Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wachter posted:

Because tits, I guess?

Yes but there are plenty of better T&A-showcase costumes that get paraded around all the time at Marvel and DC alike, is my point. She-Hulk, Black Cat, Carol Danvers, pretty much every single lady on the X-roster, Sue goddamn Storm, and the list goes on. Why is Spider-woman the one that seems to most-often hit artists' "lack of grace" button? Nothing about her outfit is particularly appealing beyond being skintight and framing her tits, qualities which all the other female characters I've mentioned also have in spades.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's cause the character was brought back because she was one of Bendis' adolescent sexual fantasies. Her inexplicable allure was even a plot point.

I know that but even Bendis can't possibly have the kind-of clout that no one on a team of experts in visual craft hasn't said at one point or another "Wow her costume is really loving ugly and needs an update."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zoux posted:

Was Bendis the one that invented the pheromones thing?

The sexual allure pheromones thing, I think so, yeah. Before she used them to strike fear into the hearts of men. But I could be wrong.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Amusingly enough, a couple years ago, I commissioned a piece from Rafael Albuquerque with Spider-woman and Ms. Marvel (Danvers). What I got is probably one of the least exploitative and restrained pieces I've ever seen of either character on top of being utterly amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carol's old uniform is pretty risque as well, but yeah that dude did a good job minimizing the overt sexuality.

More than once reading old Ms. Marvel stuff I was like, how is that costume staying out of her vagina.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unstable molecules is always the answer, sadly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Unstable molecules is always the answer, sadly.

Tell me this has not actually been addressed in a comic book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The fact that you even think it could have been says a lot, doesn't it?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

mind the walrus posted:

Why is Spider-woman the one that seems to most-often hit artists' "lack of grace" button?

This, I can't answer.

The pheromone power makes her costume especially redundant. If you have the magic power to make men fall in love with you, why the big titty body stocking? But follow this line of thinking to its ultimate destination and you end up at "why wear a costume at all?", with a rest stop at "is wearing the same brightly-coloured uniform every day really the best way to preserve your anonymity?"

You can make the same observation that Alan Moore did in Watchmen: that superheroes/villains are all, to some degree, insane perverts indulging in sadomasochistic exhibitionist orgies in their dayglo gimp suits (as if that justifies anything), but it's probably simpler and more realistic to say, yeah, tits and Bendis. I don't have an LCS anywhere near me, nor do I follow sales numbers, so I can't say for certain that tits sell books, but I'd bet you real money that both Marvel and DC think they do. Hence why, out of all the possible permutations of ink and pencil that can go on the front of a comic book, we still get the Manara Spider-Woman and Red Hood & The Outlaws #32 in TYOOL 2014.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

The thing is, it is highly erotic, and always has been. That's why they wear the underwear on the outside to begin with. Skintight Ken and Barbie stuff actually seems way creepier to me since they clearly aren't wearing any clothes and there is no attempt to depict "material". Spider Woman's costume is just straight up a painted nude. Not for nothing do they give Manara work, you get what you're asking for there. Why be coy, as long as we're doing this thing?

So, to confirm, it's fine to color a nude figure as long as you draw lines where the underwear should be and make it a different color? But, if you don't do this, it's sexual.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well..... yeah? Haven't you paid any attention at all to superhero pin-ups (of both genders) for the last 30 years? It's the most open secret the industry has.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Any drawing where you can actually see the full indentation of their belly button is just completely ridiculous.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Amusingly enough, a couple years ago, I commissioned a piece from Rafael Albuquerque with Spider-woman and Ms. Marvel (Danvers). What I got is probably one of the least exploitative and restrained pieces I've ever seen of either character on top of being utterly amazing.

Super cool looking piece. I really like it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MY ABACUS! posted:

So, to confirm, it's fine to color a nude figure as long as you draw lines where the underwear should be and make it a different color? But, if you don't do this, it's sexual.

What do you object to? Are these not idealized, eroticized bodies with the nipples taped down? I'll go to bat for Manara, he's not pretending.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dacap posted:

Any drawing where you can actually see the full indentation of their belly button is just completely ridiculous.

You don't vacuum pack yourself into your clothes? Man, you're really missing out.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I wasn't the one objecting. I just found it amusing that people's problem with the Spiderwoman drawing was just that her crotch doesn't have panty lines on the sides.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MY ABACUS! posted:

I wasn't the one objecting. I just found it amusing that people's problem with the Spiderwoman drawing was just that her crotch doesn't have panty lines on the sides.

Its more the pose.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Its more the pose.

Google "Spider-man crawling".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MY ABACUS! posted:

Google "Spider-man crawling".

No, I agree, but I'm not going to pretend there's nothing else staring you in the face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's one of the first valid uses of the "male superheroes are like that too" I've ever seen, but even then I'd say that the majority of Spider-man crawling poses are usually in the context of him doing something while this is clearly designed as a pin-up by virtue of being a cover, which makes the whole doggy-style pose stand out more, and for the record I've noticed the same thing on Spider-man covers.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I challenge anyone to find a picture of Spider-Man with equivalent plunging rear end-cleavage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Spidey is one of the few heroes that legitimately does get loving rear end shots so that does tip it a little.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this the part of the conversation where someone says that male superheroes are also idealized?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Is this the part of the conversation where someone says that male superheroes are also idealized?

They are, but the typical comic book artist has no idea what's sexually appealing about men's bodies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Or more accurately the vast majority of artists draw men in poses of idealized power fantasies and not sexual fantasies.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I've always suspected that when Spider-woman crawled it was for sex but when Spider-man did it, it was for spidering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MY ABACUS! posted:

I've always suspected that when Spider-woman crawled it was for sex but when Spider-man did it, it was for spidering.

A literal superpower of hers is that she's sexually manipulative and predatory. The male equivalent would be Daken, I think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MY ABACUS! posted:

Yes that is exactly what I said you win master of paraphrasing award 2014. :golfclap:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

From Electra #5 by Mike Del Mundo.

He also did the X-Men Legacy covers which are some of the best covers I've ever seen.

Thanks for these. Somebody posted a bunch of his poo poo several pages back and it made me look him up. Dude is amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yes but there are plenty of better T&A-showcase costumes that get paraded around all the time at Marvel and DC alike, is my point. She-Hulk, Black Cat, Carol Danvers, pretty much every single lady on the X-roster, Sue goddamn Storm, and the list goes on. Why is Spider-woman the one that seems to most-often hit artists' "lack of grace" button? Nothing about her outfit is particularly appealing beyond being skintight and framing her tits, qualities which all the other female characters I've mentioned also have in spades.

I know that but even Bendis can't possibly have the kind-of clout that no one on a team of experts in visual craft hasn't said at one point or another "Wow her costume is really loving ugly and needs an update."

I've always thought the inherently sexy thing about Spider-Woman's costume is to envision the yellow sections as sheer or transparent or just not there at all. Cho and Maleev definitely picked up on this.

Insomniac
Aug 4, 2004
...imaginary...

Wachter posted:

I challenge anyone to find a picture of Spider-Man with equivalent plunging rear end-cleavage.

Insomniac fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 22, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh, that isn't really plunging. Though a lot of time was spent crafting that rear end.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I knew Dan Slott would reveal his account given enough time.

(C'mon now that Spider-Man piece isn't done in a sexual way)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shut up about butts. Here's a neat page from this week's Ms. Marvel.
Follow 'em from the ladder up.

Ms. Marvel #7

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for these. Somebody posted a bunch of his poo poo several pages back and it made me look him up. Dude is amazing.

What's cool about them also is that they directly relate to an element of the story in the book. Looking at them beforehand you wouldn't get it but after reading the comic you could look at it again and know exactly how it relates to the story. Covers often have nothing to do with what's going on in the book and it's cool to see an artist be both creative and relevant.

Separate question: Are there no more "iconic" covers or panels anymore? Most of us could list off a number of iconic art pieces and most of us would agree (Silver Surfer falling, "now it's my turn", "We would have words with thee", etc.) and many of these pieces are referenced/homaged many many times by current artists. So what is the latest panel or cover that you would argue is iconic that you think most fans would agree with?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Are there no more "iconic" covers or panels anymore?

I dunno if it did for a lot of people, but the cold opening page for the Batman RIP storyline has stuck with me for six years now.

Then with "six months earlier" the story starts.

e: Almost a decde old now, but there's the cover of All-Star Superman #1.

ee: Ms. Marvel #1's has got to be up there for recent years.

These days with as few people reading comic books as there are, you can't expect too much to catch on ubiquitously, unless maybe for the wrong reasons. Spider-Woman's butt probably has the best chance out of any other piece of art this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 22, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

ee: Ms. Marvel #1's has got to be up there for recent years.

I'm calling that one an homage to PAD's Supergirl #1.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shut up about butts. Here's a neat page from this week's Ms. Marvel.
Follow 'em from the ladder up.

Ms. Marvel #7

Why the hell do I wanna say I've seen that gemstone formation in the bottom left before? At the same time as it's kinda generic, it's also kinda not, but I can't recall where exactly.

Then again, for some reason someone scrawled what I think is the Konami code on the wall.

Also a Super Mario brick, for whatever reason.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bloodly posted:

Why the hell do I wanna say I've seen that gemstone formation in the bottom left before? At the same time as it's kinda generic, it's also kinda not, but I can't recall where exactly.

Lego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

zoux posted:

From Electra #5 by Mike Del Mundo.

He also did the X-Men Legacy covers which are some of the best covers I've ever seen.

These are all really good and cool, but SADD is my favorite

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 22, 2014